ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Amsterdam - 31st July 2006
© PPTB Press with thanks to Sue
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: UK's guiltiest musical pleasure (nsc) Return to archive
2nd August 2006 12:40 PM
Ten Thousand Motels ELO are UK's guiltiest musical pleasure

Mark Brown, arts correspondent
Wednesday August 2, 2006
The Guardian

It was the winter of 1976. It had not stopped raining since that ridiculously hot summer. The news was about British trawlers being banned from Icelandic waters, or if that was getting you down you could turn over and watch The Bionic Woman instead.

But there was hope in the form of Jeff Lynne. "It's a livin' thing/It's a terrible thing to lose/ It's a given thing/What a terrible thing to lose," sang the Electric Light Orchestra.

It earned him millions and became embedded into our brains to the extent it has been voted the top musical guilty pleasure by Q Magazine.
The magazine has taken it upon itself to list the top 50 songs we don't publicly admit to loving as the success of the club night, Guilty Pleasures, continues.

ELO comes top and the magazine is effusive. "ELO may never be fashionable, but in terms of sheer aural elation, this one song betters more revered bands' entire back catalogues."

Eyebrows might be raised by the runner up, Boston's More Than a Feeling, throats will be cleared by No 3, S Club 7's Don't Stop Movin' and tea may be spilled by No 4, 10CC's I'm Not In Love - a song to listen to alone in a darkened room after a relationship break-up.

Sean Rowley, the DJ who invented the Guilty Pleasures club night, also gives his top 10. At No 1 is 10CC's Dreadlock Holiday but also in his list is Dolly Parton's 9 to 5, Hall and Oates' Maneater and Neil Diamond's Love on the Rocks.

Sharon Osbourne tells the magazine that she does her housework to Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart - yes, her housework. And Cliff Richard reveals that Devil Woman (No 41) is his favourite vocal performance "because it is my kind of rock'n'roll."

While there are some songs on the list that you might admit to a close friend you like, there are others which will go to the grave a secret. None more so than Dennis Waterman's I Could Be So Good For You (No 35) - "a wonderful beer-fuelled romp."

Hall of shame

1 Livin' Thing ELO

2 More Than A Feeling Boston

3 Don't Stop Movin' S Club 7

4 I'm Not in Love 10CC

5 Rock 'n' Roll Part 2 Gary Glitter

6 Cold As Ice Foreigner

7 Rebel Yell Billy Idol

8 Whatever You Want Status Quo

9 Baker Street Gerry Rafferty

10 I Will Survive Gloria Gaynor

2nd August 2006 12:44 PM
jb embarrassing to the core...this is as bad as it gets.
2nd August 2006 01:18 PM
pdog Kinda like Supertramp with an extra boost of suckiness!
2nd August 2006 01:22 PM
jb We are destroying Hezbollah . Sadly, Ohmert, a very inexperienced leader, did not go in strong initially as Begin and Sharon would have Finally, we are sending in more ground forces, and with the help of Hashem, we will kill everyone of them, no matter where they hide. They say death to the jews, and I say death to them...May god protect his chosen people , and delivereth us unto Zion, out land by birth, and help us annihilate the Islamofacists enemies, regardless of any collateral damge...Amen.
2nd August 2006 01:25 PM
gypsy
quote:
jb wrote:
We are destroying Hezbollah . Sadly, Ohmert, a very inexperienced leader, did not go in strong initially as Begin and Sharon would have Finally, we are sending in more ground forces, and with the help of Hashem, we will kill everyone of them, no matter where they hide. They say death to the jews, and I say death to them...May god protect his chosen people , and delivereth us unto Zion, out land by birth, and help us annihilate the Islamofacists enemies, regardless of any collateral damge...Amen.

Amen! Death to Hezbollah!
2nd August 2006 01:27 PM
jb
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Thank you my loveliness....you are smart, attractive, and very well respected by many.
[Edited by jb]
2nd August 2006 01:28 PM
pdog
quote:
gypsy wrote:

When anyone else says that it's just okay. When you say it, it's so F'n sexy!

2nd August 2006 01:36 PM
Dan
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
ELO are UK's guiltiest musical pleasure

1 Livin' Thing ELO

2 More Than A Feeling Boston

7 Rebel Yell Billy Idol

I will admit to liking these songs. For some reason Billy Idol has grown on me a bit over the years. A lot of the hits of the 80's are masterpieces compared to the hits of today

quote:

6 Cold As Ice Foreigner

I wont admit to liking this song.
2nd August 2006 01:44 PM
pdog
quote:
Dan wrote:

I will admit to liking these songs. For some reason Billy Idol has grown on me a bit over the years. A lot of the hits of the 80's are masterpieces compared to the hits of today

I know why!
Not hearing them everyday and seeing idiot fans idiolize mediocrity!

Time heals all wounds and bad haircuts!

2nd August 2006 01:49 PM
Black and Blue
quote:
pdog wrote:
Time heals all wounds and bad haircuts!

2nd August 2006 01:53 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Black and Blue wrote:

The cat's pajama's, no?
2nd August 2006 01:59 PM
Black and Blue
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

The cat's pajama's, no?

No more WolfPuss?
2nd August 2006 03:11 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Black and Blue wrote:

No more WolfPuss?

Not a fan of the wolfpuss.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)