ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

ArenA, Amsterdam 31st July
© Rick Nederstigt with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: More Van Halen News.... Return to archive
28th July 2006 07:06 PM
RollingstonesUSA Alan Sculley of The Californian recently conducted an interview with Sammy Hagar. A few excerpts the chat follow:

On the VAN HALEN reunion tour of 2004:

"It wasn't a great experience. Onstage, the fans made it a wonderful experience by being so receptive and so overwhelming. They made us all just look at each other and go 'Oh my God, this is the greatest thing in the world.' So it took the edge off. But the second we went and left the stage or certainly building up to going onstage, I couldn't even go (near guitarist Eddie Van Halen).

"I don't know when you're going to see the whole band again. That baby is put away until somebody gets himself together. There's a person who's really not user-friendly right now."

On bringing an entire village to venues on his current tour, featuring Mexican food, drinks (margaritas being a favorite beverage), volleyball and more:

"It's kind of like a dream come true. Really the word tequila isn't even the important thing. That's just the fuel. It's really a Cabo Wabo festival. It's about what happens in Cabo. It's about the lifestyle, the food, the music, the ambience of that."

On his new solo CD, "Livin' It Up":

"It's purely a lifestyle record. It is really the closest to exactly where Sammy Hagar is today in his life. It's still a Sammy Hagar record, it's just totally aimed at my fans. There's no anger on it because I'm in a whole different space in my head and in my life today. The only thing that's missing is, if you took a hardcore old MONTROSE fan or something, they're going to go 'I don't hear the anger. He's not dissing about anything.' "

On his previous statement that no VAN HALEN reunion will happen unless he sees some fundamental changes in Eddie Van Halen's behavior and disposition:

"I couldn't even go (near Eddie). They had to keep us so separated. We were going to fist fight. I've got my beliefs, and not to ego trip about how it should be done, but I believe you care about what you're doing enough to go out there and play the damn songs right. And I mean, night after night that never happened. There were times where Alex, his brother, would be looking at me and I'd say what song is he playing? I don't know. It just wasn't fair, number one, to the players and everyone else, to come out in the condition that he was in 99 percent of the shows. Some shows were brilliant. There were times when even under the conditions, he still pulled it off, but not enough for me. And when you're charging that kind of money, I'm sorry, there were times when I was embarrassed."

On the Eddie Van Halen of the 2004 tour:

"I've never seen such a personality change in any person I've ever known in my life. The guy used to be the sweetest, humblest guy and the most considerate musician. This guy, when he put on a guitar, even if he had been drinking in the past, he still was always in condition to really know the song and know what he was doing. He just wasn't like that (on the last tour). I don't know what happened."

"VAN HALEN is now, I look at it, and I hope (people) don't take this as a rude statement, but it's my side band. I care about my band so much right now and I think we're so great and this show. ... It's the best show I've ever put together, song for song, plus dollar for dollar, it is just the s---. I wouldn't give this up for nothing, especially for some half-ass version of VAN HALEN. If we can do the whole-ass version, man I will be there, and I will be there with flying colors."

Read the entire interview at www.nctimes.com.
29th July 2006 05:07 AM
UGot2Rollme Yeah, "rehab is for quitters," but I hope Eddie gets his act together. Maybe Ronnie could help him out.
29th July 2006 08:04 AM
crb69 I saw them on that tour and I have to agree with Sammy. The show was good at the Meadowlands but certain songs were a let down on Eddie's part. Particularly Humans Being. I was so psyched to hear them break into that song and then let down to see Eddie stumble in the middle of the solo. That's when I knew something was wrong. Then soon after I realized, "This guy is sobering up as the show goes on." Eddie was clearly under the influence. Now I for one never had a problem with a musician being a little buzzed to take the edge off but when it affects your playing, that's not fair to the band or the fans; especially at $90 a ticket. Sober up Eddie, you're fooling yourself if you think you can pull it off. It's not fair to the legacy of VH to burn out this way. It's a border line disgrace. For once I have to agree with Sammy.
29th July 2006 06:27 PM
deuce I don't know how I feel about Van Halen. I mean, they sound okay to me, but I just can't get into them. I can't rock to them, and I have no idea why
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)