ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Stade de France, St-Denis, Paris 28th July 2006
© Pierre Andrieu with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The least boring warhorse Return to archive Page: 1 2
25th July 2006 11:21 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves JJF never tires for me.
MU, SFTD, BS, TD can go...........
26th July 2006 12:15 AM
Lethargy My all time favorite Stones song is actually a warhorse (or at least a 2nd tier warhorse): MIDNIGHT RAMBLER. I always love it, all eras, almost all versions, even the ones with Chuck on the keys.
26th July 2006 12:19 AM
ShaneJazz I agree with Lethargy. Midnight Rambler is never anything less than a showstopper. For a warhorse I would like to see go: Tumbling Dice. Never did it for me, but I know a lot of you guys love it, so I am glad they still play it.
26th July 2006 12:23 AM
lonecrapshooter yeah we love it awlright the quintessential stones song
26th July 2006 12:24 AM
Altamont
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
My all time favorite Stones song is actually a warhorse (or at least a 2nd tier warhorse): MIDNIGHT RAMBLER. I always love it, all eras, almost all versions, even the ones with Chuck on the keys.

I agree with you there. Though it's not my absolute favorite Stones song, it is the song that has been consistently played great live in all eras.
26th July 2006 01:01 AM
mmdog
Gazza said it in another thread, that no song should be untouchable. I agree with that. However I am always glad to hear JJF, and I will be the person to buck the trend of this thread, Start Me Up.
26th July 2006 01:06 AM
Gimme Shelter IMHO there is no boring Stones song no matter how many times I've heard it.
26th July 2006 03:38 AM
Jumacfly JJF is the best WH, and I tell you why: there s in this song a great intensity you can't find on SMU or MU.
most of the post 81 versions of WH are...lame, with a few exeptions..
26th July 2006 05:09 AM
Gazza
quote:
Spru wrote:
The absolute least boring to me is JJF. It still rocks hard live and is a much better opener than SMU for this tour.

I think its consistently been the best song to open a Stones show, ever since 1969. It still works very well too. I enjoy it much better as an opener than when they play it at the end of a show and drag the arse out of it.

I'd like to hear them play the intro like they do on the original record, however. Ive never understood why they never do
26th July 2006 07:37 AM
NHStonesfan They should start the mini tour setlist with Get ya ya's in order, complete, throw in some new songs, a Keith set, Sway, something from GHS (Dancing with Mr D.) and end I suppose with War horses not on Get Ya ya yas.............
26th July 2006 07:49 AM
Jumacfly IMHO the main problem is more a pb of structure than a pb of setlist..
you know it will begin with 1 or 2 WH, then 2 rockers, 2 ballads, a special song for the sidemen, the Keith set, then the b stage and the same end since 1981.
Why not beginning on the B stage or something like that??
Lack of imagination...except to steal your money
26th July 2006 09:56 AM
JuanTCB Definitely JJF, though BS and SMU always surprise me live - I dread seeing them on setlists yet always enjoy the hell out of 'em when I'm at the show.

Satisfaction is what it is - the greatest rock n' roll song ever. It's always a privelige to hear it played by the original artist, so that one will always get a pass. Doesn't hurt that it's been the best-played warhorse on the last few tours, either, in my opinion. After years of crap versions, it's seemed really fresh and reborn post-"can you hit me 1 time!".

Miss You is totally played out and Tumblin' Dice is not a song that benefits from going through the motions - the best versions of TD almost have a gospel fell to them, which is totally lost if the song is just given lip service in the set.

I can't rate YCAGWTW objectively as, for some reason, the song has never really done it for me in any form.
26th July 2006 10:30 AM
F505
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
IMHO the main problem is more a pb of structure than a pb of setlist..
you know it will begin with 1 or 2 WH, then 2 rockers, 2 ballads, a special song for the sidemen, the Keith set, then the b stage and the same end since 1981.
Why not beginning on the B stage or something like that??
Lack of imagination...except to steal your money

Agree. Maybe start with something more surprising. Not Fade Away was a nice starter. They also should reconsider to put one album in the spotlights and play 5 or 6 songs from it (as they did in arenas during the Flicks Tour). One evening they could do Aftermath another evening Let It Bleed, Out Of Our Heads or Black and Blue, you name it.
Keith should not play a set, one song is enough. Warhorses should be stripped down to their essence. And last but not least: get rid of all the sidemen and women who are crowding the stage since 1989.
26th July 2006 01:07 PM
IanBillen
Gazza Wrote:

"I'd like to hear them play the intro like they do on the original record, however. Ive never understood why they never do"

I think because it may not hit as hard as the way they do it now. Also it could be a lack-luster rendition compared to how the record sounds. In other words it may dull the beginning a little. So I think they just jump right into it.

Ian
26th July 2006 01:15 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Gazza Wrote:

"I'd like to hear them play the intro like they do on the original record, however. Ive never understood why they never do"

I think because it may not hit as hard as the way they do it now. Also it could be a lack-luster rendition compared to how the record sounds. In other words it may dull the beginning a little. So I think they just jump right into it.

Ian

theres nothing dull about the intro on the original

dah dah dah duh duh dah
"WHATCH IT!!!!"
Bomp bah bah ba na na ba na na
26th July 2006 05:39 PM
mmdog
Gazza and Sway,

You guys dig the couple of cracks they took at the JJF intro in the '89 rehearsals? I think it's attempted at the pre tour gig also.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)