ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Backstage at Estadi Olimpia de Munjuic, Barcelona, España - 21 June 2007
Felicidades a nuestros grandes amigos españoles
© Guillem!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 'Time Waits for No One' versus 'Time is On My Side' Return to archive Page: 1 2
19th July 2007 09:30 PM
akula Round 1: Neighbours vs. Lies - Neighbours took it 12-2!

Now, Time is On My Side goes head to head with Time Waits for No One..
19th July 2007 09:31 PM
Got Me Rockin
quote:
akula wrote:
Round 1: Neighbours vs. Lies - Neighbours took it 12-2!

Now, Time is On My Side goes head to head with Time Waits for No One..

Time Waits for No One. Mick Taylor's solo? C'mon dude.
19th July 2007 09:33 PM
Scottfree TWFNO
19th July 2007 09:40 PM
fireontheplatter time is on my side

...but thats not really true...
19th July 2007 09:52 PM
mrhipfl time is on my side
19th July 2007 10:14 PM
time is on my side time is on my side
19th July 2007 10:47 PM
voodoodrew By and large, I'm more of a 70s era fan than a 60s era fan, but in this case Time Is On My Side, by far.
19th July 2007 10:57 PM
akula close as expected! My vote is for Time Waits for No One,

indeed the guitar solo is sublime
19th July 2007 11:04 PM
IanBillen
How the hell can Time Waits for No One ever take the classic Time is on my Side???

*Another example of the board members here choosing to go against the grain, or purposely not going with the unargued obvious just to be different*.

We all know what is better. And yes TIOMS is a much better. Not even because it is so much more popular, but plain and simply folks....it is just a much better song.

Ian
19th July 2007 11:12 PM
Bloozehound Ian who's on the cover of Tattoo You ?
19th July 2007 11:28 PM
Throwaway No way in hell to compare the two: a 60s cover that is indeed a classic and came off great live during the throwback Still Life tour, the other a beautiful showcase of Mick and Nicky's skills, with a great lyrical performance from Jagger, that haunts the soul. Both classics.
19th July 2007 11:29 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Ian who's on the cover of Tattoo You ?

Bloozehound,

You want me to take you down to that there whooping post again there bowaaa ???

Ian
19th July 2007 11:48 PM
akula
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

How the hell can Time Waits for No One ever take the classic Time is on my Side???

*Another example of the board members here choosing to go against the grain, or purposely not going with the unargued obvious just to be different*.

We all know what is better. And yes TIOMS is a much better. Not even because it is so much more popular, but plain and simply folks....it is just a much better song.

Ian

Ever heard of "opinion"?
19th July 2007 11:50 PM
mojoman two great songs but time is on my side wins
19th July 2007 11:59 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
mojoman wrote:
two great songs but time is on my side wins

ONLY THE HAMPTON 81 VERSION
20th July 2007 02:05 AM
JOHNNYSTONED TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE
20th July 2007 03:40 AM
fanfucker Time is on my side!!
20th July 2007 03:45 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

ONLY THE HAMPTON 81 VERSION

LOL I was listening to Hampton this morning in the car...what a fantastic show!!
so time is on my side too
20th July 2007 07:53 AM
Nasty Habits Time is on my side has a way better guitar solo than Time Waits for No One.

Time is on my Side by far.

20th July 2007 12:54 PM
gustavobala TWFNO
20th July 2007 01:02 PM
MrPleasant TWFNO, because of Mick Taylor.
20th July 2007 01:15 PM
tumblingdice01 Time Waits for No One. That guitar!
20th July 2007 11:51 PM
robpop When did Tom Waits play for the Stones?
21st July 2007 12:28 AM
StarvinMarvin Time Waits For No One. Taylor's guitar solo is a stunning showcase of virtuoso melodicism if I ever heard one. The lyrics are great, and Jagger puts in one of his best performances of the 70's. It has a dark, forefoding, decadent aura about it. A fascinating track.

Besides, Time Is On My Side is a cover. It's not a real Stones song (even though I do like the track a lot).
21st July 2007 12:34 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Bloozehound,

You want me to take you down to that there whooping post again there bowaaa ???

Ian

Who's on the cover of Tattoo You, bowaaa ???
21st July 2007 02:00 AM
Brainbell Jangler Time Is On My Side. To suggest it is not a "real" Stones song because they did not compose it is fallacious IMO. It is among a handful of covers which are essential elements of the Stones canon; hence its inclusion in Hot Rocks and on multiple tours. Nor is it really a cover in the ordinary sense. If you ask almost anyone, they would say that TIOMS is a Rolling Stones song. And, of course, the Stones' longevity lends the song a symbolic significance which increases with each day the band continues to carry on.

TWFNO is a breathtakingly beautiful ballad. The guitar solo can be trance-inducing. The song is perhaps the best product of the Jagger/Taylor songwriting team. That is also the problem with the song, however, and the reason why it could be argued that TWFNO is less a "real" (in the sense of paradigmatic) Stones song than TIOMS. TWFNO signaled the inevitability of Mick T's departure from the band IMO. So the vote must go to Time Is On My Side.

21st July 2007 11:26 AM
akula nice commentary Jangler
21st July 2007 01:35 PM
Bloozehound How are these 2 songs even comparable, just because they both deal with time?

Only some trendy Deutsche bankin, froo froo latte with sprinkles drinkin, bluetooth talkin, fuzzy sock wearin, Hybrid car drivin, Satisfaction overatin, Beatles geek would rate flash like TWFNO over a true Stones classic like Time is On My Side

Not to say that TWFNO isn't a cool assed jam, but TIOMS is part of what put the Stones on the map, no contest
21st July 2007 03:06 PM
MikeyC613 time
time
time

is on my side
21st July 2007 05:44 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Time is on my side has a way better guitar solo than Time Waits for No One.

Time is on my Side by far.

i would agree! much as i love taylor, TWFNO's solo isn't one of my favorites by him, and the song despite some great lyrics always has bored me, too slick. Time is on My side, is a grittier song, really a great track from the early Stones, the early 80s live version cooks too.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)