ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Gimme Shelter" Rolling Stones Tribute: Friday, July 25 through Sunday, July 27 - also on-line Return to archive
07-25-03 08:33 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Stones tribute slated for Margarita Maggie's
BY STEVE HEISLER CORRESPONDENT

SARASOTA -- Disparate elements of the Sarasota music scene will gather this Sunday at a downtown nightclub to celebrate their shared heritage: the songs and influence of The Rolling Stones.

From the punky rockabilly stylings of The Downshifters to the goth rock ambience of Bald Daisy and the folk-heavy rock and blues of Connie Dillon, each group will play -- through its own stylistic prism -- tunes made famous by The Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band Ever.

The 17 artists slated for Margarita Maggie's -- which will be equipped with balcony seating and free valet parking for the event -- are part of a traveling three-day WMNF (88.5 FM) fund-raiser and commemoration of Mick Jagger's 60th birthday, "Gimme Shelter: A Rolling Stones Tribute."

"We fancy ourselves as modern-day 'Glimmer Twins,' (a nickname for Jagger guitarist Keith Richards)" Downshifters lead singer Paxton said. "We really wanted to do some obscure Stones stuff."

The hard rock-a-billy outfit regularly performs non-traditional takes on "Sympathy For The Devil" and "Red Rooster," the Willie Dixon original the Stones made their own. The band will choose between those and a few others.

"We're going to go from the old blues covers, 'It's All Over Now' to a punk rockabilly version of 'Paint It Black' and a bluesy 'Spider to a Fly,'" he said.

While The Downshifters also will perform Saturday night as part of The Rolling Stones tribute at Tampa's Skipper's Smokehouse, Sarasota's Connie Dillon will be partaking of her first WMNF benefit.

Drummer Dwight Keeton's more-than-passing resemblance to Jagger might allow him to succeed in a look-alike contest that will also be part of the proceedings.

Keeton's familiarity from playing "Wild Horses" for the past 12 years will help as Dillon and Band tackle it. She said the band will take some chances from there.

Performing "As Tears Go By" -- the Jagger-Richards composition made famous by Marianne Faithful -- is one of them.

"With the first song, I'm really trying to reach into the heart of the song and get emotion," she said. "When The Stones recorded it, it was just with a 12-string guitar and a string section -- we're going to mimic it and do it our own way. I have this wonderful violin player in my band, Richard Leps. It's just a beautiful song and the violin does get to shine."

While Dillon will round out her time on stage with a version of "Brown Sugar," rock- and jam-intensive Large Mammal will stick to two lengthier Stones cuts. An always-unpredictable version of "Sympathy For The Devil" and what leader Steve Guthrie terms a dynamic, "Nirvana/'Teen Spirit' version of 'Heartbreaker'" will round out Mammal's set list.

For "Sympathy," members of Bald Daisy and Radio-Free Carmela will join in to jam.

"'Sympathy' is one of those … if I'm out and about and seeing another band play, it's the song they'll get me up to play," Guthrie said. "We've done it a few times and it's never been the same way twice."

The most distinctive sound at Maggie's, however, may come from solo a cappella artist Kat Whitestar. Whitestar sought out tunes with strong melodies so they could stand alone. She wound up with "Wild Horses" and hoped to pre-record her own background vocals for another.

It was a departure from her world-beat repertoire, but she said it was a challenge.

"I found these little jewels of songs that translated well," she said. "Part of the focus of this benefit is to make these songs your own and change up the style a little bit. I'm probably pushing the edge a little bit as far as being an a cappella performer and not having a rock band to back me."

Of course, pushing the edge is what The Stones have been doing for decades -- and paying homage to their efforts is something that Connie Dillon is eager to try.

"We just try to be unexpected and unconventional," she said. "It's only 20 minutes (on stage) of fame and you're only supposed to get 15. We're looking forward to it."

Last modified: July 25. 2003 12:00AM
07-25-03 08:42 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Friday Jul-25-2003: The State Theater St. Petersburg, FL

Saturday Jul-26-2003: Skipper's Smokehouse Tampa, FL

Sunday Jul-27-2003: Margarita Maggie's Sarasota, FL

In all cases $12 in advance, $15 door
07-25-03 08:44 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl More:

Te get tickets and more information about the events: http://wmnf.org/events/index.shtml

To listen on-line (Real Player, Winamp and 365 Radio) : http://wmnf.org/programming/listen.shtml
07-25-03 12:43 PM
gomper ¿No tienen fechas en México?
07-26-03 07:30 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl no