ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A Celebration Of The Blues - The Hammersmith Odeon
London 28th June 1992

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cirkus, Stockholm - July 22 - Setlist, reviews, pictures Return to archive
07-23-03 03:09 AM
Moonisup From IORR:

The set list

Start Me Up
Live With Me
Neighbours
Hand Of Fate
No Expectations
Worried About You
Heartbreaker
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Stray Cat Blues
Ain't To Proud To Beg
Everybody Needs Somebody To love
That's How Strong My Love Is
Going To A Go Go
--- Introductions
The Nearness Of You (Keith)
Happy (Keith)
I Can't Turn You Loose
Honky Tonk Women
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil (encore)

great list
07-23-03 04:19 AM
montana

[Edited by montana]
07-23-03 08:01 AM
luxury1 I gather this was a club show?? Nice set list, no? I find it amusing and heartening to see that they keep trying Hand of Fate, even though it has often been reported a train wreck.
Bring on the reviews gang...........
07-23-03 08:49 AM
steel driving hammer From RS.com;

Cirkus - Stockholm, Sweden
July 22, 2003

JJ Flash OR Sympathy

Tour Trivia question: Tonight was a tour ‘first’…the set list came out and the encore space read “JJ Flash or Sympathy.” OR. We’ve never had an ‘or’ before. Read on to see which song actually made the cut.!

Cirkus Kingl was our venue tonight. This was our second “circus” venue on this tour. The Stones have had quite a history here. We held the European tour launch press conference at the Cirkus in 1995 for “Voodoo Lounge.”

Thirty years earlier, in 1965, the Stones played a free gig at this venue. The show was broadcast on Swedish tv. The tv station still had footage of that gig in their vaults. They very kindly made copies of it for us and we watched it backstage. It was pandemonium. British invasion at its best. Screaming, squealing fans everywhere.

Thirty years later, things haven’t changed all that much. Every newspaper cover shouted that it featured some exclusive photo or tidbit about the Stones. The photographers and tv crews waited outside the hotel and trailed the band everywhere they went.

Yesterday, the band listened to recently finished remixes of “Sympathy.”
Keep your ears open for news about these remixes. This afternoon during soundcheck, the band talked about playing “Sympathy” with a percussion solo in the middle. We all waited breathlessly for the tour’s first Charlie Watts solo…

It was raining when the band arrived at the venue. Our first rainy show day. Luckily, the gig was indoors. The diehard fans who stood outside weren’t so lucky. It didn’t seem to bother them, though. At the crack of dawn this morning, there were about 15 people already in line. After all of the ticket holders filed in…at 11:00pm as the show was winding down…there were still over 100 people outside in the dark, listening to the show through any opening door.

Set list highlights included “Neighbors” and “That’s How Strong My Love Is.”
Mick’s voice was amazing on that song. Keith, dressed all in black, played his guitar slung low for most of the show. The stage was lower than usual, which put the band much closer to the audience, making for a very physically interactive night. Lots of hand shaking and ankle grabbing going on. At one point, Keith even strode out on to the catwalk.

Oh…the encore song: ‘Sympathy”…sans drum solo. The first time this song was played in a theatre venue on this tour.

07-23-03 09:04 AM
Zeeta Apparently they nailed Hand Of Fate...see Bjørnulf's review - http://www.iorr.org/tour03/stockholm3.htm

Getting better ready for UK!
07-23-03 01:27 PM
keith75 They mistaked more than once.
Didn't anybody hear STRAYCAT BLUES, I think the stones were somewhere else at that moment, the beginning was completely wrong (all of them)
And a few of other songs had mistakes to. They certainly can't make a dvd from last night's performance.

But that's why we like the Stones and keep going to see them.

07-23-03 04:12 PM
Hand of Fate Just back from stockholm, the club show was average at best I thought, not a patch on munich and I thought the crowd was very subdued, Stray cat blues was very messy as was heartbreaker. This tour seems to be very much hit and miss.
07-23-03 04:30 PM
T&A I'm still trying to figure out based on the reviews:

Was the drum-machine present during SFTD? If not, first time since '75....

I would really love it if they would re-arrange this song something closer to either the '75 or '69 versions. The drum-machine just destroys this one...was kinda cool in the high-tech '89 tour, but it just takes the life out of it now.
07-23-03 04:48 PM
sandrew I posted this earlier, but it bears repeating:

I have "Stipped Companion" in my car right now, and got me to thinking.

"All Down the Line," "Gimme Shelter," "Tumbling Dice," "Rip This Joint," "Black Limousine," etc. -- that coulda been the best live Stones album ever if it were officially released.

If we could have that Ronnie back -- the Ronnie that wasn't as good as the Ronnie of '75-89, but much better than the one we have now -- if we could have him back, things might be a little different on this tour.

Which isn't to say this outing has been a disaster -- far from it -- but I think the Ronnie problem has taken the bite out of this tour, and I think it might account for some of Keith's failings.

I get the sense from listening to bootlegs that Keith is trying to cover for for two guys when he's barely sober enough to cover himself. How many times have you heard him sneak in lead lines at the tail end of one of Ronnie's flailing solos? He's not stepping on Ronnie; he's trying to rescue him.

For all we know, the Ronnie Problem -- does it merit a capital P? -- is taking its toll interpersonally, too, which only makes things worse. Methinks the Stones are gonna coast their way to Sept. 15 as smoothly and as wrinkle-free as possible, and then there's gonna be some serious soul-searching re Mr. Wood.

Honestly, as much as it pains me to say it, I don't think they should go back on the road in '05 or whenever without a lead guitar.
07-23-03 04:59 PM
steel driving hammer Very interesting....................................
07-23-03 05:02 PM
Moonisup I gotta agree with you sandrew
07-24-03 08:01 AM
justforyou Well, Sandrew and Moon, judging performances from a whim and a boot simply don't make a fair statement.
07-24-03 10:46 AM
T&A totally disagree Sandrew....Ronnie's worst days on stage (89-99) are behind him. KR's best days (same period) are also behind him. Ronnie isn't nearly approaching his hey-day, but he has righted himself on this tour to the satisfaction of his mates, you can be sure....
07-24-03 01:22 PM
sandrew I think Ronnie was just fine in '89, actually. I loved those Ernie Ball guitars both he and Keith were using. Ronnie's solos actually used to have some sustain then. After '89, they became too clean-sounding, and choppy ...

You may be right that his mates have been mollified, but that doesn't mean they should be. ...
07-24-03 07:27 PM
T&A well the difference between Ronnie '81/'82 and Ronnie '89 is HUGE, much bigger than the differnce between Ronnie '89 and the Ronnie '94, for instance. His decline clearly began in the 80's when the work was sparse and the booze was aplenty....
[Edited by T&A]
07-24-03 09:56 PM
midnightmagic I would like to see the appreciation come out a little here
And if you where there consider yourself one lucky bastard and if you were not there get the fuckin boot and WISH for the next time.
07-25-03 03:03 PM
Phog Just got home to America yesterday and I'm still buzzing from this show. Yes, "Stray Cat" was a mess for the first verse. Once they found the groove it was full-on rock 'n' roll, though. There were other moments throughout the show where you'd hear a wrong note or chord, or Jagger would flub a line or two. Hey, it happened in the glory days and it still happens now. There seemed to be some problem between Wood/Jagger during "Brown Sugar". I don't know if Ronnie's clowning was the problem or what, but Jagger made his way over to him and said something. Ronnie had an incredulous look on his face and held his arms out as if to say "What do you want from me?" But that was it. All told, Ronnie was just fine at the Cirkus. IORR was especially good and the crowd loved it. The drum machine was present during SFTD and continued for a second after the band had stopped playing. Then the guitars slowly creeped back in and the tune was resumed without the precussion. Good version. The rare songs were all done well, especially "Hand Of Fate". I found no problem with "Heartbreaker" (solid Ronnie solo). "That's How Strong My Love Is" was a jaw-dropper, as was "Worried About You". What a show. I still can't believe I was there. Don't worry about the band, I was close enough to the stage to see that they were all loving the show. Amsterdam and London are in for a real treat.
07-25-03 03:47 PM
sandrew I hope you're right, Phog. I don't like to think of myself as a basher -- just an honest fanatic.
07-25-03 06:34 PM
steel driving hammer

Stonedoug has to wait in line like everyone else!

I'm not waiting on a lady, I'm just waiting on the band.
07-26-03 01:16 AM
midnightmagic Way to go Phog! I am glad you got to go. Good review.
07-26-03 07:32 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
07-30-03 03:07 AM
Rolling Hansie THANKS FOR THOSE PICTURES
I was at the Cirkus and had the time of my life. Hey, being 1 of the lucky 1700 people that got in, I ain't listening to any mistakes the band might make. I just ENJOY.