ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 1st rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How good is Mick playing guitar Return to archive
July 27th, 2005 02:55 PM
Jair No laughs, please
Is possible compare Mick performance to any other guitarist?
Who?
Names, please:
July 27th, 2005 02:58 PM
gimmekeef Not sure its fair to compare..and he basically just strums rythm chords...but I give him credit for even doin that!...
July 27th, 2005 03:01 PM
ListenToTheLion Nowadays Mick plays better than Ronnie!
July 27th, 2005 03:19 PM
luxury1 Keith says he has a nice touch on acoustic, but to keep the electric guitar away from him......
July 27th, 2005 03:19 PM
jb Much better than Ronnie and as good as keith's.
July 27th, 2005 03:36 PM
winter
LTL and JB,

I went to eight shows last tour, and based upon the shows that I saw (Fleet, CMGI, Orpheum, Giants Stadium, Hartford, MSG (HBO), Fleet again and Astoria), I seriously don't know how anyone can possibly think that Keith is playing better than Ronnie lately.

As much as it kills me to say it, Keith barely plays anymore.

If I had to rate performances last tour, I'd go in the following order:

1. Mick - freak of nature, still rocks at 60+; voice stronger than ever
2. Charlie - what more do I need to say
3. Ronnie - very good at times, not so good at other times
4. Blondie [just kidding]
5. Keith - Please play the frickin' guitar this tour, it's more than a stage accessory!

Cheers,

July 27th, 2005 05:53 PM
patioaintdry "Is possible compare Mick performance to any other guitarist?"

John Oates
July 27th, 2005 06:03 PM
JaggerLips Screw the guitar!
MICK'S HARMONICA IS WHERE IT'S AT!

NOBODY CAN PLAY THAT BETTER THAN HE CAN!
July 27th, 2005 06:09 PM
Child of the Moon I think Mick actually kept more rhythm than Keith did on the last tour.
July 27th, 2005 07:04 PM
gotdablouse He's become an excellent rythm player over the years, probably as good as it gets, open tuning et all !
July 27th, 2005 07:51 PM
Soldatti Mick's very good on acoustic but in electric he plays so-so.
July 27th, 2005 09:21 PM
T&A oh C'mon! He strums a few chords. I strum a few chords. We all strum a few chords. next question....
July 27th, 2005 09:36 PM
telecaster
quote:
T&A wrote:
oh C'mon! He strums a few chords. I strum a few chords. We all strum a few chords. next question....

Did you play rhythm on "Sway" like Mick?

Yes? No?
July 27th, 2005 10:03 PM
T&A he does. i do. you do. we all do. next question. and that's MT on the primary guitar parts on Sway....
[Edited by T&A]
July 27th, 2005 11:52 PM
Zack
quote:
T&A wrote:
he does. i do. you do. we all do. next question.

T&A, I tend to agree with you, but wasn't it you telling me that's Jagger doing a good (MHO) Keith impression on Highwire? That's more than just a little strumming there.

BTW, check the lyrics page over there --------> for the players on Highwire. What's your source?

(Remember the guy who argued for days that Mick played guitar on Highway Child? That was a hoot.)
July 28th, 2005 12:16 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I think the general consensus on the 2002-2003 Keith and Ronnie playing/not playing/being dicks debate wound up being that it depended on what night you saw them. They were both... inconsistent. Ronnie was more "on" at the beginning of the tour, Keith at the end.

Mick, on the other hand, doesn't really matter a terribly large amount. When he plays guitar these days, he's one of four guitars onstage, so he's really just background noise.

How good is he? I'm about as good as Mick is. (I play the bass and piano.) That's not a "hurr, Mick is bad" or "hurr, I is good" comment, that's my honest opinion. I can play rhythm and a very simple thumping lead if called upon. But for me, the primary purpose of the guitar is as a songwriting instrument. I sit around and play with chords or licks for awhile, and it's obvious that Mick does the same thing - listen to some of the demo tapes from, say, the Emotional Rescue sessions, where Mick calls out chord changes. He knows what's going on, he's got a good ear for the songs (or at least he had a good ear for the songs), but he himself isn't that accomplished a player.

Which is fine. He doesn't need to be. He has Keith Richards and Ron Wood in his band. When they do their jobs as well as he does his, why bother?
July 28th, 2005 12:45 AM
rickonly jif you watch the B2B video release on saint of me the acoustic note sounds before mick stums it...
July 28th, 2005 12:56 AM
T&A
quote:
Zack wrote:

T&A, I tend to agree with you, but wasn't it you telling me that's Jagger doing a good (MHO) Keith impression on Highwire? That's more than just a little strumming there.

BTW, check the lyrics page over there --------> for the players on Highwire. What's your source?

(Remember the guy who argued for days that Mick played guitar on Highway Child? That was a hoot.)

Actually, it's not that impressive of a riff on Highwire - but it is MJ playing. There are countless references to this fact - Keith has acknowledged being absent during the recording.
July 28th, 2005 02:44 AM
Poplar
hell - he wrote the Brown Sugar lick, he can't be that bad.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)