ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Backstage at Estadi Olimpia de Munjuic, Barcelona, España - 21 June 2007
Felicidades a nuestros grandes amigos españoles
© Guillem!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Concert Poland delayed ? Return to archive
23rd July 2007 03:03 PM
bootcover Stones delay, Stewart cancels concert as Poles mourn - Summary

Warsaw - Legendary rockers the Rolling Stones were expected to delay the start of a concert in the Polish capital Warsaw Wednesday, while Scottish superstar Rod Stewart cancelled a Tuesday gig in the Polish Baltic port city of Gdansk as Poland mourned pilgrims killed in a Sunday bus crash in the French Alps. The Stones were expected to begin their Warsaw concert at Wednesday midnight out of respect for a three-day period of national mourning called by Polish President Lech Kaczynski early Monday, Poland's TVN24 news channel reported.

Organizers said Rod Stewart cancelled his Tuesday concert, but would take to the stage Thursday at the historic Gdansk Shipyard, the birthplace of Poland's revolutionary Solidarity trade union which toppled communism in 1989.

Twenty-six Poles died and a further 24 were injured Sunday after their bus ran off a cliff on a steep road in the French Alps near Grenoble.

Brake failure and driver error are thought to have been the causes behind the tragedy, Polish media reported Monday.

President Kaczynski announced a three-day period of national mourning until Wednesday midnight upon his return early Monday morning from the crash site in France.

The Poles were returning home from a Roman Catholic pilgrimage to Catholic holy sites, primarily in Spain.

Source:

EARTHtimes.org
[Edited by bootcover]
[Edited by bootcover]
[Edited by bootcover]
23rd July 2007 03:04 PM
bootcover Poland mourns crash victims

WARSAW (Reuters) - Flags flew at half mast, church bells tolled and a rock concert was cancelled as Poland began three days of mourning on Monday for at least 26 Polish pilgrims killed in a bus crash in France.

President Lech Kaczynski urged Poles to call off all entertainment during mourning for the pilgrims, who died on Sunday when their coach crashed off a road in the French Alps, plunged down a ravine and burst into flames.

A concert by British rock singer Rod Stewart, which had been planned for Tuesday in the largely Catholic country, was cancelled. Organisers were to decide on Monday whether to reschedule a Wednesday concert by the Rolling Stones.

"This is probably one of the worst catastrophes in decades and I think organisers and guests -- Rod Stewart and the Rolling Stones -- will understand," Sport and Tourism Minister Elzbieta Jakubiak told Polish radio.

The pilgrims, from the Szczecin area of northwest Poland, had been due to return home on Tuesday after two weeks in Spain and France. A further 24 people were injured in the crash.

Transport Minister Jerzy Polaczek said the brakes of the coach appeared to have failed. Deputy health minister Boleslaw Piecha, who visited the injured at a hospital in Grenoble, said three pilgrims remained in critical condition.

Source:

23rd July 2007 03:05 PM
SweetVirginia Swojtek is reporting the following on IORR:

Concert on time! (http://muzyka.onet.pl/0,1576952,newsy.html)
The Rolling Stones decided to make financial donation on special account administer by Carits Poland in order to support the families of the victims.
23rd July 2007 03:15 PM
bootcover Oke, pay some money and everything is set to go.
23rd July 2007 03:29 PM
gimmekeef If its an official period of mourning....I personally dont think they should play....delay a day if its at all possible...But there will be many inconvenienced but this sounds to be a national disaster....Poor folks...It is only rock & roll
23rd July 2007 09:10 PM
pdog I'm not diminishing the loss of life, but a bus crash with two dozen killed and about the same injured perplexes me as to why the eniteire country is mourning to the point of shutting down?
Can anyone clue me in if I'm sounding really ignorant and callous.
23rd July 2007 09:17 PM
robpop
quote:
pdog wrote:
I'm not diminishing the loss of life, but a bus crash with two dozen killed and about the same injured perplexes me as to why the eniteire country is mourning to the point of shutting down?

Pdog, As we say in America the show must go on.

23rd July 2007 09:35 PM
tumbled this is a good thing .... this shows that humans still have feeling for their fellow man...it is very good.. i remember when us of a was sensitive enough to care

and plus....

it says, the rolling stones are about happy and celebration and...how can we be sad and host the happiness
of stones now... which is honest and good and respectful
[Edited by tumbled]
23rd July 2007 09:50 PM
robpop
quote:
tumbled wrote:
this is a good thing .... this shows that humans still have feeling for their fellow man...it is very good.. i remember when us of a was sensitive enough to care

and plus....

it says, the rolling stones are about happy and celebration and...how can we be sad and host the happiness
of stones now... which is honest and good and respectful
[Edited by tumbled]

I have no problem with that. My point is in here in the States, money talks. Its not how I feel but how are society has turned into.

True story....when the Stones played here in Pittsburgh in September 05, I went to pick the little lady up. She was not ready, so I went to get beer. I was held up at the beer distributor (here in PA there is still no alcohol sold in stores). The delay angered me. When I left there was a terrible accident that just happened a few blocks down the road. I picked my girl up and went to the show, like nothing happened.

The next day she told me that some guy went across the center line struck a car in the lane that I would have been in, and killed two people. Makes you think

I can find the article and post it if you do not believe me. It happened 9/28/2005 around 2PM on PA state route 136 in West Newton PA.
24th July 2007 11:03 AM
PartyDoll MEG In the BBC News today...

"Stones gig to help crash victims

The Rolling Stones are to give a share of proceeds from a concert in Warsaw to the families of 26 Polish pilgrims who were killed in a coach crash in France.
The rock legends are to go ahead with Wednesday's gig, which will follow three days of national mourning for the victims of Sunday's crash.

A minute's silence will also be held during the show, organisers said.

Earlier, singer Rod Stewart cancelled a concert scheduled to take place in Gdansk during the mourning period.

The accident happened in the French Alps, near the city of Grenoble.

Elderly passengers

The coach, which had come from the Szczecin area of north-west Poland, was carrying 51 people, including two drivers.

Most of the passengers were elderly Roman Catholic pilgrims on their way back from the shrine of Notre-dame-de-la-Salette.

The vehicle broke through a safety barrier while going down a steep road before falling into a ravine and bursting into flames.

The Rolling Stones' concert promoter Viva Art did not say how much money was likely to be given to the victims' families.

Tens of thousands of fans are expected at Wednesday's sell-out show at the Sluzewiec Hippodrome as part of the band's three-month European tour."

24th July 2007 11:17 AM
Joey " and plus....

of stones now... which is honest and good and respectful "

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24th July 2007 08:11 PM
TomL Fucking politics.
25th July 2007 03:24 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
pdog wrote:
I'm not diminishing the loss of life, but a bus crash with two dozen killed and about the same injured perplexes me as to why the eniteire country is mourning to the point of shutting down?

I sort of agree with you, I had my eyebrows raised as well concerning the '3 days of national mourning'. Wouldn't see that in my country either Pdog. It would be the number one talkshow and news topic for a week, sure, and some kind of memorial service would have been held somewhere no doubt, but we don't get our national mourning easily, let alone 3 days...

On the other hand, seeing as the Polish already instated that period, I think the Stones should respect the local customs for as far as that is possible. Throwing money at it (useless) is a cop-out. Then they should have decided to perform on principle instead imo.
25th July 2007 03:54 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

I sort of agree with you, I had my eyebrows raised as well concerning the '3 days of national mourning'. Wouldn't see that in my country either Pdog. It would be the number one talkshow and news topic for a week, sure, and some kind of memorial service would have been held somewhere no doubt, but we don't get our national mourning easily, let alone 3 days...

On the other hand, seeing as the Polish already instated that period, I think the Stones should respect the local customs for as far as that is possible. Throwing money at it (useless) is a cop-out. Then they should have decided to perform on principle instead imo.

agreed!
and they should respect that most people in Poland are more Catholic then the pope himself, and if they think they need to mourn 3 days/weeks/months the stones have to respect that.
We all know that if they would cancel this show, they prolly won't come back. Again, it's all about the money.
25th July 2007 04:17 AM
fanfucker Do you think "Sympathy for the devil" must be censored?
25th July 2007 01:48 PM
Gazza Polish charity refuses 'dirty money' gift from Rolling Stones

A Polish Catholic charity has refused to take a donation from the Rolling Stones for the families of 26 Polish pilgrims killed in a coach crash last week.

The group said it would donate money from ticket sales from its concert in Warsaw to the families of those who died in the coach crash in France.

But the Caritas charity said it wanted nothing to do with the band's offer because the concert was taking place during a period of national mourning for the dead which ends at midnight tonight.

The Rolling Stones are currently touring Poland

Father Zbigniew Sobolewski, a spokesperson for Caritas, said: "We will not be opening any account from which money raised from the organisers or sponsors of the concert might be passed on.

"Caritas Poland wants to respect the time of mourning as an occasion when reflection on life and death and prayer can take place."

But the concert's Polish organisers slammed Caritas' decision.

Anna Tanska of the Viva Art agency said: "Caritas has reached the conclusion that since the money raised by the Rolling Stones will be 'dirty money' then they won't take it for the families of the victims.

"They just prefer it if they don't have anything to do with it and the families don't get the money.

"What good is it if we just fold our arms and do nothing? The victims' families have to live off something. People from show business can help them to some extent, by doing what they do best."

Wreckage: The remains of the bus which was transporting Polish pilgrims from a holy site in the French Alps

She added that they hoped to persuade another charity, the Polsat Foundation, to collect the money although they did not know yet how much it would be.

She said they were expecting 40,000 people to attend and that tickets were sold at between £30 and £200.

She added that there would be a minute's silence at the concert as a mark of respect for those who died.

Meanwhile, though, fellow British rocker Rod Stewart moved a concert which had been planned for Tuesday to Thursday so that it did not take place during the period of national mourning, local media reported.

Before the Rolling Stones even perform there are still fears at one point that the concert may have to be called off after it was reported the band were likely to end up on a blacklist of "Satanic" performers.

Local authorities and the government confirmed they would be consulting a list being drawn up by an NGO called the All-Polish Defence Committee Against Sects (OKOPS), which tries to track down corrupting influences on Polish society and youth.

And government ministries and local authorities said they would use it as a basis of deciding which bands will be banned from performing, and there were fears that it might mean a ban for the Stones concert.

Urszula Sienkiewicz-Nogal of Bialystok city council said: "Nowadays we rarely know anything about the bands that are performing in our city and the list would enable us to identify the dangerous ones much more easily.

"I don't think anyone with common sense would allow concerts by any of the artists included in the document to be carried out."

The Justice and Interior ministries have also said that they have asked for a copy of the list and will be using it in connection with creating and enforcing legislation on cults and sects.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s there were claims the Rolling Stones members supported the occult and Satanism after releasing tracks like Sympathy for the Devil.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=470794&in_page_id=1811&ito=1490

25th July 2007 01:52 PM
gimmekeef The Catholics over here would take the money...to defray the costs of all the diddling suits they've had to settle.
25th July 2007 02:05 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Polish charity refuses 'dirty money' gift from Rolling Stones

A Polish Catholic charity has refused to take a donation from the Rolling Stones for the families of 26 Polish pilgrims killed in a coach crash last week.

Hogwash..
No Charity, especially a Catholic one, would refuse charitable donations...
25th July 2007 02:42 PM
bilsim A midnight stones concert! That would be soooooo cooooool!!!!!!!!!!! Just imagine!
25th July 2007 02:43 PM
Moonisup playing brand new car, as we speak!
25th July 2007 02:50 PM
Joey
quote:
bilsim wrote:
A midnight stones concert! That would be soooooo cooooool!!!!!!!!!!! Just imagine!

Amen !!!!!!

Midnight Stones ...under the moonlight ..... the serious moonlight .

This will be a very special gig .
25th July 2007 02:54 PM
pdog It's a catholic thing, no wonder it made no sense to me.
25th July 2007 03:25 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
bilsim wrote:
A midnight stones concert! That would be soooooo cooooool!!!!!!!!!!! Just imagine!

Nope. Mick always wants to be away from his fans when his birthday hits. I remember a show in Paris 98 on July 25th, where he ignored any Happy Birtday cheers from the crowd, rushed through the final half hour and the goodbyes at the end, so he could be at his party at midnight. He's a swell guy.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)