ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Parken Stadium, Copenhagen 5th August 2007
© Politiken with thanks to Montana!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 25 years ago..... Return to archive Page: 1 2
24th July 2007 01:59 PM
Gazza Forgive some self-indulgence

At this very moment, 25 years ago I was watching my first ever Stones show, at Slane Castle. I was 99.9% convinced at the time it would be my last - after all, at 2 days short of his 39th birthday, Mick Jagger couldnt keep this kind of performance level up. He'd probably be needing a wheelchair in a few years. That, plus they hadnt played in Ireland since 1965.

25 years on - and in exactly 25 days from now, the Stones return to the same venue for their first outdoor Irish show since then. At 44 years of age, it will also be my 44th Stones show. Who'd have imagined it?

Ironically enough, at this very moment 25 years ago by my reckoning, they would have been playing "Time Is On My Side" - and people were very cynical about that choice of song for what everyone imagined would be their last tour.

Self-indulgence over. I return you to your normal programming.
[Edited by Gazza]
24th July 2007 02:03 PM
robpop Happy anniversary. The first show is always the most memorible. It set all of us down this path for life.
24th July 2007 02:05 PM
PartyDoll MEG Nostalgia...a good thing as long as you don't cry in your beer!!
24th July 2007 02:05 PM
LadyJane Very cool, Gazza.
Amazing isn't it???

We are the luckiest fans EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LJ.
24th July 2007 02:06 PM
pdog 44 + 25 = 69
24th July 2007 02:08 PM
mmdog
Was that 1982 Slane Castle footage that popped up on The Four Flicks documentary?
24th July 2007 02:09 PM
nankerphelge The square root of 69 is eight something...
24th July 2007 02:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
mmdog wrote:

Was that 1982 Slane Castle footage that popped up on The Four Flicks documentary?

Dont believe so. The only professional Slane footage I've ever seen was a short news clip of Under My Thumb a couple of days later
24th July 2007 02:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:
44 + 25 = 69

I like how you think.
24th July 2007 02:16 PM
Erik_Snow
quote:
mmdog wrote:

Yes it was - would love to see it all

Nice thread Gazza - it's quite bizarre - those everlasting Rolling Stones
24th July 2007 02:18 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Forgive some self-indulgence

At this very moment, 25 years ago I was watching my first ever Stones show, at Slane Castle. I was 99.9% convinced at the time it would be my last - after all, at 2 days short of his 39th birthday, Mick Jagger couldnt keep this kind of performance level up. He'd probably be needing a wheelchair in a few years. That, plus they hadnt played in Ireland since 1965.

25 years on - and in exactly 25 days from now, the Stones return to the same venue for their first outdoor Irish show since then. At 44 years of age, it will also be my 44th Stones show. Who'd have imagined it?

Ironically enough, at this very moment 25 years ago by my reckoning, they would have been playing "Time Is On My Side" - and people were very cynical about that choice of song for what everyone imagined would be their last tour.

Self-indulgence over. I return you to your normal programming.
[Edited by Gazza]

Gazza,
Roostah LIVES and LURKS!
July 24,25,26 1972 marks the 35th Anniversary of Roostah's MSG Quadfecta as immoralized by Chile's digital transfer of my 1972 super 8 film. A header perhaps??? This will toast a mileSTONE in my catalogue of 58 live concerts.
Hope that you are enjoying a Bigger Bang in Europe!
I regret that I am unable to attend the continuing festivity!!!

Best regards,

Roostah
24th July 2007 02:23 PM
Gazza
quote:
littleredrooster wrote:

Gazza,
Roostah LIVES and LURKS!
July 24,25,26 1972 marks the 35th Anniversary of Roostah's MSG Quadfecta as immoralized by Chile's digital transfer of my 1972 super 8 film. A header perhaps??? This will toast a mileSTONE in my catalogue of 58 live concerts.

Best regards,

Roostah

Roostah, my man!!! Always great to see ya here..dont be such a stranger. Hope all's well.

Yes, a Mick/MSG 72 birthday header on the 26th sounds just the ticket. Over to Voodoo!
24th July 2007 02:27 PM
mrhipfl I still don't understand the whole football uniform thing. I think I prefer Vegas wear.
24th July 2007 02:31 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I still don't understand the whole football uniform thing. I think I prefer Vegas wear.

the football stuff was pretty damn awful..ghey is the word I think....I especially hated the tape around the ankles...

but the vegas wear is atrocious
24th July 2007 02:44 PM
Gazza
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Very cool, Gazza.
Amazing isn't it???

We are the luckiest fans EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LJ.

We soitanly are, in that respect

We're also most likely to be the fans with the highest percentage of re-mortgages....
24th July 2007 02:49 PM
robpop Gazza,

Just think all the money you would have saved if you would not have went to that show.

Fuck it was worth every bit of it.
24th July 2007 02:50 PM
parmeda
quote:
littleredrooster wrote:

Gazza,
Roostah LIVES and LURKS!

Best regards,

Roostah

ROOSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
You still have a pulse!
(This pleases me to no end!!!)

Oh! and Gazza...only you, would take the time to figure all this shit out. I'm impressed.

Congratulations!
24th July 2007 02:55 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Oh! and Gazza...only you, would take the time to figure all this shit out. I'm impressed.

Congratulations!

The sad thing is Pammy....it was right at his finger tip..he didn't even have to rack his brain and count on his fingers, or make marks on a piece of paper like you and I would. Utterly amazing!
24th July 2007 03:01 PM
MrPleasant 25 years ago I was in Disneyland!

I was very impressionable; went to the Peter Pan ride and it freaked me out. I just wanted to watch Popeye (1980) at he hotel, over and over.

I was such a puss! Now I know why all the kids at the school used to beat me up!

Weird times.

24th July 2007 03:05 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
parmeda wrote:

ROOSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
You still have a pulse!
(This pleases me to no end!!!)

Congratulations!

Parmy!
Hi!
Been out in the Arizona sun too long!
My retirement is quite intense!!!
Roostah is selling HDTV and Home Theater to pass the time.
Can't get accustomed to a structured schedule 5 days per week.
If you ever have any HDTV or audio questions let me answer them for you no obligation necessary....I'm a wealth of info.
Hope you and yours are stellar.

Roooostah
24th July 2007 03:13 PM
parmeda
quote:
littleredrooster wrote:
Parmy!
Hi!
Been out in the Arizona sun too long!
My retirement is quite intense!!!
Roostah is selling HDTV and Home Theater to pass the time.
Can't get accustomed to a structured schedule 5 days per week.
If you ever have any HDTV or audio questions let me answer them for you no obligation necessary....I'm a wealth of info.
Hope you and yours are stellar.

Roooostah

Thank you, kindly dear sir!
And you'll be happy to hear I am doing OUTSTANDING...and getting better at it every day
Glad to know all is well with you...ENJOY that retirement!

Hey Gazza - do you remember what you, Roostah and I have in common?
(That's the first thing that ran through my head when I saw our buddy make his post, lol)
24th July 2007 03:53 PM
Joey " 25 years on - and in exactly 25 days from now, the Stones return to the same venue for their first outdoor Irish show since then. At 44 years of age, it will also be my 44th Stones show. Who'd have imagined it? "

Gazza ..........................

One can imagine anything .... if they try :

" Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Take a look and you'll see into your imagination.
We'll begin with a spin traveling in the world of my creation.
What we'll see will defy explanation.

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it.
Anything you want to do it.
Want to change the world?
There's nothing to it.

There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination.
Living there you'll be free if you truly wish to be.

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it.
Anything you want to, do it.
Want to change the world?
There's nothing to it.

There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination.
Living there you'll be free if you truly wish to be .... ( fade to white -- like an angel ) "

,kins !

24th July 2007 04:28 PM
Gazza
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Hey Gazza - do you remember what you, Roostah and I have in common?
(That's the first thing that ran through my head when I saw our buddy make his post, lol)

Is it something to do with cocks??? LOL
24th July 2007 04:33 PM
parmeda
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Is it something to do with cocks??? LOL

LMAO (you need therapy...)

24th July 2007 04:41 PM
parmeda
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:

The sad thing is Pammy....it was right at his finger tip..he didn't even have to rack his brain and count on his fingers, or make marks on a piece of paper like you and I would. Utterly amazing!

Hi Meg!
(Sorry I couldn't reply to this sooner...)
I was pulled away due to a massive product recall.
My point being; I could use Gazza's effortless mathmatical skills-training on the sorry lot I'm dealing with!

I just left a conference call, whereas a group of 12 adults (well educated and highly paid adults, mind you...) can't seem to fucking count to 10.

Last time I checked, none of these individuals are amputees.

It's scary.

So my dear friend, you and I are quite safe and I'm confident our counting skills are well above par
24th July 2007 04:58 PM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:

Nah...its easy...I knew the date of the show (I'd say most people know the date of their first show) and recall that they came onstage just after 6 pm.

I have enough c90 tapes kickin' around of that tour and the setlists were nearly all identical, so its not that hard to figure out what they would have been playing at around 6.50 pm or so.

Ya dont have to be another Raymond Babbitt to work all that out.
[Edited by Gazza]
24th July 2007 05:10 PM
Erik_Snow
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Dont believe so. The only professional Slane footage I've ever seen was a short news clip of Under My Thumb a couple of days later

Gazza, I replied "yes" above - as I thought the clip I saw on youtube was taken from 4Flicks...since 4Flicks was mentioned here, obviously it wasn't - anyway, there was about 1,5 sec of Micks back at Slane, clipped in with Keith interviews - in excellent quality. Easy to recognize those trees
[Edited by Erik_Snow]
24th July 2007 06:03 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Nah...its easy...I knew the date of the show (I'd say most people know the date of their first show) and recall that they came onstage just after 6 pm.

I have enough c90 tapes kickin' around of that tour and the setlists were nearly all identical, so its not that hard to figure out what they would have been playing at around 6.50 pm or so.

Ya dont have to be another Raymond Babbitt to work all that out.
[Edited by Gazza]

OK, so you aren't Rain Man.. I only remember the year of my first show and would have to look the date up!!!..
What I was doing on this date 25 fricken years ago...I haven't a clue.

It is your talent for remembering minutiae that amazes me. You probably know exactly how many times last month you sat on the toilet with your favorite reading material.
24th July 2007 06:23 PM
Gazza Might have been Leeds the following day, Erik. Anyway..I'm not familiar with that clip, seems very short! Thanks
[Edited by Gazza]
24th July 2007 06:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
OK, so you aren't Rain Man.. I only remember the year of my first show and would have to look the date up!!!..
What I was doing on this date 25 fricken years ago...I haven't a clue.

It is your talent for remembering minutiae that amazes me. You probably know exactly how many times last month you sat on the toilet with your favorite reading material.

I do indeed. None. LOL. Time we got a new magazine rack in the crapper.....

Its not a case of minutiae. Your first Stones show was, what, 1997? You were an adult and had more important stuff to occupy your mind with than trivia like that.

I was 19 in 1982. At that age, your head tends to be full of such nonsense. As I've been collecting recordings of shows ever since, after a while you tend to remember dates of gigs almost automatically. With age and short term memory loss, that 'ability' tends to deteriorate a bit.

Whilst I could probably rhyme off dates of shows from the 70s and 80's because I was paying more attention to such detail years ago when collecting stuff, nowadays I would be pushed to be able to tell you the dates of more than a few shows last year off the top of my head. You just end up with more important things to think about. My long term memory is still really good. Short term, its quite hopeless. I could barely tell you what I had for dinner yesterday.

(PS - I think you told me your first Stones show was the BTB show in Columbus. To save you looking it up.,,it was 27.9.97. )
[Edited by Gazza]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)