ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Forty Licks" out of the Billboard 200 chart Return to archive Page: 1 2
07-21-03 05:06 PM
Soldatti 'Forty Licks' is out of the Billboard 200 albums chart after 40 weeks ranked. But in future weeks easily can re-entry.
This are their 40 weeks in the Billboard 200:
1st week - 10/14/2002 - 10/20/2002:
last week - 07/14/2003 - 07/20/2002:
Week by week:
2-3-4-9-14-20-22-27-30-23-25-21-20-16-17-17-18-30-44-47-60-70-81-87-95-96-98-104-112-136-132-139-139-159-163-161-120-161-166-181
07-21-03 05:31 PM
steel driving hammer Thats why the Stones should put out "Another 40 Licks" of different songs.

And just keep on Rolling, Bakie Don't Stop!
07-22-03 01:05 AM
Stonesmillenium2001 well hope for a new album real soon.
07-22-03 09:14 AM
jb Horrendous showing for what should have been their largest selling album of all time.......
07-22-03 09:35 AM
steel driving hammer Josh, do you blame the Stones or the people who didn't purchase 40 Licks.
07-22-03 09:43 AM
jb Both....poor marketing as usual and apparently the fan base is substantially less than what we may think here(probably less than 500,000 die-hards worldwide). Look, even at this site, only a few select people(me, you, and a couple of others) ARE REAL STONES FANS-MANY LOVE THE BEATLES MORE.
07-22-03 09:46 AM
steel driving hammer Ok, but how would YOU have marketed 40 Licks differently?

07-22-03 09:49 AM
steel driving hammer Would you of put more "Corporate" into the selling?
07-22-03 09:49 AM
jb I think a couple of select appearences might have helped...maybe SNL(I know it sucks know, but many still watch), maybe Letterman or god forbid Leno.....but all the other acts go there to promote their current projects....
07-22-03 09:52 AM
steel driving hammer So if the Stones appeared on Leno, Lettermen and SNL, 40 Licks would of then become their largest selling album of all time?

No sir.
07-22-03 09:59 AM
steel driving hammer Just going back to your original statement, that poor marketing skills was the factor why 40 Licks was not biggest selling album of all time. I'm stuck on that theory because it might be true, but no one really knows. The other factor were the fans or just people in the stores not buying it. It's hard to really pin down who's fault it was that 40 Licks didn't sell as much as hoped.

But I don't think the Stones ever appeared on Leno or Lettermen, nor should they. Their too good for it.
07-22-03 10:11 AM
jb Your probably right...look, their largest seller ever was Some Girls(I think over 8 million)...40 Licks has all their #1's and radio friendly songs.....it's hard to imagine that only 2.4 million copies were sold(don't look at the 5 million #, b/c that's only b/c it is a double disc)-the fact is only 2.4 million in the USA bought the greatest hits album of what many consider to be the greatest rock band of all time...Obviously, we here have a very skewed opinion of their greatness as they simply are not as popular in mainstream society as we may have thought....Look, they never rank up there in terms of greatest groups(especially in England were they failed to make the top 20) and instead of their longevity being embraced, it's been used to mock them. It's sad, but true-they are not as important as we want to think they are...Remember SDH, only people like me, you, Nanker, SS, Moonie, Throbby, SIA,Max, and a few others really are die hards.
[Edited by jb]
07-22-03 10:20 AM
steel driving hammer I'm also Jigsaw Puzzled why Elton and Billy will gross more money on their tour than the boys will.

Their tour ended this month, therefore, their tour numbers have stop.

The Stones still have 30 more shows yet to do this tour.

It's all the same thing but if you look at it from a diff angle, it looks different, even though your looking at the same thing. Whatever that means, LOL.
07-22-03 10:22 AM
jb I would like to see the total #'s when all is said and done..in terms of voulume, the Stones should still have grossed more combining 2002-2003 dates........
07-22-03 10:26 AM
steel driving hammer There you go Josh! Yes, me too!

Cut Across Shorty......................it's you that I wanna win.

Billy and Elton only toured in 2003 for piddely dates. And Elton just sat his fat ass on his bench and played a piano.

You want a massive world tour, Elton can't handle a massive world tour.
07-22-03 10:42 AM
Zeeta My theory on this is that most people read (casual fans) already have a at least two best of albums - most probrably Hot Rocks and Jump Back. The early abkco material and the material on Virgin respectively. These people are also probrably not interested in the new material that the boys have to offer. Therefore they have just about all of the songs on 40 Licks and pride themselves on saying "oh well I've got all of them anyway" and they don't purchase it. I bought it but I wanted to hear the new stuff.
The record company tried to promote it by saying that it was the first time that all of the hits were on one compilation. If the Stones wanted MEGA sales in my opinion they should do like an outtakes album like The Beatles did in the Anthology CDs. So much more people would buy the album it's what we need to hear - apart from new stuff.

I beleive this is what they should have done - but The Stones are still rolling and are always looking forward rather than back and wanted something to tour behind with a bit of new material to keep us lot interested. Which is what 40 licks is.

Matt
07-22-03 11:38 AM
jb Good points Matt, but would you agree that in England the Stones have always been cosidered less popular than inferior groups/performers like Queen, Bowie, Bon Jovi, Beatles, Robbie Williams, Oasis, etc.
07-22-03 11:52 AM
Zeeta Bowie is a great performer - nearly on the same level mate! Esp. Back in Aladin Sane and Ziggy eras.
I'm really not sure what you mean when you say "considered"? By whom?

I would say generally that the Great British Public and the US equivilant (?) probrably prefers The Beatles to The Stones - that's not just a UK thing. But that is also why the GBP and US equivlant are such idiots! Popularity is nothing mate.
For example this is why many polls etc are absolbute shite because just anyone i.e the GBP votes in them - hence Revolver gets to #1! I'm not saying this album is pap but surely it's not the best album made IMO.
Just because it is most popular with the masses it doesn't mean it's the best. This is why polls, in my opinion must be taken with a pinch of salt.

Anyway you gave us Kiss!
07-22-03 11:57 AM
steel driving hammer LOL, we gave you much more shitty things than Kiss Zeeta!

You gave us The Beatles! Why Zeeta WHY!!
07-22-03 12:05 PM
jb Spice Girls
Wham
Elton
Sir Cliff Richard

07-23-03 06:29 AM
Zeeta Don't on start this!!! No!

Look, I'm not getting into an argument about worst US and UK bands they don't deserve a mention on the board!

My point was - I don't believe that it is JUST in the UK that other "acts" are "considered" bigger than The Stones. And that esp. in the US many other acts such as Kiss and in particular The Beatles are probrably more popular.

If that is what you meant? Please explain instead of merely quoting your favourite UK acts!
07-23-03 08:43 AM
steel driving hammer We wont Zeeta, you gave you Stones, and das all matta.
07-24-03 12:16 PM
egon
quote:
jb wrote:
Spice Girls
Wham
Elton
Sir Cliff Richard

jb, i'm surprised you even know who cliff richard is!?

my mum's a big fan, and i myself have seen him in concert about 3 times when i was still a little man.

good voice.... crap songs, but good voice!
07-24-03 12:26 PM
jb Sir Cliff Richard had a hit in our country in the 70's...I forget the name of the song.....He is beloved in England and is certainly more respected than our boys....is he a native Brit or is he from Australia? I recall him being connected to Olivia Newton-John somehow?
07-24-03 12:38 PM
telecaster jb then you would have to cut n half the sales of Beatles #1s

Wasn't that a double album?
07-24-03 01:16 PM
jb I don't know Tele, but unfortunately, whether cut in 1/2, 1/3's, or 1/4's, the Beatles sales are so vastlty superior to the Stones, that it is embarrassing..
07-24-03 01:25 PM
telecaster I don't know jb. I would consider myself as die hard as most about The Stones but I didn't buy 40 Licks yet.

I have all the stuff in several different forms including it being on my hardrive.

They did run TV ads for it in the US for a couple of months

Look at it this way, by simply compiling a bunch of songs
that were just sitting there they made $80 Million plus

Not bad
07-24-03 01:48 PM
The Scribe The Stones should have put out 40 Licks, but with some alternate versions. Wasn't there about 40 different takes of 'Start Me Up'? In addition, there should have been another CD of new stuff, let's face it, as much as I love the band, their last 2 tours have been behind a live album and a greatest hits package. Surely, there must have been a lot of stuff they could have pulled from the vault, polished up, and released. Another 'Tattoo You' would have been great.
07-24-03 02:23 PM
jb Apparently not as evidenced by the horrendous new material on 40 Licks...not gems in the archive circa Tatoo You (Start Me Up).
07-25-03 02:59 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! New album in the summer of 2004 with US tour to follow. That's my guess, but I would be willing to lay money on it!
Page: 1 2