ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 1st rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Master and Margarita Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
July 25th, 2005 02:19 PM
FPM C10 I'm almost finished with Bulgakov's novel "The Master and Margarita". WOW. What a brilliant, funny book. I was halfway through it before I started reading the endnotes and discovered it was started in 1928! It is so completely modern, in language and in subject matter. Hard to believe that Bulgakov died in 1940.

I can NOT see exactly where Mick got "Sympathy For The Devil" from it, except that for the first few lines, and the mention of Pilate. But that's beside the point. I probably wouldn't have read the book without the Stones connection.

It's impossible to read the book without imagining what a GREAT movie it would make. I guess there was an Italian version a few years ago, and a Russian made-for-TV version very recently. Anybody know anything about those productions? I'd love to see a great film-maker tackle it. I guess a lot of the subversive Anti-Stalinist content that got it banned for decades would be totally lost on American audiences - but hey, there's lots of nudity in it too!

I'm here to suggest that everyone (who likes to read, and especially anyone who likes Gabriel Garcia Marquez and his "magical realism") should read this book.

Of course, I'm not QUITE finished with it, so maybe it'll crap out in the last few pages. I'll let you know tomorrow.

July 25th, 2005 02:30 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Of course, I'm not QUITE finished with it, so maybe it'll crap out in the last few pages.

******** ABRUPT END TO TRANSMISSION **********
July 25th, 2005 02:38 PM
jb Are there clowns in the story?
July 25th, 2005 02:42 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Are there clowns in the story?

I am NOT a big fan of clowns

|
|
|
|
V

July 25th, 2005 02:50 PM
telecaster
quote:
Joey wrote:

I am NOT a big fan of clowns

|
|
|
|
V

http://klownsabound.com/entertain/Clown_Week.html

National Clown Week August 1 -7th
July 25th, 2005 02:57 PM
rogerriffin OH, Yeah, really cool novel, i did read it 1 year ago and went to see in theatre, it´s very interesting...

i learn that when devil in front of you, must show you well learned politece, have some cortesy, sympathy and some taste.

July 25th, 2005 03:00 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:

http://klownsabound.com/entertain/Clown_Week.html

National Clown Week August 1 -7th

" On October 8, 1970, Public Law 91-443 under the 91st Congress, JJR 26 was passed by both the House and Senate and was sent to President Richard Nixon for his signature. Wow!! An act of congress was needed for recognition of clowns and the valuable service they provide. "

Figures .
July 25th, 2005 03:04 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

" On October 8, 1970, Public Law 91-443 under the 91st Congress, JJR 26 was passed by both the House and Senate and was sent to President Richard Nixon for his signature. Wow!! An act of congress was needed for recognition of clowns and the valuable service they provide. "

Figures .

Has anybody seen my old friend.........................ss"
July 25th, 2005 03:18 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

Has anybody seen my old friend.........................ss"

Yeah , whatever happened to that guy ?!?!?!?!

He was always Minty Fresh and MAN could he write a post ...............

.......................s.s. "
July 25th, 2005 03:20 PM
jb Pug, sadly, may have been done in by the extreme heat wave facing the mid-west. All we can do is pray that he is O.K. and heeded my advice regarding irrigation...................>
July 25th, 2005 03:21 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Pug, sadly, may have been done in by the extreme heat wave facing the mid-west. All we can do is pray that he is O.K. and heeded my advice regarding irrigation...................>

..............and Transmission .

Batter Up !

******* END TRANSMISSION *******

[Edited by Puggy ]

[Edited by Joey]
July 25th, 2005 03:25 PM
jb I just read 'Chicken Soup For the Jewish Soul"..good stuff!!!
July 25th, 2005 03:29 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
I just read 'Chicken Soup For the Jewish Soul"..good stuff!!!

How about " Tomato Sauce for the Ass " ( It is the Italian Version ) ..........?!?!

...ss "

" Oh my , He is doing ' Soprano lines ' now Ronnie ! "

Curscee Joe ! ™
July 25th, 2005 03:39 PM
FPM C10
quote:
rogerriffin wrote:
OH, Yeah, really cool novel, i did read it 1 year ago and went to see in theatre, it´s very interesting...

What can you tell me about the movie? Was it the Italian one, the Russian one, or another one? Did it follow the book? How did they show Behemoth, the cat?

I gots to know!!

July 25th, 2005 03:40 PM
jb John Roberts will further destroy this country Flea!!!!
July 25th, 2005 03:41 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
John Roberts will further destroy this country Flea!!!!

You SHALL be greeted in Omaha this fall / winter ( A Seven day trip from Boca )
July 25th, 2005 03:42 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

How did they show Behemoth, the cat?

YES !
|
|
V

July 25th, 2005 03:43 PM
jb I shall be in Asheville this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
July 25th, 2005 03:45 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
I shall be in Asheville this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I once took a massive dump in Asheville ( circa 1974 )

July 25th, 2005 03:45 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Joey wrote:

YES !
|
|
V

This weekend Miss Youngblood and I got a kitty who looks a lot like this one, except he's orange instead of white, and is not sitting in a pile of roses.

His name is "Skip".
July 25th, 2005 03:46 PM
FPM C10
quote:
jb wrote:
John Roberts will further destroy this country Flea!!!!

Who cares?
July 25th, 2005 03:51 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

This weekend Miss Youngblood and I got a kitty who looks a lot like this one, except he's orange instead of white, and is not sitting in a pile of roses.

His name is "Skip".

You are much loved by The Joey !

Kitty's offer nothing but unconditional love and tend to dig the Stones , Beatles , Who .
July 25th, 2005 09:17 PM
purrcafe
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I can NOT see exactly where Mick got "Sympathy For The Devil" from it, except that for the first few lines, and the mention of Pilate. But that's beside the point. I probably wouldn't have read the book without the Stones connection.

My take on the inspiration was that it wasn't specific to events in the novel, but the idea that Lucifer is on the scene, behind the scenes, pulling the strings, and creating the chaos in which we live. Also, what I got was that just being mere humans, we will never get things under control, because Lucifer, being more powerful and superior intellectually, will cause them to fall to pieces at his whim.

Great book.
July 25th, 2005 11:52 PM
Child of the Moon I read the book a couple of years ago, and I still like coming back to it. The black cat, yes... I love that guy!
July 25th, 2005 11:55 PM
Child of the Moon What I marvel at even more is how quickly people tried to hijack this thread.
July 26th, 2005 09:45 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
What I marvel at even more is how quickly people tried to hijack this thread.

Nonsense! Joey taking a massive dump in Asheville is ALL about The Master and Margarita!

I didn't QUITE finish it last night, but damn I love this book. And the cat, Behemoth, is one of the greatest comic characters ever! When he turns into human form I picture him as Peter Lorre.

I've got to find out more about the Russian TV production. Wonder if it's available with subtitles?

There was a rumor that it was being made into a movie starring (who else?) Johnny Depp, but that turned out to be wrong.

I wish it could be made into a movie here in the west - but it seems like a lot of it would not translate to a modern American audience's sensibilities. It needs to be done with a huge budget by a great director. I have a theme song in mind already!
July 26th, 2005 07:42 PM
rogerriffin
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

What can you tell me about the movie? Was it the Italian one, the Russian one, or another one? Did it follow the book? How did they show Behemoth, the cat?

I gots to know!!

Here in Mèxico i get the book in spanish language and read fully, and then in Art National Center (Centro Nacional de las Artes) the performance was very short not cover all the history in book, but very good work of act, Voland, Ivan Ivanovich, Margarita, el Maestro, Pilatos, el Gato, etc

July 26th, 2005 07:49 PM
rogerriffin here cover in spanish version:

this is that i did read
http://www.gandhi.com.mx/Gandhi/Libros/productDetail.cfm?prodId=217190
July 27th, 2005 12:33 AM
Child of the Moon
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
And the cat, Behemoth, is one of the greatest comic characters ever! When he turns into human form I picture him as Peter Lorre.

Yes! That's excellent! I could totally see him as Peter Lorre. When I read it, any time he'd be in cat form, I thought of him like one of those giant, Buddha-bellied cats, although I'm trying to place origin of that image (I'm so friggin' tired). The fact that Behemoth guzzled vodka like nobody's business only made him even more amazing.

I'm suddenly getting flashes of that bizarre circus-like scene in the theater where the devil, Behemoth, and their buddies take over that show that's going on and chop off that guy's head. And everybody in the theater just loves it. I need to dig that book out again.
July 27th, 2005 06:23 AM
caro If I didn't already love the Stones for a few other things, I'd love them for causing me to read that novel.
Re the inspiration for Sympathy : I'm not too sure either, but I'd say it has something to do with the reversibility of good and bad in the book, the fact that chaos isn't something that leads to misery and death...

The thing I especially love about this book is the fact that it was written over years, almost until Bulgakov's death, and it went through plenty of changes. In the edition I have, there's a few excerpts from early versions of the novel, which show how it went from a basic political satire to a real, vibrant story. The characters were a bit clicheesque in the beginning, and they grew more versatile as years passed by... Basically, the book took so long to write that it soaked up all the things that happened to Bulgakov during his life. I find it kind of moving (and reassuring) that such a cool novel wasn't written in a sudden inspiration, but took years of writing, and thinking, and rewriting, and growing old.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)