ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

ArenA, Amsterdam 31st July 2006
© Paul Bergen for Mojo Concerts with thanks to Angiergirl!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones to 'appear' on final Top of The Pops after all... Return to archive
26th July 2006 06:34 AM
Gazza The show will open with archive film of the Stones performing "The Last Time" (one of only about 5 appearances that the BBC didnt destroy several years ago! Appropriately, they kept THIS one)

Fans prepare for TOTP's swansong

Savile presented the first Top of the Pops and will co-host the last

The final edition of Top of the Pops is due to be recorded on Wednesday at BBC Television Centre in west London.
Sir Jimmy Savile and current presenter Fearne Cotton will co-host the show, to be broadcast on BBC Two on 30 July.

Other former Top Of The Pops presenters such as Janice Long, Tony Blackburn and Mike Read are also due to return for the long-running programme's swansong.

The final show will feature celebrity tributes and archive footage. The last live edition was broadcast on 23 July.

According to a BBC spokesperson, the show will end with "a celebration of the programme's glorious history featuring many of the greatest performances".

The Spice Girls, Wham, Madonna, Beyonce Knowles and Robbie Williams will feature in the show alongside the Rolling Stones - the very first band to appear on Top of the Pops.

As is customary, the show will conclude with this week's number one single.

'Marginalised'

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Sir Jimmy, 79, said it was "terrific" to be hosting the show's final broadcast.

"Most shows don't last 42 days - we lasted 42 years," he said. "You can only feel incredibly proud."

Sir Jimmy Savile
He said the last edition would be "a one-hour spectacular" featuring "high spots" from the past four decades.

DJ Dave Lee Travis, who hosted the show between 1972 and 1984, will also attend Wednesday's studio recording.

The so-called "Hairy Cornflake" attributed the show's demise after 42 years to its failure to keep up with its target audience.

"If you look at your average kid who might be interested in Top of the Pops, they'll have their iPod in one hand, a mobile phone in the other, they'll be playing a computer with their feet and have a Wi-Fi aerial sticking on the top of their head.

"There's just too much stuff out there," he continued. "Everything's becoming marginalised."

Top of the Pops was first broadcast on New Year's Day 1964, from a converted church in Manchester.

The first show, presented by Sir Jimmy, featured the Rolling Stones, Dusty Springfield, the Dave Clark Five and the Beatles.

During the programme's 1970s heyday, it would regularly attract 15 million viewers.

But in recent years the show saw a marked decline in viewing figures in the face of plummeting singles sales and the growth of 24-hour music channels

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5215906.stm
[Edited by Gazza]
26th July 2006 06:51 AM
corgi37 I think this is really great. Will they be "live"? Or will it be a clip from the tour?
26th July 2006 07:11 AM
Gazza its a clip from 1965!
26th July 2006 09:23 AM
Zeeta
"Now then, now then, now then"

Savile is a legend - he's a local lad too (Leeds) and reckons he was the first person to DJ with two turntables and a microphone!
26th July 2006 09:25 PM
Soldatti RIP TOTP.
27th July 2006 07:47 AM
corgi37 Shit, they couldnt even do a new version for the show that helped break them? Nice touch. Then again, none of them went to Billy Preston's funeral either. Bloody ingrates.
30th July 2006 11:11 AM
Gazza http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_5220000/newsid_5228300/bb_rm_5228310.stm

Short video preview here from BBC news, with a brief Stones clip
31st July 2006 08:23 AM
jostorm Herr Gazza, did you watch it??????
Mick Jagger looked at the top peak of shaggability, but wasn't it funny how the dancers were dancing in bored slow motion??? Don't know why they bothered.....
In contrast to that, when Robbie Williams (higher shaggability score nowadays than Mick, imho...) sang Let Me Entertain You, the dancers went absolutely apeshit!
31st July 2006 08:28 AM
corgi37 Yeah, well, er, um, how many hits and successful tours of the U.S. has Robbie had?
31st July 2006 08:36 AM
Gazza
quote:
jostorm wrote:
Herr Gazza, did you watch it??????
Mick Jagger looked at the top peak of shaggability, but wasn't it funny how the dancers were dancing in bored slow motion??? Don't know why they bothered.....

Did you notice a young George Best was one of the crowd? The camera zoomed in on him about 3 times. Thats probably what gives the impression that the audience looked bored shitless. Fortunately, he was able to move past defenders a lot easier than he was able to boogie

as for 'peak of shaggability'. Three words. Beyonce, Deborah Harry

That 10-second clip of Blondie performing 'Denis' on their first TOTP with Debbie in that red 'skirt' brought back painful memories as it was the first time I'd seen it since it was originally shown in 1978. I was 14 or 15 years old and my parents couldnt really understand at the time why I was grimacing at the TV with a cushion strategically placed on my lap.

[Edited by Gazza]
31st July 2006 12:06 PM
jostorm Yo, Corgi: well, who gives a flying fuck about the US hit chart or tours thereof? I just want him to do things all over my body and thus "entertain" me ....

Gazza: I DID !!! I thought I was imagining it at first, and then I shouted "Blimey, it's him"! Yes, dancing wasn't his forte unless it was with a leather ball..... And yes, absolutely, I perfectly understand why everyone wants to have Beyonce, she is absolutely gorgeous in every way... and Blondie was such a cool cool chick, at the time I thought her and Chrissie Hind were the epitomy of coolness....So, did your mum ever ask about the strange stain on the cushion cover or was she too polite???

But I have to say that if I was a man I'd go for Shakira, the things she can do with her hips and ass you won't even see the double-jointed Chinese athletes at Cirque du Soleil do with theirs...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)