ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 3rd rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Surviving 'Doors' lose band name Return to archive
July 24th, 2005 07:30 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Surviving 'Doors' lose band name

Two remaining members of The Doors have been banned from using the group's name while touring with a revamped version of the legendary 60s act.
The LA court order also requires Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger to share profits from their group with the original Doors partnership.

Doors drummer John Densmore, singer Jim Morrison's parents and those of his late wife brought the legal action.

The Doors are known for hits such as Light My Fire. Morrison died in 1971.

After the ruling Densmore said in a statement: "I'm just so happy that the legacy of the true Doors, and Jim Morrison in particular, has been preserved by this decision."

Under an agreement struck in 1971, following Morrison's death in Paris, all three surviving members, as well as Morrison's estate, must agree on any use of the Doors name and logo.

Joint action

Keyboardist Manzarek and guitarist Krieger have been touring as The Doors of the 21st Century with former The Cult singer Ian Astbury since 2002.

In March 2003, former Police drummer Stewart Copeland sued Manzarek and Krieger after he was dropped from the reformed band.

Earlier in February 2003, Densmore began legal action against them for embarking on a tour without him. He was joined by Morrison's parents George and Clara and the parents of Morrison's late wife Pamela Courson in April that year.

Densmore said he wanted the band billed not as a Doors gig but a concert by "the former members of the Doors".

He had been invited to join the band but he said his ears were too badly damaged to continue playing drums.

The Doors rose to fame in the late 1960s. After Morrison's death the band eventually folded.

A biography of the band No One Here Gets Out Alive was published in 1980. Director Oliver Stone's made the movie The Doors in 1991. The band was also inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993.

July 24th, 2005 07:39 AM
Honky Tonk Man Thanks for posting this Ten Thousand Motels. I don't really understand what the big deal is. Everyone knows it's not the real Doors without Jim Morrison, but for Christ's sake, they’ve changed their name anyway! As stated, John Densmore was offered the gig, but declined, so what’s his problem? It all sounds very selfish on his part, to me anyway.
July 24th, 2005 07:49 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
... so what’s his problem?

I guess he's terribly concerned about the "legacy of the true doors, and Jim Morrison in particular".
Yeah, sure Densmore.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
July 24th, 2005 08:27 AM
HomerJRichards John Densmore is a wanker. I'm sure he won't be knocking back the profits that the court ruled he is to share in from D21's shows.

I don't have a problem with Robby and Ray using the word 'Doors' in their band name - they helped write all their songs so they're entitled to that name as far i'm concerned.
July 24th, 2005 08:38 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
HomerJRichards wrote:
John Densmore is a wanker. I'm sure he won't be knocking back the profits that the court ruled he is to share in from D21's shows.

I don't have a problem with Robby and Ray using the word 'Doors' in their band name - they helped write all their songs so they're entitled to that name as far i'm concerned.

Agreed. In fact, Robby Kreiger wrote some of they're biggest hits, with little to no imput from Jim Morrison. Light My Fire, Love Me Two Times, Hello I Love You and Touch Me were all written by Kreiger
July 24th, 2005 10:38 AM
FPM C10 "He had been invited to join the band but he said his ears were too badly damaged to continue playing drums. "

A year or so ago I read a letter to the editor by Densmore saying this wasn't true - that Manzarek and Krieger made that up when people asked why Densmore wasn't playing with them. He said at that time he wasn't playing with them because he thought their schtick was embarrassing, and in fact he was playing gigs with his own band.

My feelings on this are exactly the opposite of my feelings about the Dolls, and I'm not going to bother to try to figure why. The equation "No Thunders=No Dolls" is highly debatable. I think, however, that the equation "No Jimbo=No Doors" is irrefutable.

I saw the "Doors" on some talk show and they were, in fact, ridiculous and embarrassing. Just the fact that they were on the talk show circuit was ridiculous. It was like Regis and Kathy Lee or something. Robbie still sounded fantastic, but the rest of it was just total crap.

All I can say is - thank god this happened before Ray made good on his plans to have Courtney Love front the band.

July 24th, 2005 10:54 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I think, however, that the equation "No Jimbo=No Doors" is irrefutable.

Well I'm kind of inclined to agree with that but I think that's beside the point here. The point is do Krieger/Manzarek have a right to use the name in any form? (Whether they do cheesy talk shows or not is irrelevant.) I think they do but I guess that judge doesn't.
July 24th, 2005 11:01 AM
T&A from the coupla recordings that I have heard of the Doors of the 21st Century - these guys can still play - often better than the original band in the 60's....
July 24th, 2005 11:06 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
T&A wrote:
from the coupla recordings that I have heard of the Doors of the 21st Century - these guys can still play - often better than the original band in the 60's....

Robbie had always been underrated....big time. Maybe not so much now as people are starting to catch on.
July 24th, 2005 11:25 AM
corgi37 They played here earlier this year, and despite massive missgivings, earnt rave reviews.

I loved the Cult too.
July 24th, 2005 11:38 AM
mac_daddy too bad nobody is suing roger and petey - i swear, those two, pete in particular, has made it damn near impossible for me to listen to my old who records. they are a f*cking embarrassment, and they are still touring as the who. it is a tragedy. i am glad that the courts decided on the doors case the way they did...

i am not a foggerty fan, but i love creedence. but without john, there is no way those guys should go and tour as "CCR"

July 24th, 2005 11:51 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
i am not a foggerty fan, but i love creedence. but without john, there is no way those guys should go and tour as "CCR"

Really and I agree but the Doors are a different band. Manzarek and Kreiger had more creative input into the Doors. From what I can tell. I can understand Roger and Pete continuing on as the Who, I might not like it but I can understand it. I don't see how Mike Love can pass himself off as the Beach Boys though. I'm surprised he hasn't got a pie in the face yet.

July 24th, 2005 12:04 PM
mac_daddy mike love gets away with that sh*t because brian wont confront him, and carl and dennis are gone. that is a disgrace. didnt that d*ck badmouth the stones at one of those HoF dinners at the waldorf..?

it might be in their rights to do so, but pete and roger are still an embarrassment - i wouldnt cross the street to see those fools...

and while robbie and ray did contribute to the doors - that was a real band, they all had lots of input - jim was the public face, and robbie and ray both OK'd the idea of putting jim's image out there as a selling point. now they want it the other way, and the courts said no. look, they should tour as the doors of the 21st century. that is what they are, and they pull people in, at state fairs, and sh*t. too bad, because ian is a good fit, and they sound pretty good...

but they are not the doors, and should not be billed as such...
July 24th, 2005 12:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
and while robbie and ray did contribute to the doors - that was a real band, they all had lots of input - jim was the public face, and robbie and ray both OK'd the idea of putting jim's image out there as a selling point. now they want it the other way, and the courts said no. look, they should tour as the doors of the 21st century. that is what they are, and they pull people in, at state fairs, and sh*t. too bad, because ian is a good fit, and they sound pretty good...

but they are not the doors, and should not be billed as such...

Let the music do the talking.
July 24th, 2005 12:31 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Let the music do the talking.

agreed. but dont be frontin', either.
July 24th, 2005 05:15 PM
Poplar
i've always loved the doors (their first album is priceless) but because of ray/robbie/john, i was never a big Jim fan. that band would have been shit without three good musicians. morrison's bullshit poetry was laughable, but the music itself was soooo cool.

didn't those 3 guys do their scheduled tour right after Jimbo kicked it? I'll bet that was pretty cool: the good MUSIC without the pompous morrison persona cluttering it all up.

July 25th, 2005 05:37 AM
Zack That is an amazing post, Poplar. You like the Doors, but not Morrison! I'm not knocking your opinion, but Jim WAS the Doors. There are a gazillion good guitar and keys players out there, but very few bona fide rock and roll god charisma like ol' Jim. Sure, he took himself too seriously and turned himself into a fool, but his presence caused the alchemy that made them great. Like FPM said: "No Jimbo = no Doors."

The post about Krieger's songwriting is true, except Hello I Love You. That was Jim. But Robby also wrote Love Her Madly which was a hit, and Wishful Sinful, another single.
July 25th, 2005 10:39 AM
jpenn11
quote:
Zack wrote:
The post about Krieger's songwriting is true, except Hello I Love You. That was Jim.

I thought the Kinks wrote that.
July 25th, 2005 10:53 AM
HomerJRichards look regardless which side of the argument you belong to - the fact is Densmore has now succeeded in his court case against his former mates because their band name contains the word 'doors' - how ridiculous is that? Maybe he should also sue Three Doors Down or whatever they're called. I think it's totally insulting. What if messrs Ray and Robbie wanted to call the band the Dianna Doors, would that have been ok? it's a stupid argument i know but so is the legal decision in this particular case too....
July 25th, 2005 10:54 AM
gimmekeef They called it Doors of the 21st Century for chrissaakes....Sounds like sour milk to me...T
July 25th, 2005 07:44 PM
Soldatti I didn't go to see them last year, I spent that night with my chick watching mars from a park.
July 25th, 2005 11:38 PM
Zack
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

I thought the Kinks wrote that.

Only the music.
July 29th, 2005 03:29 PM
mac_daddy times are tough...

now they are giving free tix to two canadian gigs...

07/21 Vancouver
07/23 Calgary

Go to Ticketmaster

in the "TICKETDEALS PARTNER OFFER" password is "TMDEAL" They do have a $1.00 (CAN) surchage per ticket. was able to pull up back of the hall about 12 rows off of the floor.
July 29th, 2005 03:38 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I didn't go to see them last year, I spent that night with my chick watching mars from a park.

Is that what they call makin out now Soldatti?.....lol
July 29th, 2005 04:20 PM
Gimme Shelter I saw Robbie in a club a few years back and his band played alot of Doors stuff. I think his son was the singer and sounded alot like Jim. He signed a poster of the show for me.
July 29th, 2005 08:14 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Is that what they call makin out now Soldatti?.....lol

More or less I guess.. lol.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)