ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A question to guitarists Return to archive
July 19th, 2004 04:53 AM
Taras Hello Folk!
I wonder if anyone of you knows what the kind of fuzz
Keith and Brian used in 1964 and 1965 years. Was it just
the clear sound?

Respectfully,
Taras
July 19th, 2004 05:52 PM
stones-addict I know Keith used a Gibson Fuzz Box for 'Satisfaction' in '65 but I'm not sure if he used anything else, or what Brian used. Sorry I can't tell you more...
July 19th, 2004 08:42 PM
J.J.Flash how expensive do you believe is a generic fuzz pedal (not a specific gibson).

I thought that at the time there were available those from VOX.
July 19th, 2004 09:59 PM
stones-addict I made my own using parts of an old solid state amp I picked up for free.
July 20th, 2004 04:48 AM
Mathijs The Stones did use the Vox germanium treble booster, fitted on the Vox AC30 quite a lot. It can be best heard on I Wanna Be You Man, and on live recordings from 64/65 -I Just Want to Make Love To, That's Allright, Bye Bye Johnnie, that kind of stuff. The only other fuzz box besides the Gibson Fuzz box that actually produced usable sounds was the Dallas Arbiter Rangemaster, as used by Beck and Hendrix. There's a picture of the Stones in the studio in 1967 where a Dallas Arbiter is lying on the floor, and a fuzz box can be heard on Their Satanic.

Mathijs
July 20th, 2004 06:46 AM
Zeeta
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
how expensive do you believe is a generic fuzz pedal (not a specific gibson).

I thought that at the time there were available those from VOX.

Hi JJ - I beleive you can pick up a "fuzz face" for around �50-60 in UK. Dunno about in brasillia though!
July 20th, 2004 07:11 AM
John Wood Between the Buttons has some fuzz guitar mostly Keith I think. But not sure what kind he was using.
July 20th, 2004 09:41 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
The Stones did use the Vox germanium treble booster, fitted on the Vox AC30 quite a lot. It can be best heard on I Wanna Be You Man, and on live recordings from 64/65 -I Just Want to Make Love To, That's Allright, Bye Bye Johnnie, that kind of stuff. The only other fuzz box besides the Gibson Fuzz box that actually produced usable sounds was the Dallas Arbiter Rangemaster, as used by Beck and Hendrix. There's a picture of the Stones in the studio in 1967 where a Dallas Arbiter is lying on the floor, and a fuzz box can be heard on Their Satanic.

Mathijs

I swear the God I was about to say "Mathijs is the man, fuck, he is a walking source of good info".

Thanks man for your permanent contribution... unfortunately, I feel it's too late to become a Mathijs (at least for poor JJ).

"I just would like to be like that fuckin' Keef Richards, Ronnie"

"Sring me Ronnie, tune me ROnnie"

[Edited by J.J.Flash]