ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Townshend vs. Moore (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
July 17th, 2004 09:30 AM
Monkey Woman "Thank you, for your sweet and bitter fruits." Yep. And don't forget Aussie wine!
July 17th, 2004 09:33 AM
Monkey Woman And there are some cool American comics too.

http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/index.html
July 18th, 2004 08:40 AM
glencar MW, do you actually get to watch FOX News or are you just relying on Michael Moore's depiction of it?
July 19th, 2004 01:39 PM
Jumping Jack Ray Bradbury loves Michael Moore too!

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38776

"Michael Moore is a screwed a--hole, that is what I think about that case," Bradbury said according to an English translation of the story. "He stole my title and changed the numbers without ever asking me for permission."

Continued the author: "[Moore] is a horrible human being � horrible human!"

Here is the entire article:

Ray Bradbury rips
Michael Moore
'Fahrenheit 451' author says filmmaker stole his title for Bush-bash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: June 3, 2004
5:30 p.m. Eastern

� 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

Author Ray Bradbury has ripped into filmmaker Michael Moore for using the title "Fahrenheit 9/11" for his new Bush-bashing movie, an obvious takeoff on the 84-year-old's science-fiction classic "Fahrenheit 451."

Judging by an interview with the author conducted by the Swedish daily Dagens Nyheter, Bradbury is steamed.

SPONSORED LINKS
The New York Times - as Low as $2.90
Get world-class reporting and coverage you can't find anywhere else of local, national and world news for as little as $2.90 a week with The New York Times. Get started now.
www.nytimes.com/sb-subscription

Free Trial Issue: Stocks & Commodities Magazine
Stay informed with market news, information, resources, and expert advice from one of the top traders' magazines. Receive your first year's subscription for the low introductory rate of $49.95.
www.traders.com

"Michael Moore is a screwed a--hole, that is what I think about that case," Bradbury said according to an English translation of the story. "He stole my title and changed the numbers without ever asking me for permission."

Continued the author: "[Moore] is a horrible human being � horrible human!"

Michael Moore and wife Kathleen Glynn (photo: Oscar.com)

When asked if he agrees with Moore's political positions, Bradbury replied, "That has nothing to do with it. He copied my title; that is what happened. That has nothing to do with my political opinions."

According to the Swedish daily, Bradbury said he had tried to discuss the issue with Moore several months ago, but that the director avoided him.

"I called his publisher. They promised he would call me the same afternoon, but he didn't," Bradbury is quoted as saying.

Ray Bradbury

The author also claimed Moore ruined Wesley Clark's chances of being president with a "kiss of death." When the filmmaker charged President Bush with reneging on his military service, Bradbury explained, the former general should have distanced himself.

"He slandered the president to General Clark, and Clark allowed him to do it," Bradbury said. "Clark should have said: 'Don't say that. It is not true.' That day Clark lost his chance to become president."

Bradbury dismissed any chance of the title being changed at this point:

"Who cares? Nobody will see his movie. It is almost dead already. Never mind, nobody cares."

Moore's film won the Palme d'Or award at the Cannes Film Festival last month and is scheduled to hit theaters on June 25.

Of the Cannes award, Bradbury told the paper: "I have won prizes in different places and they are mostly meaningless. The people there hate us, which is why they gave him the d'Or. It's a meaningless prize."

According to the report, Bradbury refused to say if he would take legal action against Moore.

July 19th, 2004 02:16 PM
jb For
July 19th, 2004 02:26 PM
Joey

Michael Moore may very well indeed be a friend of
July 19th, 2004 02:31 PM
Jumping Jack One of the great writers of our generation and his best description of Michael Moore is that he is an asshole, friend of Isreal or not.
July 19th, 2004 02:54 PM
Joey " One of the great writers of our generation ............. "

Thanks for the compliment Jumping Jack

I would like to clutch you to my bosom and tickle you with my erect nipples
July 19th, 2004 02:57 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:
" One of the great writers of our generation ............. "

Thanks for the compliment Jumping Jack

I would like to clutch you to my bosom and tickle you with my erect nipples

July 19th, 2004 03:20 PM
Jumping Jack You make me salivate like a Pavlov dog!!!
July 20th, 2004 09:15 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
glencar wrote:
MW, do you actually get to watch FOX News or are you just relying on Michael Moore's depiction of it?

LOL! I didn't go see Moore's film, I'm not a big fan of political movies.

In truth, I have been reading and watching and listening for now several years to a wide array of American voices about what happens in their own country. I daily browse several American based websites on varied subjects: movies, music, general information and news, humor...

I've also, in the course of the recent years, read non-fiction books, novels and articles by American writers (ranging from David Quanmen to Lois McMaster Bujold) and seen lots of American films (from indie to hollywoodian epics). That's because I like a lot of things in what the USA brings to the human community, especially in the cultural area.

I try not to rely on what just one person thinks, or sees as the truth. And I generally don't see eye to eye with the way my own compatriots view the USA! It's often caricatural and oversimplistic, and above all seen from a European cultural background that is very different in its assumptions and priorities.

You could maybe say, in broad terms, that I'm a liberal, so I tend to be disgusted by what the Bush administration is doing and saying, not only in their own country but in those issues that are a concern to the rest of the world. Once again, I'm not happy with everything the Democrats say and do, but on the whole, I have more sympathy for the Democrats who have been in charge in the USA since F. D. Rooseveldt than for what the Republicans did in the same era.
Well, that's only my opinion, and you don't have to agree with it! Like Voltaire (I think) said: "I'll defend to the death your right to not agree with me."

I tend to speak out when the not-only-American issues are discussed, like environment, the Middle-East crisis, relationships between Europe and the USA or the Iraq war, and of course when Europe, or my own country, is attacked. I don't like falsehoods or one-sided arguments either and I admit I tend to get involved in a thread (sometimes too quick or unwisely) when I feel something false or unjust is said unchallenged. But really the November election is not my main concern. That's 'cause I'm not living there! So I'm not going to tell you to vote for Kerry or Bush or anyone. The president of the USA should be elected by the citizens of the USA for the good of the USA, not to agree with the notions of what other countries think is good for them.

Sorry for the long answer, I thought it was important to go on the record on these hot and touchy questions. I have several friends in America and other parts of the world, and though we may not always agree on political issues, the important thing is that we can get along and share a common love of the Stones.

On the issue of Fox News, since I brought that subject to the table, here is one very interesting review, from a great movies fan website, that touches on the more general problem of "corporate driven media", which is not of course restricted to America:

http://www.chud.com/reviews/outfoxed.php3
July 20th, 2004 11:21 AM
Jumping Jack For Fans of Fox News and O'Reilly the following should be enlightening and entertaining:

"The Price of Freedom
By: Bill O'Reilly for BillOReilly.com
Thursday, Jul 15, 2004

A recent poll taken in Canada says that 40% of Canadian teenagers believe the United States is an "evil" country. Among French-Canadian teens, the number rises to 64%. This, of course, is hard to believe, and must be laid right on the doorstep of the often viciously anti-American Canadian press as well as irresponsible educators supposedly teaching Canadian kids about the world.
And all over the world, America is getting slaughtered in the arena of public opinion. Therefore, what can we expect from children? When government funded press agencies like the BBC and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation portray America as the world's chief villain, there's little anyone can do to balance the picture. The Fox News Channel, for example, isn't even allowed in Canada.

So for the benefit of the Canadian kids, and, indeed, children all over the world, I am going to set the record straight right here in this column.

Let's start with an undeniable fact: The United States of America has set more people free than any other country in the history of mankind. We all know about World War II, but here's what's happened recently:

In Eastern Europe, the policies of Ronald Reagan led to the freeing of at least 122 million people from Soviet domination.

More than 48 million South Koreans remain free because of American protection.

Nearly 23 million Taiwanese remain free because of American protection.

The state of Israel and five and a half million Jews would be crushed by its enemies if not for American aid.

By removing the brutal regimes in Iraq and Afghanistan, America and Britain have given almost 50 million people at least a shot at some kind of self-determination. Also, the American-driven campaign against the butcher Milosovic in the Balkans saved the lives of hundreds of thousands of people, most of them Muslims.

America is sending $3 billion a year to Africa to combat the AIDS epidemic. By comparison Canada is sending $270 million, France a paltry $60 million.
And those countries have the nerve to portray America as a villain? How many human beings has France freed over the past 60 years? The same question can be asked of Canada. Yes, those nations have helped the USA on occasion, but they are drifting away from reality now.
It's not only Canadians and the French who are misguided about the USA; there's also a fifth column in America itself. The "anarchists" are hoping to disrupt the Republican convention in New York City. Police believe they will use violent means to do so.

And the verbal violence on display daily by partisan fanatics is growing more despicable by the moment. Michael Moore and his acolytes hide behind the "dissent" label, but they are not dissenters, they're destroyers. Moore has been quoted as saying capitalism is "diabolical," even as he trucks his millions to the bank. By the way, did you know that associates of Hezbollah want to help distribute Moore's movie in the Middle East? What does that tell you?

The truth is that America is a great country striving to protect itself in an ungrateful and dangerous world. We, the people, have sacrificed blood and money so others could have a chance in life. Yet many teenagers in Canada are convinced we are an evil nation. The powers-that-be in Canada should be ashamed that their young people are so ignorant but I know they are not. Ignorance, you see, is most often a contagious disease."

July 20th, 2004 11:26 AM
Snappy McJack I hate to get into this, but I'd think Fox is more "fair and balanced" than any other news channel when it comes to getting the actual words out of the mouths of people on both sides of political issues. Not necessarily from all of the anchors, but from the people they interview.

On the other hand, turn to CNN or MSNBC and you'll see Wolf Blitzer and Chris Matthews only talking to a democrat. That's real "hard ball", isn't it? That's why I can't watch these news channels -- ALL of them are full of it.

July 20th, 2004 01:59 PM
Monkey Woman Funny, JJ, because this rant is further proof IMO that O'Reilly is full of it. There's so much spin in this article that if it was made of copper wire you could use it for electricity.
July 20th, 2004 02:42 PM
Jumping Jack I thought you might be amused, LOL!
July 20th, 2004 05:05 PM
Monkey Woman Oh, but I was!
July 20th, 2004 08:15 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
I hate to get into this, but I'd think Fox is more "fair and balanced" than any other news channel when it comes to getting the actual words out of the mouths of people on both sides of political issues. Not necessarily from all of the anchors, but from the people they interview.

NBC/CBS/ABC have produced nearly identical newscasts at 6:30 PM every weeknight for the last forty years. That should tell you something.
July 21st, 2004 05:47 AM
Jumping Jack Same thing for 40 years tells me it is time for Andy Rooney to retire to Florida.
Page: 1 2 3