ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jane's Addiction---Strays Return to archive
07-23-03 11:51 AM
Sir Stonesalot Jane's released a new record yesterday, called "Strays". I love Jane's Addiction, so I made a point of getting it straight away. Boy am I glad I did. I'm on my 5th listen in 24 hours.

The thing I like most about it is...it still sounds like Jane's Addiction. After all the various and sundry projects that the various members have been doing since Ritual De La Habitual, it's good to hear that classic Jane's sound again.

Perry Farrel has a strange, high pitched, slightly off center voice that for whatever reason, I find appealing. And you can always count on Perry for a few good sound bites. My fave from this album so far is, "Hey man, can't be everybody's friend". How true. My all time fave Perryism is...."Some people SHOULD die, that's just unconscious knowledge."

Dave Navarro's style may not have fit in well with the Red Hot Chili Peppers...but he's PERFECT for Jane's Addiction. Dave may not have a lot of funk in him...but he sure does ROCK. And he sleeps with Carmen Electra. Atta boy Dave!

The rythmn section of Stephen Perkins and Chris Chaney are top rate. They slide through crazy tempo, and dynamics changes seemlessly. And they drive Navarro's screaming licks right through the back of your skull. That is the best part of Jane's I think...they are all light and playful one second, stroking your cheek...and then POW, they are beating the shit out of you with a sledgehammer. That is the sign of a great rythmn section...tickle you one second, kick your ass the next.

This album is a bit more atmospheric than the other Jane's Addiction albums. They have taken to computers. I'm not a big fan of that, but Jane's seems to have found a way to use them to good advantage. It isn't obtrusive at all.

This is also a pretty hard charging record. Lot's of LOUD guitar. IMO, that is a very good thing. This is definately a record that you need to crank up...the louder the better.

I like all of the songs, but the highlights for me are "True Nature", "Superhero", and "To Match The Sun". At least those are my faves today....could be different next week.

Anyone who liked Jane's Addiction before will like this album. It's classic Jane's stuff.

07-23-03 11:52 AM
jb I'm surprised you like Jane's Addiction-their freaky...
07-23-03 11:54 AM
Sir Stonesalot I'm surprised that you haven't figured out yet that I am freaky.
07-23-03 11:56 AM
steel driving hammer Saw Jane's Addiction last night on Letterman. Pretty good.

Was switching back and forth because Leno had Buddy Guy.
07-23-03 11:57 AM
Zeeta Thanks, I think they are good but didn't really think this album would be any good - but will give it a listen!

BUT most of all I am looking forward to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's new album - Take Them On, On Your Own this Monday, I just read a review and it's meant to be even better than their last!

Matt
07-23-03 12:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot Love BRMC. I'll be all over that one too.
07-23-03 12:05 PM
mac_daddy I am glad you say the album is alright SSA...

they look like n-SYNC up on the side of the Sunset Tower Records, and I was afraid that the album was gonna suck. Perry's "Jubille" (sp) bit, and their concert at the Greek (LA) last year sucked, too. I hope things go better for them this time a round, and I am glad to hear they have made an album worth listening to...

I think their Lollapalooza fest is not selling very well, despite some of the good acts on the bill (although if I never see fellow so-Cal residents Incubus again, it will be too soon). But if you think I am driving out to Devore to see the show (which is damn near halfway to Vega$), you are nuts...

it is amazing how well the the debut live album (which was a favorite of mine in high school), Shocking, and Ritual all still hold up - that Sympathy for the Devil is great!!!
07-23-03 12:09 PM
mac_daddy brmc is great!!!
I hope they tour in support of the new album, I would love to catch them live.

bands in the same vein...

brian jonestown massacre (yes they are big Stones fans)
the Dandy Warhols

and they, along with old favorites GBV (albeit w/o Sprout) and new faves Rilo Kiley will all be playing at the Sunset Street Fair next month!!!!

[Edited by mac_daddy]
07-23-03 01:30 PM
doo doo doo Dude Glad to hear the new album is up to snuff and will definitly grab it today. I've always been weary of the new Jane's without (orig. bassist) Eric Avery since he co-wrote most of the classic tunes with Perry back in the day and was a major part of the o.g. lineup.

And I'm with you mac daddy, fuck Devore. I ain't driving to San Berdo!
07-23-03 07:34 PM
Martha Hey Super Freaky Sir Stonesalot..thanks for the review of this album. I have not listened to any of JA although I know of them...I will keep the new effort in mind as I journey along the music strewn pathway of life. Thanks a lot.... from one freak to another.....:-)

Freakin' just a lttle bit myself...today that is....
Martha
07-23-03 09:47 PM
beer
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Dave Navarro's style may not have fit in well with the Red Hot Chili Peppers...but he's PERFECT for Jane's Addiction.
the better.

I couldn't agree with you more, SS. Navarro was meant to play in Janes. His style is just perfect for that band.
[Edited by beer]
[Edited by beer]
07-24-03 04:05 AM
L&A http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/playvideo.asp?sid=493116
07-24-03 11:11 AM
egon must say i dont like jane's at all.

just that one song "caught stealing".

but come to think of it, i've got the album with that song on it.

interested? just say the word, and it's yours.

really? - really!
07-24-03 12:32 PM
jb Saw their new video on MTV today and not bad...the Perry Farell thinks he is Jagger....navaro gets a lot of twang and hasn't age much....he was banging Carmen Electra for awhile and that's hot stuff.....
07-24-03 01:06 PM
Factory Girl jb, navarro is still boinking Carmen. Actualy they're engaged. I saw Carmen on the Regis show and she is not aging well in her face. Or maybe, she was just tired.

07-24-03 01:11 PM
jb She looks pretty good on the cover of a mag I just saw at Circle K.....People are turned off by her b/c of her association with Dennie Rodman, but I still think she is one hot lady.....however, I have a thing for petite brunettes...
07-24-03 01:26 PM
Factory Girl Carmen is a brunette, I think. I think Pam A. is prettier.

But, gag me with Kid Rock-Yikes!!!
07-24-03 02:32 PM
Sir Stonesalot Pam & Bob were on Jimmy Kimmel last night hyping Stripperella.

Bob is a dork. He must have some good dirt on Pam.
07-24-03 02:35 PM
Factory Girl Kid Rock has a "mullet mentality".

07-24-03 03:19 PM
Honky Tonk Man I'm going to see BRMC next Thursday. Saw them late last year. I came out of the theatre convinced my left ear was bleeding. They were that loud!

Alex
07-24-03 04:03 PM
Factory Girl who are BRMC?
07-24-03 04:11 PM
mac_daddy Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
07-24-03 05:51 PM
Joey
The Set List from last evening's open show . Please notice that the Dan played " Time Out of Mind " live for the very first time -- Gorgeous .

" Tonight when I chase the Dragon ...........the water MAY change to cherry wine and the Silver WILL turn to Gold . "

Set 1:

Aja
Time Out of Mind
Godwhacker
Caves of Altamira
The Last Mall
Do It Again
Slang
Peg
Reelin' in the Years

Set 2:

The Steely Dan Show
Janie Runaway-> "jailbait medley"
Hey 19
Haitian Divorce (WB vocals)
Things I Miss The Most
Parker's Band (girls)
Josie
Kid Charlemagne
Don't Take Me Alive
FM

Show shortened, as noted, due to local sound ordinances.

Dean Parks was also a special guest.

Jerky !
07-24-03 06:39 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, so?

Your point?
07-25-03 04:38 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I'm going to see BRMC next Thursday. Saw them late last year. I came out of the theatre convinced my left ear was bleeding. They were that loud!

Alex

Yeah mate still the loudest band I have ever seen!

Make sure you wear all black leather on Thursday!!!!
07-25-03 09:52 AM
egon
quote:
Zeeta wrote:

Make sure you wear all black leather on Thursday!!!!

I giggle!
07-25-03 02:03 PM
Boomy I like the album very much. I really like the song "Price I Pay".
07-25-03 02:58 PM
Factory Girl I never got into Jane A. The dude's voice is too whiny. Not my glass of Stoli.
07-26-03 09:58 PM
Boomy Alrighty then, Captain Steubing.