ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rediscovering Goddess in the Doorway Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 20th, 2004 09:34 AM
Some Guy PSYCHE!!!
Not really!!!
July 20th, 2004 09:44 AM
Bloozehound dude u had me going
July 20th, 2004 09:50 AM
Some Guy I found it, got ready to play it and thought...nah!
July 20th, 2004 11:12 AM
Snappy McJack
July 20th, 2004 01:49 PM
justinkurian Blue was a cool song, too bad it wasn't on the album.
July 20th, 2004 02:04 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
justinkurian wrote:
Blue was a cool song, too bad it wasn't on the album.

"Cool" you say pal!?!? WTF?!? "Blue" is the best song among all of them.....

In my opinion, I don't have too much against that album, except for Lucky Day, Goddess in the Doorway... In fact, there's too much time since the last time I've listened to it. But I don't think these craps kill that album on its entirety.
July 20th, 2004 02:12 PM
LadyJane Well call me biased, but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

In fact, "God Give Me"...w/Lenny is better than any of the four tracks on Licks, IMHO.

LJ.
July 20th, 2004 02:20 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Well call me biased, but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

In fact, "God Give Me"...w/Lenny is better than any of the four tracks on Licks, IMHO.

LJ.

See, I aint' alone..... thank you my love.....
July 20th, 2004 02:50 PM
F505
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

LJ.

Sorry but It was VERY bad! The only more or less decent track "Blue" wasn't on the album!
July 20th, 2004 02:52 PM
Moonisup i loved the corny Matt clifford flutes on the album
July 20th, 2004 02:55 PM
F505 Maybe but I sold my copy two days after I had bought it. IIt was really "Dogshit On The Doorstep" and I am glad Fiji Joe got a copy!
July 20th, 2004 02:57 PM
J.J.Flash You are angry with that my dutch buddy!
July 20th, 2004 03:06 PM
F505 Ofcourse JJFlash it is really a waste of talent to put out shit like that! A man who made the best music ever made and than.... this?????
July 20th, 2004 03:17 PM
MidnightRambler I've always liked "Don't Call Me Up"
Quite the sing-along.

"Gun" is mean and dirty. Mick should've saved that riff for Keith...
July 20th, 2004 03:39 PM
Snappy McJack Oh, give Mick a break. The other guys were too busy...oh wait, wasn't Keef going to Knick games and doing "stuff" in his basement? That's all cool, but too busy to make an album with your band?

Is there music-writers block really that bad? Why are they pulling an "Axl" on us?

I'm afraid the 4 on "Forty Licks" were the best of the bunch If that is the case, we are in trouble, my friends!
July 20th, 2004 03:44 PM
Moonisup I liked keith with the Wino's but hadn't he a 'tiff' with one of them
July 20th, 2004 03:55 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

LJ.

You know, LJ. I actually think -- except for "Don't Stop" -- the tracks on "Forty Licks" are highly forgettable, and I believe they were rushed. They just added them onto a greatest hits package to justify it for fans that already have every album they've released.

The thing with these "add-on's" these bands place on hits packages are that they are out of place, and most importantly, forgettable. At the time people say "Finally, SOMETHING new." I was like that -- but then you realize that soon, you really won't even be listening to the album that much, since most of us here own a huge chunk of their catalog.

To me, the tracks weren't even "burn worthy" to place them all on one disc. I always cringe when people say "Bridges to Babylon" sounds rushed or mediocre. Compare the rockers from B2B to the rockers on "FL" -- no contest! "Don't Stop" has a good groove, and the ending (fade) is, IMO, the best part of the song; I wish it would keep on going. But "Flip the Switch," "Gunface," "Lowdown," "Saint of Me," are so far ahead it and "Stealing My Heart". The rockers on B2B have sharp edges to them and they had major cajones, which I like. On the other hand, the Mick tracks on "Forty Licks" are so rounded, bouncy, and poppy -- ugh.
July 20th, 2004 04:47 PM
Bloozehound Don't Stop does have a catchy groove, it's ok and would've made good album filler. Those other 3 didn't do much for me, Stealing My Heart sounded like Jagger solo material, speaking of which, I've heard Jagger's solo material and it's never motivated me to want to purchase it, but I'll take some Wino's any ol' day baby!
July 20th, 2004 05:47 PM
Lavendar Sounds like some people are havin a Bad day! BITCH BITCH BITCH! I love Goddess- Now Wandering Spirit seems to have issues.
July 20th, 2004 11:18 PM
BILL PERKS dont call me up is the best jagger solo song
July 20th, 2004 11:27 PM
MarthaMyDear IT'S GETTING MIGHTY QUIET IN HERE!!! lol.................
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
racking-up... CARRY ON!!!

*** Martha ***
July 21st, 2004 12:03 AM
Zack Goddess is not that bad. My wife, who is "tired" of every Stones album she likes, enjoys it. So at least I get to hear Jagger's voice on the stereo . . .
July 21st, 2004 01:05 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
PSYCHE!!!
Not really!!!

That made me laugh out loud. Cause When I seen the post I was like "Yeah right.....Geez". Then I clicked the link and seen
you were kidding and I laughed out loud cause that's my type of humor.
Ian
July 21st, 2004 01:41 AM
MarthaMyDear AH!!! HA!!! HA!!! That IS funny... lol..........
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! :P Only took me a whole day to
actually read the first post but what the hey!!!
LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! GOOD CALL!!! Keep
up the excellent work!!! lol.. CHEERS!!! lol..
HE!!! HE!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
July 21st, 2004 01:56 AM
stones-addict Pure sickness! 'Goddess' was so bad, it made 'Primitive Cool' sound good. Mick's solo career is about as "exciting" as David Lee Roth's.

Gimme the Winos, Ronnie!
[Edited by stones-addict]
July 21st, 2004 03:45 AM
Poplar
Don't Stop is awesome.
July 21st, 2004 05:56 AM
Navin My first Stones album was 'Dirty Work' at around age 15 and slightly before that time discovered 'Primitive Cool' by Mick Jagger - which I feel is also great, and to this day have never been bored by these albums:

1. 'Throwaway' is a great opening number that always set the pace for the rest of the album
2. 'Let's Work' - also check out the promo video for this
3. 'Radio Control' - WOW! This is the ONE Solo Jagger track - "I'm a Player in a game show....."
4. 'Shoot off your Mouth' ...and...
5. 'Peace for the wicked'...and...

Most of the people I know have been influenced to some degree from the critical opinion and reviews and then formed their opinions on these albums...
I can never say they DONT ROCK - always liked them very much.
July 21st, 2004 07:53 AM
John Wood I can't stand any of Mick's solo albums. I didn't even want to hear GITD but got it as a gift. When I finally listened to it I was suprised and can say it is my favorite Jagger solo. As for Don't Stop I really like it, but as for the other three new ones they sound like the real Dogshit In The Doorway. Come on Keith you slag Mick's solo album but yet you put out crap like that????
July 21st, 2004 08:53 AM
Some Guy
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

That made me laugh out loud. Cause When I seen the post I was like "Yeah right.....Geez". Then I clicked the link and seen
you were kidding and I laughed out loud cause that's my type of humor.
Ian

LOL!
July 21st, 2004 08:55 AM
Some Guy
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
dont call me up is the best jagger solo song

Dude, why the sudden lack of cap lock? That was your thing, man.
Page: 1 2