ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: England's Newest Hit Makers revisited Return to archive
July 15th, 2004 03:01 AM
stones-addict I gave 'England's Newest Hit Makers' a spin for the first time in ages today... Holy crap! The boys had so much raw energy on this disc, it blew me away! I love the bass line in 'I'm King Bee'

Just thought I'd post this as a reminder to all: Have a look in your collection. Pull out all the albums that have collected dust since the last time you listened to them, and rediscover them.

I felt like I was hearing a new Stones album today. Given the screw job they're about to release, I think we could all use something fresh... At least something that's fresh to us?

PEACE!
[Edited by stones-addict]
July 15th, 2004 12:37 PM
Bloozehound Great album, great era, I consider the first few albums to be the Stones "cover band" days, but what a sweet cover band they were. Energy aplentiful, and can be found in oodles on these early albums, just listen to their take of "I just wanna make love to you" - it jams hard.

IMO NOW! is the true masterpiece
July 15th, 2004 12:55 PM
stones-addict
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
IMO NOW! is the true masterpiece

They were all masterpieces back then...
July 15th, 2004 01:13 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
stones-addict wrote:

They were all masterpieces back then...

excellent point
July 15th, 2004 01:20 PM
Nasty Habits The Rolling Stones were/are the greatest cover band of all time. It's why I always look forward to them doing covers in sets. I have never understood why people wish they would do their own songs instead of covers. Stones doing other peoples' songs is just one things Stones can and should do.

Anyway, England's Newest Hitmakers completely kills - to me it is one of the five greatest "first albums" in rock and roll, ever. Love their version of "Walking the Dog".

July 15th, 2004 02:08 PM
Bloozehound That's very true Nasty. The Stone's immense talent, understanding and appreciation of music has always been noticable in their musicianship, but I've always thought it's extremely evident due to their ability to cover other artists songs in such a way as to make those songs "thiers" or at least better than the original version.

Very few artists (IMO) were/are able to do this as often and with such consistancy as they did in their early days, plus it never wore off as evidenced with Love in Vein off LIB or Imagination off SG, even Harlem Shuffle. They're brilliant cover artists, cause their brilliant musicians. I even liked the live "Love Train" on FF.

England's Newest Hit Makers is indeed a great debut album by anyone's standards

July 15th, 2004 05:39 PM
Lil Brian Are there no bootleg titles from either of the 1964 North American tours? Somebody please prove me wrong!

06/05/64 ~ San Bernardino, CA
06/06/64 ~ San Antonio, TX
06/07/64 ~ San Antonio, TX
06/12/64 ~ Minneapolis, MN
06/13/64 ~ Omaha, NB
06/14/64 ~ Detroit, MI
06/17/64 ~ Pittsburgh, PA
06/19/64 ~ Harrisburg, PA
06/20/64 ~ NYC, NY

10/24/64 ~ NYC, NY
10/26/64 ~ Sacramento, CA
10/28/64 ~ Santa Monica, CA
10/29/64 ~ Santa Monica, CA
10/31/64 ~ San Bernardino, CA
11/01/64 ~ Long Beach, CA
11/03/64 ~ Cleveland, OH
11/04/64 ~ Providence, RI
11/11/64 ~ Milwaukee, WI
11/12/64 ~ Fort Wayne, IN
11/13/64 ~ Dayton, OH
11/14/64 ~ Louisville, KT
11/15/64 ~ Chicago, IL

July 15th, 2004 05:50 PM
Bob Tamp A really great album. Always loved it. I have heard Jagger really likes it, but Richards thought it was unfinished at the time. Regardless, it hold up well 40 years later.
July 15th, 2004 06:05 PM
Gazza >Are there no bootleg titles from either of the 1964 North American tours? Somebody please prove me wrong!

For some reason that I've never been able to fathom, there are NO North American Stones shows prior to 1969 in circulation, apart from the 28.7.66 Honolulu concert - and even THAT is taken from a broadcast source. For audience recordings for the Stones US tours from 1964-66 - zilch.

yet for some reason there are several shows from Europe and Australia from the 1964-67 era, some of which are taken from radio broadcasts yet some are audience recordings (albeit, generally in awful quality)
July 15th, 2004 11:14 PM
BILL PERKS I LISTEN TO NOW AND OUT OF OUR HEADS ALL THE TIME,1ST ALBUM IS GOOD BUT I HATE NOT FADE AWAY
MY FAV PRE SATISFACTION SONGS
WHAT A SHAME
DOWN THE ROAD APIECE
TELL ME
ITS ALL OVER NOW
KING BEE
HEART OF STONE
I WANNA BE YOUR MAN
STONED
ROUTE 66
July 15th, 2004 11:35 PM
Zack I'm a 12x5 man myself. I think half of Now! is great but as a whole not quite as consistent as its predecessor.
July 16th, 2004 05:27 AM
Gazza The first album is great (although over here we consider the UK release as the "first" album, not "Englands Newest Hitmakers" (awful title!))
July 16th, 2004 07:16 AM
Honky Tonk Man I don't even own ENH. I picked up the original (and only!) cd release of their debut UK album in a second hand record shop in France.

Having Not Fade Away as the opener instead of Routee 66 is awful. What a great intro to an album that is! Of course, there is also no Mona.

Part of the beauty andat the time UNIQNESS about their UK debut, was that it was a just a picture of the band on the sleeve. No bloody big letters.

Also, didn't the original US version have a sticker advertising a free poster on it?

Alex

July 16th, 2004 07:22 AM
JaggaRichards 'Little By Little' is a great song!!
Wish they'd do it live!
July 16th, 2004 09:24 AM
exilestones@netscape Great collection of song make for a great album!
July 16th, 2004 10:53 AM
F505 I know that album simply as 'The Rolling Stones'. Still one of my favourites. The purists consider the first three albums as the best albums they've ever made.
July 16th, 2004 06:23 PM
Stray Cat UK The US versions were ''bastardised''
July 17th, 2004 10:56 AM
Egbert It bothers me that Abkco didn't remaster and make available the first two UK albums. A lot of what Abkco does (or doesn't do) bothers me.
July 19th, 2004 06:25 PM
Lil Brian It just reminds me of the sweat and heat inside the club as everybody's pressed together, grooving out to the Stones rhythm section, guitars, harmonica...

Hey, Crawdaddy!!!

July 19th, 2004 07:10 PM
Lil Brian I'd love to see the 1st LP, with extra tracks, and some of the Chess Sessions, all remastered (if that's possible) and on one disc. Are you out there Mickboy?

What made RCA and Chess Studios seemingly more attractive for recording shortly thereafter? Is it always Andrew Oldham producing?