ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

RIP Jacques Lafarge
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Guns n' Roses to reunite without Axl Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
24th July 2007 11:35 PM
sweetcharmedlife Check out 14 Yrs. A great song by Izzy on Use Your Illusion............And I thought the Axl version of SOTE was very good. That's one the boys should play more often.
25th July 2007 12:07 AM
MikeyC613 I liked Guns and Roses for about a summer.

In my opinion, their 5 or so big singles are overplayed at frat parties and on radio, they got a lot of media attention during their height, which was at one of the lowest points in the history of rock and roll's popularity. They constituted the Stones RnR "Swagger" that people were dying for, but they don't even come close in importance to bands like R.E.M., Red Hot Chili Peppers, or Nirvana, all superior American bands from their era.

They had the Limp Bizkit thing going for them, they achieved massive success for a period, could put on a show and get kids pumped up, but I can't describe them as legends
25th July 2007 12:11 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:

They constituted the Stones RnR "Swagger" that people were dying for, but they don't even come close in importance to bands like R.E.M., Red Hot Chili Peppers, or Nirvana, all superior American bands from their era.

They had the Limp Bizkit thing going for them, they achieved massive success for a period, could put on a show and get kids pumped up, but I can't describe them as legends

You make me ill.
25th July 2007 12:12 AM
MikeyC613 "Civil War" elicits the same reaction in myself.
25th July 2007 12:20 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:
"Civil War" elicits the same reaction in myself.

As does all the art work on an REM album - I don't need to hear what is inside to know that Ploughboy Nine is about sucking dick. And those Chili Pepper geeks get more hits playing poncey ass pseudo-Sting jazz than Sting ever did.

Are you fucking serious?
25th July 2007 12:37 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:
.......they got a lot of media attention during their height, which was at one of the lowest points in the history of rock and roll's popularity.

Sorry to double/triple reply, but there is your answer, Sputnik. The thankful end of "New Wave" and "heavy metal" and yet there is a band - Guns n' Roses - pasted unfairly with the latter label. And putting out stuff like Lies? The Gunners helped Nirava kill all that fish stuff. They got ground roots fan attention, man. Even no-job niggies like myself were lining up for Illusion in suburban off-white stucco 3-bed apartment projects.
25th July 2007 04:08 AM
mrhipfl
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:
"Civil War" elicits the same reaction in myself.

aww come on! That is one bitching song. The last line is genius. "what's so civil about war anyways?"
25th July 2007 09:10 AM
duck Im the biggest stones fan, Not a GNR fan, But Izzy Stradlins 7 solo records are the best stuff coming out these days.
25th July 2007 09:20 AM
gimmekeef I can see these guys touring as a twin bill with Van Halen...yeah right...Triple the Stones huh?....Gee by last count thats over 1.2 billion....sure pal...GNR were a nice blip on the 80's timeline..its over...
25th July 2007 09:59 AM
lotsajizz the old GnR is over...the new GnR has been on a highly successful tour since last year.....slightly more than "a blip in the 80's" as some would assert.
25th July 2007 10:53 AM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Sorry to double/triple reply, but there is your answer, Sputnik. The thankful end of "New Wave" and "heavy metal" and yet there is a band - Guns n' Roses - pasted unfairly with the latter label. And putting out stuff like Lies? The Gunners helped Nirava kill all that fish stuff. They got ground roots fan attention, man.

Bloods are gettin' too hung up on all this G n'R stuff ... I mean , these V.C.'s are a lot smarter than you think ................. ********** Men in White Coats come over to Joey's Cubicle and give him his ' Medication ' ...... ************* ( fade to white ---- like an angel ) .

'kins. , Est. 1999
25th July 2007 12:41 PM
MikeyC613
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Even no-job niggies like myself were lining up for Illusion in suburban off-white stucco 3-bed apartment projects.

You're a brother? How can you not like the Chilis? All my black friends can get down with them.
25th July 2007 12:43 PM
Dan
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I can see these guys touring as a twin bill with Van Halen...yeah right...Triple the Stones huh?....Gee by last count thats over 1.2 billion....sure pal...GNR were a nice blip on the 80's timeline..its over...

Much more than a blip. A reunited GNR would gross in the neighborhood of $300 million if they were to tour again though. They might triple the Stones cancellations or even the amount of shows they are capable of playing in a week though.
25th July 2007 01:26 PM
Lord (Hetero) Hell yeah, Matt Sorum is a badass drummer. I thought one of the best changes they made was to replace Adler with Sorum. Don't think that Adler could have mastered the diverse patterns of Illusion I and 2.
In the "Bad Apples" vid - call me stoopid but is that Izzy or Gilby? The other guitarrist is always shown so quickly.
25th July 2007 01:27 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Lord (Hetero) wrote:
Hell yeah, Matt Sorum is a badass drummer. I thought one of the best changes they made was to replace Adler with Sorum. Don't think that Adler could have mastered the diverse patterns of Illusion I and 2.
In the "Bad Apples" vid - call me stoopid but is that Izzy or Gilby? The other guitarrist is always shown so quickly.

I think its Gilby. Don't Cry had the "Where's Izzy" sign in it, and it was made before Bad Apples.
25th July 2007 01:43 PM
lotsajizz Gilby...that band lucked out when it got Gilby as Izzy's replacement...it's nice to see Axl and Izzy have made up and Izzy has played a couple of dozen Gunners' shows since then....where is Gilby now?
25th July 2007 02:25 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Holy fuck, watch him go off on Warren Beatty - WTF was that about? Cool bash anyway.

Those faggoty ass biker shorts are as hesher hair metal as you can get. Good for Warren Beatty cause Axl is still hung up on Stephanie Seymour to this day.
25th July 2007 02:57 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
According to drummer Steven Adler, the event is due to take place on July 28th at the Key Club in Los Angeles.

Adler said: "I'll be down there with my band and Slash, Izzy [Stradlin, guitarist], and Duff [McKagan, bass] will be there too. It's gonna be great."

are you sure???

I've heard Adler speak - or, well, try to speak... its nearly impossible to understand anything he incoherently mumbles these days

maybe he just said: "Sure. I'll go down there with my hand for yer stash. Cuz he can buff me there too. It's a gonorrhea date!"

[Edited by Saint Sway]
25th July 2007 03:00 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:

Those faggoty ass biker shorts are as hesher hair metal as you can get. Good for Warren Beatty cause Axl is still hung up on Stephanie Seymour to this day.

me too
25th July 2007 03:27 PM
pdog you too biker shorts?
25th July 2007 04:46 PM
The jinn, my friend. Ax and slash = G~n~R
Everything else is filler.
Why bother if both aren't there?
25th July 2007 05:10 PM
lotsajizz I've seen 'em both....Slash is duller than watching paint dry.....the new band is FAR better!!

Axl = GnR
25th July 2007 05:26 PM
Dan Usually a band puts out a bit more material before turning into a nostalgia act with scab members.
25th July 2007 05:34 PM
Some Guy
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:

You're a brother? How can you not like the Chilis? All my black friends can get down with them.

moonpie is a brother?
25th July 2007 05:36 PM
Starbuck
quote:
they don't even come close in importance to bands like R.E.M (blah blah blah), all superior American bands from their era.

you need to be removed from this board and thoroughly spanked.

i am sickened. like, to the core.

[Edited by Starbuck]
25th July 2007 05:42 PM
mojoman
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I can see these guys touring as a twin bill with Van Halen...yeah right...Triple the Stones huh?....Gee by last count thats over 1.2 billion....sure pal...GNR were a nice blip on the 80's timeline..its over...

monsters of cock festival?
25th July 2007 05:44 PM
mojoman
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I've seen 'em both....Slash is duller than watching paint dry.....the new band is FAR better!!

Axl = GnR

rash is dry?
25th July 2007 05:46 PM
mojoman
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

are you sure???

I've heard Adler speak - or, well, try to speak... its nearly impossible to understand anything he incoherently mumbles these days

maybe he just said: "Sure. I'll go down there with my hand for yer stash. Cuz he can buff me there too. It's a gonorrhea date!"

[Edited by Saint Sway]

unlike keith he actually had a stroke
25th July 2007 05:48 PM
Saint Sway historically speaking... really bad and hideously shameful things tend to happen to bands when they try and reunite without the original singer

we're talkin ghey clothes, frosted tips, mullets... cheezy love songs... its just painful to watch.

shit and then before you even know it, one of the dudes kids is playing in the band for fucksakes!

[Edited by Saint Sway]
25th July 2007 05:53 PM
voodoopug
quote:
sweetcharmedlife wrote:
Check out 14 Yrs. A great song by Izzy on Use Your Illusion............And I thought the Axl version of SOTE was very good. That's one the boys should play more often.

I did like that song too. GNR was a very good band with an innovative sound and a necessary shake up to music. I remember the last real popular "rock" (I use that term loosely) album growing up around that time was Def Leppard Hysteria..and then Appetite came out and really blew our ears away. A lot of the songs have what todays songs don't have, recognizance. The Stones made this famous IMO. When you heard the first two or three seconds of songs like HTW, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, JJF, Shattered, Love is Strong, etc...you immediately know these are Stones songs. Same goes for much of GNR's catalog: (Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child of Mine, Paradise City, You Could Be Mine, Yesterdays, Used to Love Her, etc).

Sadly, they have an unstable front man.....virtually everyone in every band is replaceable except for the front man (there are a few exceptions, ie Genesis did not lose much popularity by using Phil Collins after Peter Gabriel, and some argue that Van Halen was still a factor with Sammy Hagar although I don't agree with that). Replacing Axl is not an option. I attended the GNR concert in Chicago last year featuring Axl and his hired guns. Yes, it was not the same as it was when I was listening to them at age 13-15, but it was fun. They could have been legends if they were able to stay together for a while longer and keep releasing relevant music. They proved with Use Your illusion I and II that they can adjust their sound to stay current. (ie Welcome to the Jungle doesn't work as well in 1991, but November Rain doesn't come across as a song that would be successful in 1987.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)