ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŃOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick and The Today Show Return to archive
07-25-03 08:43 AM
scope All morning, they kept talking about an upcoming segment on Mick and his upcoming 60th birthday. Unfortunately I had to leave for work before it came on. So, did anyone see it?

07-25-03 09:01 AM
telecaster You didn't miss anything, footage from the tour.

No new interviews. They replayed about 10 seconds of
an old interview from last fall

07-25-03 09:02 AM
daydreamer Caught part of it. It was basically a rebroadcast of the interview they did with Mick&Keith at the start of the Licks tour. They mentioned Prague&Toronto as celebrations& had a journalist(don't know his name)talking about Mick. Very positive piece.
07-25-03 10:13 AM
steel driving hammer Rolling Stone Jagger About to Turn 60
Fri Jul 25, 6:53 AM ET

By Paul Majendie

LONDON - Mick Jagger turns 60 this weekend and plans to celebrate with 60,000 admirers.

Reuters Photo

The Rolling Stones singer, who once sang "What a drag it is getting old," is in no rush to reach for his pipe and slippers.

On his birthday Saturday, Jagger will be flying from Hamburg to Prague, the latest stop on the band's European tour.

"He is having a private party with the band and friends in Prague," said a spokesman for the wrinkly rocker with the pouting lips and swiveling hips.

Then Sunday, he will be springing up on stage to entertain 60,000 people at Prague National Stadium on their "40 Licks" tour that wraps up in mid-September in London.

Like former Beatle Paul McCartney, now 61, Jagger revels in touring the world's rock stadiums. Performing live is still the ultimate buzz for the two Swinging Sixties icons.

Two years ago, when Jagger became the front page spread in Saga, a magazine for the over-50s, British tabloids had a field day mocking the personification of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.

"Sittin' Jack Flash, the pipe 'n' slippers pin-up," said a mocking Daily Mail.

But the evergreen rocker, one of Britain's richest entertainers with a personal wealth estimated by newspapers at $300 million, has had the last laugh.

Devoted Sixties fans have stayed loyal. Jagger's swagger and unique voice still fill stadiums with middle-aged devotees high on nostalgia.

Tabloids revel in tales of Jagger's philandering and his apparent determination to grow old disgracefully.

"They want you to be like you were in 1969," Jagger once said. "They want you to because otherwise their youth goes with you. It's very selfish but it is understandable."

Indeed several British rockers are busy proving that age is no barrier to celebrity.

Ozzy Osbourne, 54, is arguably better known now thanks to his MTV reality show than he ever was as Black Sabbath's lead singer and Tom Jones (news), 63, still has adoring female fans throwing their knickers on the stage.

Jagger, however, has found on this tour that underwear adulation cuts both ways.

When the Rolling Stones appeared in Munich, men's underpants were hurled from the crowd. "I don't know what that says," a clearly amused Jagger said. "They left all the girls at home or whatever, I don't know."

07-25-03 01:14 PM
Factory Girl Prague is an Amazing city.

Ozzy is brain dead, and so is that skanky family.
07-25-03 01:41 PM
sirmoonie Mick Jagger!
07-25-03 02:49 PM
Factory Girl sirmoonie, why don't ya put up a pic of the victim chick??

next match in Vegas--- Tyson vs. Kobe
07-25-03 07:27 PM
SeerSuckersuit Text of the Today Show

Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones performs at the Stade de France, in Saint Denis, outside Paris.
Still a Rolling Stone at 60 Rock-and-roll legend Mick Jagger to celebrate birthday bash in Prague

THE TODAY SHOW July 25 — As the front man for the Rolling Stones for the last 40 years, Mick Jagger and the boys continue to pack houses and play their unique style of rock and roll all over the world. “Today” host Matt Lauer takes a look at Sir Mick, who’s showing no signs whatsoever of slowing down, on the eve of his big day.

JAGGER IS one of the world’s biggest superstars and a force to be reckoned with at any age.
Born Michael Philip Jagger on July 26, 1943, he grew up in a middle class family in Dartford, England.
Described as shy and intelligent, Mick fell in love with music while a student at the London School of Economics.
In 1962, he and boyhood friend Keith Richards formed a little band called the Rolling Stones.
“I think from the start Mick Jagger brought a certain decadence and a certain elegance to rock and roll,” said David Wild of Rolling Stone magazine. “Sort of a combo platter of the two that people can’t get enough of.”
In 1965, the Stones took America by storm with lyrics by Mick and a legendary riff by guitarist Keith Richards — their song “Satisfaction” became an anthem to millions.

With a combination of blues and rock coupled with Mick’s legendary swagger and defiant attitude, the Stones sent a message to America’s youth during the ’60s and ’70s.
“I think the Stones were a social force, not just a musical force and I think what there were selling was a form of rebellion a form of abandon a form of freedom,” said Wild.
Mick and the Stones lived life on the edge. They made headlines on and off the stage, solidifying the band’s reputation as the bad boys of rock and roll.
“The phrase everybody thinks of is ‘Sex, drugs and rock-and-roll,’” said Wild. “Mick Jagger really had the sex and rock-and-roll covered; within the band he had other people to focus on the drug part, but he really was sort of the defining sexual force in rock and roll.”
You can’t always get what you want, but Mick tries. Married and divorced to, first, Bianca Jagger, and then model Jerry Hall, he’s the father of seven, by four different women.
Now a grandfather, Jagger shows no signs of slowing down. He says trips to the gym, and performing keep him fit.
Last year Matt Lauer talked to Mick and Keith as they kicked off their latest tour.
Matt Lauer: “How does it feel the morning after a concert — do you wake up feeling like you were in a car accident?”

Mick Jagger: “Sometimes I do, I’ve got to tell you. You just got to try and do each show. It can be pretty debilitating but you usually find you get out there and the audience gives it back to you.”
Lauer: “How will you guys know when it’s time not to do this any more?”
Keith Richards: “We know when the hearse drives up!”
Saturday night Mick will celebrate his 60th birthday with a gift to his fans — strutting his stuff live in Prague.
Says Rolling Stone’s Wild: “If you could spend Mick Jagger’s birthday night going to Prague and seeing him you would have experienced not only rock-and-roll history, you would have experienced the living, breathing, power of rock-and-roll and what could be better than that?”
07-25-03 08:02 PM
gypsy FG, it's neighbors like the Osbournes that are forcing me to move. You'd think with their money, they'd buy a house on some land with no neighbors...but, maybe there's something in their MTV contract that they can't move.

I wanna know what the alleged victim looks like. Apparently, she had two suicide attempts this year...before the alleged incident. I'm not saying that she's a nutcase and is lying. Hell, maybe Kobe sensed that she was not all there, thus making her vulnerable. Who knows. We'll see, I guess.
07-26-03 02:16 PM
Factory Girl My dear gypsy. The victim is as stable as any 19 year old chickie (i.e. not very much). Kobe has fooled around before...he's a rich young dude (24 years old)...goes without saying.

MTV will now do a special "Rough Boink Play Gone Bad"...lol.
Will Snoop Shit Doggy star in that one???
07-26-03 02:34 PM
gypsy Kobe's wife is very young too...I heard he married her when she 'got pregnant.' How romantic.

Last night, I was flipping around channels, and CNBC had a segment on Mick's birthday...it was pretty good...yeah, it was old footage...but I enjoy ANY footage and media coverage our boys get! The newsman even said "It's sure good to see Keith Richards finally getting his due." I don't know what he was talking about, as I only caught the end of the segment.