ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A Celebration Of The Blues - The Hammersmith Odeon
London 28th June 1992

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith-Egomaniac or Low Self Esteem? Return to archive Page: 1 2
07-26-03 03:46 PM
ianbillen

I think Sway and Winter were played this tour. Sway was definately played. Time waits for no one isn't a top notch Stones track. I don't think it fits in anywhere in a live Stones Show....also it is too fitting for them to do right now or atleat in the past 10 years or so. If Keith erased Ronnie on IORR then why was Taylor kept.

Keith did not play on "Saint Of ME" and the song was written and done at the Dust Brothers home without Keith every involved on the track in any way. Yet they played it live and even made a video about it. Jimmy Page played the Solo on "One Hit to the Body" and it was Keiths idea to use his solo instead of Keiths. I realize Keith will NOT be overshadowed on stage if he can help it and he may even shy away or not give much attention to songs he didn't have a big role in. I know that and so does everyone but I think this is slightly blown out of proportion.
Just my opinion though,
Good read,
Ian

quote:
BigMac wrote:
It's just like Keith and his egomaniac ways to erase someone elses parts because he wants all the recognition (Jones's parts on Honky Tonk Women from Feb 69- and he might have needed to, we;'ll never know cause it's not available). Don't get me wrong, I love Keith but he seems to have a bit of a complex about songs.

Examples:
-He didn't play on Sway or Winter therefore those songs will never be played live
-He erased his future brother Ronnie's parts on IORR (which I'm sure he needed to do, but you didn't see Charlie with the tape machine redoing the drum part on YCAGWYW or IORR)
-He would never allow Time Waits For No One to be played live, cause he knows thats Taylor's song (although they have played Moonlight Mile which may not have had him on the original track, although the acoustic sounds like Keith)

07-28-03 09:40 AM
Talya Peachfeather AND Mick's got the "Oldest Child Syndrome" and Ronnie's got the "Youngest Child Syndrome", so what??!! Everyone gets born into something or other. AND it's hardly surprising Keith slags off Mick - look at the years Mick's slagged off Keith. As for Ronnie, he does his share of abusing people. We're not talking about people groomed in social etiquette for goodness sake, we're talking about a bunch of people who thought they were rebelling against some kind of social structure!!!! LOL!!!! .... Only to find that years later, they're an inherent part of the social structure they thought they were against. Which says more about what occurs in our world of dualism!!!!! One becomes the other - light becomes dark, dark becomes light, and everything is simply a hologram!!!!! LOL!!!!!
07-28-03 09:56 AM
Joey " Good Lord Maxy! What the hell are you doing???"

<------ What comes naturally to him .

{{ CA - RACK }}

Triple Ronnie .

Jack the Y !
07-28-03 11:48 AM
Boomy
quote:
ianbillen wrote:

I think Sway and Winter were played this tour. Sway was definately played.

You mean that they were rehearsed, right? There is no way that they played these songs because I'm sure people would have dedicated threads to each one of these songs if they were played live!
07-28-03 02:23 PM
jb Keith is a very jealous person...look what he did to MT..look how he attacks Mick J.....he only puts up with Ronnie b/c he can control and manuipulate him....
07-28-03 04:18 PM
Martha Well, let me start by saying I adore Keith Richards. Hands down.

And...one of the things I cannot overlook that goes along with this discussion is that, in my humble opinion, Keith is an alcoholic. He drinks everyday. He is always medicated to a more or less degree and alcohol is not a mild tonic. It is very strong.

Alcoholism is a disease that affects the body, mind and spirit.

In Alcoholics Anonymous they say many things about the disease of alcoholism. One of those things is that alcoholics are "egomaniacs with an inferiority complex".
That seems to answer the topic's introduction, for me anyway.

I take a lot of the banter that comes out of Keith in that vein. He is argumentative and baiting at times...a feature of the disease....he is humble and defers to things in ways that put himself one down or one under...another feature of the disease... and he is somewhat incoherent in many aspects of his commuincation including, at times, his guitar playing.

And...he is brilliant in many, many way...very bright and insightful..wise even, on some counts......which is yet another feature of an alcoholic personality.

Alcoholics are very complex interesting, bright, loveable, enigmatic, talented, charismatic individuals.

They (recovering alcoholics) also say that when the person starts to use (drink) whatever age they are that then is where they stay stuck particularly, emotionally speaking.

So, that is how I take the teenage banter that he throws out from time to time. As a feature of his disease. Jealousy yet is another symptom of the disease..good call JB.
07-28-03 05:29 PM
doo doo doo Dude Let's not forget that Keith is perpetually high on herb as well (lucky fucker!).

That said, perhaps he should try layin' off the vodka-oranges for a while. He's basically kicked one addiction (smack) for an other (booze).

Perhaps Ronnie should start harassing Keith to clean up his act or threaten to replace him with Taylor!
07-28-03 10:54 PM
BILL PERKS I LOVE KEEF VERY MUCH,BUT HE'S NEVER GOTTEN OVER MICK DESERTING HIM AS A MATE AND PARTNER IN CRIME.AFTER ALL THIS TIME THOUGH,HE SHOULD BE KISSING MICK'S RING FOR TAKING CARE OF HIMSELF AND CARRYING THIS BAND FOR THE PAST 13 YEARS.CHARLIE HAS RAISED HIS CHOPS TO ANOTHER LEVEL WHILE THE GUITARS HAVE COASTED.HE'D BE TOURING ON A BUS WITH THE WINOS IF MICK GAVE IT UP AND HE SHOULD THANK HIS LUCKY STARS.
07-29-03 01:15 AM
ianbillen
quote:
Boomy wrote:

You mean that they were rehearsed, right? There is no way that they played these songs because I'm sure people would have dedicated threads to each one of these songs if they were played live!

You know, I don't what what I was thinking??? I just checked the setlists for this tour and I can't find either Sway or Winter. I thought for sure they had played them. I can even remember me thinking...Wow, sure would be nice to hear "winter" if they do it where I am going to see em. I can remember thinking "wonder how sway sounds live without Mick Taylor"? I guess it may of been rehearsals ...or maybe in my dreams. lol Sorry, I stand corrected. Although my Keith story still sticks for me.
Thanks for straightening out the facts for this tour.
Ian
07-29-03 04:52 AM
Diedre Hey, don't put the guy down. What drove the man to drink? Think about that. He's put up with a lot. He's entitled to be angry, if that's what people think he is. He really has the patience of a saint, if you think about it.
07-29-03 05:54 AM
Talya Peachfeather
quote:
Diedre wrote:
Hey, don't put the guy down. What drove the man to drink? Think about that. He's put up with a lot. He's entitled to be angry, if that's what people think he is. He really has the patience of a saint, if you think about it.

AND he's got enough money to get sober!!!!! Re: him having the patience of a saint - he has a loving wife and children, he's got so much going for him if he could only see!!! He could work in a whole bunch of different environments, most people who work together have difficulties (just human nature). He's got a low stress career, which he could leave at any time and still live very comfortably for the rest of his life, he loves his work - which is more than can be said for many many people in the world. He can more or less choose his lifestyle, what country to be in.

If anything, he has too much freedom - and my guess is that drugs and alcohol are connected to that. My guess is that it's fear not anger at the root of his addictions, and that if he had more survival issues to deal with (i.e. holding down a 9 - 5 to keep all the bills under control), he'd be placing his fears/anxieties there and wouldn't have the time for addictions. But that's just my guess.

So, I totally disagree with you about the "poor Keith" number, I don't feel at all sorry for him.

07-29-03 05:55 AM
fmk438j
Didn't Keith erase MT's Let it Loose chords and then tape it himself? I vaguely remember reading that here some time ago.

If this IS true (I don't know how anyone would really know for sure though) that kind of stunt would piss the hell out of me if I were MT. And Keith would be all like "Yeah, just cool it man".

07-29-03 11:21 AM
Martha
quote:
Diedre wrote:
Hey, don't put the guy down. What drove the man to drink? Think about that. He's put up with a lot. He's entitled to be angry, if that's what people think he is. He really has the patience of a saint, if you think about it.

Hi there Diedre,

If you are speaking to me, since I said I believe Keith is addicted to alcohol, then let me say it is not a put down in any way...it is just a fact. Keef talks openly about his drinking and he is drinking all the time...read the interviews...the orange soda and vodka are always present. His father was an acholic too. It can be genetic....and certainly runs in families. It is in mine.

Alcoholism is a disease..and by the way, saying there are good reasons for using alcohol to assuage feelings is not a good call. Yeah, drinking is a choice but for an alcoholic making this choice is to be their undoing....eventually. Alcoholics DON'T know how ( or prolly make efforts to learn how) to deal with their anger so they drink to cover it up or blow it out....they don't learn to deal with life on life's terms, they get into certain behavoir modes and stay very stuck there...and they drink and drink and drink. They are developmentally arrested.

To say a person has good reasons for taking this path in life is a statement made out of ignorance. And please don't take offense to that statement I am making it in a general sense. I certainly had no knowledge of this disease myself until my life took a turn where I was forced to look at how it has affected me and my family.

My 42 year old brother is a full-blown alcoholic and addict. He holds only temporary jobs and lives in one of my parent's homes rent free, never does ANYTHING with his children, although they live a mere two blocks away, he is not to be depended on and he lives in a fantasy based world of grandiosity....like he thinks my parents house is his even though he hasn't paid a penny for it and it isn't even in his name. He is semi-functional. There are "functional alcoholics"...Keef is prolly one of those. He has a lot to hold him up (like a bahzillion dollars)...and he hasn't been stripped of that...luck of the draw.

There is a lot of misnomers about this disease and there are differences in each alcoholics story but the similarities are what to look for. Making excuses for the alcoholic is something I see my parent's do all the time regarding my brother. I go to to Al-Anon ( for the family and friends of alcoholics) to learn how to name this disease and all the ramifications therein When I hear myself making excuses for the addict I know I am in MY disease. But I didn't know this before I learned how the people in the alcoholics life get sick too. It is a pervasive disease..profound, cunning, baffling, patient and powerful.

Alcoholism is a disease and it is a death sentence no matter what economic situation ..or band, one may be in....or not in.

I just hope and pray Keith is not suffering too much. I still very much adore him. I can love the person and not the disease.
07-29-03 11:31 AM
jb Mick chose to live more like nobility than like a the pirate image Keith chose.....Keith in turn, became resentful at Mick embracing the very culture they purpotedly railed about in the 60's....The problem is that Mick became a snob and Keith never wanted to grow out of the "wasted elegance" image he so carefully cultivated. The fact is that they despise each other, to a point were we all no that other than the 2 hrs 10 minutes they spend on stage, they have no communication whatsoever. They are not friendsa, they do not have common interests, and IT IS TRULY AMAZING how they keep this enterprise still rolling while entering their 7th decade.....
By the way, read in GQ that Johnny Depp based his pirate character in his new movie on Keith, and when I saw it with the kids this past week, he really comes across as Keith in manner gestures...you should see it just for that.....
[Edited by jb]
07-29-03 11:38 AM
Martha By the way, read in GQ that Johnny Depp based his pirate character in his new movie on Keith, and when I saw it with the kids this past week, he really comes across as Keith in manner gestures...you should see it just for that.....
[Edited by jb]
-----------------------------

Hey, that sounds like something I'll want to do once it comes out on video..I have no kids to take me to these types of movies, while they are playing in the theaters, that is. Thanks for the notice on this one JB. I'll keep it in mind and wait for the video/DVD release.
07-30-03 04:05 PM
Navin Keith played "Saint of me" on both the promo and on tour but never played on the studio version....
Page: 1 2