ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Parken Stadium, Copenhagen 5th August 2007
© Politiken with thanks to Montana!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Punk era appreciation thread Return to archive Page: 1 2
23rd July 2007 09:15 AM
Ten Thousand Motels I think I missed something.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
23rd July 2007 10:24 AM
Mel Belli I wouldn't classify myself as a serious punk connoisseur. My familiarity goes only as far as the obvious -- the Ramones, the Clash, the Jam/Paul Weller, Television, the Sex Pistols, etc. Not to diminish their greatness, my feeling is that the "movement" was more important than the music itself. Punk was signficant for how it affected other genres -- including geezers like, ahem, the Stones.

Everywhere you located vitality in rock music after punk, you'd find at least the punk ethos, if not strictly punk music -- whether it was the Replacements, grunge, Pavement, all the way up to the White Stripes. It seems that pop music, just like jazz and classical, is prone to becoming bloated and baroque. It's almost always necessary to think punk, even if you don't play punk: strip down to the essentials; cut away the fat; bring the passion.
23rd July 2007 11:01 AM
Nasty Habits
23rd July 2007 07:07 PM
LoveinVainRonnie Glen Matlock of the Sex Pistols comments on the protopunk group The Faces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7usZTvGd49k

It's only a little bit through out the clip .
23rd July 2007 07:12 PM
MrPleasant I love punk: making trash into art. Maybe I am punk and have always been all my life, and I wasn't aware of it.

Anyhow, like Zappa said once, in front of a crowd: 'Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, don't kid yourself!' Most of the stuff that's labelled it's just because we need structures.

YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS

(BURPS)

[Edited by MrPleasant]
23rd July 2007 09:26 PM
pdog punk is rock and roll and rock and roll is alive and well. Just make sure you get the real deal, for what you need. Don't be fooled by the after effecters. There's the real deal and then there's the shit that happens afterwards that is marketing and hype. Since SS is gone we lost a great person to get us the good info of what is happening and not what happened.
MC5, Stooges, Ramones, Clash, Pistols... anda thousands of others.
Rancids Out Come The wolves and Life Won't Wait are two of the best punk albums ever made, and they came out in the mid 90's. Check em out... SS said they were in his top ten of all time punk albums, and that boy liked and knew about everything from the biggening to 5 minutes ago.
And, you should thank god everyday for the Ramones... I do!
23rd July 2007 09:38 PM
robpop
quote:
pdog wrote:
punk is rock and roll and rock and roll is alive and well. Just make sure you get the real deal, for what you need. Don't be fooled by the after effecters. There's the real deal and then there's the shit that happens afterwards that is marketing and hype. Since SS is gone we lost a great person to get us the good info of what is happening and not what happened.
Rancids Out Come The wolves and Life Won't Wait are two of the best punk albums ever made, and they came out in the mid 90's. Check em out... SS said they were in his top ten of all time punk albums, and that boy liked and knew about everything from the biggening to 5 minutes ago.

I saw the Ramones once...too bad I do not remember too much. Shit, I was an old punker back in the day, but I do not remeber much of all of that. I still love the shit though.
23rd July 2007 11:25 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
pdog wrote:
punk is rock and roll and rock and roll is alive and well. Just make sure you get the real deal, for what you need. Don't be fooled by the after effecters. There's the real deal and then there's the shit that happens afterwards that is marketing and hype. Since SS is gone we lost a great person to get us the good info of what is happening and not what happened.

amen to all of that! hit it right on the nose you did. its funny i know people who were punks, true 76-77 NY era punks and those who call themselves such these days, and its like punk was an ethos, also ephemeral in nature, it's not like 20-30 yrs on still supposed to exist, then musically, i am speaking about, what separates it from classic rock or the like, and that really was never the point, longevity as a movement that is, in fact just opposite, case in poin the '96 Pistols reunion tour, but as much as I dig Johnny, sid and the boys, they really were the Monkess of punk, essentially, not a criticism, but an obervation. "Out Come the Wolves" definitely a great and overlooked album. The Ramones, best power pop band ever, period, and that is a compliment. They took took all that early 60s Phil Spector/girl group sound and ran it through a buzzsaw, creating a sound that has influenced every band post-1980. I deeply regret never seeing them live.
23rd July 2007 11:36 PM
GotToRollMe Agree. Rancid's "And Out Come The Wolves" is a great record, and the closest I've heard to the real thing in years.
23rd July 2007 11:53 PM
Dan I spent most of last weekend listening to G.B.H.
24th July 2007 01:07 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
aladdinstory wrote:

amen to all of that! hit it right on the nose you did. its funny i know people who were punks, true 76-77 NY era punks

Pistols reunion tour, but as much as I dig Johnny, sid and the boys, they really were the Monkess of punk, essentially, not a criticism, but an obervation. "

The Ramones, best power pop band ever, period, and that is a compliment. They took took all that early 60s Phil Spector/girl group sound and ran it through a buzzsaw, creating a sound that has influenced every band post-1980. I deeply regret never seeing them live.

while i agree with the spirit of your post al - i think your assertion (one i have often heard made) that the pistols were some kind of "monkees" is erroneous and ill informed - people put too much into the Maclaren as Svengali line when taking that position - the pistols were as much a band as the ramones - the kings road sex shop connection was simply that, a connection point

while sid may have been less than impressive anyone who says they couldn't play has cloth ears (IMHO) "Bollocks" rocks like all and any other other great rock and roll -

and yeah i was there too in 76 / 77 involved in what was happening here in my own small way

don't forget the saints (I'm) Stranded - check the release dates with the ramones and pistols - they were thinking along similiar lines at the same thing on the other side of the world - and there was no internet in those days - ideas moved a lot slower - especially down to here - it was as if something was ticking over in most western countries around the world

anyway , the thing about it is i look back now pleased to note that when called upon to choose as to which side i was on - i instinctively and unhesitatingly made the right choice - for as much as it was derided at the time its influence has has only grown to the point where the lines between the mainstream and some kind of "alternative" to it can be very hard to see - it is very hard to SHOCK any more - paricularly through the medium of music - it is with great pride i tell my children that not only did i fight in the punk wars - i was on the winning side

and the advance of technology coupled with the DYI ethic of "punk" has seen the virtual collapse of the "music industry" (or so we are led to believe and i can believe it) - the acccess to equipment (leaving aside the issue of having the talent) to make "professional" sounding recordings is now available to anyone who can afford a PC and some software - hell you don't even have to be able to play an instrument anymore - THAT perhaps is the down side with the democratization of music making as a result of technology (and the aforesaid DYI ethic) now every ass clown with half a bad idea is polluting the traffic making it all that much harder to get to the good stuff (if you can be bothered) which is diametrically opposite to what it was like in the bad old days - it was hard to find the stuff because it was, in fact, pretty thin on the ground - down here one would purchase totemic vinyl bootlegs of rare perfomances or the latest sounds straight outta NYC and be told by the dude behind the counter - "look after that thing, man - it's the only copy in the southern hemisphere" - and he wouldn't be joking - ah the good old days

anyway - i digress and i guess that's probably enough from me but these final words of wisdom not, unfortuantely, mine but ones which i believe sum it all up

"Punk changed everything and it changed nothing"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
24th July 2007 01:26 AM
Dan Saints are playing here Wedensday. I listened to them a few times last week.
24th July 2007 03:55 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I have some private exclusive pictures of The Plasmatics live taken by a friend in 1980-1981 will scan and post later, in the meantime s video

24th July 2007 04:08 AM
pdog Wendy Rules!!!
So do The Misfits
24th July 2007 04:12 AM
pdog Bullet
24th July 2007 05:40 AM
pdog I dig alot of Monkees music...

24th July 2007 06:40 AM
stewed & Keefed
[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
24th July 2007 07:03 AM
fanfucker Punk - nihilism, (auto) destruction, a part of Keith R. no?
24th July 2007 08:00 AM
PartyDoll MEG I'm not much for classifying music..either I like it or I don't. And a record usually only gets one listen (except in the case of Jazz, which requires a more discerning ear)for me to make up my mind. I love the Clash, the Ramones, Jack White and his personas, and a handful of other so called "punk" rockers. To me all rockers take on elements of the music that they are comfortable with, but their stage personalities may earn them their "punk" label.

Does it really matter?....

Play that crazy music...

24th July 2007 08:58 AM
CraigP If you want to know "punk" rock, hang out with me for a bit. We'll start at Harvard Square in Boston. Come to a show, have a drink on me and see how many friends you'll make.

I'm sure your concept of punk is the Sex Pistols, Clash, and other phony, corporate shitty acts that had the social elite putting safety-pins in their ears.

No, it's still alive and much more than what you think.
I'm a "veteran" in the "scene". I've seen countless shows, know almost everyone in this area who goes to these shows.

Check out some really good, intelligent rock'n'roll with the same/similar political messages that your flower generation tried to speak, except a little louder and more in your face.
Some key bands to check out:
-THE SUBHUMANS (U.K.)- have been playing since '79 and still tour the world just below ground level. You will dig the surprisingly simple, yet, talented music and extremely intelligent lyrics. I have seen these guys live 3 times and have never felt vibes so uplifting and of 'togetherness'.

-CRASS: Ever hear of Thatchergate? No? Well, look it up. Ever wonder who popularized that anarchy 'A' symbol? Yes? Well you have a head start. This band is a bit more noisy and less musically advanced than the Subhumans. They broke up, purposely, in 1984.
They were a bit anarchist for me, with their mottos having been "Anarchy and freedom is what I want" and their famous chant: "Fight war, NOT wars."
(Steve "Ignorant" The vocalist) liked to bitch about how the "punk" revolution was a complete marketing ploy. This guy rants on faster than most speed-rappers but if you read the lyrics, you will be thinking "wow, he said it!"

To be into "punk" you don't need to dress or act a certain way or be "Anarchist". The intelligent "punk" that I listen to is not trashy or pointless like the Sex Pistols were. It's just good rock'n'roll with a good message.
The "punks" are the last of the hippies.
Really.

24th July 2007 10:29 AM
Nasty Habits Re Trashy Pointlessness: "Garbage is good for you" - Mick Farren

I agree with SIA - the Sex Pistols may have been manufactured (by a guy with enough brains to know what a good rock band looked like - he managed the New York Dolls, you know) but I don't see how it then follows that they didn't make real music or that they had nothing to say. Just because the band was assembled by someone outside of it doesn't mean that there was no chemistry after assembly. The oft-told story goes that the Stones had no interest in writing songs until Andrew locked Mick & Keith in a room and forced them to do it - does that mean that the Stones are "fake" songwriters?

"There is beauty in the garbage/sing the garbage song" - Tonio K
[Edited by Nasty Habits]
24th July 2007 12:11 PM
CraigP
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Re Trashy Pointlessness: "Garbage is good for you" - Mick Farren

I agree with SIA - the Sex Pistols may have been manufactured (by a guy with enough brains to know what a good rock band looked like - he managed the New York Dolls, you know) but I don't see how it then follows that they didn't make real music or that they had nothing to say. Just because the band was assembled by someone outside of it doesn't mean that there was no chemistry after assembly. The oft-told story goes that the Stones had no interest in writing songs until Andrew locked Mick & Keith in a room and forced them to do it - does that mean that the Stones are "fake" songwriters?

Malcom McLaren was an excellent, ingenious manager/producer as was Andrew Oldham. I'd want to be either one in that way.
But the bands I consider quality "punk" are bands that had actually walked the walk and got together as a band, not PUT together by one person (i.e. McLaren). Instead, the band itself produces most everything (which, The Stones have done since the late 1960's).

I'm not bashing the Sex Pistols as much as you may have interpreted. I'm trying to say that since they are cliche, they can make punk seem unattractive. Therefore, just check out some "punk" bands you have never heard of. You may end up really liking a few. That's all.
24th July 2007 12:33 PM
Dan Dickies are one of the best bands ever and they are still around, pretty continuously for about 30 years.
24th July 2007 12:33 PM
MrPleasant Who wants to watch a film with a punk sensibility?

(Whistle blows; crickets chirp)

Anyhow, I'd choose these:

Festen (Dogma 95 movie)
Detour
Clerks (Cat Admiring Bitter Customer: Cute cat. What's his name?
(Randal Graves: Annoying customer.
(Cat Admiring Bitter Customer: [grabs pack of cigarettes] (Fuckin' dickhead.)
Lovedolls Superstars (which includes a plan to murder Bruce Springsteen. Yay!)
Targets
A Bucket Of Blood ("I didn't mean to hurt you, Lou. But if you'd have shot me, you'd be moppin' up my blood now.")
BB Bubby
24th July 2007 12:37 PM
BONOISLOVE You crazy little people and your strange tastes!

Who wants a kiss??
24th July 2007 01:53 PM
Nasty Habits
Mr. Pleasant: Re: Targets - are you talking about the Bogdanovich film? Great flick!

CraigP: I was more chiming in with SIA's post - I've read that old saw about the Pistols a lot and even though they are far from my favorite punk ID'd band I'd say that dismissing them as manufactured is such a cliche by this point that I'm inclined to defend them.

Just curious, but is it really your opinion that Crass or the Subhumans would have launched themselves as the anarchaic symboligists they were if the Sex Pistols had not gotten the ball rolling? Even if the crusty Crass/Subhuman/Rudementary Peni crowd and the Kennedys/Fugazi/NoMeansNo etc of the American hardcore 'movement' amplified and clarified punk 'ethics' and ideology they were initially inspired by the media hooplah and iconography surrounding the Pistols.

Cool that you are a long time denizen of the Boston scene. Ever go to the Rat? Did you get to see DMZ back in the day? How were La Peste live? Can I buy your copy of the Nervous Eaters' "Loretta"?

24th July 2007 02:33 PM
patioaintdry The first two Saints albums, "I'm Stranded" and "Eternally Yours" are outstanding.
24th July 2007 02:52 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Mr. Pleasant: Re: Targets - are you talking about the Bogdanovich film? Great flick!

That's correct, sir.

What Roger Corman said was, “I want you to take twenty minutes of Boris Karloff footage from The Terror, then I want you to shoot twenty more minutes with Boris... and then I want you to shoot another forty minutes with some other actors over ten days. I can take the twenty and the twenty and the forty and I’ve got a whole new eighty-minute Karloff film. What do you say?”
"Sure.”
Peter Bogdanovich
24th July 2007 06:15 PM
aladdinstory
24th July 2007 06:19 PM
aladdinstory
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)