ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 3rd rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What did/do Jagger and the Stones think of The Beatles? Return to archive
July 27th, 2005 09:22 PM
Rolling Beatle I was just wondering what the Stones (especially Jagger and Richards) thought of The Beatles and their music.

I know that they were pretty good friends--John and George in particular. John mentioned the Stones a lot in interviews as peers who he admired. He seemed to think of Jagger as someone not unlike himself. The closest he had to a mirror image in the music world.

Does anyone know anything about the other side of this? Did the Stones like The Beatles, as musicians and as people?
July 27th, 2005 10:31 PM
corgi37 Beatles? Who are they? A jazz combo?
July 27th, 2005 10:49 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy They weren't that close. The Beatles were a Northern English band. The Stones got their start in and around London. By the time the Stones met them they were already famous.

They did have a tremendous impact on the Stones, though. The first time the Stones met the Beatles backstage, Mick Jagger saw Paul McCartney putting on stage makeup. The next night, according to George Harrison, Mick had so much makeup on he looked like a woman. It was also George Harrison who got them their record contract - while talking with a Decca representative (who'd passed on The Beatles), he told them that if they wanted the next best thing to go with the Rolling Stones. In addition, the Stones's second hit, "I Wanna Be Your Man," was written by Lennon/McCartney. They picked up Mick (and Keith? Dunno) in a taxi, yelled "We've got your next fucking single!", drove them to their place, finished the song and gave it to them. Their version has Ringo singing, the Stones's version is the Stones's version.

Neil Young says you can divide every major artist in the world between two camps: The Beatles and the Rolling Stones. It's not black and white, but in the end one band will always exert more influence than the other. He considers himself a Rolling Stones man.
July 27th, 2005 11:08 PM
MrPleasant I can't help you with your question, Rolling Beatle, but it seems to me that Lennon had a lot of mirrors throughout his life - in the musical sense and otherwise.
July 27th, 2005 11:46 PM
Madafaka Hahaha! Here we go again!
July 28th, 2005 01:12 AM
nowhere_girl12 Mick and John were good friends, until the late 60s when John turned against all his friends. I once read an article with Mick that was entitled "Yoko Ono Ruined my Friendship with John Lennon". Anyway, the Beatles also gave the Stones 'I Wanna Be Your Man". They came over and John and Paul literally wrote that song and music in front of them. Mick and Jagger were amazed by this and were inspired by John and Paul's partnership. George is also the first person to "place a sitar in Brian's hands", and taught him to play. I also read somewhere where Keith admits to being a tad jealous of the way John and Paul often asked Brian, and sometimes Mick, to play on Beatle tracks.

There's a section on the Beatles anthology where John talks about the Stones. In the 60s they were actually very close with The Beatles, especially Mick and John. But like I said, John turned into a major ass and did nothing but bad talked everyone throughout the 70s, including the Stones, and the other Beatles for that matter.
July 28th, 2005 01:42 AM
Brainbell Jangler Why not ask someone who would know--an actual Rolling Stone? Here are some quotes from Bill Wyman's "Stone Alone":
pp. 152-153: "Our link with the Beatles, which was always friendly, began on April 14, 1963 . . . Soon after we began our first set, we were staggered to see the four Beatles standing and watching us. . . . We met them in the bar and chatted about our mutual ambitions and the problems of keeping going. . . . We got on wellenough for them to stay for the entire second set. They waited while we packed our equipment and came back to the Edith Grove flat where we sat chatting for hours about music. . . . They left at 4 a.m. . . ."
p. 241: "After our shows near London, Brian, Mick and Keith would adjourn to a club, often the Ad Lib in Soho, where pop stars led by the Beatles would hold court over drinks."
p. 290: After [the premier of A Hard Day's Night], the Beatles had a celebration party at the Dorchester Hotel, which Brian and Keith attended, uninvited and casually dressed. They were welcomed with champagne by the Beatles."
p. 556: A casual idea that the Stones and Beatles might link up in management to form our own record production organization was blown up by Jonathan King."
And, of course, there were the guest appearances by Mick on "All You Need Is Love" and John & Paul on "We Love You" as well as the "Welcome the Rolling Stones" shirt on the cover of Sgt. Pepper's and the hidden Beatle photos on TSMR.
I'd say they were chums.
July 28th, 2005 08:41 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Well I think that Yoko once said that Mick was a bad influence on John. Now that's a good thing, most of my good friends were always a bad influence on me. So Mick was a good friend, he cared enough about John to be a bad influence on him.
July 28th, 2005 08:50 AM
gimmekeef Did Keith not spend time in later years with John in NYC?...I heard rumors that they would play together just in one anothers apartments?...Geez what boots they would be if true huh?
July 28th, 2005 09:02 AM
corgi37 And, dont forget, Mick & Paul collaborated to release similar sounding records.

Let it bleed - Let it be.

July 28th, 2005 09:17 AM
Monkey Woman For a collection of what Keith and Mick said about fellow musicians, see this page at the (once again brilliant) Timeisonourside.com website:

http://www.timeisonourside.com/musictaste.html

Mick on the Beatles:

"The Beatles were so big that it's hard for people not alive at the time to realize just how big they were. There isn't a real comparison with anyone now. I suppose Michael Jackson at one point, but it still doesn't quite seem the same. They were so big that to be competitive with them was impossible. I'm talking about in record sales and tours and all this. They were huge... They certainly were not a great live band. Maybe they were in the days of the Cavern, when they were coming up as a club band. I'm sure they were hilariously funny and all that. And they did have this really good onstage persona. But as far as the modern-day world, they were not a great performing band. But... (t)hey were the Beatles. They were this forerunning, breakthrough item, and that's hard to overestimate."
- Mick Jagger, 1995

Mick and Keith on John and Paul:

"I liked John very much to start. We all had a good relationship with John. He seemed to be in sympathy with our kind of music, so we used to go out to clubs a lot... He was educated and very smart and cynical and funny and really amusing company. He had a very funny take on the rest of the Beatles... But I used to get on with Paul as well. Paul is very nice and easy to get on with - didn't have the acerbic side. You always knew with John, you're gonna be on the end of a lot of sarcastic remarks that you weren't always in the mood for."
- Mick Jagger, 1995

"No, I'm not at all interested in what (Paul McCartney) does. Unfortunately, John Lennon's dead..."
- Keith Richards, 1997

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
July 28th, 2005 09:36 AM
egon any questions regarding the beatles shall be answered by JB and JB only!
July 28th, 2005 09:44 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
You always knew with John, you're gonna be on the end of a lot of sarcastic remarks that you weren't always in the mood for."

Well.....that's Rock n Roll.

July 28th, 2005 11:16 AM
nowhere_girl12
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Well I think that Yoko once said that Mick was a bad influence on John. Now that's a good thing, most of my good friends were always a bad influence on me. So Mick was a good friend, he cared enough about John to be a bad influence on him.

Phffft, the hell with Yoko. She said Paul was a freaking bad influence on John for Christ sake. I know during Brian's last days, he was spending lots of time with John, recording stuff at his farm. Anna (Brian's gf at the time), tried looking for some of the tapes but apparently they were stolen when all those workers trashed his house following his death. Horrible really.
July 28th, 2005 11:29 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
Neil Young says you can divide every major artist in the world between two camps: The Beatles and the Rolling Stones. It's not black and white, but in the end one band will always exert more influence than the other. He considers himself a Rolling Stones man.

That explains his presence at the Wiltern show 4 November 2002!
July 28th, 2005 11:32 AM
FPM C10
quote:
nowhere_girl12 wrote:

I know during Brian's last days, he was spending lots of time with John, recording stuff at his farm. Anna (Brian's gf at the time), tried looking for some of the tapes but apparently they were stolen when all those workers trashed his house following his death. Horrible really.

WHAT?? Brian recording with John LENNON?

That sounds, um, a bit ... apocryphal.

I believe John MAYALL came to Cotchford. I've never read anywhere that John Lennon did. Is that in Anna Wohlin's book?
July 28th, 2005 11:37 AM
Doxa It is funny to compare that 1995 Rolling Stone inrterview to that what Jagger says in Stones In The Park document:

"You know, I've always thought that The Beatles' thing - you know, when they WERE big - was doing records. Ours was like doing concerts" - Mick Jagger, 1969.

Using the imperfect "were" (1969) is excellent

- Doxa
[Edited by Doxa]
July 28th, 2005 11:37 AM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Well I think that Yoko once said that Mick was a bad influence on John. Now that's a good thing, most of my good friends were always a bad influence on me. So Mick was a good friend, he cared enough about John to be a bad influence on him.

You are a very wise young man .

Don't tell anyone but you are RAPIDLY becoming one of my favorite posters around here -- I have got my eye on you .

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKY !
July 28th, 2005 12:56 PM
Stones
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Beatles? Who are they? A jazz combo?

I seem to remember their old caterwalling on the old sullivan show
[Edited by Stones]
July 28th, 2005 01:08 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Doxa wrote:
It is funny to compare that 1995 Rolling Stone inrterview to that what Jagger says in Stones In The Park document:

"You know, I've always thought that The Beatles' thing - you know, when they WERE big - was doing records. Ours was like doing concerts" - Mick Jagger, 1969.

Using the imperfect "were" (1969) is excellent

- Doxa
[Edited by Doxa]

Mick always knew how to spin an interview... But not that he says "was" about the Stones. That was just before Hyde Park, the 1st concert in 2 years, so maybe in r'n'r timeline it felt like eternity...
July 28th, 2005 01:23 PM
Rolling Beatle
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
And, of course, there were the guest appearances by Mick on "All You Need Is Love" and John & Paul on "We Love You" as well as the "Welcome the Rolling Stones" shirt on the cover of Sgt. Pepper's and the hidden Beatle photos on TSMR.
I'd say they were chums.

And, of course, Brian played the awesome saxophone solo on "You Know My Name".
July 28th, 2005 06:27 PM
nowhere_girl12
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

WHAT?? Brian recording with John LENNON?

That sounds, um, a bit ... apocryphal.

I believe John MAYALL came to Cotchford. I've never read anywhere that John Lennon did. Is that in Anna Wohlin's book?

Erm, nope. Pretty sure it said Lennon. Also it refers to him as "who used to be best pals with Mick Jagger". And I doubt that's John Mayall.

And no, it wasn't in her book, it was in an article I read. I could look for it if you want to see what it all says.
July 28th, 2005 06:29 PM
nowhere_girl12
quote:
nowhere_girl12 wrote:

Erm, nope. Pretty sure it said Lennon. Also it refers to him as "who used to be best pals with Mick Jagger". And I doubt that's John Mayall.

And no, it wasn't in her book, it was in an article I read. I could look for it if you want to see what it all says.

have you ever seen the Rolling Stones reference they manage to sneak in 'Yellow Submarine' (the movie). It took me awhile to actually see it, but it's sweet. It's this banner that just comes popping out (amongst many other things), and it says 'the Rolling Stones' on it.
July 28th, 2005 06:31 PM
WeepingDandelion Keith talks about George's guitar sound (question 145)and John (question 149)in the "Ask Keith" section on his official site.
He doesn't say anything about George's slide guitar playing as he was asked to, though...
July 28th, 2005 09:29 PM
Brainbell Jangler Actually, doxa, that's the plural past tense "were" ("when they were big") rather than the imperfect "were" ("If I were the king of the forest").
July 28th, 2005 11:05 PM
exile That COLD sarcastic exchange between John and Mick at the Rock and ROLL CIRCUS always springs to mind.
"Are you really....experienced?"
"Well You've read my File"
Mick didn't look too happy

Then again...they recorded "Too Many Cooks" together which is one of my all time favourite bootleg songs
play it all the time. I read it was recently purchased, the original recording do you think they will ever officially release that song.
July 28th, 2005 11:58 PM
Bruno Stone Can somebody post those pics of John and Mick by the piano, or those with them playing guitars in the studio, I guess the Record Plant, 72 or 73...
July 29th, 2005 01:07 AM
nowhere_girl12 I don't have the particular pic you asked for, but here are some Stone/Beatle pics I DO have:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
According to the site I found this on, that's Mick across from Paul, but I don't see it :S

July 29th, 2005 11:26 AM
Rolling Beatle Nowhere Girl, you are my hero for posting those pics.
[Edited by Rolling Beatle]
July 29th, 2005 12:11 PM
Lazy Bones And, now...

Lennon lyrics sell for $1.3M

A handwritten lyric sheet of the Beatles song All You Need is Love has sold for about $1.3 million at an auction of rock music memorabilia, which focused on John Lennon.

The musical manuscript was the highlight of the London auction, which also included clothing, artwork and musical instruments from other Beatles and items from musicians such as Jimi Hendrix and Bob Dylan.

Auction house Cooper Owen sold a trove of John Lennon memorabilia, including a handwritten lyric sheet for 'All You Need Is Love,' in London Thursday evening. (AP Photo)
Lennon had used the lyric sheet during a BBC TV performance by the Beatles in 1967. It was one of the band's final TV appearances. A woman working for the public broadcaster at the time provided a letter of authenticity for the Thursday evening auction.

"The atmosphere really was quite something, especially when the manuscript was sold for 600,000 pounds (about $1.3 million)," a Cooper Owen auction spokesperson said.

An anonymous buyer purchased the sheet. A U.S. collector, who also asked to remain anonymous, had built up the collection for the past 25 years and had previously shown some of the memorabilia at the U.S. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and at the Beatles Story Museum in the U.K.

Other notable Lennon items were sold at the auction, held at London's Hippodrome:

A military-style tunic he wore for a 1966 Life magazine photo shoot, which is believed to have been the inspiration for the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band cover, sold for about $215,000 – roughly three times its pre-sale estimated price.
A pair of his trademark round glasses sold for approximately $118,000.
A piano from his New York apartment sold for about $302,000.
Watercolours he painted at the age of 11 sold for about $150,000.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)