ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 1st rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New York - July 1972 Return to archive
July 25th, 2005 04:18 PM
kmc Madison Square Garden - July 24-26, 1972

The anticipation was unbelievable. Finally getting respect in the mainstream media. Live versions of songs from EXILE AND STICKY FINGERS, plus the hits. Last shows of the tour and the final night was Mick’s birthday to boot!

Wanting to get up close and personal. The Garden aisles had some security people but no barricades. In 1969, people just ran up when the warmups ended. Realizing it was never going to get better than this, opening night ‘72, the minute the lights went dim my friend and I charged toward the stage. Made it right to the front - cool thing was the stage back then was still only about 5 feet high and there was nothing in front of it. Made it a point to get in front of Keith. What still stands out is that as the Stones closed with “Street Fighting Man” - at the end of the song the group ran off stage - Keith stood there with his eyes closed for a good half minute more just banging out the chords. All by himself. Transported.

Next night, barricades in the aisles and more security. No more rushing the stage here.

Getting busted. Stones tickets were a surefire way to get a date so being smart I took my “girlfriend” to night two and told her I was saving the last night for a buddy. Actually, I had lined up a different girl. No argument from my g-friend about this, so I thought I was in like Flint. But she was scamming me at the same time as she went with a girlfriend of hers on the last night. Didn’t tell me she had scored a ticket. Worse, she saw me at the train station going back to NJ with the other girl. (I did not see her.) Our relationship ended the next night with her screaming over the phone.

Even worse, we had taped the Tuesday night show on cassettes. Her machine, she kept the original, I made a copy on 8 tracks. The 8 track was eaten by a bad machine years later. I actually contacted her a few years ago through a mutual friend to see if she still had her tape. Miracles do not happen. Long gone.

Mick’s birthday party on stage was anti-climatic. Just a cake wheeled out. No guests. No strippers. You can read about an angry Bianca shoving a piece of cake in Mick’s face in books. Couldn’t tell that from the cheap seats. Everybody on stage including Stevie Wonder’s band throwing cake around.
Funniest thing was poor Stevie being bombarded with cake - pieces hanging on his head - and him just smiling and hopping around. He started the finale with a “Happy birthday, Mick” as both groups went into the “Uptight/Satisfaction” medley.

Exhausting 4 shows in 3 days to watch. Can’t imagine playing. Amazing no legit live album ever released from that tour. The movie LADIES AND GENTLEMEN did not do it justice.
July 25th, 2005 06:31 PM
Gazza Good to read first hand reviews of old and classic shows like this. Thanks.

Only reason for the lack of live album though was due to contractual problems with Klein over the pre-1971 songs. It wasnt that the band didnt want to.
July 25th, 2005 06:34 PM
texile yes KMC - that was great.....i love this period so much i wish i could've have frozen the stones then....
July 25th, 2005 07:09 PM
crb69 Classic Midnight Rambler that night on Mick's 29th birthday...33 years ago tomorrow...33 years...

"Went out walkin' through the wood the other day...

and the world..."
July 25th, 2005 09:03 PM
kmc Does Allen Klein or his daughter or whoever’s running ABKCO these days realize the catalogue they’re sitting on is losing value by the year. The Beatles Anthology and the Dylan Bootleg Series were great. (I know this had been stated ad nauseum on this board.)

As fresh as the ‘69 tour was, musically the Stones were at their peak in ‘72. Release the Philly tapes they recorded! Or the Australian ones.

Scary thing is I can see Mick saying NO even if Klein relented.. He has this weird thing about feigning non-interest in old recordings seeing the light of day, always focusing on whatever’s new in music. But the real Mick comes through when he pops up playing with old blues artists or even in warmups to concerts. Always comes back to the blues. Keith sort of said the same thing about the litmus test for the Stones’ music - again, don’t have the exact quote - something about it’s got to connect to Chuck Berry to make it valid.

A lot people will be looking to see evidence of that connection in the new album!
July 26th, 2005 08:51 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff dear kmc, this is for your delicious post that I 've much appreciated!
I really loved those years...
Hey Gerardo, take a look!! I'm back!!

Poor Stevie!
July 26th, 2005 09:57 AM
moy great cartoon fabio, it must be a header
July 26th, 2005 11:50 AM
kmc very cool picture!

captures the craziness!
July 26th, 2005 01:44 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I'm wetting my tighty whities LOLOLOLO your signature with "Ronnie Wood" instead of "Hot Stuff" is damaging my stomach for the heavy laugh it caused!!

Great cartoon, you really rock my friend!!
July 27th, 2005 08:36 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff thanks guys,
Rocks Off rule!
July 27th, 2005 09:20 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Fabio Hot Stuff wrote:
thanks guys,
Rocks Off rule!

Fabio is the master!!!
can' t wait to meet you ragazzo !!!!

cheers

JUltra
July 28th, 2005 02:06 PM
Fabio Hot Stuff Julienne! You 're my european PARTNER IN CRIME!!!
On the other side of the world I can have Gerardo Woodoo, and that's worth the dime....
July 28th, 2005 04:21 PM
eXiLe oN 2nD sT cool story, puts you back in time somewhat ;o)
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)