ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

ArenA, Amsterdam 31st July 2006
© Paul Bergen for Mojo Concerts with thanks to Angiergirl!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Let it loose Return to archive Page: 1 2
29th July 2006 11:58 PM
texile one question:
is that nicky or billy?
and is that opening riff a guitar or keyboard?

and gazza, there's a great version of this song on stp boot of 72 rehearsals -
alot of starts and finishes but they manage one almost-complete version....and jagger's voice is so loud, clear and present it gives me the chills....
30th July 2006 12:11 AM
ebmp that opening riff is a gutar... With an effect similar as the one they used in If you Really Want to Be My friend
30th July 2006 07:44 AM
corgi37 Along with Soul Survivor, LIL, to me any way, the best tracks on Exile.

Jagger's vocal is astounding. He's not really putting on any fake accents, or hamming things up. He's just belting that sucker out. Everything about the song is class. The vocal arrangements are outstanding. The song builds up like no ones businees. Charlies distorted toms towards the end of the song make my heart explode. The lyrics, as we know, are just mind numbingly brilliant. Even the little tinkering piano towards the end. Man, this song has THE power.

This track is a fine example of why they are revered, and why this album towers over everything they have done. People can say they never matched Exile. I agree. But at least they made it. No one else can claim that.

I really, truly wish i was old enough to appreciate them fro 68 onwards. I mean, how unreal would it be to more or less write them off after SATANIC, only to be given JJF, then BB, LIB, GYYYO, SF - each more superb than its predesessor. Then, they bring out EXILE, and all bets are off. I swear, some how, 1 day, some one will make a movie of just the tales behind the recording of EXILE.

Of course, its not all their doing. Billy, Jimmy Miller and of course Jim Price also own this astounding musical document.

As a little side note, 1 of the backing singers, Venetta Fields, has lived here in Australia for nigh on 30 years. She came out with Boz Scaggs circa 77, and decided to stay. She is mostly famous here for being backing singer to our biggest selling artist John Farnham.

Ahh, stuff it. I'm gonna play Exile right now.
30th July 2006 04:49 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I disagree.

theres very little guitar to this track. Musically its dominated by the Prestons keys and the Stax style horn arrangement.

obviously they can pull this off bc the 2 most dominate sounds on the tour are Chuck & the horns. It would be very similiar to when they do the Otis cover on the Licks tour like THSMLI

true, but the point of the song is that it is musically and spiritually experimental Saint.

But agreed that it could possibly sound like THSMLI
30th July 2006 07:22 PM
Soldatti Best track on Exile's second disk.
30th July 2006 07:42 PM
winter EoM is simply the greatest artistic creation in the history of the world.

To me, it is worth $450 per night just to be in the same room as the people that created this master peice.

wintah
30th July 2006 08:32 PM
FrankiePeppers The song is outstanding and I especially love the instrumental-only version found on a few bootlegs.
30th July 2006 10:05 PM
texile
you nailed it corgi...

i hope they never try to re-create this masterpiece in thier current incarnation -
i had the same feeling when they did moonlight mile and sway....it's a rush just to hear them do it but -
these songs, and especially LIL sound so in-the-moment,
it's almost sacreligious...
i can imagine the current backing lineup just destroying 'loose' with congas, synth and god knows what else...
some things are meant to be left alone, in thier time...
when i listen to lil, that's all i listen to that day or week....until i 'come back' to the world.
it's where it belongs, in keith's basement.
i think of LIL anytime people talk about exile being all keith -

31st July 2006 09:08 AM
F505 Exile on Mainstreet is the best Stones album ever; even the best rock album ever. Let it Loose is the best song on Exile so it is definitely the best song ever recorded.
It has it all: gospel, soul, rock, blues.

A shame the Stones have never played this song live.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)