ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Backstage at Estadi Olimpia de Munjuic, Barcelona, España - 21 June 2007
Felicidades a nuestros grandes amigos españoles
© Guillem!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ušce Park, Novi Beograd (New Belgrade), Serbia, 14th July 2007 - Setlist, Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
16th July 2007 12:10 PM
Gazza
quote:
Supersonic Squirrel wrote:
I have seen that people posted one of my video clips here, so I thought I'd log in and give you links to some more stuff as well, as well as post a review of the show (later).

Hope you guys here can forgive me for not being a die-hard fan, I went as a casual listener who was curious and I went with two die-hard fans and my mother who was one of them in her younger days.

Basically, I am still breathless. I never thought I'd witness something like this!

'Forgive you' ? Sheesh. We're not elitist. Great you enjoyed it so much and thanks for coming here and sharing such great photos
16th July 2007 12:18 PM
Supersonic Squirrel Gazza, thank you. Good that you guys are not elitists, because it makes me sick whenever someone slags off a casual fan or a newbie on the boards of the band I follow. I always feel sad for those people, as they're, naturally, not obliged to know everything about everything and it's not their fault they were e.g. not even born 15 years ago.

Gaby, I am always happy when I find something I couldn't record myself/something I tho

Here's my video of Brown Sugar. I did not catch the bow at the end, I stopped there as I wanted to take photos of it instead. Also, same as with Sympathy For The Devil, the first couple of seconds are missing, as I needed to sort of position myself properly and set the mode dialer on my camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ3, if anyone's interested...that little thing is a miracle!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BJhdbVmB7c

I have two more clips: the band returning to the main stage and Mick saying hello to the audience in Serbian. I actually uploaded the second one almost 48 hours ago, but YouTube never finished processing it for some odd reason, I guess. Also, I'll try to figure out how to share high-quality versions of these videos; I'm guessing people would like to see those. They can even be stretched to a 17'' screen without any problems, that's how good they turned out.
16th July 2007 12:21 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
I have seen that people posted one of my video clips here, so I thought I'd log in and give you links to some more stuff as well, as well as post a review of the show (later).

Hope you guys here can forgive me for not being a die-hard fan, I went as a casual listener who was curious and I went with two die-hard fans and my mother who was one of them in her younger days.

Basically, I am still breathless. I never thought I'd witness something like this!

I basically have half of the show filmed with my camera, from the first row on the "catwalk", Ron's side...and about 6 rows from the main stage.

Thanks for sharing your great photos and clips!!
16th July 2007 12:49 PM
charlotte Thanks Supersonic Squirrel!!!!and just think, we didn't think we would get much information from the show!!!

trust me, most here are everyday brokes...you could not even pick us out of a FBI 10 most wanted list!!

except maybe gazza...and that's because he is so short...but takes full advantage of his shortness(i.e. peeking under dresses, boss doesn't even know if he is at work, ect...)

[Edited by charlotte]
16th July 2007 02:08 PM
glen759 some great photos there supersonic squirrel, thank you for sharing.

Gazza why was Mick angry with Keith?

Were you told the reason?

TIA
16th July 2007 04:07 PM
LadyJane Welcome Supersonic Squirrel and THANKS for the pics.

We at RO have a special place in our hearts for pics of this band and have found that many of our members take just as good, if not BETTER, pics that the professional photogs.

Stick around. This is a crazy, fun place.
Glad you enjoyed the show.

LJ.
16th July 2007 04:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
glen759 wrote:
some great photos there supersonic squirrel, thank you for sharing.

Gazza why was Mick angry with Keith?

Were you told the reason?

TIA

Lorenz's review on IORR - lazy git didnt post it here ;

Stones started off well with Start Me Up, but Keith had some real blackouts during You Got Me Rocking. He constantly missed chord changes or forgot what to play. Mick ran over to him and screamed something, pointing with his fingers to his head several times. But well, after a while they were smiling at each other again and the virgin crowd was mesmerized anyway!

I read the reviews here, glad everyone enjoyed it so much! I loved the show as well, but can't help mentioning that Keith wasn't exactly on fire that night. He once said that it is his fingers that remember how to play the songs - these days his fingers sometimes forget. The intro to Brown Sugar was a complete trainwreck.(can't wait for a bootleg...) It took Keith about 1 min, then he got into it, though... And it's so good to see him play JJF - he played the whole song with his eyes closed, just having this aggressive expression on his face and his guitar sounded like a chainsaw. Once he opened his eyes,looking into the crowd - a huge smile just came up on his face and he played yet more focused and concentrated. He certainly loves what he's doing, all of them do.

But they are just not getting younger and at least at this show, Keith seemed a bit off and tired. I didn't write anything about Ronnie yet, that's because I wasn't exactly impressed. But he was fine. Mick is a miracle anyway, but you all know that. Ok, all in all this review perhaps sounded too negative, but I highly enjoyed the show and loved the setlist as well. Some songs just really went great, others didn't, but I decided not to focus on the mistakes too much and I think that's the best way to enjoy the show. Keith is certainly not seriously ill or something, I think just his lifestyle is catching up with him and he aged.

16th July 2007 05:53 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:

I'll try to figure out how to share high-quality versions of these videos; I'm guessing people would like to see those. They can even be stretched to a 17'' screen without any problems, that's how good they turned out.

Wow, those are fantastic photos and videos! You bet we'd like a high-quality version...lol. Welcome, and so glad you enjoyed the show. And thanks for all those great pics and videos.
16th July 2007 07:32 PM
vedran Iva, odlicne fotke, odlicni klipovi! Bravo i hvala!
17th July 2007 02:31 PM
beleglin This was a most remarkable experience for me. I am not a die hard fan also, but having an opportunity to see one of the Rock and Roll's best was not something I wanted to miss and after this concert I know why they are called the greatest RnR band in the world.

The thing that got me off guard was how much it seemed they really live and feel that music they played. They really enjoy what they do and that made this performance for me even more special. And it's not even the biggest hits that impressed me. It was the Midnight Rambler and You can't always get ... that really got me pumped up. I never imagined that YCAGWYW can sound that good live - the studio recording has a choir and that gives it depth - but in concert the choir were all those people there and the song sounded like a miracle happening. This made me include it in my life's top songs ever heard.
The stage extending into the crowd really made it great as well. They were some 10 meters from where I was standing and I must admit that I felt as if we're in a club and the atmosphere got a lot more intimate although the songs played were more of a "rock your pants off" type.

For me it was a special experience and I have experienced rock and roll in a whole new way - the way it's meant to be played and done - ignoring all the flashy cloths changes and fireworks and a huge stage - experiencing the music being played by people that really know how to do it and enjoy doing it after so much time was what made it so pleasurable.

I must admit though that Keith had some very worrying lapses. Although he did his two solo acts almost perfect I saw him grab the railing at one point during Sympathy and Ron kicked in from that point on. Several times he let go of his guitar and you could feel the exhaustion.

For some strange reason that didn't bother me at all.

What I felt as a general emotion from the crowd was words "Thank you" being shouted all throughout the concert. The people actually applauded frantically after every song - like only happy and (dare I say) liberated people can. Living in a country that had so many bad things happen in the past 15 years made this happening an even bigger deal (or bang if you like) and has provided me and my generation (born 1977 and living in the Balkans) with a glimpse of what freedom can look like and what rock and roll can mean.

For that I thank the Rolling Stones, their music and this great event I had a privilege of attending.

I came across this board and saw this thread and just wanted to share this experience with you guys. I can see that some other people from my country posted as well and just wanted to add my two cents.

The video below is the video of the concert opening. Sorry for the terrible shaking at the end - that was me jumping like crazy and that's when I couldn't bother recording anymore.

Here are some images as well - couldn't really take many high quality ones because the crowd around me was wild and I couldn't keep my cool for long enough to concentrate on taking pictures

The stage

The crowd

Copyright body language by Sir Mick

17th July 2007 02:43 PM
GotToRollMe Beleglin, it's nice to read a review like yours from a "fresh" point of view. It sounds like you really had a blast. Thanks!

17th July 2007 05:23 PM
LadyJane What a heartfelt and touching review beleglin.
Welcome to RO and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

You humble us and remind us that we take many many things for granted.

LJ.
17th July 2007 05:49 PM
Gazza Fabulous review. Thanks.

Good to see so many new (and returning) posters from the former Yugoslavian countries over the last few days on here.

Thanks for your contributions and please stick around.
17th July 2007 06:03 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Great revie, pix and video beleglin! Thanks a lot!
17th July 2007 06:19 PM
Saint Sway WOW! I have not seen a photo of European faces looking this excited since Voodoo's "Tent" press conference photo

was this picture taken while Michael Cohl was speaking onstage?

[Edited by Saint Sway]
17th July 2007 06:32 PM
charlotte welcome beleglin!!! what a treat to see the videos and pictures from the Balkan countries...you guys have been through hell and back over the last 15 years...to now: the arrival of The Rolling Stones....thanks again and as gazza stated, stick around and be a regular to the aslyum...
18th July 2007 05:25 AM
beleglin
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
WOW! I have not seen a photo of European faces looking this excited since Voodoo's "Tent" press conference photo

was this picture taken while Michael Cohl was speaking onstage?

[Edited by Saint Sway]

Heh, this was after the Answer performed and about 45 - 60 mins before the Stones started. This is what a crowd looks like when they have walked for 2 hours to the venue and stood there for another 3 and know that for another hour or so there will be no action

Btw - I forgot to mention. One of the opening acts was Electric Orgasm ()Elektricni Orgazam) - a local group that's been around since the early 80's and has dozens of great albums and are very respected and loved by the local crowd. The frontman lives next to my best friend's mom and he told her that performing on a Rolling Stones concert was one of the greatest things that could have ever happened to him. He was like a little kid for days. Just a little local insider info

Also, I wanted to thank you for the warm welcome. You guys are great.
18th July 2007 10:38 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
beleglin wrote:
Btw - I forgot to mention. One of the opening acts was Electric Orgasm ()Elektricni Orgazam) - a local group that's been around since the early 80's and has dozens of great albums and are very respected and loved by the local crowd.

Welcome beleglin!!!

Our very own Joey is quite familiar with "electric orgasm"

in fact, look what Joey's trusty dog, Sparky, found in Joey's bedroom!!

19th July 2007 05:02 AM
YoKey Hello, boys & girls!
I just registered only wanting to place a yummy link here for all ya Stones fans out there, but then I thought hey, why not write some comments and trivia too? This was my third Stones’ concert, after Vienna ’90 & Budapest ’95. It was the first one for my wife, however, and she never stopped jumpin’, shoutin’ & clappin’ her hands throughout the gig… well, as I did, too.
Belgrade show was at first planned to be performed at the City Hippodrome (some concerts were held there over past few years) but it was changed following the protest from the local Animal Protection Society, since the management of Hippodrome announced they have nowhere to move the horses from their stables, so they would have had to sedate them, because noise would make them panic – otherwise we would have witnessed the live performance of Wild Horses, too The decision to relocate the concert place was good not only because of the animals, but because Usce Park is much better place for such events, closer to main bus and railway stations, much more parking places, and much more pleasant place to spend an afternoon and evenig at.
There is a section of this park where over past decades foreign statesmen who were visiting Serbia have been planting seedlings of trees as symbolic gesture, and this section is called Friendship Park. Serbian press reported that Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ron each planted there a seedling, prior to the gig (well, I believe they merely approved the action, I couldn’t imagine them messing with spades in the dirt) and each little tree now bears a little metal plate at its basis with a band’s member name on it. I still haven’t had time to go and check it out myself, but the rumor is that Mick’s and Charlie’s plates were already stolen by fans unknown.
During the second half of the concert Ron wore a dazzling yellow t-shirt with inscription IRON LION ZION on it, written in Iron Maiden logo font
There was a banner in the crowd saying IT’S ONLY ROCK’N’RON.
Some might disagree, but I think Ron was great that night, and the others too, although, yes, Keith appeared tired and out of focus at moments, but then other than that he was astonishing, and obviously happy and motivated. And when he addressed the virgin crowd with “Welcome to the club!” well… you should have felt that!
Mick did talk Serbian a lot to the crowd, much more than just a few words, and that was a pleasant surprise to everyone, because I believe it’s a very difficult language for a native English speaker to pronounce.
Charlie appeared very happy at the end of the gig, and then he even threw his sticks to the crowd, which I couldn’t remember he was accustomed to do.
The crowd was excited, and I believe that the band noticed it, and got inspired to do their best. Serbian internet forums are packed with hundreds (thousands?) of comments of people who attended the concert, and my humble estimate is that 99% of these are just euphoric, and much of those come from the people who were not exactly huge Stones’ fans, or just came there out of pure curiosity, and now they all tell us they’re astound and happy beyond description.
And now for the treat
2007.07.14_-_Belgrade_-_Belgrade_2007
The sound here is really bad, but hopefully some better recording will appear, because the sound on the spot was almost perfect. I say almost only because I would have appreciated it a bit louder.
Anyway, I am happy, my wife and I just grinnnnnnnnnnn for days now.
God, we want more!!!!!!!!!!
Greetz everyone!

[Edited by YoKey]
[Edited by YoKey]
[Edited by YoKey]
[Edited by YoKey]
19th July 2007 10:45 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
WOW! I have not seen a photo of European faces looking this excited since Voodoo's "Tent" press conference photo

Just one comment, remember that the infamous "tent press conference" was taken between shows and our faces show either a hang over or a cold turkey or both

See the Biggest Bang DVD to see our faces during the show, that was a great party...

19th July 2007 12:15 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:

Supersonic Squirrel- Thank you so much for sharing these with us! As you can tell, we love seeing photos and video of the shows. Thanks, also for mentioning which camera you used. I'm always curious about that when I see great photos/videos.

SV

19th July 2007 12:58 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
YoKey wrote:
Hello, boys & girls!
I just registered only wanting to place a yummy link here for all ya Stones fans out there, but then I thought hey, why not write some comments and trivia too? This was my third Stones? concert, after Vienna ?90 & Budapest ?95. It was the first one for my wife, however, and she never stopped jumpin?, shoutin? & clappin? her hands throughout the gig? well, as I did, too.
Belgrade show was at first planned to be performed at the City Hippodrome (some concerts were held there over past few years) but it was changed following the protest from the local Animal Protection Society, since the management of Hippodrome announced they have nowhere to move the horses from their stables, so they would have had to sedate them, because noise would make them panic ? otherwise we would have witnessed the live performance of Wild Horses, too The decision to relocate the concert place was good not only because of the animals, but because Usce Park is much better place for such events, closer to main bus and railway stations, much more parking places, and much more pleasant place to spend an afternoon and evenig at.
There is a section of this park where over past decades foreign statesmen who were visiting Serbia have been planting seedlings of trees as symbolic gesture, and this section is called Friendship Park. Serbian press reported that Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ron each planted there a seedling, prior to the gig (well, I believe they merely approved the action, I couldn?t imagine them messing with spades in the dirt) and each little tree now bears a little metal plate at its basis with a band?s member name on it. I still haven?t had time to go and check it out myself, but the rumor is that Mick?s and Charlie?s plates were already stolen by fans unknown.
During the second half of the concert Ron wore a dazzling yellow t-shirt with inscription IRON LION ZION on it, written in Iron Maiden logo font
There was a banner in the crowd saying IT?S ONLY ROCK?N?RON.
Some might disagree, but I think Ron was great that night, and the others too, although, yes, Keith appeared tired and out of focus at moments, but then other than that he was astonishing, and obviously happy and motivated. And when he addressed the virgin crowd with ?Welcome to the club!? well? you should have felt that!
Mick did talk Serbian a lot to the crowd, much more than just a few words, and that was a pleasant surprise to everyone, because I believe it?s a very difficult language for a native English speaker to pronounce.
Charlie appeared very happy at the end of the gig, and then he even threw his sticks to the crowd, which I couldn?t remember he was accustomed to do.
The crowd was excited, and I believe that the band noticed it, and got inspired to do their best. Serbian internet forums are packed with hundreds (thousands?) of comments of people who attended the concert, and my humble estimate is that 99% of these are just euphoric, and much of those come from the people who were not exactly huge Stones? fans, or just came there out of pure curiosity, and now they all tell us they?re astound and happy beyond description.
And now for the treat
2007.07.14_-_Belgrade_-_Belgrade_2007
The sound here is really bad, but hopefully some better recording will appear, because the sound on the spot was almost perfect. I say almost only because I would have appreciated it a bit louder.
Anyway, I am happy, my wife and I just grinnnnnnnnnnn for days now.
God, we want more!!!!!!!!!!
Greetz everyone!

[Edited by YoKey]
[Edited by YoKey]
[Edited by YoKey]
[Edited by YoKey]

Thanks for your review AND for the download, YoKey! Glad you and your wife had such a great time.
19th July 2007 03:12 PM
Gazza Ulster band enjoy 'craziest moment' on Stones' stage
Thursday, July 19, 2007

By Maureen Coleman

Ulster rockers The Answer have described their Serbian support slot with the Rolling Stones as "the craziest, most surreal rock 'n' roll moment" of their lives.

The rock band are still recovering from the gig in Belgrade at the weekend, in which they played in front of a staggering 80,000 people.

The four-piece from Downpatrick met the Stones and even joked with legendary singer Mick Jagger, who accused them of having Scottish accents.

According to The Answer's Paul Mahon, the show was the highlight of their career to date - "especially for four wide-eyed boys from Northern Ireland playing rock 'n' roll".

Speaking about the experience, Paul said: "We have played with some big bands in the last year, but the Stones are something else. When you arrive on site you realise just how big a show it is. From the size of the park to how many people are working there and it's the biggest stage you'll ever see.

"We played lots of outdoor gigs, but I remember playing the first song, looking at the crowd, the planes flying overhead and running around the stage thinking, 'Jesus, we really are outdoors here'.

"It was a complete adrenalin rush for 45 minutes."

The band's guitarist said that afterwards they met up with The Stones and discussed guitars and open tunings.

"Mick made a joke about our accents being Scottish and found it hilarious when Cormac (Neeson, lead singer) thought he was serious," he said.

"'It's just a joke man', he told us. He was in really good spirits."

Paul said the support slot would be hard to top now.

"It was probably the craziest, most surreal rock 'n' roll moment of our lives, one we'll never forget," he said.

"Then we got to watch the show from the side of the stage and this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

"Needless to say, the show was unbelievable. No other band has as many good songs as the Stones. It was everything I could imagine - and more."

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk

19th July 2007 08:45 PM
SweetVirginia Jebi si malo mater Gazza?
20th July 2007 05:45 AM
KeithRichards Thanks for that article, Gazza!
The Answer were very very good, I have to say.
20th July 2007 07:14 AM
Gazza
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Jebi si malo mater Gazza?

You what? LOL
20th July 2007 07:16 AM
Gazza
quote:
KeithRichards wrote:
Thanks for that article, Gazza!
The Answer were very very good, I have to say.

I have to confess I know nothing about them. Very glad to read they went down so well, though and that they appreciated what an honour it was.
20th July 2007 03:19 PM
Social Test
20th July 2007 03:33 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Gazza wrote:

You what? LOL

Voja told Voodoo that's how we should say FYGWY?

hee hee

21st July 2007 12:01 AM
monkeyman2 super sonic Thanks a million for the video clips and pics.
Awesome!
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)