ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 3rd rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Back of my hand- WOW!!! Return to archive
July 30th, 2005 05:26 PM
The_Worst I am in shock at how much this sounds like a Robert Johnson song...It is scary! For years & years whenever a Stones album comes out the comment is made "This sounds like it could be on Exile"... I think on this tune that is finally 100% true!!! If this song was added between "Turd on the Run" & "Ventilator Blues" on a reissue of Exile I don't think anyone who never heard Exile before would even notice. It fits so well it's unreal!! Are we sure this isn't an unknown Robert Johnson song? Unreal!!

This & Rough Justice (which I believe is a distant cousin of All Down The Line) both have an Exile feel... ONNYA is a classic Stones rocker with classic trashy lyrics from Mick...

SOL...well, you knew there was going to be a Mick ballad on there so what does everyone expect?

With reports that there are more rockers, reggae, country, & even acid rock sounding tunes on the album I am VERY EXCITED about this album!!!!
July 30th, 2005 05:42 PM
The Wick Even though I think we might be jumping the gun with this being on Exile, I absolutely love this song. The only reason I hesitate is that it takes a long time before the lasting power of a classic is really set in stone, but there is no doubt that this is a solid solid track, and possibly worthy of a back in the day tag. The thing I disagree with though is everyone saying a Mick ballad as if it's acceptable. I think it is letting them all off the hook too easily. Do people forget that he can still write amazing ballads and that he has written some of the greatest ballads around? I loved Keys to Your Love and thought he was going back to writing things like Winter, but with Streets of Shite I think he should admit that he was inspired by Rob Thomas in coming up with that piece of shit and Lenny Kravitz helped him out with the lyrics. God, how was that weapon Rob Thomas ever allowed into the same room as the greatest singer and frontman in music?
July 30th, 2005 06:05 PM
T&A I with you, Wick. Folks that are singing SOL praises are to be questioned seriously - I find it incredulous that a Stones fan would defend this song, let alone glorify it. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I think some fans are just caught up in the excitement of the "season" and aren't thinking/listening rationally.

Regarding similarities of BOMH to Robert Johnson - no. Obviously the song is borne out of the delta - but RJ stuck pretty much to the 12-bar, 3 chord structure - that's not the construction of this song at all.

I also don't see an Exile fit. This is the work of the latter-day Stones for sure. I love the song, but this would not sit comfortably on EOMS at all. All IMHFO.
[Edited by T&A]
[Edited by T&A]
July 30th, 2005 06:13 PM
Some Guy It's Hot.
July 30th, 2005 06:52 PM
Taptrick
I've heard similar criticisms of Angie and Fool to Cry over the years and even to this day. Let's just wait and see how its received. BOMH - very nice.

July 30th, 2005 07:00 PM
lucasd4 Because someone likes SOL, they're not thinking rationally?? That's a completely idiotic comment. I like all the new songs I've heard so far, including SOL. And no, I don't like every song they've ever done. For example, the only new song from 40 Licks I really liked was Don't Stop. I don't care much at all for Keys to Your Love--a song that another poster in this thread said he really likes. If SOL ends up being my least favorite song from the new album, then it will be the first Stones album since TATTOO YOU where I've liked every single track. That has me really excited.

quote:
T&A wrote:
I with you, Wick. Folks that are singing SOL praises are to be questioned seriously - I find it incredulous that a Stones fan would defend this song, let alone glorify it. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I think some fans are just caught up in the excitement of the "season" and aren't thinking/listening rationally.

Regarding similarities of BOMH to Robert Johnson - no. Obviously the song is borne out of the delta - but RJ stuck pretty much to the 12-bar, 3 chord structure - that's not the construction of this song at all.
I also don't see an Exile fit. This is the work of the latter-day Stones for sure. I love the song, but this would not sit comfortably on EOMS at all. All IMHFO.
[Edited by T&A]
[Edited by T&A]

July 30th, 2005 07:22 PM
CraigP How can I hear it????
July 30th, 2005 07:25 PM
The_Worst
quote:
T&A wrote:
I with you, Wick. Folks that are singing SOL praises are to be questioned seriously - I find it incredulous that a Stones fan would defend this song, let alone glorify it. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I think some fans are just caught up in the excitement of the "season" and aren't thinking/listening rationally.

[Edited by T&A]
[Edited by T&A]

First, I agree we should not jump to conclusions regarding this song & I admit they will never have another Exile...That being said, the SOUND & feeling of BOMH feels like Exile to me...

I don't know what the chord structure is but I will take your word for it...All I know is that when I heard it I thought it sounded like the Stones doing a cover version of a Robert Johnson song... I guess we can agree to disagree!!

I am in no way saying I'm a huge fan of SOL...I don't hate it but I also will probably rarely play it...That being said, I expected a song similar to it simply because it's the type of ballad Mick has been writing lately...The idea that people are shocked that they recorded that type of song frankly shocks me!!
July 30th, 2005 07:32 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
T&A wrote:

Damn straight!

I get the feeling some people think our SOL bashing is some sorta anti-ballad or anti-mick thing, it's not, it just that SOL happens to be a ballad and we all know Mick is the driving force behind it, BUT it also happens to be as tepid, cliched, and horrible as lame ballads go, we expect quite a bit more from the Stones than this. It's gut wrenchingly embarrassing.

Hell I expect better from N'sync, they can write better sappy "Ohhh baby I miss you, I wanna hold you" ballads, because that's what they do for a living

which is where the problem lies, thats the reason I don't listen to N'sync music, because I don't want to listen to sappy "Ohhh baby I miss you, I wanna hold you" ballads in the first fuckin place

quote:
T&A wrote:

I'm not sure where Worst is getting the Robert J from myself, to me BOMH has Muddy Waters written all over it, Mick even sings in a Muddy Water-ish way, but the opening guitar workout and that sorta droning guitar riff reminds me a bit of John Lee Hooker, particularly that version of "Crawlin Kingsnake" he did with Keef on that Pointblank Mr. Lucky album in the 90's, but I feel pretty safe saying Muddys probably the main inspiraton for this

quote:
T&A wrote:

I think all this Exile jivetalk is nothing but the aformentioned "caught up in the season" hoopla, before the songs came out they were supposed to sound like Some Girls era, now it all sounds like it could of been on Exile, kinda funny actually, but its made for a few fun discussions/comparisons, eventually they'll snap out of it and except it for what it is, the new Rolling Stones album

[Edited by Bloozehound]
July 30th, 2005 07:43 PM
texile good post blooze......i don't hate SOL because its a "Jagger solo ballad" - i hate it because it sucks - the lyrics are stupifyingly DUMB;
i haven't heard back of my hand, but i like the lyrics, and THAT'S what i expect from jagger, some MEANING in his songs - sounds promising;
as for fool to cry, angie etc.....i'm sure alot of stones fans hated these songs when they came out, but these songs had soul, not SOL.....
July 30th, 2005 07:59 PM
IzzyStradlin Where can I hear ONNYA? That's the only one of the 4 I taint heard and can't find it.
July 30th, 2005 08:22 PM
Soul Survivor I don't really care much for SOL, but I do think it has a catchy chorus. If it's the worst song on the album, I certainly won't be complaining.
July 30th, 2005 08:38 PM
T&A
quote:
lucasd4 wrote:
Because someone likes SOL, they're not thinking rationally?? That's a completely idiotic comment.

I said "I think some" - okay maybe that doesn't apply to you, lucas. But, that doesn't make this an idiotic comment. It's certainly plausible and I have no doubt some folks aren't being rational in their positive reaction -they are just being blind (deaf) fanatics. So be it.
July 30th, 2005 09:02 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl This is THE shit! What a great track! Love it, I'm gonna burn the 4 songs to have them in my car, and play them 'til the new CD arrives home

July 30th, 2005 09:35 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
texile wrote:
i don't hate SOL because its a "Jagger solo ballad" - i hate it because it sucks - the lyrics are stupifyingly DUMB;

exactly

but I hear it could of been on Exile though....
July 30th, 2005 09:57 PM
Child of the Moon Damn, I really need to hear this song, don't I?
July 31st, 2005 07:33 AM
JaggerLips I reckon it's more like You Gotta Move on Sticky Fingers moe than anything!
It could have been a song they didn't use for Exile!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)