ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 3rd rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Happy Birthday FPM C10 Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 1st, 2005 11:46 AM
FPM C10 You know what bothers me about The Last Waltz?

The Band's music is so goddamned REAL, yet every scene of Robbie Robertson seems so posed and artificial. He and Scorcese were buddies and Robertson is the producer and every scene of his seems ACTED, perfectly lit - "Robbie baby can you give me that line again with a little more sincerity this time?" Whereas the other guys come off as REAL guys talking about their life. And the acting/reality dichotomy is just as prominent onstage - Robertson, his hair perfectly coiffed, dramatically gesticulating as if he's wrenching every note out of his bronzed strat by dint of some superhuman skill, yelling directions to the other musicians as if they needed to be told what to do - as opposed to the sublime Levon Helm, playing drums like no one else and simultaneously singing with more grit and character than anyone this side of Johnny Cash, (and if you think singing and drumming at the same time is easy, TRY it sometime!) or for that matter ANY of the other guys in the Band, all of whom were one-of-a-kind, amazing talents.

I don't know all the details, but Robertson SCREWED the other guys in the Band out of songwriting royalties, setting himself up so that HE'D never need to work again - and the general public consensus seemed to be that if Robertson wasn't involved, the Band wasn't the Band. So the other guys were left struggling after being on top, playing third-rate gigs. Richard Manuel hung himself after one such gig. Rick Danko, who is so absolutely amazing in the Last Waltz, died of a heart attack. Levon Helm had throat cancer and plays wherever he can (I've seen him twice with Hubert Sumlin)and Garth Hudson does studio work. It seems to me that he didn't play with them when they were inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame, either.

I'm just left with a real dislike of Robertson which is inversely related to my admiration of the music they created TOGETHER. The magic of the Band seemed to lie somewhere in the harmonies created by the blending of their rough, unmannered voices, and to me Robertson always seemed like the LEAST important factor.
August 1st, 2005 12:00 PM
Martha Robbie serves a purpose...as the Bands "chick magnet". LOL
August 1st, 2005 12:06 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
You know what bothers me about The Last Waltz?

The Band's music is so goddamned REAL, yet every scene of Robbie Robertson seems so posed and artificial. He and Scorcese were buddies and Robertson is the producer and every scene of his seems ACTED, perfectly lit - "Robbie baby can you give me that line again with a little more sincerity this time?" Whereas the other guys come off as REAL guys talking about their life. And the acting/reality dichotomy is just as prominent onstage - Robertson, his hair perfectly coiffed, dramatically gesticulating as if he's wrenching every note out of his bronzed strat by dint of some superhuman skill, yelling directions to the other musicians as if they needed to be told what to do - as opposed to the sublime Levon Helm, playing drums like no one else and simultaneously singing with more grit and character than anyone this side of Johnny Cash, (and if you think singing and drumming at the same time is easy, TRY it sometime!) or for that matter ANY of the other guys in the Band, all of whom were one-of-a-kind, amazing talents.

I don't know all the details, but Robertson SCREWED the other guys in the Band out of songwriting royalties, setting himself up so that HE'D never need to work again - and the general public consensus seemed to be that if Robertson wasn't involved, the Band wasn't the Band. So the other guys were left struggling after being on top, playing third-rate gigs. Richard Manuel hung himself after one such gig. Rick Danko, who is so absolutely amazing in the Last Waltz, died of a heart attack. Levon Helm had throat cancer and plays wherever he can (I've seen him twice with Hubert Sumlin)and Garth Hudson does studio work. It seems to me that he didn't play with them when they were inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame, either.

I'm just left with a real dislike of Robertson which is inversely related to my admiration of the music they created TOGETHER. The magic of the Band seemed to lie somewhere in the harmonies created by the blending of their rough, unmannered voices, and to me Robertson always seemed like the LEAST important factor.

Ladies & Gentlemen ............................

Did you all read what Fleabit just wrote ?!!

DID YOU READ IT ?!?!

Now THAT is posting my friends .

Well Done .

J.
August 1st, 2005 01:48 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
egon wrote:
ju,
what you say; you, me, 2006, the stones, barcelona..?

I say that you and me will take your brand new car to see the Stones next year in Barcelona!!!
Im planning this with Miss Mc Fly and another couple of friends, so hope you ll be there too( San Miguel and AMstel are waiting for us buddy!)

ps: FPM C10 should come too!!
August 1st, 2005 01:53 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. A belated happy birthday, FPM!

August 1st, 2005 04:03 PM
Candace Youngblood Hope you enjoyed your birthday weekend, babe.

Glad I was part of it.

August 1st, 2005 04:14 PM
Joey
quote:
Candace Youngblood wrote:
Hope you enjoyed your birthday weekend, babe.

Glad I was part of it.

...........and " Skip " ?!?! :

August 2nd, 2005 07:49 AM
egon
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
I say that you and me will take your brand new car to see the Stones next year in Barcelona!!!
Im planning this with Miss Mc Fly and another couple of friends, so hope you ll be there too( San Miguel and AMstel are waiting for us buddy!)
ps: FPM C10 should come too!!

i say hell yeah!
and will have the car ready as from next monday.
was by myself the last tour, but had a blast.
crowd's better than marseille imo.
speaking off; will u come to marsillia as well...?
August 2nd, 2005 09:06 AM
Nasty Habits Couldn't agree with you more about Robbie in the Last Waltz, FPM, especially his on stage mannerisms. One hopes it wasn't always that way. Can't wait to see him behave himself in a more deferential manner in the NEXT Scorsese documentary that will feature his guitar playing on stage.

Happy birthday!

August 2nd, 2005 09:10 AM
FPM C10

Funny thing I noticed about the wonderful re-issue of the Last Waltz - whoever did the graphic art for the cover, and the disk itself, used a Telecaster as a prominent image - yet as far as I can recall there isn't ONE Telecaster in the entire movie! Everyone plays Strats, although there are some amazing Gibsons on display. Not ONE Tele!

Hear that Joey? Not ONE Tele!
August 2nd, 2005 09:26 AM
HellsRollingThunder HAPPY BIRTHDAY FPM C10 MANY MORE TO YOU!
MAY THE ROLLING STONES SHOW UP AT YOUR HOUSE!!
August 2nd, 2005 09:39 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
egon wrote:

i say hell yeah!
and will have the car ready as from next monday.
was by myself the last tour, but had a blast.
crowd's better than marseille imo.
speaking off; will u come to marsillia as well...?

you re right Egon !! I was in Barcelona in 1998 and it was so cool!! let's keep in touch!!
ps: I plan to come to massilia may be end of august...

ps2: FPM C10 needs to come to massilia too!!
August 2nd, 2005 10:34 AM
Mr Jimmy Happy Birthday from the left!

Keep on rockin' & rollin'
August 2nd, 2005 10:53 AM
throbby A belated Happy Birthday FPM C10! Your post on the Clash show I shall never forget.
August 2nd, 2005 10:56 AM
Honky Tonk Man Fucking late as always!

Happy Birthday FPM!
August 2nd, 2005 11:01 AM
jb A very happy birthday!!!
August 2nd, 2005 11:07 AM
Joey [Hear that Joey? Not ONE Tele!
[/quote]

YESSIR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 2nd, 2005 11:13 AM
FPM C10
quote:
throbby wrote:
A belated Happy Birthday FPM C10! Your post on the Clash show I shall never forget.

Well, thanks Throbby, but here's one of the horrible things about getting older - _I_ don't remember it!

I'm sure I was all wound up, whatever I said.
August 2nd, 2005 11:18 AM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Well, thanks Throbby, but here's one of the horrible things about getting older - _I_ don't remember it!

I'm sure I was all wound up, whatever I said.

" It's a Pity that the Clash broke up as I thought that they were a very good band . " ( Peter Denis Blandford Townshend , 1985 )

|
|
|
|
V

[Edited by Joey]
August 2nd, 2005 03:35 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Late but never's too late. Let it rock you bastard!! and back to the roots yeah

August 2nd, 2005 04:18 PM
egon
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
ps: I plan to come to massilia may be end of august...

I'll be here mon pote. keep me informed!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)