ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Gottlieb-Daimler Stadion, Stuttgart, 3rd August 2006
© Stuttgarter Nachtrichten with thanks to Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: MTV Is 25 Return to archive Page: 1 2
1st August 2006 05:23 PM
glencar VH1Classic has been replaying the first day of MTV from 25 years ago. They apparently didn't ahve much to choose from back on the day. Lotsa Rod Stewart(Foolish Behavior album), REO Speedwagon & crappy Styx.
1st August 2006 05:24 PM
Some Guy I hear Castro is fading.
1st August 2006 05:25 PM
pdog MTV Sux... Always has, always will!

1st August 2006 05:27 PM
Sir Stonesalot Fuck MTV.
1st August 2006 05:28 PM
glencar Back in the day, MTV ruled. Yes, it's been crappy for at least 20 years but it had its moment.
1st August 2006 05:30 PM
Black and Blue
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yes, it's been crappy for at least 20 years but it had its moment.

Sounds kinda like the stones' setlists
[Edited by Black and Blue]
1st August 2006 05:35 PM
BILL PERKS IT SUCKED WHEN IT STOPPED SHOWING THE YOUNG ONES
1st August 2006 05:36 PM
pdog
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
IT SUCKED WHEN IT STOPPED SHOWING THE YOUNG ONES

Best show ever!
1st August 2006 05:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
VH1Classic has been replaying the first day of MTV from 25 years ago. They apparently didn't ahve much to choose from back on the day. Lotsa Rod Stewart(Foolish Behavior album), REO Speedwagon & crappy Styx.

well theyd no black artists for the first couple of years! I guess they overlooked that in their 'celebration'
1st August 2006 05:56 PM
glencar They had a couple of blacks in some videos.
1st August 2006 07:04 PM
texile i admit watching and being mesmerised as an adolescent by the novelty of sitting there in front of the tv until i couldn't keep my open anymore...
but it was always slightly depressing to me....
rocks stars started thinking there were more than rock stars and most made asses of themselves.
1st August 2006 07:15 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:

well theyd no black artists for the first couple of years! I guess they overlooked that in their 'celebration'

1st August 2006 07:52 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle No doubt a lot of fond reminiscing about the days when MTV actually played music...
1st August 2006 07:57 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
They had a couple of blacks in some videos.

Maybe to begin with, but it did get to a stage where black artists were invisible. They wouldnt play "Billie Jean" (or was it "Beat it") until Epic threatened to withdraw permission to play any of the artists on their roster in protest over their 'policy'
1st August 2006 10:00 PM
Soldatti MTV sucks since the early 90's
1st August 2006 10:20 PM
Highwire Rob Crikey! Makes me feel ancient. I was going to school in England then--5th form--and I remember some of my friends mentioning it.

Like most, my family only had BBC1, BBC2, and ITV. Oh yeah, and that Atari pong system! We came back to the States just before the debut Channel 4.

Help me out here...

So what the hell were some of my English schoolmates watching it on then? I suppose it was those big-ass (pre-scrambling) dishes? ...I never got invited to those houses.

When my folks finally did get set up with Dish Network in the U.S. (we live in the boonies), MTV no longer regularly showed videos. Man, that sucks!

I tell ya, some of us are deprived in this world. And some people get money for nothin' and their chicks for free!
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
2nd August 2006 12:53 AM
ebmp MTV killed Rock n' Roll
2nd August 2006 04:35 AM
Gazza
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:
Crikey! Makes me feel ancient. I was going to school in England then--5th form--and I remember some of my friends mentioning it.

Like most, my family only had BBC1, BBC2, and ITV. Oh yeah, and that Atari pong system! We came back to the States just before the debut Channel 4.

Channel 4 started in the UK in November 1982

Sky Television didnt launch until early 1989 (which is when I first got MTV Europe), but there may have been some areas with cable access who may have been able to get MTV Europe prior to that. I'm not sure when MTV was launched in Europe.
2nd August 2006 04:36 AM
Gazza
quote:
ebmp wrote:
MTV killed Rock n' Roll

Yup. which makes their back-slapping suck-fest a bit more grating
2nd August 2006 04:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Well...they did give us ......
2nd August 2006 05:06 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
but there may have been some areas with cable access who may have been able to get MTV Europe prior to that. I'm not sure when MTV was launched in Europe.

6 years after US MTV started, so 1987 (20 years celebrations next year!! Yay! lol). In Holland I remember watching MTV for the first time in my aunt's house in the larger city in 1989 also. In my small home town where I lived back then, they didn't include the station in the list until 1990 or 1991 I believe.
2nd August 2006 05:58 AM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Well...they did give us ......

God bless them for that, at least. And not just because the two of them hated Bon Jovi either.
2nd August 2006 06:28 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Gazza wrote:

God bless them for that, at least. And not just because the two of them hated Bon Jovi either.

you rang?

2nd August 2006 06:29 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Maybe to begin with, but it did get to a stage where black artists were invisible. They wouldnt play "Billie Jean" (or was it "Beat it") until Epic threatened to withdraw permission to play any of the artists on their roster in protest over their 'policy'

it was Billie Jean. Wasn't Beat it the one with Eddie Van Halen on it?
2nd August 2006 06:35 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
not bound to please wrote:
you rang?

You evil. Me like
2nd August 2006 07:27 AM
Honky Tonk Man I have no problems with MTV, I think it's great. I like Beavis and Butthead, I liked Jackass, I liked The Tom Green Show and I like MTV2 and VH2 alot.
2nd August 2006 09:22 AM
Shawn20
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Gazza, while your observation is correct...they've had little else for a very long time.
2nd August 2006 09:39 AM
gustavobala MTV is NOT cool.....i don´t like it!
2nd August 2006 09:47 AM
Egbert
quote:
glencar wrote:
VH1Classic has been replaying the first day of MTV from 25 years ago. They apparently didn't ahve much to choose from back on the day. Lotsa Rod Stewart(Foolish Behavior album), REO Speedwagon & crappy Styx.

Did Styx suck or what? For a city so large, Chicago has produced very little in terms of good rock & roll.

Also lotsa Pat Benatar, Who (Face Dances), Split Enz, and some forgotten band named "Shoes".
2nd August 2006 09:50 AM
Some Guy I can't stand that yer mamma show where they all sit around gangsta style cutting yer mamma jokes.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)