ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Backstage at Estadi Olimpia de Munjuic, Barcelona, España - 21 June 2007
Felicidades a nuestros grandes amigos españoles
© Guillem!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: the final four on UC Return to archive
21st July 2007 12:27 AM
aladdinstory i've always really liked UC, even though its relative commercial failure is something i don't think the band, mick in particular, has ever recovered from IMHO, they never seemed as confident with their studio work after that. but damn is UC one helluva a release, particularly from that grinding opening riff of Pretty Beat Up through the fade of Must Be Hell. those four songs at the end just flowed so well into each other, great sequencing there i always thought. this despite the fact that the basic track for Too Tough was nearly a decade old and the obvious riff they lifted for MBH, those four songs just kicked it up a notch for me. All The Way Down should've become a rock radio staple, they missed out with that one. i was curious what other RO denizens thought of UC in general, and those four songs in particular.
21st July 2007 07:35 AM
fireontheplatter i listened to this a lot when it first came out...i don't own a copy of it now, so i guess its not one of my faves.
i like the song to tough tho.
21st July 2007 07:41 AM
Mr Jurkka Wha' is UC?
21st July 2007 10:07 AM
corgi37 Undercover.

Apart from TY, my fave 80's Stones album. Still willing to experiment with what was happening in the day (drum tracks, tymphanies, electronic stuff). Also, a very aggressive album with not a ballad in sight. The 1st album they really paid attention to the clips, as opposed to just straight performance clips.

Pain of love is my favourite track. I also think its dated very, very well - as opposed to SW.

I must say, it was not a flop here in Oz. It was very popular and the clips were on high rotation. But, the killer was, they didnt tour it. After what was then 10 years, Oz fans were really waiting for them to tour. The fact we missed out in 81/82 really fucked them up in this country.

I also recall the Jules Holland special on the making of this album. Only ever saw it once. His other famous one of the time was U2's Unforgettable fire.

Another thing i recall about this album was that Ronnie invited members or Duran Duran to a recording session, and they were stunned that the band played all together as a unit. I guess they were brought up on the "phoning our part in" line. Ronnie gave one of the Taylor's from Duran Duran the bendy guitar he used on the clip to "She was hot".

Australia was granted a interveiw with the band that was given to EON Fm (now MMM). I taped it and still have it somewhere. Mick was intensely bored, and simply wished it would all go away. I guess "She's the boss" was coming into play about then. Keith was ok, but non committal about touring anywhere, let alone Oz. Ronnie & Bill were good. Very funny and entertaining. As for touring Oz, Ronnie said "Leave up to old Ronnie, i'll get 'em there" Well, it only took him a further 12 fucking years!

Charlie was not interviewed.

I love the album and cant see how fans could possibly whine about it. It's got some great, aggressive guitars, a fantastic sonic sound and clarity and some fun lyrics.
21st July 2007 10:25 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
aladdinstory wrote:
i've always really liked UC, even though its relative commercial failure is something i don't think the band, mick in particular, has ever recovered from IMHO, they never seemed as confident with their studio work after that. but damn is UC one helluva a release, particularly from that grinding opening riff of Pretty Beat Up through the fade of Must Be Hell. those four songs at the end just flowed so well into each other, great sequencing there i always thought. this despite the fact that the basic track for Too Tough was nearly a decade old and the obvious riff they lifted for MBH, those four songs just kicked it up a notch for me. All The Way Down should've become a rock radio staple, they missed out with that one. i was curious what other RO denizens thought of UC in general, and those four songs in particular.

failure? it was #3! I love the album but respectfully disagree on 'All The Way Down', thinking it one of the weakest tracks of their career....
21st July 2007 10:33 AM
Nellcote I think the line from the start of ATWD is the nuts, does it go something like this..."Don't start from the beginning, just drop us in"....
I really dig the lp. Gawd, 24 years ago, right? I was
just married, bought an old house to rehab, old neighbors, I would blast the mutha loud & proud. SWH, in my eyes, the killer track, vid of the lp. Get yo hands on the radio take of it which is over 8 min long.....well worth the hunt....
21st July 2007 10:48 AM
aladdinstory
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

failure? it was #3! I love the album but respectfully disagree on 'All The Way Down', thinking it one of the weakest tracks of their career....

#3 is great, but the stones at that time were on an eight studio album streak of #1's, that added to the fact of the huge popularity of the TTY album and tour, UC has to be looked upon as a "relative" commercial disappointment. not an artistic one, though, not at all. i think it was also their first studio album not released in late spring or summer since LIB, which of course was their last album not to have hit #1, hard as that is to believe (especially considering the massive '69 tour), peaking at #2.
21st July 2007 03:05 PM
gimmekeef Guys....I respect your love of UC....But give yourselves a treat and try blastin..Aftermath......Theres the nutzzz
21st July 2007 03:58 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Guys....I respect your love of UC....But give yourselves a treat and try blastin..Aftermath......Theres the nutzzz

yeah Aftermath is in a class by itself, that's for sure...the stones were quite a different band from that by '83. the big 4, even SG and TTY are always mentioned but Aftermath is mistakenly overlooked, it was a very transitionary release for them and there would be no big 4 without it, mick and keith had come of age as songwriters and for the group it lifted the bar for all future recordings.
21st July 2007 05:08 PM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Undercover.

oh.. damn i really have to keep up with these shortend song names.
[Edited by Mr Jurkka]
21st July 2007 05:42 PM
_Boomy_ Yeah, people like to use the acronyms to reduce the amount of letters they have to type. You'll get used to it.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)