ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Olympiastadion - Munich June 11, 1982
Denis O'Regan
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How does Mick's lyrics... Return to archive
07-21-02 05:52 PM
Mother baby ....stack up to Dylan's? I think Mick is really pretty good myself. Bur I hope that Dylan's hype doesn't obscure Mick for the next century. Mick is REALLY good if you love to snicker. Dylan is too "serious" ... Mick is ...well....("hilarious"...bad choice of word...it works on a different level...anyway he's one of a kind thats for sure)
[Edited by Mother baby]
07-21-02 10:26 PM
Jaxx both are quite poetic. dylan is a real story teller and mick is just being mick.
07-21-02 11:02 PM
BILL PERKS MICK USED TO BE AN INCREDIBLE LYRIC WRITER,BUT HAS GIVEN UP MAKING A TRUE EFFORT.NOW MAYBE ONE SONG PER RECORD WILL ADDRESS ANY KIND OF SOCIAL OR HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANE.IN THE 60-70'S HE WAS RIGHT WITH DYLAN.
MICK'S BEST WRITING TO ME ARE
19TH NERVOUS BREAKDOWN
MOTHERS LIL HELPER
SYMPATHY
MIDNIGHT RAMBLER
LIVE WITH ME
SAINT OF ME
HIGHWIRE
NEW FACES
TOO MUCH BLOOD
SISTER MORPHINE
DEAD FLOWERS
SITTIN ON A FENCE
07-21-02 11:10 PM
Ed Grimley Give me Brown Sugar anytime. I don't need a song to provide me with a political opinion.
07-22-02 05:23 AM
stonedinaustralia mother baby you say "But I hope that Dylan's hype doesn't obscure Mick for the next century."

what hype??... and dylan can be as equally hilarious (if not more so than mj)

yes, mick has turned out some pretty good efforts... for mine GS, YAGWYW,TD (a fantasic extended metaphor),SFTD,SFM... the list does go on... though i agree with bill p. his efforts in the last ten years haven't really been up with the best of his stuff (cf. dylan)

maybe he's run out of things to say or the desire to say them

as for the next century, well as much as i love the stones work, it won't be for his lyrics that mj or the stones will be remembered (imho)

dylan, on the other hand (again imho), will go down in history as one of the great word-smiths of the 20th century and his name will be mentioned in the same breathe as such luminaries as eliot and joyce in re the 20th century... he is part of a tradition that transcends "popular music" and he will be thought of in terms verging on the shakespearian...there's a quote for any and every situation and his insight into the human condition is just as deep

and anyway good rock and roll doesn't necessarily need "deep" lyrics... in one sense they're more a hinderance than a benefit...to paraphrase a comment keith once made (with reference to the no nukes thing many years ago) good r'n'r should overwhelm your hips and your heart not your head

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
07-23-02 10:08 AM
ShannonDC As Dylan once told Jagger, "I could have written 'Satisfaction,' but you never could have written 'Mr. Tamborine Man'." Dylan is already considered one of the greatest American writers in the past 50 years, and his recent work is only helping to strengthen his legacy. IMHO - Mick has written many very good lyrics in his day, but I doubt kids will be reading his lyrics in books in 20 years. But I love 'Dead Flowers,' 'Let it Loose,' 'Moonlight Mile,' etc, etc, etc.
07-23-02 10:24 AM
stonedinaustralia i thought he said it to keith??
07-25-02 06:52 PM
Mother baby "I could have written Satisfaction, but you couldn't have written Mr. Tambourine Man"
Well, if Dylan actually said that..lol..(I'd be curious to know the reference and context of such a statement) imo it's only half true. Dylan couldn't have written Satisfaction, much less sing it or perform it. It's like Emotional Rescue, no one covers it, no one appreciates it but I'd like to see Dylan perform it in a concert....as the chalk scrapes his back..lol.
07-25-02 07:23 PM
sway >>It's like Emotional Rescue, no one covers it, no one appreciates it <<

Smashing Pumpkins used to cover it and if you didn't appreciate it before, their version certainly won't help.
07-25-02 07:33 PM
Gazza >"I could have written Satisfaction, but you couldn't have written Mr. Tambourine Man"
Well, if Dylan actually said that..lol..(I'd be curious to know the reference and context of such a statement) imo it's only half true. Dylan couldn't have written Satisfaction, much less sing it or perform it.

he did actually say it to him (its in Scaduto's Jagger bio courtesy of Marianne Faithfull) but I think youre missing the point by taking it literally. The social comment or style in the lyric of "Satisfaction" is something Dylan could have written and its probably unlikely that in 1965 Mick Jagger or any other mainstream pop/rock lyricist would have written lyrics that deep without having heard Dylan take songwriting onto a "deeper" level than it had been previously. Certainly from around 1965 onwards the Stones and Beatles lyrics - to name but two contemporaries - began to compose lyrics which were a lot deeper and less simplistic than the likes of "She Loves You" which had been the norm up to that point. Bob's style certainly influenced the Stones and the Beatles and any songwriter worth a damn from that time onwards
07-25-02 07:50 PM
lotsajizz Is Scaduto reliable however?

Sliante,
Sean (raising my Paddy (whiskey, not plastic) I got in Bundoran last November, Guiness is not for me)
07-25-02 07:52 PM
Mother baby I'm not saying he "couldn't have written it"...as such and thanks for providing a context for the quote. My point was ................(whatever it was it wasn't articulated very well, I'll try another time maybe)
[Edited by Mother baby]
[Edited by Mother baby]
07-26-02 10:05 PM
stonedinaustralia either scaduto is not reliable or mick isn't

i wish i could provide some reference to back this up (& it's probably around here somewhere - but it's not really that important that i spend the next four hours trawling acres of print trying to find it - if, by chance, i come across it again i let you know)...but anyway,i distinctly recall reading an interview with mj - and i would remember it 'cos this stuff interests me probably more than is good for me...pathetic, isn't it? - some time in the last ten years or so and mick was asked about this semi-legendary, some-what apocryphyl anecdote and mick's response was that his bobness had said it to keith

of course who he said it to isn't really the point (presuming that there is one)... what did he mean by it?? well i guess it could be like a lot of things bob says, it all depends on which way you look at it... and in some sense (again like a lot of things he says) he just throws the idea out there and every body brings their own meaning to it

remember - "the sun's not yellow - it's chicken"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road