ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New York Dolls play sensational comeback show in London - NME.COM Return to archive
July 18th, 2004 10:27 PM
MarthaMyDear THE KINGS OF NEW YORK!
http://www.nme.com/news/108865.htm

New York Dolls - Morrissey will be so proud

The NEW YORK DOLLS have played their first live show together since the Seventies.

The band reformed at the special request of Morrissey, who is a lifelong fan of the group. The show took place as part of the Meltdown festival on London�s South Bank.

However, the line-up that appeared at the London Royal Festival Hall (June 16) was augmented with a number of session musicians. Original guitarist Johnny Thunders and drummer Jerry Nolan died in 1991. Nolan's place was taken by Libertines star Gary Powell.

The trio that remain, David Johansen, Sylvain Sylvain and Arthur 'Killer' Kane, looked overwhelmed by the ovation they got on taking to the stage.

Running through a set of their own songs, including 'Personality Crisis', 'Jet Boy' and 'Trash', the band also played a cover of the soul standard 'Piece Of My Heart' and a version of Johnny Thunders' 'You Can't Put Your Arms Round A Memory', dedicated to their deceased bandmates. The two-song encore was greeted with a standing ovation.

At the end, the group thanked Morrissey for bringing the band over, and asked for three cheers for the curator of the festival. They explained that the UK had always been one of their favourite places because Melody Maker journalist Roy Hollingsworth had flown over to see the band before they had a deal in the UK, which gave them the opportunity to come to London for the first time.

There was one downside for the band however, a spokesperson for the venue told NME.COM that a lyric book with "huge sentimental value" belonging to the band was taken from the stage at the end of the show, which they'd like returned.

The band would like the book returned to the venue, and no further questions will be asked.

Meltdown takes place annually and started life as a classical event. Each year a prominent or influential member the music world is approached to curate, and as time has progressed the festival has become more rock orientated.

Previous directors include Lee 'Scratch' Perry, David Bowie and John Peel.

NME.COM has launched a special Morrissey site.

As well as exclusive up-to-the-minute news and reviews from the Meltdown festival - we also have an exclusive Morrissey gallery, classic Smiths reviews from the NME archive, and much, much more.

To visit the site click here.

This year's Meltdown continues with:

* An Audience With Alan Bennett (Queen Elizabeth Hall, 17)
* Ennio Marchetto (Purcell Room, 17)
* The New York Dolls (Royal Festival Hall 18)
* Ennio Marchetto (Purcell Room, 18)
* Jane Birkin / Ari Up (Royal Festival Hall, 19)
* Ennio Marchetto (Purcell Room, 19)
* Nancy Sinatra (Royal Festival Hall, 20)
* Lypsinka! The Boxed Set (Queen Elizabeth Hall, 23-24)
* An acoustic evening with Gene (Queen Elizabeth Hall, 25)
* Morrissey (Royal Festival Hall, 25-26)
* Gorecki's Symphony No. 3 (Symphony Of Sorrowful Songs) featuring Yvonne Kenny (Royal Festival Hall, 27)

For tickets contact the Meltdown festival on 08703 808 300 or click here.

Published: 17-06-2004-11-52

�Get more from the NME with a subscription and save!

*** Martha ***
July 21st, 2004 02:29 PM
FPM C10 from Little Steven's site:

Sunday, July 18, 2004
ARTHUR 'KILLER' KANE

With deep sorrow we acknowledge the passing of New York Dolls' bassist Arthur Kane. He will be sorely missed.

David Johansen released this statement on July 14, 2004:

I am in Europe doing some dates with my group the Harry Smiths and have just learned from my manager Darren Hill of the passing this morning in LA of my good friend, brother, & comrade Arthur Kane - one of the founders of our musical group the New York Dolls. Arthur apparently died of leukemia, which I was unaware he had, as was Sylvain, whom I just spoke to in London. I believe Arthur didn't know either. About 2 weeks ago he came down with what seemed to be a lingering flu for which he was under doctors' care. Last night he went to the hospital where he died. This is a time of great sadness for Sylvain and myself, and I'm sure for the many friends and fans Arthuracquired over the years, as well as his fellow church members.

Having had an abusive childhood in an alcoholic home, Arthur, one of the sweetest men with one of the most brilliant minds I have ever encountered, went through a long period of recreating his childhood family dynamic through unwise relationships with women and alcohol. Practically every trauma that could befall a person happened to Arthur, but finally 12 years ago, through spiritual studies, he was able to overcome that vicious cycle and put his life back together into what he wittily called "pre-crash conditions."

The Dolls recently performed for 2 nights at London's Meltdown Festival at the behest of our former UK Fan Club President Morrissey. During rehearsal and the shows I was blessed to work with the Arthur I first met and loved 30 years ago. The reunion was a source of great happiness for him, and the dynamic between Sylvain, Arthur, and myself was brimming with unimaginable love.

It's good to know that he went out on a high point in his musical life, but he will be sorely missed. His bass playing and presence were the heart & soul of the NY Dolls and the secret ingredient of our sound. Every word uttered by him a guileless gem of wit, wisdom, humor, and a glimpse into a realm of perception few people ever experience.

Arthur's' love of humanity was boundless, and his life's work was to bring joy to people through music and his many unsung tireless charitable gifts he gave so freely to so many. Sylvain and I have lost a one in a million friend and the memory of the joy of making music with him is something we will cherish for the rest of our lives.

David Johansen
from somewhere in Europe
July 21st, 2004 02:33 PM
Joey Thanks FPM C10
July 21st, 2004 02:43 PM
MarthaMyDear You're welcome... And, thanks...
LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nevermind... lol.......
LOL!!!!!!! Just being wierd!!! lol.. PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***