ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Backstage at Estadi Olimpia de Munjuic, Barcelona, España - 21 June 2007
Felicidades a nuestros grandes amigos españoles
© Guillem!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: who is responsible for the stones downhill ride? Return to archive Page: 1 2
20th July 2007 08:30 AM
Gazza
quote:
oldkr wrote:

they've never put anything above that- ever!

I would disagree with that. In the first couple of years they certainly did, before they realised they could be in it for the long haul.

quote:
oldkr wrote:

But to claim that the stones have ever been interested in 'artistic integrity' may be stretching it.

A question of emphasis. I've never suggested that the 'art' totally overrode the financial gain, but for a sizeable portion of their career they were at least in the same ballpark. To suggest theyve always just been in it for the money does their artistic and cultural impact a great disservice.

quote:
oldkr wrote:

oh and while i'm ranting they don't have a legacy- thats a fan creation.

Sure - the man who's said ad nauseam that the greatest tribute a musician can have on his tombstone is "he passed it on" believes he doesnt have a 'legacy' and that such a description is a fan invention. Nonsense.

20th July 2007 10:08 AM
oldkr gazza we'll agree to to disagree again if thats OK! LOL wouldnt be the first time!!

have a blast in europe--please try to imagine which song i may take my piss break on and act accordingly!

OLDKR
20th July 2007 10:18 AM
Love In Vain Hello everybody, first post on the board. It's a long one, sorry about that. Been lurking for a while. Very much enjoy reading the comments here.

For my $.02, the Stones are still great. Sure, it's not 1969 anymore, but so what? To me it's absolutely amazing that they are still out there on the boards, doing what they do, and doing it so well.

Jagger in particular is still great. The fact that he can still actually sing and move the way he does is a tribute to the fact that the guy has gone to great lengths to take care of himself. Keef is still Keef thank God, warts and all. You wouldn't want him to change at this stage of the game. Charlie, same thing. I think Woody is playing much better now than he was say back in the 80s.

The "selling out" aspect of what they're doing...more power to them. Rock and roll has always been a business, even back in the day when the bands didn't think of it that way, and then wound up getting ripped off by the people who knew otherwise. I don't have a problem with the Stones getting paid. Good for them. They still have to drag their senior citizen asses on those stages and perform every night. These tours are unreal...it's not like they're not working hard for their cash.

Of course the fans look at it more emotionally because our attachment really is to the music. But a band that's been around as long as the Stones...and let's face it, they're really in a category unto themselves there...they're human beings, they're going to evolve as they go through life as we all do. They're not the same people they were "back in the day". So of course it's different now. And the music business is vastly changed as well.

I agree, Beggar's Banquet, Exile, etc. were all a long long time ago. The Stones haven't made a record nearly that good since those days. But A Bigger Bang IMO is easily their best album of the past 25 years, so I think they at least deserve some credit for that. But I also liked a lot of things on Voodoo and Bridges...some of the live albums of course I could live without...but I like the DVDs, especially the theatre show from Paris on the Four Flicks DVD, if that wasn't a great Stones concert I don't know what is.

In the end if a fan doesn't want to shell out his cash for what they're doing now I can understand that. And this is one fan who no longer has any desire to go watch the Stones in a bloody football stadium (or any other band for that matter). But I'll still go see them in a basketball arena or theatre (if I ever got THAT lucky!). And the DVDs are a fun way to see them in the comfort of your own home.

The Stones have long been known as The Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band In The World. I would have to say, as they are now in the 45th year (!) of going out on that stage and giving their best, they have earned that title and then some. I've enjoyed many other great rock acts, bands and solo artists, but I think the Stones have outdone them all, and outlasted all but a few. Maybe some of their stuff in recent years has some of that "lifetime achievement award" ambience to it. But they're still a great live band, especially given their age. They're still entertaining. I'm glad they're still around.

20th July 2007 10:54 AM
bilsim I'm 19 years old. The stones I fell in love with where the band that released Bridges to Babylon in 1997. I'd heard Gunface before I'd heard Brown Sugar! I never saw the the stones in the 60's, 70's or 80's. The first time I saw the stones was on the licks tour and I loved it. Buying A Bigger Bang was the first time I bought a NEW stones album. I love the stones. I ADORE the stones and I love the NOW stones. I love Keef standing infront of a packed out stadium, taking a drag from his ciggy and people going wild and just thinking. "yeh, you're keef". I love Mick dancing around like a 10 year old on christmas morning. I'm fairly new to these boards, but I'm as much of a stones fanatic as anyone here, I'm just, younger =D. At the end of the day, The stones appeal to a younger market too, and I'd rather them be on a so called "decline" than not be going to see them thrice in August.

I'd also like to add this. If you think the stones are on a decline, go and see the who. You'll piss yourself.
20th July 2007 11:23 AM
Gazza
quote:
oldkr wrote:
gazza we'll agree to to disagree again if thats OK! LOL wouldnt be the first time!!

have a blast in europe--please try to imagine which song i may take my piss break on and act accordingly!

OLDKR

damn right, mate. Sorry you wont be coming over. You and Doug will both be greatly missed.
20th July 2007 11:32 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

damn right, mate. Sorry you wont be coming over. You and Doug will both be greatly missed.

from the recent setlists, i would suggest taking the piss break at any point during the B Stage
20th July 2007 11:49 AM
BONOISLOVE I remember when I bought Dirty Work upon recommendation from my dearest friend, Robert CHRISTGgau. Back To Zero made me want to shake my hips and pray on my knees and give a big wet french kiss to the album cover, all at the same time.

It all went downhill later? I'm sorry for dear ol' Mick Jagger and them Rollin' Stones. But Freejack ruled!
20th July 2007 11:54 AM
Nellcote During my youth, I spent many evenings outdoors, with many colleagues, in the cold, clear New England air, huddled around a raging bonfire. We would conduct studies on the human anatomy, towards the effect of the consumption of the multiple, small, aluminum cans of malt beverage, commonly known as beer, and it's relation to having to relieve one's self of the said product, discussed here as "pissing". After several of these beverages were consumed, the urge to void was apparant, however, we would all practice various forms of mind control, to resist the urge, as once one would succumb to this, more frequent voiding was present with the amount of malt beverage which was consumed, other evening activities were then short-changed by the constant need to rush to relieve. One by one, we would notice attendees of such events giving way after two or three of such beverages consumed, only to see them held hostage to such beahvior for the remainder of the evening, possibly jeapordizing potentially valuable crowd interaction. Your humble typist would not need to consider such voiding activity until at least ten of these beverages were consumed, as training one's mind on more important areas of crowd interaction were crucial to the positive outcome of the evening.

It is with this training that I have been able to enjoy every Stones concert I have attended by not having to encounter the mostly squalid conditions of these relief facilities during the show. Additionally, I employ such procedures during most events I attend. I find this camel like practice very favorable to taking in such events in life. The summary is, mind over matter, to insure maximum enjoyment of life.

Thank you for your continued support and cooperation.
20th July 2007 01:16 PM
Dan
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
During my youth, I spent many evenings outdoors, with many colleagues, in the cold, clear New England air, huddled around a raging bonfire. We would conduct studies on the human anatomy, towards the effect of the consumption of the multiple, small, aluminum cans of malt beverage, commonly known as beer, and it's relation to having to relieve one's self of the said product, discussed here as "pissing". After several of these beverages were consumed, the urge to void was apparant, however, we would all practice various forms of mind control, to resist the urge, as once one would succumb to this, more frequent voiding was present with the amount of malt beverage which was consumed, other evening activities were then short-changed by the constant need to rush to relieve. One by one, we would notice attendees of such events giving way after two or three of such beverages consumed, only to see them held hostage to such beahvior for the remainder of the evening, possibly jeapordizing potentially valuable crowd interaction. Your humble typist would not need to consider such voiding activity until at least ten of these beverages were consumed, as training one's mind on more important areas of crowd interaction were crucial to the positive outcome of the evening.

It is with this training that I have been able to enjoy every Stones concert I have attended by not having to encounter the mostly squalid conditions of these relief facilities during the show. Additionally, I employ such procedures during most events I attend. I find this camel like practice very favorable to taking in such events in life. The summary is, mind over matter, to insure maximum enjoyment of life.

Once, after excercising mind control for as long as humanly possible, I filled up an entire 40 ounce bottle.
20th July 2007 01:21 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
During my youth, I spent many evenings outdoors, with many colleagues, in the cold, clear New England air, huddled around a raging bonfire. We would conduct studies on the human anatomy, towards the effect of the consumption of the multiple, small, aluminum cans of malt beverage, commonly known as beer, and it's relation to having to relieve one's self of the said product, discussed here as "pissing". After several of these beverages were consumed, the urge to void was apparant, however, we would all practice various forms of mind control, to resist the urge, as once one would succumb to this, more frequent voiding was present with the amount of malt beverage which was consumed, other evening activities were then short-changed by the constant need to rush to relieve. One by one, we would notice attendees of such events giving way after two or three of such beverages consumed, only to see them held hostage to such beahvior for the remainder of the evening, possibly jeapordizing potentially valuable crowd interaction. Your humble typist would not need to consider such voiding activity until at least ten of these beverages were consumed, as training one's mind on more important areas of crowd interaction were crucial to the positive outcome of the evening.

Watch out. I don't know if it's in the same league but I heard of a man who didn't want to fart in a party, out of shame. Something went wrong with his intestines and he needed an operation. Nowadays he openly farts.
20th July 2007 04:12 PM
Gazza I'll use that excuse from now on!
20th July 2007 04:23 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Nellcote wrote:

Postin Hall Of Fame, right here!!

LMAO!!!!
20th July 2007 05:02 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Morrisey Hotel wrote:

Did you think that up all by yourself?

yes i did...do you like it?
20th July 2007 06:54 PM
2000monkey The Biggest Bang is better than Four Flicks. Guitars MUCH better. Must be Blondie and Mick Taylor hiding behind a big fat amplifier. Too bad they've lost all interest in new material though. Might as well call this European leg 45 Licks.
21st July 2007 12:53 AM
the good
quote:
oldkr wrote:

people would say man this sounds dated, its got a terrible mix and some themes entirely inappropriate for their age.
OLDKR
[Edited by oldkr]

The point was that if they just released a great tune, their age wouldn't matter.
21st July 2007 07:21 PM
qwer The "going downhill" began in 1994. Voodoo lounge was boring. The 1994/95 tour was more or less a copy of the "steel wheels-tour". The StW-tour was new in it's form and gigantic. A new dimension. The Stones always formed new dimensions in touring and stage-performaning. But in 1994 and all the tours after that, they made only little variations of the same tour!
Outfits, backing band, Setlists-style, stage-look ... that all was more or less the same over the last years. No new dimension! Sure - there were nice things, too: A few moments when they varied setlists, the "arena-shows", the stripped-album. Some album-tracks were still fantastic, but never a whole album again!
So now for the first time I found myself tired to watch them again for so much money to pay. And I didn't went to a show this time! I've already seen that all too often in the same way! I guess they've got too lazy, to create new things. They have no longing in that anymore. They repeating themself only more or less since 1994.
[Edited by qwer]
21st July 2007 08:36 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
oldkr wrote:

...keith doesnt turn it on with the stones...

What's all this then?
21st July 2007 08:59 PM
Sid Vicious
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

yes i did...do you like it?

It's like being dope sick in the tombs after stabbing your girlfriend to death.

23rd July 2007 08:35 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nellcote wrote:

Yes I have a response.
What?????????????
23rd July 2007 09:01 AM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

from the recent setlists, i would suggest taking the piss break at any point during the B Stage

The sound will probably be no different out at the toilets
23rd July 2007 09:50 AM
Ronnie Richards responsible for the stones downhill ride?

age, greed and arthritis...
23rd July 2007 10:18 AM
Joey " It is with this training that I have been able to enjoy every Stones concert I have attended by not having to encounter the mostly squalid conditions of these relief facilities during the show. Additionally, I employ such procedures during most events I attend. "

Amen .

I place my Ass on only the FINEST of porcelain

" Oh , he REFUSES to use Port - a - Potties Ronnie ! "

www.QWESTCENTER.com

www.SPRINTCENTER.com

Jacky Wipes !

23rd July 2007 10:19 AM
Moonisup responsible?? I think young joey hilton, pug and jb
23rd July 2007 10:25 AM
gimmekeef "Afterall it was you and me"....We enabled them by paying the prices and accepting something less than we got before.Each tour sells well and they continue to rake in more money while putting out a continued declining product.So whose to blame?....Mirrors all around gang....
23rd July 2007 11:08 AM
Gazza
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
I think young joey hilton, pug and jb

quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
age, greed and arthritis...

same thing?
23rd July 2007 11:27 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

same thing?

does that make me "greed"? As you may recall, I am not yet 30 (will be in a few weeks though). Joshy definitely can be arthritis.....but Joey has aged well, no?
23rd July 2007 12:01 PM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

does that make me "greed"? As you may recall, I am not yet 30 (will be in a few weeks though). Joshy definitely can be arthritis.....but Joey has aged well, no?

Nooooo...they were in no particular order. Just thought that two posts listing 3 examples was too good an opportunity to overlook.....

Now, if we'd substituted 'bowel problems' or 'flank pain' for 'arthritis'......
[Edited by Gazza]
23rd July 2007 12:33 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Nooooo...they were in no particular order. Just thought that two posts listing 3 examples was too good an opportunity to overlook.....

Now, if we'd substituted 'bowel problems' or 'flank pain' for 'arthritis'......
[Edited by Gazza]

come to think of it, I have an arthritic shoulder and ligament damage in one of my fingers, combine this with terrible cartilage "rubbing", I can qualify either way.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)