ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Parken Stadium, Copenhagen 5th August 2007
© Politiken with thanks to Montana!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rollin' With Ruby Return to archive
24th July 2007 09:37 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Rollin' With Ruby
Nicole McGregor
12 News Today
Jul. 24, 2007 03:09 AM

Ruby Mazur: How I got to do the Rolling Stones \\

Ruby Mazur is an artist. Currently living in the west valley, he started painting when he was 5 in New York and never quit. But unlike some talented folks whose work you may never know... Mazur already has a place in American pop culture.

He created the Rolling Stones "mouth and tongue" logo after Mick Jagger, himself, contacted him. "I thought it was one of my friends playing with me," he soon found out it was no joke when Jagger showed up at his office. Mazur first began to paint Mick's face but he stopped and began to focus on his main feature: his mouth. "My friends came over and said I was crazy," says Mazur, "but it's the attitude, it's the sexuality, it's Mick's lips, it just works to me." Jagger agreed. He was so excited Jagger pushed Mazur in his pool when he saw it (hear the story in ruby's own words via the video connection on this page). The rest, as they say, is history.

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/12newstoday/articles/dogart07242007-CR.html

"After Coca-Cola, it's probably the most famous logo on the planet," says Mazur -- clearly excited about that time of his life -- he claims the momentum got started long before, when he turned 21. As a young, ambitious artist he got a job as art director at the new Paramount Records in New York. Growing up around the music business and being an artist himself it was a perfect fit. In his first year he was nominated for a grammy. After only one year with Paramount, Mazur broke away to create his own business. Soon after, he had 10 artists working for him, doing 15 covers a week, at 5,000 dollars a pop. He opened offices in Los Angeles and London. On top of the rock and roll world... he decided to leave after doing about 3,000 covers. Things in the music industry had begun to change, Mazur felt he couldn't relate and his passion took him elsewhere.

He dabbled in Lother types of artwork: abstract illusionism, he says, that came way before its time. He did graphic art and illustrating for magazines and movies but his love for animals eventually led him to his current career strategy. His heart first belonged to a pooch named Lucy. Now Ruby keeps company with Zeus, a huge Newfoundland, and a Saint Bernard puppy named Zoie. For the last 3 years, he has taken an animal snapshot and put that image into a classic painting, "giving people something more than just a dog portrait," says Mazur.

Mazur moved to Arizona about a year ago after, he says, Alice Cooper told him it was the greatest place on earth. Now he doesn't ever want to leave. His studio is in his home and he dabbles in public relations work for the Cibola Vista Resort in Peoria. Mazur has clearly lived many lifetimes over. He once received royalties for the "mouth and tongue" design but says it has been a long and tedious court battle ever since. He has 4 children, 3 ex-wives, is currently single, and has more stories in his back pocket than words in the dictionary. Yes, the Rolling Stones life is long gone and one many of us can only dream about. But the life that's in front of him, while much less glamorous, could be the one Mazur's been searching for all along. For more information on Mazur go to www.rubymazur.net

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
25th July 2007 12:45 AM
Brainbell Jangler A very misleading article. Mazur did not create the well-known, iconic original lips-and-tongue logo or its progeny. That is the work of John Pasche. Mazur designed the tongue used on the cover of the Tumbling Dice single. The two designs are very different. The logo tongue points to the left and appears as wide at the base as at the tip. Mazur's tongue points right, is narrow at the base, and shows a lot of lower lip. Mazur's story about using Mick as model for the tongue perpetuates the myth that the real logo is "just Mick's mouth," rather than a stylized version of the mouth of the goddess Kali, as both Pasche and Mick have acknowledged.
25th July 2007 03:55 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
A very misleading article. Mazur did not create the well-known, iconic original lips-and-tongue logo or its progeny. That is the work of John Pasche. Mazur designed the tongue used on the cover of the Tumbling Dice single. The two designs are very different. The logo tongue points to the left and appears as wide at the base as at the tip. Mazur's tongue points right, is narrow at the base, and shows a lot of lower lip. Mazur's story about using Mick as model for the tongue perpetuates the myth that the real logo is "just Mick's mouth," rather than a stylized version of the mouth of the goddess Kali, as both Pasche and Mick have acknowledged.

I knew there was some kind of controversy about this, I just couldn't remember what.
25th July 2007 04:00 AM
mrhipfl I was told Andy Warhol created the logo. But he only did the Sticky Fingers album cover, right??
25th July 2007 09:12 AM
fanfucker Yes
and the drawing of "love you live".
Plus, he did some portaits of M. Jagger in the 70's
25th July 2007 11:25 PM
Brainbell Jangler You be the judge:
26th July 2007 12:16 AM
glencar This Ruby feller is the John Edwards of the Stones camp!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)