ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 1st rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why I Love Bridges To Babylon (vital reading) Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 26th, 2005 09:15 AM
Honky Tonk Man With the new album out soon, maybe this isn’t the most appropriate time to dwell on their recent studio efforts. After all, the past is the past, no matter if it was only 8 years ago. In the context of bands releasing albums, generally, eight years is quite a gap, but with a studio-shy band like the Stones, maybe it isn’t.

Anyway, I’ve been revisiting Bridges To Babylon recently and something has gripped my attention. This is a REALLY strong collection of songs. The record has its weaker moments. I’m not TOO keen on Already Over Me or Always Suffering and I must admit to finding Might As Well Get Juiced almost unlistenble, but boy does this album have some standouts. I’m not going to over analyse particular tracks, but one thing that really stands out to me about songs such as Anybody Seen My Baby, Out Of Control and Saint Of Me is how refreshing they sound. I know part of this is perhaps due to the influence of The Dust Brothers, but after eight years, I’m still amazed at how great and DIFFERENT sounding these songs are. They sound so vibrant and they obviously full of ideas. It’s almost as if they were pushing boundaries again.

What’s more, the rockers on display are utterly fantastic too. Flip The Switch oozes urgency and the playing is creative. I really hope Keith comes out with some great riffs on the new one. Too Tight is also very good.

Keith also supplies us with one hell of a ballad in How Can I stop.

Come on, are the boys really going to top Bridges To Babylon? I know I’m perhaps being g a little premature in my judgement, but on the face of it, Rough Justice wouldn’t cut it on Bridges. It’s an okay song and I think many like it because it’s back to basics and it has some nice slide, but this isn’t really what I want from the Stones. A couple on the album, maybe, I’d like to hear the Stones being experimental again. I expect a lot were surprised when they first heard Anybody Seen My Baby, but surprises are not a bad thing. It may not of worked live, but it’s a fantastic song and a true testament to the fact that maybe Mick Jagger's fingers are a little more on the pulse then sometimes you’d imagine they were. Oh, and I don’t know about anyone else here, but I happen to think that Saint Of Me and Out Of Control should be hailed as true classics, especially the latter song when played live. I wish I’d seen the band at Wembley Stadium in ’99 to catch them playing it in the flesh.

Anyway, that’s my view. I love Bridges To Babylon at the moment and all I ask is to be surprised. Come on Mick and Keith, challenge my ears. Show me and all of us here that you can still be truly creative and inspiring in the studio.

Alex
July 26th, 2005 09:25 AM
Gazza loved this album on first listen (unlike a lot of Stones albums that eventually grew on me more) and I still do.

I think its an incredibly underrated record.

Shortly after it came out, I was asked to leave the bus on which I was travelling on to work one morning because I refused to turn down my walkman which was blasting "Flip the switch" at full volume and annoying the driver and other passengers.

Fucking infidels
[Edited by Gazza]
July 26th, 2005 09:26 AM
trevcourt Flip the Switch and Too Tight are excellent, though over produced, and Keith is Keith, though he needs a "Keith rocker" here. The rest is crappy. Opinion stated.
July 26th, 2005 09:44 AM
Moonisup Great album, better then VL, SW, DW
July 26th, 2005 09:49 AM
Gazza anyone who went to the 1997-99 shows will vouch for the fact that "out of control" was one of the highlights of the show night after night ("saint of me" too, to a lesser extent).

proof positive that when they want to, the latter day Stones can still pull out a new song that when played in concert can be as much a showstopper as their early work.

That blinder of a version from Buenos Aires on "No Security" only enforces that fact
July 26th, 2005 09:53 AM
Lazy Bones It amazes me that Too Tight has yet to see the stage.
July 26th, 2005 09:54 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
With the new album out soon, maybe this isn’t the most appropriate time to dwell on their recent studio efforts. After all, the past is the past, no matter if it was only 8 years ago. In the context of bands releasing albums, generally, eight years is quite a gap, but with a studio-shy band like the Stones, maybe it isn’t.

Anyway, I’ve been revisiting Bridges To Babylon recently and something has gripped my attention. This is a REALLY strong collection of songs. The record has its weaker moments. I’m not TOO keen on Already Over Me or Always Suffering and I must admit to finding Might As Well Get Juiced almost unlistenble, but boy does this album have some standouts. I’m not going to over analyse particular tracks, but one thing that really stands out to me about songs such as Anybody Seen My Baby, Out Of Control and Saint Of Me is how refreshing they sound. I know part of this is perhaps due to the influence of The Dust Brothers, but after eight years, I’m still amazed at how great and DIFFERENT sounding these songs are. They sound so vibrant and they obviously full of ideas. It’s almost as if they were pushing boundaries again.

What’s more, the rockers on display are utterly fantastic too. Flip The Switch oozes urgency and the playing is creative. I really hope Keith comes out with some great riffs on the new one. Too Tight is also very good.

Keith also supplies us with one hell of a ballad in How Can I stop.

Come on, are the boys really going to top Bridges To Babylon? I know I’m perhaps being g a little premature in my judgement, but on the face of it, Rough Justice wouldn’t cut it on Bridges. It’s an okay song and I think many like it because it’s back to basics and it has some nice slide, but this isn’t really what I want from the Stones. A couple on the album, maybe, I’d like to hear the Stones being experimental again. I expect a lot were surprised when they first heard Anybody Seen My Baby, but surprises are not a bad thing. It may not of worked live, but it’s a fantastic song and a true testament to the fact that maybe Mick Jagger's fingers are a little more on the pulse then sometimes you’d imagine they were. Oh, and I don’t know about anyone else here, but I happen to think that Saint Of Me and Out Of Control should be hailed as true classics, especially the latter song when played live. I wish I’d seen the band at Wembley Stadium in ’99 to catch them playing it in the flesh.

Anyway, that’s my view. I love Bridges To Babylon at the moment and all I ask is to be surprised. Come on Mick and Keith, challenge my ears. Show me and all of us here that you can still be truly creative and inspiring in the studio.

Alex

Great post alex
agree with you, I like this album too depsite the critics
July 26th, 2005 10:01 AM
Honky Tonk Man How things change! This is my review of Bridges To Babylon from Keno's site. I was only 17 though. I wised up!

BRIDGES TO BABYLON
By Alex Short
November 29, 2000
Rating: 6 out 10

This album doesn't have the edge of Voodoo Lounge but that isn't saying much. The album has several nice touches in the form of some of the better songs, but god are some of the songs bad. The worst being Keiths vocal effort on the closing track 'How Can I Stop'. Yes please do stop Keith. The highs on this album include the opening rocker 'Flip The Switch' which shows that although the Stones have gradually gotten worse over the past twenty years they're still capable of producing great opening tracks on their albums. 'Anybody Seen My Baby' isn't too bad and neither is 'Gunface' or 'Low Down'. The latter actually been a pretty good song. Then come some bad ones. I cant even remember the names of some of them. 'Saint Of Me' is a pretty good song but not great, but 'Too Tight' is. This proves the band have still got it, though only in patches. I think the days of then doing truly great albums with few bad songs are over. All I think about at the moment however is when the Stones are going to cut a new album. Come on its been three years now boys.
July 26th, 2005 10:25 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I have always thought that Anybody Seen My Baby is one of the best Stones songs around. It is everything you expect a Stones song to be. Its experimental. Not many people would expect to hear a "rap" (although i wouldnt class it as a rap) on a Stones track. Some of the effects on the guitars are superb even though Keith doesnt play.
The bass line is haunting, which is something a Stones track has lacked since Bill left and the backing vocals are great.

A great tune
July 26th, 2005 10:27 AM
scratched
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Come on its been three years now boys.

LOL.

I too have been listening to 'Bridges' recently and have been loving it. They perhaps shouldn't have put both 'Already Over Me' and 'Always Suffering' on the same album as they are both too similar. I would choose 'Always Suffering'. 'Might As Well Get Juiced' is an embarassing attempt at an interesting idea (a techno 12-bar blues) that might have worked out with a little more taste. The rockers all have a good raunchy punch ('Low Down', 'Gunface', 'Too Tight') and I don't think the shiny modern sheen takes anything away from this - in fact I think it makes them sound fresh even eight years on. 'Anyboby Seen My Baby' is probably the best 'McStones' single they've released and 'You Don't Have To Mean It' may be their most successful attempt at reggae. 'Thief In The Night' is OK and acts as a nice segue into 'How Can I Stop' which I think is beautiful.

I hope the new album is as good as Bridges To Babylon.
[Edited by scratched]
July 26th, 2005 10:40 AM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
I have always thought that Anybody Seen My Baby is one of the best Stones songs around. It is everything you expect a Stones song to be. Its experimental. Not many people would expect to hear a "rap" (although i wouldnt class it as a rap) on a Stones track. Some of the effects on the guitars are superb even though Keith doesnt play.
The bass line is haunting, which is something a Stones track has lacked since Bill left and the backing vocals are great.

A great tune

Whilst there are better songs on the album, the guitar part by Waddy Wachtel at the end is the most gorgeous thing on any Stones record in the last couple of decades
July 26th, 2005 10:41 AM
gimmekeef I have always wondered why if they gave credit to KD Laing for Anybody Seen My Baby..the same wasnt done for the blantant rip off of Papa Was A Rollin Stone (Out of Control)....decent album non the less and Saint of Me very underrated but here again...Keith didnt even play on it!
July 26th, 2005 11:31 AM
Phog The only song from Bridges that I never liked is "Always Suffering". The rest of it is pretty good. The Stones' best since Tattoo You, IMO.
July 26th, 2005 11:31 AM
mmdog
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
I have always thought that Anybody Seen My Baby is one of the best Stones songs around. It is everything you expect a Stones song to be. Its experimental. Not many people would expect to hear a "rap" (although i wouldnt class it as a rap) on a Stones track. Some of the effects on the guitars are superb even though Keith doesnt play.

A great tune

Richards plays on Anybody Seen My Baby. I think Gunface and Might As Well Get Juiced are severly unnderrated.
July 26th, 2005 11:34 AM
gimmekeef Saw them play Might As Well Get Juiced live at MSG..It was pretty good actually....
July 26th, 2005 12:02 PM
wgwalsh BTB is a fine piece of work. So fine, in fact, that the Dust Brothers ruin what they did touch. KR was right on the money about those blokes, as he always is.

LOW DOWN and TOO TIGHT are the sleepers here.

As good as ANYBODY SEEN MY BABY ? is, editing out the Dust Brothers of course, the band should have released SAINT OF ME as the first single. It is the masterpiece from the studio album.

OUT OF CONTROL was still developing until it hit the concert stage. It kinda reminds one of how MIDNIGHT RAMBLER evolved.

Keith's YOU DON'T HAVE TOO MEAN IT is the best work he has ever done. Great reggae island music mixed with plenty of rum. Subsequent tour brass adds a very interesting dimension to a track that is clearly still maturing...like the fine spirits that gave birth to this piece.
July 26th, 2005 12:20 PM
FPM C10
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Saw them play Might As Well Get Juiced live at MSG..It was pretty good actually....

Yes it was. Keith and Woody BOTH played slide on it, and Mick played that wonky old synthesizer. It was great hearing the ONLY live performance of a Stones song EVER. And Mick and Keith laughed and hugged at the end of it. Too cool.

IMO this is a great song that went over people's heads. I think it's a tip of the hat to the stuff Fat Possum was doing with R.L. Burnsides.
July 26th, 2005 12:40 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I have always wondered why if they gave credit to KD Laing for Anybody Seen My Baby..the same wasnt done for the blantant rip off of Papa Was A Rollin Stone (Out of Control)....decent album non the less and Saint of Me very underrated but here again...Keith didnt even play on it!

theres also a few bars of "riders on the storm" quite audible on "Out of control" as well!
July 26th, 2005 01:31 PM
JaggerLips Just have to say that Bridges to Babylon is probably the most under appreciated Rolling Stones album.

I think it's been slated too many times because it sounds so different from Voodoo Lounge and all that's gone before.

For me it sounds fresh and new even to this day in 2005.

Roll on A Bigger Bang, just hope it's not slated even before it's released!

YOU'LL NEVER MAKE A SAINT OF ME!
July 26th, 2005 03:23 PM
ListenToTheLion mediocre, an album that won't last for long. Highlights: saint of me (the studio version; live it's dreadful), already over me, might as well get juiced.
July 26th, 2005 03:27 PM
FPM C10
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
Highlights: saint of me (the studio version; live it's dreadful)

Boy, I have to disagree with that. I thought it was great every time I heard it live. Good for audience participation too.

Cool video too - which never got shown anywhere.
July 26th, 2005 03:29 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

theres also a few bars of "riders on the storm" quite audible on "Out of control" as well!

Yes Gazza..you're right...there is definitely riders on the storm too...never caught that part myself...
July 26th, 2005 04:18 PM
Poplar
ASMB was AWFUL. that "rap" moment always made me ill.

rest of it is pretty good, with the axception of "suffering," which is forgetable.

July 26th, 2005 04:34 PM
mmdog
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Boy, I have to disagree with that. I thought it was great every time I heard it live. Good for audience participation too.

Cool video too - which never got shown anywhere.

Saint of Me was shown a decent amount on MTV. It was a cool video. I seemed like a tribute to Beggars Banquet. The scenes in the bathroom, the guy walking on water. The shot of Keith with the apples in the banquet hall.
July 26th, 2005 04:35 PM
ListenToTheLion welcome to the kennel!
July 26th, 2005 04:43 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I have always wondered why if they gave credit to KD Laing for Anybody Seen My Baby..the same wasnt done for the blantant rip off of Papa Was A Rollin Stone (Out of Control)....decent album non the less and Saint of Me very underrated but here again...Keith didnt even play on it!

I've always thought that the Papa Was a Rolling Stone thing was done with such obvious intentionality and as such an obvious tribute that it didn't need to be credited. Jagger tips the hand by actually blowing the main notes of the solo on harmonica.

I would extend the run of quality Bridges songs to Already Over Me, their best post-comeback ballad. I love the guitars on this song very much - the lead is really fractured and effed up and the dobro is quite unusual. The lyrics and the vox are good, and Charlie's drum pattern reminds me of YCAGWYW ca. '72. A really good ballad with some actual balls (fairly out-of-it sounding song).

To me Bridges is the late period Black and Blue or Goat's Head - a real sleeper of a record that is more about overall vibe and small pearls of songwriting rather than a work of utter authoritarianism like Sticky Fingers or Tattoo or an outrageous tongue wag like Exile or Some Girls.

Good record, though. I'm a fan.
July 26th, 2005 04:47 PM
pdog I think it's a very good album.
FYI: ASMB does not have rap on it. Rap rhymes. What's on the song is the great Biz Markie, I think, naming various areas in and around New York. It's a call out or aka; a shout out!
It's been used in rap and hip hop, but it's origins date back to a time even before rock and roll! Miss You & Some Girls are more rap than anything on Bridges...
Jagger has been reported to rehearsing: Throw your hand in the air...
Bridges is a very good rock and roll album. Better than Steel Wheels and almost as good as Voodoo.
July 26th, 2005 04:55 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
pdog wrote:
I think it's a very good album.
FYI: ASMB does not have rap on it. Rap rhymes. What's on the song is the great Biz Markie, I think, naming various areas in and around New York. It's a call out or aka; a shout out!
It's been used in rap and hip hop, but it's origins date back to a time even before rock and roll!

NOBODY BEATS DA BIZ!

Word to the Coke of Tits!
July 26th, 2005 11:00 PM
tumbling dice
Bridges have nice sounds a very experimental one. Anybody seen... was a hit here in Brazil and it´s a very different song.Out of Control was great live,i saw them in Argentina and that song was a highlite.Saint of Me is very actual even nowadays good production,good to hear in cars and bars.
July 26th, 2005 11:19 PM
KeepRigid Really good album. I remember lying on the floor with HCIS on an endless loop for some reason...
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)