ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 3rd rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger cohorts 'dregs of society' Return to archive
August 1st, 2005 08:41 PM
Daethgod http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,16125832%255E1702,00.html

From correspondents in London
02aug05

THESE days he might be Sir Mick Jagger and a pillar of British society, but back in 1969, police reckoned the Rolling Stone's acquaintances to be "the dregs of society", newly released official files show today.

Jagger was caught up in "the world of users of dangerous drugs", according to papers placed in Britain's National Archives, while his girlfriend of the time, singer and actress Marianne Faithfull, was an "unreliable person".

The papers relate to a famous police raid on Jagger's home in the fashionable London district of Chelsea in May 1969 in which a quantity of cannabis was found.

After the raid, the Rolling Stones singer alleged that the policeman who led the raid, Detective Sergeant Robin Constable, had tried to plant some "white powder" and then demanded a bribe to drop the charges.

This formed the basis of Jagger's defence when he later stood trial for cannabis possession, along with a claim that the cannabis seized had "shrunk" while in police possession – inferring that corrupt police had sold some of it.

Jagger was found guilty and fined, but the records show that London's police felt they had to investigate both the claims and the witnesses the singer called in his defence – and that they did not like what they saw.

"The private persons interviewed during the course of this investigation represent extreme ends of the scale," wrote Commander Robert Huntley, who oversaw the inquiry.

"At one end are public figures whilst at the other are the dregs of society," he said.

"It is interesting to note that those who purport to give first hand evidence in support of the allegations are at the lower end of the scale, being drug users or trafficking in them."

Jagger's claims about the planted drugs and the solicited bribe came down to his word against Constable's, Commander Huntley noted.

"Michael Jagger is an intelligent young man, and doubtless is on the fringe, if not embroiled in the world of users of dangerous drugs," he said, adding far less complimentary words about Faithfull.

"Throughout the interview with her she said several times: 'Is this what you want me to say?' as though seeking reassurance that her version was what was required. I would not be prepared to place any reliance at all upon this woman."
August 1st, 2005 09:33 PM
Soldatti Interesting. Times have changed.
August 1st, 2005 09:50 PM
lotsajizz for the worse
August 2nd, 2005 05:34 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Daethgod wrote:
After the raid, the Rolling Stones singer alleged that the policeman who led the raid, Detective Sergeant Robin Constable, had tried to plant some "white powder" and then demanded a bribe to drop the charges.

This formed the basis of Jagger's defence when he later stood trial for cannabis possession, along with a claim that the cannabis seized had "shrunk" while in police possession – inferring that corrupt police had sold some of it.

>Interesting. Times have changed.<
LOL. Not so much, this type of shit still goes on all the time.

August 2nd, 2005 05:49 AM
Monkey Woman The society prejudices and status of rock stars have changed since, but not much else... I must say I admire Mick's nerve in taking the crooked cops to task despite the fact that he himself had a history of drug conviction and was still a user. But though it didn't do him any good on the bench, his claim still forced the director of prosecution to investigate the matter and remove the "perpetrator" from the drugs squad. Not a bad job.
August 2nd, 2005 10:09 AM
corgi37 I hate the word "dregs".

Always reminds me of when a keg of beer is about to die.
August 2nd, 2005 11:39 AM
caro Sorry if this had been posted before...

Gettyimages has some pics of the Chelsea house after the drug bust. There's even a pic of the seized cannabis, hehe!
here
August 2nd, 2005 01:35 PM
Monkey Woman Hi, caro! Long time no see on the board! As you see, it's still crazy as all hell, but things are getting livelier since the tour is getting near.

BTW, thanks for the pics. Very moving to see them so young, fragile-looking, just after that kind of blow.

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
August 2nd, 2005 04:13 PM
caro Hi MW! It's cool to hear from you again. Yep, I somehow drifted away from the Stones and from this board, and then my old copy of Let it bleed suddenly reappeared, and I played it and kicked myself in the ass for not listening to the Stones for so long, and then I came back to the board, and there was a new tour in preparation. Ha!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)