ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Parken Stadium, Copenhagen 5th August 2007
© Politiken with thanks to Montana!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Country's top 100 Return to archive
29th July 2007 04:34 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Posted on Sun, Jul. 29,
It's all about hurtin', holdin' and hangovers in our list of the genre's all-time best songs

By Shirley Jinkins and Malcolm Mayhew
Star-Telegram Staff Writer;
Special to the Star-Telegram

Country's top 100

Just as they did with rock 'n' roll, naysayers once predicted that country music wouldn't last, that it was just a passing fad. Of course, a lot of that naysaying happened in the 1980s, when Elvira was popular. Who coulda blamed 'em for wanting that song to go away?

But country music, of course, hasn't gone anywhere. If anything, its popularity has blossomed even more than at the height of the so-called "Urban Cowboy" movement in the '80s. Country music today has as big a role in popular music as hip-hop, rock, indie-rock and every other genre, and looking back at country's history, it's safe to say that pop music wouldn't be what it is today had Johnny Cash, George Jones, George Strait and the Dixie Chicks not come along.

Here is our tribute to all of those artists and the many others who shaped or otherwise significantly contributed to country music -- a list of the 100 best country songs of all time.

We kept this list, in the words of Strait, pure country: No Wilco. No Flying Burrito Brothers. No Old 97's. No alt-country -- there's a time and place for honoring those heroes, and this ain't it.

We based this list on two things: popularity and our own opinions. Just because a song was popular, however, doesn't mean it made the cut. Same goes for the quality of the songs; because of space restrictions, we had to leave a bunch of our faves on the editing-room floor.

Still, in our opinions, these are indeed the 100 best country songs of all time. Let the disagreeing begin.

1. Ring of Fire, Johnny Cash

The horns, the tempo, Cash's smoldering voice and June Carter's dead-on songwriting remain as exciting now as in the 1960s.

2. Sweet Dreams, Patsy Cline

The gold standard of songs for Cline wannabes -- it takes pluck to attempt her triumph of vocal range and emotion.

3.Mama Tried,Merle Haggard

Haggard was still a handsome rebel himself when this tale of misspent youth made us all a little restless.

4.He Stopped Loving Her Today,George Jones

Death, unrequited love, third-party gossip, it's all here -- along with Jones' hangdog baritone.

5. Whiskey River, Willie Nelson

How many concerts have you attended that started with TWANG, TWANG, TWANG, TWANG, then these two words? We thought so.

6. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, Hank Williams Sr.

He had bigger hits, but Williams' elemental ode to sadness has been covered by dozens of artists and taken to heart by millions of fans.

7. Faded Love,Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys If the twin fiddles of this Texas dancehall favorite don't get you, move somewhere else. Quickly.

8. Orange Blossom Special,Johnny Cash

Of the many versions of this fiddler's classic, anyone can sing along with Johnny Cash's cover of THE best train song ever.

9. King of the Road, Roger Miller

A quirky, laid-back singalong song that was novel enough in the '60s to draw rock-crazed crowds back into country music. Fort Worth native Miller was the perfect foil for the British popsters of the day.

10. Cryin' Time, Ray Charles

Another vintage 1960s song that gave people something to slow-dance to, as Charles' wistful voice transformed the mournful tune into a crossover hit.

11.The Devil Went Down to Georgia,

the Charlie Daniels Band

The drama, the sizzle of an irresistible melody paired with a good-versus-evil morality tale, all delivered with lightning-fast licks.

12. Blue Moon of Kentucky,Bill Monroe and his Blue Grass Boys Often covered, never imitated, Blue Moon helped the Father of Bluegrass introduce a new American music form to commercial audiences.

13.Luckenbach, Texas,Waylon Jennings "Baby, let's sell your diamond ring, buy some boots and faded jeans and go away," sang grizzled ol' Jennings, drawing country fans away from slick Nashville and "back to the basics of love."

14.San Antonio Rose,Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys Another Western Swing classic that put Wills and company on every jukebox shortlist in the '40s and keeps cheerfully scooting boots even today.

15.I Can't Stop Loving You,Ray Charles Another Charles classic from his country years that continues to find appreciative audiences and willing vocalists.

16.Stand By Your Man, Tammy Wynette The country woman's anthem, presented with loyalty and resignation, though somehow we all knew Wynette really wouldn't put up with all that funny business. One bad marriage to George Jones later, she didn't.

17.Making Believe,Emmylou Harris Harris' sadly eloquent voice made this song of self-deception more than a tear-jerker du jour.

18.Coat of Many Colors, Dolly Parton This homespun country tale of a loving but impoverished childhood introduced fans to Parton's warmth and storytelling capabilities.

19. You Never Even Called Me by My Name,David Allan Coe And now for something completely different -- Coe's masterpiece of irreverence is a song-within-a-song that still has all of country music laughing at itself (and at mama, trains, prison and gettin' drunk ...).

20. Folsom Prison Blues,Johnny Cash There were plenty of songs about being sent to prison, but when Cash performed Folsom Prison Blues, outsiders could finally grasp the frustration and boredom of those who were in prison.

21.Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down, Kris Kristofferson Everyone, including Johnny Cash, rushed to cover this portrait of despair and isolation after Kristofferson's recording, but his own world-weary voice means that this remains the best version.

22.Countin' Flowers on the Wall,the Statler Brothers Quirky on the surface and ultimately more sinister, this song lightheartedly danced into the mind of a cheerful man losing his grip on reality. Millions of fans embraced its split personality.

23.Behind Closed Doors,Charlie Rich Sexy, sultry Rich was dubbed the Silver Fox when he recorded this sophisticated love song that pointed out the virtues of privacy.

24.Take This Job & Shove It,Johnny Paycheck Oh, come on, there isn't a rank-and-file wage-earner alive who hasn't committed Paycheck's timeless working-class rant to memory.

25.It's Only Make Believe, Conway Twitty Power ballads like this song, with its building crescendo, helped make the strong-voiced Twitty a staple on the country concert circuit until his death in 1993.

26.Walking the Floor Over You, Ernest Tubb Though Tubb had a voice only a bullfrog could love, the straightforward lyrics and easy melody made this song a two-stepping favorite, and only Tubb's version will do.

27.Your Cheatin' Heart,Hank Williams Sr. Williams was already dead in 1953 when fans first heard this good rant about a bad woman. The song is loads better than the 1964 movie bio of the same name.

28.I Hope You Dance,Lee Ann Womack The hopeful advice of this heart-tugger from 2000 was the perfect sendoff for old flames, new college students, best friends and significant others.

29.Will the Circle Be Unbroken,the Carter Family In 1933, A.P., Sara and Maybelle Carter recorded this song of desperate hope during the deepest years of the Great Depression, and its simple optimism is still comforting today.

30.El Paso,Marty Robbins Robbins' border song of lust and gunplay stands as the most intriguing story-song ever.

31.Waltz Across Texas,Ernest Tubb Tubb's voice and the simple lyrics lent a spare, moonlit-night quality to this waltz, which makes Texans proud to be where they are.

32.Hello Darlin',Conway Twitty An intimate song that's both a conversation and a romantic ballad, and it's the one Twitty fans always remember first.

33.Before the Next Teardrop Falls,Freddy Fender Here's Freddy's signature, a rich bilingual dance favorite from the '70s that had everyone singing along, though not as distinctively as the crooning Fender.

34.Crazy,Patsy Cline One of Willie Nelson's finest compositions paired beautifully with Cline's conversational, why-am-I-doing-this tone.

35.Okie From Muskogee, Merle Haggard An anthem for many, mere irony for some, this song made a middle-America statement at the end of the turbulent 1960s.

36.Help Me Make It Through the Night, Kris Kristofferson It was recorded by many, but Kristofferson nailed the loneliness behind many a love tryst.

37.Walking After Midnight,Patsy Cline We promise we won't list every Cline hit here, but can't you picture her restlessly pacing in the dark on this one?

38.Family Tradition,Hank Williams Jr. Bocephus' bit of rowdy genealogy gave country fans a sense of continuity as new artists moved in on the charts during the late '70s and early '80s.

39.I'm Gonna Miss Her (The Fishin' Song),Brad Paisley Looky here, Paisley's biting comment on female-versus-fish struck a nerve with millions of guys who'd trade a creek bank for a couch any day.

40.Blue, LeAnn Rimes Rimes' yodel-friendly delivery of this Bill Mack composition moved the darling of Dallas-Fort Worth into the national spotlight and helped revive a love of classic sounds.

41.On the Other Hand,Randy Travis Temptation. Fidelity. Powerful themes, delivered in Travis' weathered baritone, though he seemed too young for this in the late 1980s.

42.Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain, Willie Nelson This sentimental folkish tune could've been a Carter Family song in the 1930s, but Nelson brought the gentle ballad into the outlaw movement with no sweat.

43.I Will Always Love You,Dolly Parton Parton's at her best on sweet, sad ballads like this one.

44.Make the World Go Away,Eddy Arnold What a universal and timeless sentiment, not to mention a rich delivery by one smooth stylist. Makes you want to sit by a fireplace and cuddle.

45.39 and Holding,Jerry Lee Lewis Boomers, this is your country song, delivered in honky-tonk style by a rockabilly pioneer.

46.Live Like You Were Dyin', Tim McGraw A sensitive song about living well, wistfully delivered by McGraw, who can display a wide range of emotion.

47.Wildwood Flower,June Carter Cash Cash's versions of her family's timeless folk tale ranged from outgoing in her youth to pensive as she aged. Only a great singer, and a great song, can do that.

48.Act Naturally,Buck Owens Yes, we know about Ringo Starr's version, but Owens' 1960s cut was full of fun and irony, 'cuz he could play the part so well.

49.Guitars, Cadillacs, Dwight Yoakam Hillbilly music made a huge comeback in the late '80s, when slinky Dwight Yoakam brought nasal distinction to a song about all the trappings.

50.My Home's in Alabama, Alabama The leadoff, title track to Alabama's 1980 album set the stage for all the band's hits to come. But it also epitomized the group's home-state love and simple approach to making music.

51.The Dance,Garth Brooks If Brooks knew how to do anything, it was construct emotionally riveting ballads that touched a nerve with his audience. This is early proof from his 1989 self-titled debut.

52.When I Get Where I'm Going,Brad Paisley/Dolly Parton Pint-size genius Paisley is usually at his best when he's poking fun at something, but on this 2005 duet with Dolly Parton, a song about dying proves he can do much more than make you laugh. Who's got a tissue?

53.Kaw-Liga,Hank Williams Sr. One of the many, many songs Williams wrote that illustrated just how lonely life can be, even for a wooden Indian. Itcame out in 1953, shortly after Williams' death.

54.For the Good Times,Ray Price No slight to Kris Kristofferson, who wrote this song, but the lush, orchestral rendition by Texan Price, released in 1970, surpasses all other versions. And there are a lot of them.

55.Friends in Low Places,Garth Brooks The ultimate go-to-you-know-where anthem from Brooks' excellent 1990 album, No Fences. The song is so good, in a raunchy, vengeance-is-mine sort of way, you almost forgive Brooks for that whole Chris Gaines thing. Almost.

56.Dang Me,Roger MillerKing of the Road is, obviously, Miller's best-known song, but Dang Me, released in 1964, was no slouch, either. It earned a whopping five Grammys.

57. Sixteen Tons,Tennessee Ernie Ford Ford genre-surfed from pop to gospel to country, leaving his mark on the third with this 1955 hit, written by Merle Travis, who based the song on his family's experiences in the coal-mining industry.

58.All My Rowdy Friends (Have Settled Down),Hank Williams Jr. A slightly depressing lament of the past disguised as a silly party song. This 1981 No. 1 is actually one of his most thoughtful moments, a reflection of the rambunctious lifestyles of his friends, as well as his own.

59.Forever & Ever Amen, Randy Travis Not all songs in country are about leavin', cheatin' or murderin'. Take this warmhearted, I'm-so-committed-to-you 1987 single. Perfect wedding song.

60.All My Ex's Live in Texas,George Strait This is not such a perfect wedding song, unless you're cool with polygamy. But it's all in good fun, with Strait rhyming names of girlfriends with Texas towns. Our favorite: "Dimples who now lives in Temple's got the law lookin' for me."

61.Take Your Memory With You,Vince Gill Back before he got all gooey-hearted -- you know, before he married Amy Grant -- Gill churned out several terrific spitball fireballs, including this 1991 kiss-off.

62.I'm Tryin',Trace Adkins Simple but effective song about trying to put your life back together after a divorce. Love the line "still ain't used to putting 'ex' in front of 'wife.' "

63.My Maria,Brooks & Dunn The best covers are sometimes the ones that sound absolutely nothing like the originals. That's not the case with B&D's reworking of B.W. Stevenson's pop hit: It's pretty much a note-for-note retry, but an exceptionally good one.

64.Love Hurts,Emmylou Harris & Gram Parsons Both Parsons and Harris specialized in country-rock arrangements, though in vasty different ways. On this 1974 duet, their dissimilar styles mesh hauntingly well.

65.The Fireman, George Strait Full of hilarious, perhaps intentional cliches ("I can cool 'em down while they're smolderin' hot"), this 1984 single was one of the gazillion Strait would eventually have. But this was the most rambunctious fun.

66.Wreck of the Old 97, Vernon Dalhart Texas native Dalhart's wonderfully compelling 1924 song about the real-life derailment of the Southern Railway Fast Mail train No. 97. Also gave a certain Dallas alt-country band a good name.

67.Stand by Me, Mickey Gilley Gilley's complete overhauling of Ben E. King's classic was not just a high point of the Urban Cowboy soundtrack but also a highlight of '80s country music.

68.Together Again, Buck Owens The king of Bakersfield country released this wildly influential gem in 1964, paving the way for so many followers.

69.Battle of New Orleans, Johnny Horton Born in Los Angeles but raised in East Texas, Horton found success with this 1959 unlikely success story, one of his many saga songs. It was sort of like Yes without the drum solos.

70.You Ain't Woman Enough (To Take My Man), Loretta Lynn Lynn made it a habit to spit in the face of Nashville, but here, she was spitting in the face of a woman who was flirting with her husband.

71.I Sang Dixie,Dwight Yoakam Rumored to be based on any number of Yoakam associates who died of alcohol abuse, this could easily be about anyone who has suffered that fate.

72.Whoever's in New England, Reba McEntire Thought by many fans to be McEntire's answer to Barry Manilow's Weekend in New England, this song about a husband messing around in New England earned the singer her first Grammy.

73.Elvira,the Oak Ridge Boys Slightly silly, with lyrics like "oohm bop a mow, mow" and "hi yo silver away!" Still, it became one of the Oaks' biggest songs. You're humming it right now.

74.When I Stop Dreaming,the Louvin Brothers A beautiful country-gospel song, released in 1955, that would later become one of the most covered country songs ever.

75.Grandpa (Tell Me 'Bout the Good Old Days), the Judds A simple and pretty ballad about the changes time inevitably brings.

76.A Better Man,Clint Black The first single from his 1989 debut, Killin' Time, was prophetic: With each new record, Black got better.

77.Please Remember Me,Tim McGraw McGraw's melodramatic plea is undeniably touching.

78.Get Drunk and Be Somebody, Toby Keith Keith's anthemic opener from his 2006 White Trash With Money epitomizes a faction of blue-collar life -- folks who work without reward and find what they need in their friends and their bottles.

79.Love in the First Degree,Alabama This single contains more legal lingo than an episode of Law & Order but still manages to be sweet, in a cornball sort of way.

80.Long Black Veil, Lefty Frizzell A 1959 hit for the country music icon, and the song most closely associated with his legendary status.

81.Travelin' Soldier, Dixie Chicks This bittersweet tale of a young girl whose love is killed in Vietnam is one of the Chicks' finest moments.

82.Neon Moon, Brooks & Dunn A wonderfully written ballad, with that unforgettable refrain, "watch your broken dreams dance in and out of the beams."

83.Am I the Only One (Who's Ever Felt This Way),Dixie Chicks The Chicks have marvelous taste in covers, such as their devastatingly believable cover of this Maria McKee song.

84.Don't Rock the Jukebox, Alan Jackson Not exactly one of Jackson's more pensive moments but still a lot of fun.

85.Hurt,Johnny Cash You can't get grimmer than Nine Inch Nails, but Cash did in 2002, with his bare-bones reading of this NIN heartbreaker.

86.Golden Ring,George Jones & Tammy WynetteGolden Ring is NOT the song you want played at your wedding, despite its optimistic title.

87.Ya'll Come Back Saloon, the Oak Ridge Boys The Oaks' official switch from gospel to country paid off big time with this 1977 hit.

88.Ode to Billie Joe, Bobbie Gentry This was a 1967 B-side, but DJs sniffed a hit and played it, catapulting it to No. 17 on the country charts and to No. 1 on the pop charts, turning the singer into a superstar.

89.My Favorite Memory,Merle Haggard Hag's sweetest, most melancholy song.

90.I Still Miss Someone,Johnny Cash No other version of this song can match the haunting and emotionally numbing reading Cash gave it on his appropriately named 1958 album, The Fabulous Johnny Cash.

91.Kiss an Angel Good Morning,Charley Pride One of the few black male singers in country music had his profile heightened considerably with this insanely catchy 1971 chart-topper, which won Pride the Country Music Association's Entertainer of the Year award.

92.Tumbling Tumbleweeds, Sons of the Pioneers This 1934 song, chugged out by the famous cowboy group that featured Roy Rogers, made such an impact that it inspired a Gene Autry movie.

93.Riders in the Sky, Burl Ives This song rose only to No. 21 in 1949. Over time, artists and fans began to appreciate the strange tale of fire-breathing cattle getting chased by ghostly cowboys, and many singers covered it, including Johnny Cash, Duane Eddy and, of course, the band Riders in the Sky.

94.Drive (For Daddy Gene),Alan Jackson If Father's Day had an anthem, it would be Jackson's 2002 nod to dear old dads.

95.Ain't Livin' Long Like This,Waylon Jennings Ha! -- Jennings outsmarted this '70s staple by living a nice, long and extremely meaningful life.

96.I Believe in Love,Don Williams Williams' easygoing vocal style and poetic lyrics perfectly married on this 1980 hit.

97. If I Could Only Win Your Love, Emmylou Harris Harris has dabbled in so many genres, it's easy to forget her honky-tonk background. This is a reminder from her incredible 1975 record, Pieces of the Sky.

98.Holding Her, Loving You,Earl Tomas Conley One of countless country songs about being with one person yet loving another. Few are as moving as this 1983 hit.

99.Louisiana Saturday Night,Mel McDaniel Don Williams wrote this ode to dancing in the kitchen till the morning light, but McDaniel skyrocketed with it.

100.Rose Colored Glasses,John Conlee The mortician-turned-singer struck gold in 1978 with this beautiful tear-jerker.
29th July 2007 10:54 AM
gimmekeef Crazy way down at #34?...One of my faves....
29th July 2007 11:07 AM
Jumacfly No "dead flowers"???
29th July 2007 11:17 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
No "dead flowers"???

Or Far Away Eyes.....a lil tongue in cheek country...
30th July 2007 12:44 AM
the good I must stop reading these lists. They just raise my blood pressure.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)