ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Mexico City, during the shooting of "She Was Hot" and "Too Much Blood"
January 1984 by Agapito Pelaéz K... Gracias Rogerriffin
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What is a Stones concert like sober? Return to archive
07-30-02 12:56 PM
Scottfree I have never attended one sober (not sure if I have attended anything sober come to think of it) and was curious if it was a requirement to be spirited to attend? I guess this is a question for peeps that have been stone sober and stone drunk, how did it differ?
07-30-02 01:04 PM
T&A I'm reminded of the joke:

What did one Deadhead say to the other at the show when he ran of weed and became sober? "Hey, this music sucks!"

Might not want to find out, my friend!
07-30-02 01:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot I dunno, and I don't plan on finding out!
07-30-02 01:44 PM
TomL Can remember way back when I took it too far, almost fell asleep at a show once. Now I try to reach middle ground and go higher after the show. Been doing it for so long , don't know if I could or would do it straight. Tough question.
07-30-02 01:45 PM
Nasty Habits I can safely say that the two times I had the best time at a Rolling Stones show were the two times I was the most completely loaded on expensive beer and good gauge (St. Louis '89 and B2B Opening night). I saw them fairly sober in Charlotte, NC '99 and in Columbia, MO '94 (they couldn't sell beer at the Columbia show - that whole damn crowd was sober) and those were the times that I remember being the most hypercritical and aloof from the show. Bad shows or sober me? Tough to say, my friends.

Kansas City '89 I was all sexed up with this hot chick who was into it and that was loads of fun as well - we should not forget the hormone factor of Stones show bliss - was my only Stones show ever where the band was not the primary focus of the experience. Come to thinkn of it, I was pretty loaded at that one, too. Other Stones shows have been combinations of sober/intoxicated and I know that I am far less forgiving of blown leads/screwed up lyrics/rote performances/same setlists when I am untoxicated. Not that I don't notice them when I'm loaded - I just don't give as much of a shit.

07-30-02 04:23 PM
Maxlugar I hope to never find out!

WOOHOO HOOHOo HOOhoo HOohoo Hoohoo hoohoo hoohoo etc...!!!!!

YEAH!

Maxy!
07-30-02 04:27 PM
luxury1 Why I am always displaying the most exemplary behavior. I just can't figure out why security keeps trying to kick me out.
07-30-02 05:35 PM
Martha I've only seen the Stones sober...and my experience was...I was totally blown away by being there...seeing them and getting full bore into the music...dancing and letting it all in....I've finally reached the age where I can do that and it is the most awesome thing I experience...I LOVE live music and seeng the greatest Rock and Roll in the world is a f**ckin' high like nothing else...and I've done every drug (almost) and used to drink heavily and pop downs...so I've tried it both ways.

It's all in the attitude.
07-30-02 08:09 PM
moy >>> what is a stones concert like sober?

it's like a sunny day without sun
07-30-02 08:57 PM
Sir Stonesalot moy, I love you.

That was so perfect.

Who did you steal that from?
07-30-02 09:07 PM
parmeda Been there...done that...both ways, and I must say that being sober...especially this late in my game, has to be the utmost best. I don't want to miss not one second...Leave me be to sit there (I have awesome seats at the United Center...front row, second level over the B-stage) and trust me, the first asshole that comes running over to get a "better look", IS GOING OVER!

Don't mess with me with the boys are playin'...
07-30-02 09:15 PM
Martha the first asshole that comes running over to get a "better look", IS GOING OVER!

Don't mess with me with the boys are playin'

...I'm right there with ya Pam...either watch the fuckin' show or get the fuck out is how I feel at my ripe old age....ain't gonna live long enough...or I'll run outta money first....Sooo don't mess up my view or my sound people!!!

Now....Let's ROCK!!!
07-30-02 09:17 PM
Gazza Its fine - simply because you dont spend half the show queueing for a piss
07-30-02 09:23 PM
Martha I take that to mean you may not in fact "piss anywhere" then hey Gazza?
07-30-02 09:23 PM
Scot Rocks This will be first Stones expereince and I plan to be wasted, however not so bad that I can't remember anything, as alcohol consumption will be able to take place after the show as well.

Cheers

Mark
[Edited by Scot Rocks]
07-30-02 10:54 PM
Maxmeister [quote]Scot Rocks wrote:
This will be first Stones expereince and I plan to be wasted, however not so bad that I can't remember anything, as alcohol consumption will be able to take place after the show as well.

Cheers

If wasted means a good buzz but sober enough to get "that feeling" only a Stones show can give, you're right.
Getting shit faced can only take away from the experience. Like any serious drunk, the impairment takes away from the reality.
I've done concerts totally fucked up a lot in the early days. The last several years, with paying big bucks for seats I decided to get my money's worth, and there is no comparison.
If I had been totally gone, half the memories wouldn't be there.
Pre concert for me is a slow but steady warm up. The buzz from the gig takes it to another level[ and doesn't cause piss breaks] and post gig, it is on!

Rick
07-30-02 11:40 PM
BILL PERKS IT TAKES A BETTER MAN THAN I TO SEE A SHOW SOBER.THE QUESTION WILL BE CAN RONNIE HANDLE A STONES SHOW SOBER?I LOOK FORWARD TO THE TAILGATES AS MUCH AS THE SHOW.NYC 1998,I SPENT THE DAY IN ST MARKS BAR,WHERE WAITIN ON A FRIEND VIDEO WAS FILMED.LOTS OF STONES FANS THERE,AND IT WAS AWESOME.I STOPPED BY THERE THE DAY OF THE PC,AND IT'S NOW A GAY BAR CALLED TRIBE.IT'S ON THE CORNER OF ST MARKS AND 1ST AVE,FOR MOONIE,MAXY,JOEY AND ALL THE OTHER RESIDENT POOFS.ENJOY YOURSELVES,IT'S A PLACE WHERE YOU GUYS CAN BE GUYS.
07-31-02 12:20 AM
Sir Stonesalot Really Maxmeister? Is this a lesson learned in Cleveland? Don't get so fucked up that you spend the next 2 days puking in your sink?

Sage advice! LOL!
07-31-02 12:44 AM
Maxmeister
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Really Maxmeister? Is this a lesson learned in Cleveland? Don't get so fucked up that you spend the next 2 days puking in your sink?

Sage advice! LOL!

I knew it was coming. I left myself wide open for that one.
I can't believe it's one year ago this weekend.
It's guaranteed you will not see me knee walking, camode hugging or paying homage to the stainless steel sink drunk this go around.
Just a nice clean serious drunk each night without all the technicolor.[LOL]

Rick
07-31-02 05:00 AM
moonlight male
Go for it !
I got sober in 88. Going to see band sober was odd.but good.
Watching The Stones sober is so cool.
And you remember it !
07-31-02 12:52 PM
ShannonDC I've seen them when I've been in every shape possible: stoned - 75, 78, 81, really drunk - Steel Wheels, and completely somber - Voodoo, Bridges, No Security. I'd have to say they're better sober, but I also think they play better in some ways the past 10 years. They are a little too slick with Chuck, I agree, but I like the longer shows they do now. What I really can't stand is people who sit through the whole show and yell at other people to sit down. Jesus - it's a damn Stones show! So whether you drink, smoke, or get off an a natural high, Get up off your ass!

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road