ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Hotel Plaza - Paris October 1977 - Some Girls Sessions Round I
Pathé Marconi Studios Boulogne Billancourt
Annie Leibovitz
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Today in Stones History... Return to archive
07-25-02 03:27 PM
Scot Rocks Today in Entertainment History
Thu Jul 25, 6:35 AM ET

In 1966, guitarist Brian Jones played his last U.S. concert with the Rolling Stones, in San Francisco. Jones died in 1969.

07-25-02 03:29 PM
jb When you really think about it, Brian contributed very little to the band ...death always seems to give people a larger status than deserved...
07-25-02 03:34 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Scot Rocks wrote:
Today in Entertainment History
Thu Jul 25, 6:35 AM ET
In 1966, guitarist Brian Jones played his last U.S. concert with the Rolling Stones, in San Francisco. Jones died in 1969.

This is too funny. I read this early today, too. It's incorrect. Brian's last US show was 28th July, 1966 in Honolulu, HI. They even played a gig on the 27th. So, it was his 3rd last US concert.

Did you get this from Q107's, "today in rock"?
07-25-02 03:37 PM
sirmoonie You hit the inhaler right on the scooter there, jb! Couldn't agree more. And maybe if he hadn't spent so much time beating up his girlfriends, half the British Isles wouldn't have conspired to have him whacked.
07-25-02 03:53 PM
Scot Rocks You are right about one thing jb, premature death does seem to give people higher status, look at Diana here, that was mad hysteria. However we must not forget the contribution that Brian made to the Stones, among other things he was the one that founded them, came up with the name. He also played some great stuff and helped make some brilliant distinctive albums, such as Aftermath and songs with his way of playing and the instruments he used, like Under my thumb. Still the arrival of Mick T. definately benifited the Stones and made it possible for them to make the transition in terms of music that they needed to do and helped them make some of the best albums ever.

Mark
07-25-02 03:56 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Scot Rocks wrote:
However we must not forget the contribution that Brian made to the Stones

Absolutely! And not just the Stones. He contributed to other artists, also.
07-25-02 03:58 PM
Joey "When you really think about it, Brian contributed very little to the band ...death always seems to give people a larger status than deserved "

Agreed Josh , Brian really did not contibute much to the band and was a very very small part of their legacy . In fact , Brian Jones was a minute period piece that had no relevance to the success of today's Stones ' machine .

Joe .....

Fly .....

JoeFly !!!!!!
07-25-02 04:08 PM
jb I certainly agree that BJ was intrical in the formation and early success of the band..it's just that he seemed to have been swallowed up by Mick and Keith, and he never really recovered..just my opinion and not intended to put the guy down..may he rest in peace..
07-25-02 04:15 PM
Funky Punk Woman
quote:
jb wrote:
When you really think about it, Brian contributed very little to the band ...death always seems to give people a larger status than deserved...

Is that a joke? You ain't nothing but an ignorant loser
07-25-02 04:20 PM
Mother baby Contribution??? Persona? a certain bit of "spirit"?
[Edited by Mother baby]
07-25-02 04:24 PM
jb Wow, that was a very hostile post by "funky". I am really sorry I upset you. I guess I was way off on Brian. All I can say is that we all make mistakes and I am only human. Funky, please leave me your e-mail as I would like to personally apologize to you. Thanks!
07-25-02 04:36 PM
Funky Punk Woman Don't worry there are many Brian haters in this board, they just post bullcrap to give Miss U hard time, but now she's not in this thread that's why I replied that way

Your initials are Brian Jones' backwards, that's why you write backwards
07-25-02 04:49 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh fellows! Nay, nay.
Brian's love of the blues, and his idea to play blues, was what set the Stones apart from other young bands of the day.
The Rolling Stones would not be what they are today
Without Brian's slide leading the way.

Brian continued to further define the Rolling Stones sound by the use of multi-instrumentalism. His use of the sitar, recorder, kalimba(sp?), etc. gave the Stones songs texture, and set them apart as just a little bit better, and certainly more imaginative, than the average bear.

Then there was Brian's flair for fashion. This helped the Stones gain acceptance from the Mod's(make your scooter reference here), and also from the Jet Set Hipsters. This fueled the publicity machine that was Fucking Andrew. Brian's flash ensured that they got their pics in all the teenie bopper magazines. All of this led to the fantastic record sales(it certainly wasn't the production values!), TV appearances, and mass hysteria that dogged the Stones all over Europe, and eventually the States.

Eventually, his lack of talent as a songwriter did him in. Mick & Keef started turning out hits....and buttering Andrew's bread. Brian ended up taking a back seat....and it drove him nuts. He lost his band. But that shouldn't diminish what he did to get the Stones rolling though. Brian was responsible as much as anyone else for the Stones unique sound...the sound that set it apart from all the other wannabes, and there were a LOT of those wannabes. Sure, the Stones sound evolved after Brian left. And it evolved again after Taylor left. But make no mistake, Brian Jones left his mark on the Stones. And in my opinion, they would never have made it out of the pubs, if it hadn't been for Brian.
07-25-02 05:09 PM
Joey 'And in my opinion, they would never have made it out of the pubs, if it hadn't been for Brian. '

Oh , they would have made it out alright .......about one year earlier !

Basically , Brian Jones held the band back and prevented them from reaching success sooner . The one great tragedy is that Mick and Keith did not fire Brian in 1963 instead of 1969 .

Joe .........

Joe..........

Fly .........

Joe Fly !

Joefly !
07-25-02 05:10 PM
Sir Stonesalot Are you fucking retarded Joey?
07-25-02 05:22 PM
Joey "What? You're saying Miss U isn't normal?! "

I wouldn't say that , but her love of Brian is completely baseless . I mean , what did Brian Jones have to do with the History of a band called the " Rolling Stones " ?????

I mean , Am I missing something or what ?????????

" Help Me Ronnie ....Help Help Me Ronnie "

Snaggle Joey

07-25-02 08:16 PM
Mother baby "his lack of talent as a songwriter did him in"
Well maybe...but perhaps only in a "Stones" context. Lots of people didn't have "songwriting" skills as such...Frank Sinatra for example...

[Edited by Mother baby]
07-25-02 10:39 PM
littleredrooster You are missing a lot, Joey. Chiba had dulled your perception. Fallen into the one way dead end of drugs just like Brian did.
The truth is that there very well might never have been a band called The Rolling Stones if it wasn't for Brian.
The awestruck teens the would squeeze into the Ealing Club in west London to witness the blueswailing of Elmo Lewis.
The two teens that would keep coming back ( Jagger & Richards) mobbed Elmo and signed on to his evangeical mission--popularize the music of the black American experience. Of course Elmo Lewis quickly reverted to being just Brian Jones as he engineered the Stones' early career. This direction gave his band a distinct and unique appeal that led to technical advances and spawned the creative abandon of the Jagger/Richards songwriting team. In the beginning Brian WAS the Rolling Stones. His musical genius provided the catalyst for the band to expand, adding textures, Elizabethan madrigals, Eastern scales and avant-garde to the Stones music.
We wiil never know all of the true story of his demise, but his band has endured, and transformed themselves into what we all know as THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD.

Stick to what you know something about like Maui Wowie, Humboldt green bud, Thai sticks, and the like, then we'll listen.
07-25-02 11:17 PM
Sir Stonesalot Hey MB....just so you know, my statement about Brian's songwriting talents was indeed only meant to be taken in the context of the Rolling Stones...I wasn't making a sweeping metaphysical statement...
07-25-02 11:58 PM
complicated On a lighter note...
Bill's site www.stickyfingerscafe.uk, has Rolling Stones trivia/facts posted daily.
07-26-02 12:05 AM
complicated Sorry!! here is the right link:

http://www.stickyfingers.co.uk/
07-26-02 06:21 AM
egon sir stonesalot, one word: AMEN
07-26-02 06:25 AM
bez85 joey is a tard....

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road