ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 3rd rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Will they ever play Soul Survivor? Return to archive
July 30th, 2005 12:06 AM
the soul survivor Will they ever play Soul Survivor? Wouldn't it be wild?

July 30th, 2005 12:18 AM
winter Will they ever play (in some cases, again):

Sway
Sitting on a Fence
Winter (I think they played it once)
2000 Man
Moonlight Mile (I know the played it on No Security)
Some Girls (see above)
Down in the Hole
Sweetheart's Together
Jig Saw Puzzle
High N Dry
Dear Doctor
Coming Down Again
Too Much Blood
Little T&A (not since '81)
I just want to see his face
Let it Loose
Sweet Black Angel

wintah
July 30th, 2005 01:42 AM
time is on my side I would love to hear songs like Sway and Soul Survivor live but the answer is NO you won't hear them live as long as the STONES keep playing the warhorses. Given the time constraints of a two hour show, the warhorses suck off all the time necessary for anything bold like playing great songs from their catalog that havn't been played a thousand times before.

It's my guess that the STONES, to keep things interesting for them, will be playing at least three to four songs from their new album (I wouldn't be surprised if it was even more on some nights). It's my hope that the STONES finally take some chances with the rest of the time and mix some of the new songs with all of these great songs that haven't been played much over the years. However, this is only wishful thinking because, it's almost a given, the new songs will be mixed with same old warhorses.
July 30th, 2005 07:30 AM
luxury1 Soul Survivor might be too difficult for Mick to sing on a big tour. Let it Loose is not as straining, I think. At least it isnt for me, when I am belting them out on the Precor.......(my poor family).
July 30th, 2005 07:56 AM
corgi37 I dont think they could do it. Keith probably cant play it. Too many chords. And it would be 1 of those songs that they'd fuck up on all the time.

I love Soul Survivor to death, but will stick with the album version.

I'd rather hear Come on. I reckon that would be cool.
July 30th, 2005 09:50 AM
TomL They did atempt it at the sound check in Columbus last tour, We partied at the bar inside the arena and all had our heads out of the door that led into the arena. It was awesome.
July 30th, 2005 09:40 PM
the soul survivor If they did it at a soundcheck, they certainly can do it at a show. Come on -- let's list Soul Survivor a thousand times on the RS.com set list.

The Soul Survivor
[Edited by the soul survivor]
July 30th, 2005 09:44 PM
T&A
quote:
the soul survivor wrote:
Will they ever play Soul Survivor? Wouldn't it be wild?

They've done it many times. Folks didn't realize it 'cos they changed the words ...something about a rock and a hard place or something....
July 30th, 2005 09:49 PM
Gazza LOL..they changed the words and called it "it must be hell" too!

they didnt play that one either, though!
July 31st, 2005 09:48 AM
Gazza
quote:
winter wrote:
Will they ever play (in some cases, again):

>Sway

Yes. On the NS and Licks tours, they responded to internet pressure and played "Moonlight Mile" and "CYHMK". This could be the time for "Sway". Plus theres a wish-list facility on rs.com, so who knows?

>Sitting on a Fence
No chance

>Winter (I think they played it once)
They never played it (I think you mean "100 Years ago" which was played at the first two Euro'73 shows and then dropped for good. I cant see them playing "Winter", to be honest

>2000 Man
The 1999 tour was the time to play that one. Didnt happen. Doubt they will now, although I'd still consider it a reasonable long shot

>Moonlight Mile (I know the played it on No Security)
dont think so.

>Some Girls (see above)
yeah. theyve already rehearsed it this month. A decent chance

>Down in the Hole
No. "back of my hand" will be the token slow blues track of this tour, unless its one of the early ones

>Sweetheart's Together
No

>Jig Saw Puzzle
Wouldnt rule it out, but I'd doubt it

>High N Dry
I doubt if the Stones even remember theyve recorded it.

>Dear Doctor
Long overdue a live debut. Would be great in a theatre show, if they play any!

>Coming Down Again
again due a debut. Keith's selections for his solo mini-set show more variety than Mick's and on his past record of digging up gems like "Connection", "Silver" and "All about you", who would bet against it.

>Too Much Blood
wouldnt work in a live setting. No chance

>Little T&A (not since '81)
yes. (since '82 actually)

>I just want to see his face
very much doubt it

>Let it Loose
maybe. could it be this tour's "Loving Cup" ?

>Sweet Black Angel
No

July 31st, 2005 09:57 AM
blackandblue How do you know all this? Do you have secret information?
July 31st, 2005 11:06 AM
T&A he doesn't know shit - same as me. but he has a pretty good idea of "band thinking" as do I. and, i'm pretty much in total agreement with Gazza's remarks. I will add that they came close to playing Dear Doctor in '02 (rehearsed it at the Orpheum gig). Similarly I'd give Winter a slight chance inasmuch as it also was rehearsed in '02, so we know they haven't completely forgotton it.
July 31st, 2005 01:19 PM
Gazza
quote:
T&A wrote:
he doesn't know shit - same as me.

LOL

quote:
blackandblue wrote:
How do you know all this? Do you have secret information?

No, I dont.

Didnt say I KNEW it. The words "think" and "doubt" occure quite frequently in my post.

I doubt (that word again) that as of today even the Stones themselves have much idea of what theyre going to play on the upcoming tour, let alone some fans.
[Edited by Gazza]
August 1st, 2005 01:39 PM
star star i totally agree..with soul survivor, keith has probably forgotten how to play it. could ronnie play taylor's solo at the end of sway without screwing it up? i know he did play CYHMK pretty well during "licks" but that solo on sway is something special...
August 1st, 2005 01:56 PM
blackandblue
quote:
star star wrote:
i know he did play CYHMK pretty well during "licks" but that solo on sway is something special...

Pretty wel? He used much distortion but if you are honest that solo was a complete failure. He jerked along and it never ever came close to Taylor's effort on SF!
August 1st, 2005 05:08 PM
star star alright mr blue...i hastily agree....! i suppose he did do that awfully camp thing were he swings his guitar onto his crotch and grins like a loony person. taylor was far too cool. i think they should forget sway anything with a proper solo anyway.
August 1st, 2005 07:25 PM
Soldatti
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I'd rather hear Come on. I reckon that would be cool.

Mick hates Come On.
August 2nd, 2005 01:02 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
star star wrote:
i totally agree..with soul survivor, keith has probably forgotten how to play it.

I doubt it.... didn't he rehash Soul Survivor's lick on Rock & A Hard Place??

Soul Survivor is a great choice to play live!! I say they should definately dust it off for this tour before the Black Crowes beat them to it!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)