ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A Celebration Of The Blues - The Hammersmith Odeon
London 28th June 1992

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SARS concert: Report of unruly fan incident..is it OUR Nanky!? Return to archive
07-30-03 02:31 PM
Martha

TORONTO (AP) - Tens of thousands of people settled into Downsview Park just a couple of hours after the gates opened for a massive Rolling Stones SARS benefit concert as police dealt with at least one unruly fan and paramedics treated some apparently stricken by the heat.

Police estimated some 60,000 fans of the half a million expected for the concert were inside the park by midmorning, wearing hats, carrying water bottles and preparing themselves for 11 hours of music beginning at midday.

For the most part, the concertgoers - everyone from preteens to people in their 50s - moved in an orderly fashion through the gates as police let four to six people into the park at a time.

But a man who appeared to be in his 30s was arrested for assaulting a police officer, authorities said. And Toronto paramedics reported that at least three people passed out and were being treated on site, likely for dehydration.

"As the day goes on, more and more people are going to be sick," an emergency services spokesman said.

One patient was being moved to hospital, he said. Other minor injuries reported were sprained ankles and minor cuts and scrapes because of the unevenness of the field.

Some concertgoers were a bit overwhelmed by not just the thought of taking in acts like the Stones, AC/DC and Rush, but of how the long day would progress.

"I'm a little dizzy," said Rebecca Elias, 22, one of the first to enter the park.

Elias expressed some safety concerns, although about 1,300 police officers were to patrol the grounds throughout the day and countless security guards were charged with keeping things in check.

"I'm actually a bit nervous," said Elias. "I've spoken to some police officers and some security and they are really too lax for my peace of mind."

The concert, held on the 210th anniversary of the city's founding, is aimed at boosting Toronto's SARS-battered economy.

Karen Tocher, 26, said that while listening to great music was a prime reason for attending the concert, she also wanted to do her share to help out Toronto's economy.

"I plan to spend a lot of money while I'm in town," said Tocher, who flew in from Banff, Alberta, on Tuesday.

Inside the park, a large sign emblazoned with the word Toronto in giant red letters hung over the concert stage, the middle "o" replaced with a picture of the Stones' trademark tongue logo. An enormous Canadian flag was draped across the back wall of the stage.

The Rolling Stones will be playing a 90-minute set to close out the show. Other acts include Justin Timberlake, the Guess Who, Flaming Lips, Isley Brothers and Jann Arden, who will sing the national anthem to kick off the concert.

---

On the Net:

http://www.rollingstones.com/home.php