ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 1st rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Track 12 Laugh, I Nearly Died Return to archive
July 27th, 2005 10:02 PM
exile Track 12. Laugh, I Nearly Died

This is an interesting title

Usually an explanation for how funny something is.
Or some old British comedy routine, anyway i have heard it before. "Laugh?....I nearly Died!"
Does anyone know the origin? Is is from an old TV series?

It will be interesting to hear what this song is about
wheather it is a funny song, country? Also what is so funny that to write a song on... how much you laughed.

Man Im pumped for this album now
Looking forward immensely to its release.

July 27th, 2005 10:10 PM
corgi37 Could be a Keith song. He is very fond of those old style English comedians.

HIs "Glad to be hear, glad to be anywhere" line is stolen from some old comic he likes. Max somebody or other.
July 27th, 2005 10:27 PM
stonedinaustralia max miller

July 28th, 2005 02:42 AM
Poplar totally sounds like the keith rocker.. but:

"the album includes two Keith Richards-sung tunes; This Place Is Empty and Infamy."
[Edited by Poplar]
July 28th, 2005 02:52 AM
exile Didnt I read that keith only sings on 2 ballads? not a rocker?
July 28th, 2005 04:24 AM
Gazza yeah, its an old English comedy line

Anyone remember "Jump" by Peter Cook and Dudley Moore on one of their "Derek & Clive" albums. Contains the great line "Laugh? We Nearly Shat!"

Now THAT would have made a great song title!
July 28th, 2005 05:33 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Derek and Clive are fucking great.

The best scetch is when they were talking about having a wank and they were talking about St Peter and how he gives them the horn.
They write a letter to the church about how much St Peter gives them the horn and when they dont reply they come up with the one liner of

"How rude, no wonder nobody goes to fucking church any more!"
July 28th, 2005 05:38 AM
Gazza now here's a Stones link :

do you remember a sketch Pete and Dud did on "derek and clive live" called "this bloke came up to me" ?

theres a Stones tape from rotterdam '75 featuring about 6 hours of Black and Blue rehearsals. At the very start of it, you can hear Jagger reciting a few of the lines from it ("dont you fucking 'hello' me, mate...so I kicked him RIGHT in the balls, " etc)

Not a lot of people know that!

[Edited by Gazza]
July 28th, 2005 05:50 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Didnt know that mate, but that is a fucking classic scetch.

I saw this bloke the other day

You never...You fucking never saw this bloke!
July 28th, 2005 06:59 AM
Flairville Gazza, I haven't laughed so much since Grandma died or Aunty Mabel caught her left tit in the mangle!

It's bizarre how much we all have in common. Miserable sinners!
July 28th, 2005 07:04 AM
Voodoo Scrounge There are Russian spies situated around the room disguised as wallpaper pointing guns at my head forcing me to finger my genitalia!
July 28th, 2005 07:15 AM
Gazza
quote:
Flairville wrote:
Gazza, I haven't laughed so much since Grandma died or Aunty Mabel caught her left tit in the mangle!

It's bizarre how much we all have in common. Miserable sinners!

"Filthy f**ers! Arrrrssseee-hhhoollees" "

yep, thats the one!
July 28th, 2005 07:24 AM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
There are Russian spies situated around the room disguised as wallpaper pointing guns at my head forcing me to finger my genitalia!

I think you should have put that post in "quotation marks" or some folks wil think you're serious!

I have to admit that after listening to those albums back in the late 70's, I've never been able to think of Jayne Mansfield without picturing Peter Cook's "the worst job I ever had" rant where he claims he was employed to "pick lobsters out of her arsehole"
July 28th, 2005 07:47 AM
Gazza essential listening :

1. Endangered Species
2. Horse Racing
3. T.V.
4. Bruce Forsyth
5. Records
6. Soul Time
7. Russia
8. Sir
9. Celebrity Suicide
10. Politics
11. Labels
12. Street Music
13. Sex Manual
14. Horn
15. Mona
16. Critics
17. Intergalactic Sex
18. Rape, Death & Paralysis
19. Lady Vera Fart Teller
20. I Can't Shit

1. You Stupid Cunt
2. Coughin Contest
3. Cancer
4. Non-Stop Dancer/My Mum Song
5. Joan Crawford
6. Norman The Carpet
7. How's Your Mother
8. Back Of The Cab
9. Alfie Noakes
10. Nurse
11. In The Cubicles
12. Ross Mc Pharter
13. Hello Colin
14. Having A Wank
15. I Saw This Bloke
16. Parking Offence
17. Members Only
18. Valarie's Hymen
19. Mother
20. Young Dudley Moore Performs "Jump"

a[art from "the horn" (not surprisingly!) you can actually listen to samples on amazon.com!

[Edited by Gazza]
July 28th, 2005 07:56 AM
exile
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I've never been able to think of Jayne Mansfield without picturing Peter Cook's "the worst job I ever had" rant where he claims he was employed to "pick lobsters out of her arsehole"

I knew i had heard 'Laugh I nearly Died from somewhere!!
Derek and Clive

Fucking classic

I also havent thought the same about Jane Mansfield since Gazza
July 28th, 2005 12:25 PM
FPM C10 I REALLY have to hear this stuff. Being American we thought Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In was "edgy".

Hey, here's the track listing for the new Stones album!

1. Endangered Species
2. Horse Racing
3. T.V.
4. Bruce Forsyth
5. Records
6. Soul Time
7. Russia
8. Sir
9. Celebrity Suicide
10. Politics
11. Labels
12. Street Music
13. Sex Manual
14. Horn
15. Mona
16. Critics
17. Intergalactic Sex
18. Rape, Death & Paralysis
19. Lady Vera Fart Teller
20. I Can't Shit

(Jesus, some of those would work! "I Can't Shit" is rumored to be another Keith ballad...)
July 28th, 2005 12:52 PM
JaggerLips This is getting ridiculous, we are clutching at straws as to what each songs is going to be like, purely based on the song title.
July 28th, 2005 01:56 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. I don't know if anyone's noticed but that's Peter Cook in my signature.

Anyone seen "Derek and Clive Get the Horn?" It's a film of the recording session for Ad Nauseum. "Soul Time," the most horrifically funny song ever recorded.

It's a shame that, here in the States, most people think of Dudley Moore as the star of crappy '80's comedies, and virtually no one has heard of Peter Cook.
July 28th, 2005 03:40 PM
Gazza
quote:
Steamboat Bill, Jr. wrote:
I don't know if anyone's noticed but that's Peter Cook in my signature.

we sure did. Great taste, my man. Or should I say, "you cahhnt"
July 28th, 2005 03:52 PM
scratched
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
20. I Can't Shit

(Jesus, some of those would work! "I Can't Shit" is rumored to be another Keith ballad...)

If I remember rightly, 'I Can't Shit' IS a ballad (sung by Dudley Moore).

Oops, no its not, I just checked.
[Edited by scratched]
July 28th, 2005 03:54 PM
FPM C10
quote:

It's a shame that, here in the States, most people think of Dudley Moore as the star of crappy '80's comedies, and virtually no one has heard of Peter Cook.

I'm trying to figure out how I know about them. I knew who they were BEFORE I saw "Bedazzled", but can't remember how. I know that WAY before "Arthur" I knew that Peter Cook was the REALLY funny one of the duo.

Were they frequent talk show guests or something?

I HAVE to get some of the stuff from this thread.

July 28th, 2005 04:01 PM
Gazza
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I REALLY have to hear this stuff. Being American we thought Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In was "edgy".

I have the 3 classically 'offensive' ones, the above two plus "Derek and Clive Live"..if you want copies of them, let me know...

(Track listing :
1. The Worst Job I Ever Had 2. This Bloke Came Up To Me
3. The Worst Job He Ever Had 4. Squatter and the Ant
5. In The Lav 6. Little Flo 7. Just One Of Those Songs
8. Winkie Wanky Woo 9. Bo Duddley 10. Blind 11. Top Rank
12. Cancer 13. Jump )

Warning : abandon all political correctness when listening....!
July 28th, 2005 04:05 PM
Joey " I REALLY have to hear this stuff. Being American we thought Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In was "edgy". "

You bet your sweet ' Bippy ' .

July 28th, 2005 04:23 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr.
quote:
FPM wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how I know about them. I knew who they were BEFORE I saw "Bedazzled", but can't remember how. I know that WAY before "Arthur" I knew that Peter Cook was the REALLY funny one of the duo.

Were they frequent talk show guests or something?

I HAVE to get some of the stuff from this thread.

You're a Python fan, right FPM? The Pythons have frequently cited and Cook and Moore's pioneering work with Beyond the Fringe (along with Alan Bennett and Jonathan Miller) as a major influence. So if you've read about Python you probably came across them.

After Beyond the Fringe, Cook and Moore had their own TV show Not Only...But Also... (which had some amazing guest stars, including John Lennon), also an influence on the Pythons. Sadly, many episodes were "swiped" (I think that's the term, meaning that the videotape on which the shows were recorded were re-used) and those episodes that do survive are incomplete.

(You might've also seen them guest host Saturday Night Live in 1976. They had a pretty good cult following going on in the States during the mid-'70's thanks to the "Derek and Clive" albums and their two-man stage show Good Evening.)

Unfortunately for us Yanks, the best Cook and Moore stuff is only available in Britain. You can get two "Derek and Clive" albums here (Ad Nauseum and Come Again), but you've gotta import Derek and Clive (Live).

There is an excellent three-disc compilation of Beyond the Fringe:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000006SW2/qid=1122581351/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-0930153-1010325
It contains the entire May 16(?), 1961 performance in London on two discs, as well as various sketches from the Broadway shows on the third disc (with Paxton Whitehead replacing Miller).

As far as DVD's are concerned, the only DVD available here is the rather uninspired 1978 film The Hound of the Baskervilles, their last collaboration together and not their best. Many jokes fall flat, but it's impossible for Peter Cook to not be funny. And you've got a great cast of British comedians; Max Wall, Terry-Thomas, Roy Kinnear, Prunella Scales, Denholm Elliott, Hugh Griffith, Kenneth Williams, and a "fleeting appearance by Spike Milligan."

The cream of the crop DVD-wise is in Britain. If you've got a region-free DVD player like me, you're lucky, if not you're sol. There's "The Best of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore" (available here on VHS as "The Best of...What's Left of...Not Only...But Also..."), a decent collection of sketches from their TV show (one would prefer the surviving episodes, but the BBC are idiots). "The Very Best of Goodbye Again" contains sketches from their forgotten four-episode 1968 TV show Goodbye Again (essentially the same thing as Not Only...But Also..., but not quite as good). Then there's Derek and Clive Get the Horn, a film of the sessions for Ad Nauseum.

Cook and Moore also released several albums on vinyl that have yet to make it to CD (except in disappointing "greatest hits" compilations). There were three albums with sketches from Not Only...But Also... (which contain some sketches that were swiped, making these albums quite valuable documents) along with albums from their two-man stage shows in the '70's; Behind the Fridge in the UK and Australia and Good Evening in the US (I've a copy of Good Evening but it's still in the shrink wrap and I'm keeping it that way, still on the lookout for a used a copy).
[Edited by Steamboat Bill, Jr.]
July 28th, 2005 04:31 PM
FPM C10 You are a veritable font of knowledge, Steamy. But none of that clicked. Somehow, growing up in the 60s with access to 2 TV channels, I knew who they were. I know seeing Bedazzled made a big impact, but I knew who they were before that. Would that have been early 70s?

Maybe I saw them on the the David Frost show. I remember seeing the Stones do their new single "Honky Tonk Women" on there in 1969.

Gazza, I think I will take you up on your offer. Just the titles of the CDs have been making me laugh all afternoon.
July 28th, 2005 04:37 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. Perhaps you heard something about Beyond the Fringe in school maybe? The show did run successfully from 1963-64 on Broadway, and an album was subsequently released in 1965. Bedazzled came out in 1967, so they would've been fairly well known in the States from their Beyond the Fringe days. That's really impressive, though, that you knew who they were back in the '60's.

I suppose maybe John Lennon could've mentioned them in interviews, cause I know he and a lot of other British musicians were big fans.

Peter Cook also ran a satirical magazine called Private Eye. I don't know if it was sold in the US.
July 28th, 2005 06:21 PM
exile
quote:
Anyone seen "Derek and Clive Get the Horn?" It's a film of the recording session for Ad Nauseum.

YES!! I have seen it. Not for many years but yes.

Dudley Moore was a piss drinking, shagging legend in real life too. Not so far removed from some of his characters from 80's movies.

Its such a shame Peter Cook was bloody brilliant. never reached mainstream success like Dudley Moore.

Both extremely funny men

If your burning copies of those albums gazza could I get a copy?
July 28th, 2005 08:01 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. For anyone that's interested, check out this site:

http://www.stabbers.org/

It's the Peter Cook Appreciation Society. Click on discography and you can download a bunch of tracks from Peter Cook's various albums, many of which have never been released on CD. I don't know much about downloading mp3's, but I would imagine you could burn them on to a CD-R?

Exile, I can help you out with the Derek and Clive albums. Gimme about a week or so.

[email protected]
(I'm gonna be out of town for the weekend, so if I don't answer your e-mail that's why).
[Edited by Steamboat Bill, Jr.]
July 28th, 2005 08:52 PM
Gazza feel free to mail me, exile and I'll send cdrs on to ya

July 28th, 2005 10:13 PM
exile Thank you both for your kind offers

That's definitely it! ....I remember now in one sketch Dudley more exclaiming "Laugh....I nearly Died!!!"

glad that mystery has been solved.

I think both the Jagger Brother have a pretty good sense of humour....Funnily enough I went to go see Chris Jagger in Sydney maybe 6 or seven months ago The show was not great however...

Half way through I bought one of Chris Jaggers Cd's and went up to meet him (as you do) and get my CD signed. He asked my name and I said "Mark" and he asked "Its not Mark Anthony is it?" and I said "Well actually it is!" which is true. Chris then went on to tell me I should check out a old British Comedian whose name escapes me and went on to tell me about a skit where the comedian recites something about Cleopatra and Mark Anthony but in bee bop "Jazz" language.

or maybe it was a speech by Cesar, anyway it was concerning the historical figure of Mark Anthony and recited in Bebop language. He started reciting lines from the skit itself.

he told me to download it from the internet somewhere then signed my CD. I said I would do that and thanked him.

I had a few beers and totally forgot the comedians name, however from what I've seen of Mick in more candid moments You can see that he has a very good sense of humour. It does not surprise me that he would be a fan of old British comedies like Derek and Clive.

anyway just thought Id share that.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)