ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Question about today's header Return to archive
07-26-03 07:23 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I remember one day in the late 70s I lent a bootleg vinyl record to a friend, the 2-discs set named "The Rolling Stones on Tour" with the full Alameda Colisseum, Oakland July 26, 1978 show.

The cover of this bootleg has the picture used for today's header (taken in the 1975 party in the airplane), then a friend in the office laughed about the cover and told me "what the fuck are these queers doing?" and showed me the lower-right corner of the photo... "look at this... seems that they are having a great party haha"

Today's I still wondering what the fuck is that

Well, now I dare to ask you... what the fuck is that and what are they doing?
07-26-03 07:31 AM
Monkey Woman A cigar?
07-26-03 09:16 AM
LadyJane Looks like a knife.

LadyJ.
07-26-03 09:18 AM
nankerphelge Yeah it is a knife!

Didn't realize a cake knife was so.....cutting edge!!

Oh man, stop it, it's too early....
07-26-03 09:19 AM
stonedinaustralia i see three hands

one has a cigarette of some type

another has a switch blade knife

and yet another appears to be resting it's fingers on a mound of some material (hard to tell - more defintion please - in fact, have that mound tested for DNA)

the head belongs to ronnie and you get the impression the two hands to the foregorund are his - whose is that third that holds the smoke???

it looks like mick is blowing out the candles and ronnie's going to cut the cake after he's sprinkled some "icing sugar" on the top which he has carefully chopped up with said knife...

what do you think voodoo?? does that sound like a reasonable explanation to you??
07-26-03 09:19 AM
parmeda LadyJ's correct...looks like a knife to me too.
07-26-03 12:17 PM
littleredrooster 'The Mound' appears to be an artifact from the camera's flash.
It looks like a reflection!

Rooster
07-26-03 01:12 PM
gypsy Isn't this cool? All of us RO people ANALyzing the header photo...
07-26-03 04:39 PM
luxury1 Hey--its a good fucking thing I gave Mick a new hat--christ!
ANd yes, we always analyze the header shots--that's what we do here at RO--get all caught up in the "frivolity of it all." What, did you think we were lawyers, Drs, engineers or serious businesspeople, or something??
07-26-03 04:59 PM
Nasty Habits It's definitely some sort of cake cutting utensile, perhaps a dessert knife that can also be used to scoop the cake off the plate. What is far more fascinating to me is how "mid 70s Dylan" Mick looks in this picture, which has to be almost all the hat's fault.

I think that mound is some sort of pastry or roll or something. Definitely a starch consumable of some sort.

Stoned, I think that that mound of crystalized choppings on the cake is actually some sort of coherent shape, but I can't make out what it is.

But what I am really wondering about is what that coffee mug says and what it could possibly "mean".

And how does this photo fit the Beggars Banquet conceptual continuity?

07-26-03 05:05 PM
sirmoonie Why are there only 10 candles on that goddam cake? That is so fucked up.

07-26-03 05:05 PM
Soul Survivor It looks like the mug says "Charlie"
07-26-03 05:11 PM
sirmoonie Why would the mug purport to allegedly say "Charlie" if its Mick's birthday? Sometimes, I think your neck is truncated Soulie.
07-26-03 05:15 PM
steel driving hammer I can see clearly now the rain...LOL!
07-26-03 05:18 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Why would the mug purport to allegedly say "Charlie" if its Mick's birthday? Sometimes, I think your neck is truncated Soulie.

lol, i dont know it just looks like it
07-26-03 05:24 PM
sirmoonie Does the person holding the cigarette on the right side have a nipple hard-on? Thats weird, given that its Mick's birthday.

I'm thinking that knife may be one of those butane dealies that you can light fireworks and gas grills with. You know what I'm talking about.
07-26-03 05:36 PM
gypsy ...or rather to heat up some crack cocaine...but I'm just guessing.
the mug clearly reads 'charlie.'
the erect nipple has really got me miffed
07-26-03 05:44 PM
sirmoonie Hey Voodoo, can you zoom in on that miffed nipple? We'll sort this mystery out one way or the other.
07-26-03 06:09 PM
gypsy The dark hands-with the ring on the right hand-holding the cigarette remind me of Anita's hands...cuz she kind of had big man hands.
Yeah, the miffed nipple is upsetting...but not as upsetting as the Maxy/dog-mounting photo...
07-26-03 06:35 PM
Kjell Two hands cuting up a round piece of bread with a stilletto knife. The third mysterious hand with the zig seems to be holding:
a cigarr as well to burn nearest dick off, that you can see in his scared face expression. Or:
Holding some smokin pot gear just helping out because you can cut bread properly and have a smoke at the same time, the pot tasted like fuck, that you can see in his scared face expression.
By the way i got that bootleg i thought it was from Anaheim Stadium July 24 1978 and i could never guess the pic was from inside a plane.
Cheers
07-26-03 06:44 PM
sirmoonie I thought about that, but then figured that couldn't be Anita's right breast. I think she was more endowed. It must be some other woman with man-hands holding a cigarette's breast.
07-26-03 06:51 PM
stonedinaustralia soulie , i think you are correct - the coffee mug says "charlie"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
07-26-03 09:33 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
soulie , i think you are correct - the coffee mug says "charlie"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]

SEE TOLD YOU
07-27-03 11:08 AM
Jen D
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Stoned, I think that that mound of crystalized choppings on the cake is actually some sort of coherent shape, but I can't make out what it is.

looks to me like a stick person walking or dancing.
07-27-03 11:58 AM
Madafaka Hum... That is not the correct way to take a knife...
A weird pic!