ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 3rd rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: July 28th Rehearsals Return to archive
July 29th, 2005 02:12 AM
Mr Jimmy Sorry... I didn't take any photos tonight so I've included two that I took on previous nights. Bit of a strange evening. They arrived later than normal and didn't start playing until after 10 pm. I heard Oh No Not You Again followed by Rough Justice and I have to say that ONNYA sounded better. Then again, that's listening through a wall! When rehearsals were finished, none of them walked over to the barricades to sign and they made quick exits from the parking lot... Ronnie was the only one who even bothered to wave and then pointed to his watch before hopping in his car. I did manage to get a close up look at L'Wren Scott and she sure is one beautiful woman in real life... somebody said she's 6' 4" tall. Unfortunately, she was fully dressed so I can't verify Mick's comment about her having the perfect body or whatever it is that he claims!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
July 29th, 2005 04:44 AM
Gazza nice pics

how long do they normally rehearse for?
July 29th, 2005 05:02 AM
gotdablouse Any chance you could do some brief recordings ? Result probably wouldn't be worse than the infamous 6 hour Rotterdam 1975 tape !
July 29th, 2005 06:11 AM
FotiniD Great pics indeed. Is Keith holding a CD?
July 29th, 2005 06:17 AM
luxury1 I see Keith has that "walking stick" thing--what was he doing with it last tour?? Before each show he had a routine or something.

Yes--Mr. JImmy, how long do you actually hear them playing music?? I have been wondering that myself.
July 29th, 2005 06:28 AM
FotiniD
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
I see Keith has that "walking stick" thing--what was he doing with it last tour?? Before each show he had a routine or something.

I think it had to do with asking for good weather
Keith the shaman
July 29th, 2005 07:31 AM
Lazy Bones I think they wanted to get down to catch the last bit of the Jays/Angels game that went 18 innings last night!
July 29th, 2005 07:35 AM
Gazza
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
I think they wanted to get down to catch the last bit of the Jays/Angels game that went 18 innings last night!

I guess that explains why Ronnie looks like he's fallen asleep!
July 29th, 2005 07:36 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

I think it had to do with asking for good weather
Keith the shaman

Right! This looks like Keith's "rain stick", the one he waves in the air before the show to fend off the rain! There was a vid about it during the Licks tour, and Keith said he made it from a piece of wood found on a beach (or something like that), plus bits of animal skin and red cloth or thread...
July 29th, 2005 07:38 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:
I heard Oh No Not You Again followed by Rough Justice and I have to say that ONNYA sounded better. Then again, that's listening through a wall!

Nevertheless, it sounds yummy! We do need ONNYA and RJ live for the tour!
July 29th, 2005 08:01 AM
Lord Homosex I have been wondering how long they rehearse myself. Or should I say: how short?" because this time around the songlist of each day seems very short. Like they only practise for 20 minutes or so...
July 29th, 2005 08:19 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I guess that explains why Ronnie looks like he's fallen asleep!

Me too, for watching it!
July 29th, 2005 08:23 AM
hotlicks OH NO IS WOODY GOING BALD------HAVE A CLOSE LOOK
July 29th, 2005 08:23 AM
gimmekeef I think as far as rehearsal time is concerned we need to consider the amount of time they spent playing during the recording process.Plus they've been pretty active the last 5 yrs or so in comparison to other stretches of their career.With all the competition out on the road this year they'll be ready!
July 29th, 2005 08:29 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Lord Homosex wrote:
I have been wondering how long they rehearse myself. Or should I say: how short?" because this time around the songlist of each day seems very short. Like they only practise for 20 minutes or so...

Haven't been to any rehearsals yet. I do recall, however, of the few rehearsals I did go to in July 2002, they seemed to rehearse 2 or 3 songs and take a 20-40 minute break and then another 1 or 2 followed by another break. That's without the odd small jam or two, too. Just silence.

Gives me flashbacks...the first night of rehearsals I went to was Mick's bday - 3 years ago, Tuesday. He got quite a kick out of everyone singing him 'Happy Birthday'.

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
July 29th, 2005 09:39 AM
gotdablouse
quote:
hotlicks wrote:
OH NO IS WOODY GOING BALD------HAVE A CLOSE LOOK

err...NO that's someone else's face !
July 29th, 2005 11:44 AM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
Gazza wrote:

how long do they normally rehearse for?

Very similar to how Lazy Bones explained his 2002 experience, though this time around it's even less than that. Last night was particularly short... they performed only a few songs (twice or so each) with some dead time between. The complete session was finished in just over an hour, so actual playing time was minimal. I'm beginning to fall into the camp that believes rehearsals are less important this time (to the Stones) because of the amount of playing time in the past few years... they're concentrating on new songs and some others that they haven't played for a while.
July 29th, 2005 12:00 PM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Any chance you could do some brief recordings ? Result probably wouldn't be worse than the infamous 6 hour Rotterdam 1975 tape !

I haven't been lucky enough to hear the Rotterdam tape but it probably isn't any worse than what I hear through the wall. For most of us when we're at a Stones concert, we can place the song on the very first note where as listening through this wall it's sometimes a strain to figure out the song even after 5 seconds... a lot of the detail is filtered out through the concrete wall and the nearby traffic makes it hard to hear. There are some nights at Greenwood when the song is instantly recognizable... Under My Thumb & She's So Cold struck like bells.
July 29th, 2005 12:02 PM
Lazy Bones Hopefully, that's a good thing, Mr.J.

I remember arriving on Mick's bday in '02, and the very first song I heard them record was Winter! Followed by Monkey Man and another crack at Winter.

It's one thing to hear them record a rarely-played-live song like Winter. It's another when it doesn't hit the stage on tour. You, then, realize what a treat you've experienced.
July 29th, 2005 12:03 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:
...and some others that they haven't played for a while.

Please tell us!
July 29th, 2005 12:20 PM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Please tell us!

Hey there Lazy Bones

I'm not certain about these things but I think that Under My Thumb and She's So Cold haven't been played since the 81 tour. I went to 3 shows on the 81 tour and loved Under My Thumb... it sounded much better LIVE than on the Let's Spend The Night Together album of the same tour.
July 29th, 2005 12:25 PM
Mr Jimmy Silly me... (been a while since I listened to it)

album: Still Life
movie: Let's Spend The Night Together
July 29th, 2005 01:34 PM
hotlicks I can sleep easy 2nite,thank you gotdablouse.

July 29th, 2005 05:59 PM
Child of the Moon
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

Right! This looks like Keith's "rain stick", the one he waves in the air before the show to fend off the rain! There was a vid about it during the Licks tour, and Keith said he made it from a piece of wood found on a beach (or something like that), plus bits of animal skin and red cloth or thread...

I think, at one point in the Four Flicks DVD, he's shown waving that thing around out on a sidewalk in the rain. I think it was in the Licks Around the World docu. At any rate, one of the more eccentric things I've seen him do lately.
July 29th, 2005 07:39 PM
Monkey Woman Oh yeah, very eccentric! And the funny thing is, Keith himself says that "Charlie is one of the great English eccentrics!"
July 29th, 2005 07:45 PM
Gazza
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:

Hey there Lazy Bones

I'm not certain about these things but I think that Under My Thumb and She's So Cold haven't been played since the 81 tour. I went to 3 shows on the 81 tour and loved Under My Thumb... it sounded much better LIVE than on the Let's Spend The Night Together album of the same tour.

"Shes So Cold" was only ever played on the 81 and 82 tours. It was played pretty much every show.

"Under My Thumb" was the show opener throughout that 81-82 tour. The first time it had been played since 1969. It was played several times on the Bridges tour, usually as a winner in the 'cybervote'
July 29th, 2005 08:22 PM
Soldatti Nice pics Jimmy, thanks.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)