ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 3rd rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "A Bigger Bang" - cover and track listing Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
July 27th, 2005 11:40 AM
ListenToTheLion The cover is the best one since Stripped and of the studio albums the best one since Tattoo You. I surely hope the album will bring some real musical surprises.
July 27th, 2005 11:40 AM
trevcourt
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

or may be it's Bill in the background
great tribute!!

Or maybe its Darryl Jones!
July 27th, 2005 11:41 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I told you when I saw you in Paris that my written French was still quite good....!

And so it is, my dear sir!
July 27th, 2005 11:50 AM
Gazza
quote:
trevcourt wrote:

I detect you debate Bill's input and significance to the Rolling Stones. In that case, DJ may be a more active member than Bill ever was!

It's no big deal one way or the other, it's just strange to not acknowledge the bass player. A rock band has a bass player because a real band plays live. No human, even Keith, can play guitar and bass at the same time. Though I realize there was no press release to announce that Bill was replaced, and the Stones may state offically that he was not replaced, that doesn't change the fact that he was replaced. You don't need it in writing for it to be true.

No...you miss what I'm saying. of course Bill was a full band member, but youre using the shows youve seen as a yardstick as to how many are officially in the band - whereas the Stones have never just been a five piece band onstage. There were always auxiliary musicians, whether it was Stu tinkling the ivories offstage in the 60's or the full 'revue' that they have now.

Not so sure about Darryl being more 'active' than Bill. he's only on a few songs on BTB and I dont get the impression hes on too many songs on the new album.

quote:
Though I realize there was no press release to announce that Bill was replaced, and the Stones may state offically that he was not replaced, that doesn't change the fact that he was replaced. You don't need it in writing for it to be true.

if the STONES state OFFICIALLY that he WASNT replaced, what more evidence does anyone need?? Whether he SHOULD have been is another issue. (Bootsy Collins? Thats actually a pretty good choice!!)

Its hardly unprecedented for a band to reduce the official size of its personnel when one of them leaves or dies. The Who didnt 'replace' John Entwistle - they hired a session musician (Pino Palladino) to play onstage in his place. The Stones obviously had business reasons for not cutting a new guy into the deal this late in their careers (at the time Bill left, they finally 'promoted' Woody to being a full member financially, although he was strictly speaking a band member prior to that). Darryl is a hired hand, simple as that.

The Stones have reduced the size of the band before, dont forget. They never officially 'replaced' Ian Stewart either.
July 27th, 2005 11:50 AM
Mr Jimmy Thanks Gazza.

With every bit of new info coming our way it seems like this album will be very entertaining in various ways... the "con" entendres are very Stonesy indeed. No way it's UNintentional.
July 27th, 2005 11:51 AM
Gazza
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
I can see Brian in the background between Mick and Charlie.

i'm straining my eyes at that photo and cant see where hes supposed to be??
July 27th, 2005 11:53 AM
Gazza
quote:
trevcourt wrote:

Or maybe its Darryl Jones!

LOL. You bastard, Trev. I was gonna say that!!!
[Edited by Gazza]
July 27th, 2005 11:54 AM
Moonisup for the artwork go to:

www.fortylicksfanclub.com
July 27th, 2005 11:56 AM
Gazza

yep, that seems more in keeping with "A Bigger Bang" !!
July 27th, 2005 11:59 AM
Jumacfly great great great shot!!! thanks!
July 27th, 2005 12:02 PM
gimmekeef A Bigger Bang?..What... they are looking at Mick's dick?..BTW Gazza..after Bill left I thought some recording had been done with Bonnie Raitts bass player?.Any boots of those sessions around?
July 27th, 2005 12:04 PM
KeepRigid The second photo is very 'Through The Past Darkly'-esque. Keith looks like a demented Nicholson in the reflection! The subtext must be that, yes, Charlie is that cool beneath the surface.

And I really like the first one. Again, Charlie looks cool as hell!

I'm surprised Under The Radar is out. Hopefully it still made the cut. As for Sweet Neo Con, I always assumed it had nothing to do with conservatives and everything to do with being recorded in France. It probably is about Bush after all.

[Edited by KeepRigid]
July 27th, 2005 12:17 PM
trevcourt Thanks for the new album info Gazza.

I dig your understanding of my uptight obsession with the lack of a bass player in the Rolling Stones. Eveytime I see a photo without Bill (or anybody filling his shoes) it drives me crazy - a personal problem, but one that stems from my own love of this band.
July 27th, 2005 12:19 PM
Monkey Woman OMG! That artwork is even better! The Stones as mad scientists, indeed!

All thumbs up to the fortylickfanclub!!!

Now that pic, with the darkess, candles and strange apparatus, reminds me slightly of the cover of a book... Terry Pratchett's "The Science of Discworld", artwork by Paul Kidby. I'm not kidding!

http://www.ie.lspace.org/books/apf/the-science-of-discworld.html

Well, unless of course the Stones art concept derived from the same 18th Century painting than Kidby's... In the Age of Enlightenment era, strange and exhilarating experiments (anatomy lessons, astronomy, experiments with vacuum or gravitation) were documented by the greatest painters. Mick being both an art collector and a avid reader of 18th C. history... I'll rest my case.

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
July 27th, 2005 12:28 PM
Private Godfrey That second photo's excellent, it draws you in and you can't ignore it - It's gotta be the one for the cover -
I get the feeling that we're about to be rewarded with a dam decent album..

PS
Thanks to ListentotheLion for the my photo yesterday, My sister Dolly loved it.
July 27th, 2005 12:31 PM
Dutch Michael D. i love the Stones!! But whos is the fuckin' man who takes all this great pics ????????????
I like this one too:

[Edited by Dutch Michael D.]
Monkey Woman That artwork, that title, the inclusion of Neocon, everything points out to the boys being very confident about the album, proud of their work and glad to take it to the road!
thejuf Virgin/EMI has just confirmed that it will be the frontcover.
July 27th, 2005 12:34 PM
Private Godfrey Is it me or does it look like an extra hand in that photo ? Keef's arms aren't that long are they ??? perhaps it's a nod to that sixties photo with the extra hand !!??
Monkey Woman Amen! Great choice of artwork, and when you look at it closely, you can't help thinking that they must have had a lot of fun shooting it!
Mr Jimmy
quote:
KeepRigid wrote:

As for Sweet Neo Con, I always assumed it had nothing to do with conservatives and everything to do with being recorded in France. It probably is about Bush after all.

Do you mean it's probably about Bush as in George, as opposed to bush as in gorge? Or that George is a con, both neo and nouvelle? Now we're into quadruple entendres!

Apologies to those who know more French than me if it is supposed to be nouveau instead of nouvelle. I erred on the feminine side as I felt it was rather fitting for the noun.

hotlicks My vote goes to the 2nd cover------just !
July 27th, 2005 12:35 PM
Dutch Michael D. so, the pic above is the new album cover??? not bad at all !!! thanks
July 27th, 2005 12:35 PM
hotlicks Is the Celtic match on tv 2nite gazza???
July 27th, 2005 12:37 PM
Jair
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Cover is very "Stripped"-esque.

Yes, I would say that too. Anyway, I love the Stripped cover.

Did I tell you I have a taiwanese, an American, a Japanese and a Brazilian copie of Stripped.
My ex-wife used to say I'm obsessive/compulsive.

July 27th, 2005 12:45 PM
JaggerLips LOVE THE COVER, THE SONG TITLES SOUND GREAT!

THAT JAGGER POSE IS GORGEOUS!!

COUNTING THE DAYS!!!!!!!!
July 27th, 2005 12:49 PM
Jair
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
That artwork, that title, the inclusion of Neocon, everything points out to the boys being very confident about the album, proud of their work and glad to take it to the road!

Yes, or everything's fine but music...
July 27th, 2005 12:50 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:
Apologies to those who know more French than me if it is supposed to be nouveau instead of nouvelle. I erred on the feminine side as I felt it was rather fitting for the noun.

Close but no cigar... It's definitively a masculine noun about feminine parts! Weird!

But yeah, it may still be about a "gorge" (profonde, naturally) and the kind of "bush" that some ladies like to munch, reportedly...
July 27th, 2005 12:51 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Awk, I can't see the first one, the one that's supposed to be the album cover (not the one that says TBD on the first post)... the second one, the one with them surrounding the light - that one is awesome.

But it does remind me of something else... what could it... ah, yes!

July 27th, 2005 01:00 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Whoa, the more I look at that "flash" one the more cool it gets - the "mirror images" under the flash are very slightly different - Ronnie is holding a guitar, Mick's smile is more of a yell... crazy.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)