ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Stade de France, St-Denis, Paris 28th July 2006
© Pierre Andrieu with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: NED KELLY Return to archive
25th July 2006 09:11 AM
BILL PERKS I SAW NED KELLY FOR THE 1ST TIME LAST NIGHT AND WHILE IT WAS AN ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE MOVIE, MICK WASNT TOO BAD.
25th July 2006 09:35 AM
F505
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
I SAW NED KELLY FOR THE 1ST TIME LAST NIGHT AND WHILE IT WAS AN ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE MOVIE, MICK WASNT TOO BAD.

You sure know that only real fans "get" Ned Kelly.
25th July 2006 09:53 AM
GotToRollMe LOL! I tuned in in the middle of it while Mick was singing "Wild Colonial Boy!" Though I've seen it several times before, I just had to keep watching. Not Mick's finest hour (in fact laughable in many places) but still fun.
25th July 2006 09:54 AM
corgi37 He wasnt bad at all. Sort of.

I believe the reason he was chosen was not because he resembled a solid, 6ft1inch, Irish boxer, horse thief murderer, but because at the time, Jagger was considered a rebel & outlaw, fighting against injustice and hypocrisy, as much as we Aussies considered Ned Kelly to be one.

It's by no means great, but it beats the shit out of the Heath Ledger crap fest from a couple of years ago. And, i might add, is much more historically accurate than the latter version.

And, the final battle was extremely well staged.

It's Jagger's beard that is the worst aspect of it all.

And, dont forget, the woman who took over Maryanne Faithfull's role was and still is, married to Gary McDonald, who portrayed a character called Norman Gunston, who was seen in the REWIND video.

Just thought i bring that up again.
[Edited by corgi37]
25th July 2006 02:49 PM
Joey
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
I SAW NED KELLY FOR THE 1ST TIME LAST NIGHT AND WHILE IT WAS AN ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE MOVIE, MICK WASNT TOO BAD.

Your avatar is ' bad ' .

JACKY !
25th July 2006 02:58 PM
Altamont When are they gonna announce the show at Omahas Qwest Center? Surely Cohl would not forsake the Joey??
25th July 2006 04:30 PM
Fiji Joe Omaha has been Wichita'ed...

25th July 2006 05:18 PM
Joey
quote:
Altamont wrote:
When are they gonna announce the show at Omahas Qwest Center? Surely Cohl would not forsake the Joey??

Nah , the band perfomed in Omaha already .....after all .... we are not greedy !!!!!

Besides .....THE WHO are coming to town this November .

YES !

|
|
|
V

www.QWESTCENTER.com

25th July 2006 05:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
He wasnt bad at all. Sort of.

I believe the reason he was chosen was not because he resembled a solid, 6ft1inch, Irish boxer, horse thief murderer, but because at the time, Jagger was considered a rebel & outlaw, fighting against injustice and hypocrisy, as much as we Aussies considered Ned Kelly to be one.

It's by no means great, but it beats the shit out of the Heath Ledger crap fest from a couple of years ago. And, i might add, is much more historically accurate than the latter version.

And, the final battle was extremely well staged.

It's Jagger's beard that is the worst aspect of it all.

And, dont forget, the woman who took over Maryanne Faithfull's role was and still is, married to Gary McDonald, who portrayed a character called Norman Gunston, who was seen in the REWIND video.

Just thought i bring that up again.

'Innaresting' summary (and I didnt know that about the great Mr Gunston's sheila). Beg to differ about the 'worst aspect' part, though. That half arsed faux-Oirish accent that comes out of his mouth is horrendous, although in fairness Tom Cruise's abortion of an effort in "Far and away" is far worse (and hes an oscar nominated actor) and makes Jagger's sound like Richard Harris by comparison
[Edited by Gazza]
25th July 2006 10:06 PM
FrankiePeppers
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

Have you seen "Freejack" lately?
25th July 2006 10:09 PM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

'Innaresting' summary (and I didnt know that about the great Mr Gunston's sheila). Beg to differ about the 'worst aspect' part, though. That half arsed faux-Oirish accent that comes out of his mouth is horrendous, although in fairness Tom Cruise's abortion of an effort in "Far and away" is far worse (and hes an oscar nominated actor) and makes Jagger's sound like Richard Harris by comparison
[Edited by Gazza]

Ron Howard's biggest bomb!
25th July 2006 10:16 PM
not bound to please
quote:
FrankiePeppers wrote:

I try to avoid it like dog shit on the sidewalk.

Ted Turner must have a fetish for Ned Kelley. It's on TNT all the time.

I do like the wrestling scene though.
25th July 2006 10:19 PM
Taptrick

It is said that rapper "Nelly" took his name from the movie "Ned Kelley", of which he has been a lifelong fan.

26th July 2006 07:18 AM
corgi37 John Jarratt, who played the baddie in "Wolf Creek" was the best Ned Kelly, in a tv mini-series about 12 years ago.

Our movie industry in late 60's was nil existant. For better or worse, Roeg's Ned Kelly kick started our industry. Again.

As you should all know, we actually invented moving pictures. Sort of. The worlds 1st full length movie was "Soldiers of the cross" (Circa 1901). The 2nd??? Why, Ned Kelly of course!! Only about 7 seconds remain of the latter.

From the 20's to late 30's, Oz cinema was flourishing here. Actors like Errol, Peter Finch, Cecil Hardwicke, Bud Tingwell and many more were huge. But, American interests began buying our cinemas, and insisted on showing only U.S. movies. After WW2, our industry was shot. Superb films like "20 thousand horse-men" were like the swan song. If you havent seen this movie, try to do so. The "Charge" at the end was truly gob-smacking.

After Jagger's Kelly, Australians decided, after so long, that they liked seeing familiar actors on the big screen and hearing our accents. The 50's - 60's was dominated by other people's view on us, like Sundowners & On the beach.

Barry Humphries (Dame Edna) kicked things along with "Adventures of Barry McKenzie" circa 1971. Other films like Stork, Alvin Purple, Sunday too far away, Picnic at Hanging Rock & Getting of wisdom led to a resurgence. Also, after 17 years of conservative Govt which ended in 1972, the Oz film industry got assistance.

Things jumped up considerably when Mad Max came out. Peterson, The last wave, Dogs in space, Crocodile Dundee. Love and other catastophes, Running on empty, all led to stuff like Babe, Lantana, Two Hands, Wolf Creek, and now, Jindabyne.

In turn, our expertice (and crappy dollar!) ensured many, many movies were made here, like the last 2 Star Wars movies, House of wax, Scooby Doo, Salems Lot, and the current Superman among so many others. The upcoming Stephen King's Nightmares & Dreamscapes was filmed right in Melbourne.

Though, alot of absolute crap has been made by us. Houseboat horror, Turkey shoot and so many others were just insults. More accurately, they were tax evasion scams.

Sadly, many inner city, lefty, Chardonnay sipping, self-reflection, "whiteys are all pricks" type movies are made. With Gov't assistance. And they are lucky to earn enough to cover catering costs. As an example of how bad things have been lately, "SAW" was knocked back for assistance as it wasnt considered worthy! The director and lead actor are Aussies. They wrote the script too. They had to go to America.

They are now worth about $100mill each!

So, when you think of it, Jagger helped re-ignite our industry. If only because he played a national anti-hero, and many people were pissed off a skinny, pale "Pom" played it.
[Edited by corgi37]
26th July 2006 07:47 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Our movie industry in late 60's was nil existant. For better or worse, Roeg's Ned Kelly kick started our industry. Again.

Nick Roeg directed "Performance". "Kelly" was directed by the late Tony Richardson (husband of Vanessa Redgrave, and dad of Natasha and Joely Richardson).

Now you mention it, Nicholas Roeg being let loose on a Ned Kelly bio could have been quite something!

Didnt know there was a film made in 1906 of Ned Kelly. Found this on IMDB.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353789/#comment
[Edited by Gazza]
26th July 2006 08:46 AM
Bruno The fight sequence with Mick and his friend is funny.
26th July 2006 11:25 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
FrankiePeppers wrote:

ANYTHING WITH ANTHONY HOPKINS IS GOOD
27th July 2006 09:34 PM
Jair Hey, check it out what I just found in my "arquives".

I cant remember if the movie is good or not cuz I was too wasted, but I did remember to steal a banner of the movie. Smart, huh???

In Portuguese, the movie title is something like "The Scaffold will be Your Reward". Mmmmmmmm....

27th July 2006 11:57 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Didnt know there was a film made in 1906 of Ned Kelly. Found this on IMDB.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353789/#comment
[Edited by Gazza]

You never know, nitrate films show up in attics every so often. Most of them combusted though - that's why most films before safety stock are lost.

28th July 2006 12:26 AM
CraigP WE'RE THE KELLYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
28th July 2006 12:26 AM
CraigP WE'RE THE KELLYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
28th July 2006 12:54 AM
corgi37 Roeg directed Kelly! hahaha - sorry.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)