ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Stade de France, St-Denis, Paris 28th July 2006
© Pierre Andrieu with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The least boring warhorse Return to archive Page: 1 2
25th July 2006 08:59 AM
F505 Of all the warhorses played ad nauseam Sympathy for the Devil is the only song I can hear a thousand times without getting bored. Especially Brown Sugar, JJF, Satisfaction, Tumbling Dice and Start me Up don't do the trick for me anymore.
25th July 2006 09:03 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl JJF, TF and specially SFTD will always be more than welcome for me, none of them is boring. Brown Sugar must be more crude, like the studio version
25th July 2006 09:09 AM
F505
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
JJF, TF and specially SFTD will always be more than welcome for me, none of them is boring. Brown Sugar must be more crude, like the studio version

Hi Voodoo, I don't mean the songs ARE boring but some of them I heard too often live...
25th July 2006 09:09 AM
Honky Tonk Man Start Me Up and Honky Tonk Woman are the only two warhorses I think sound a little tired.
25th July 2006 09:12 AM
BILL PERKS TUMBLIN DICE IS THE ONLY ONE OF THESE THAT I STILL ENJOY
25th July 2006 09:19 AM
LadyJane I could survive without TD and SMU.

LJ.

25th July 2006 09:26 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I could survive without TD and SMU.

LJ.

Agreed on Tumbling Dice. I'd forgotten that one. I'd of thought everyone here is a little bored of Start Me Up. Thats not the songs fault, that the STONES fault. They play it in their sleep. No effort goes into it whatsover and it's a shame because it's such a great track.
25th July 2006 09:28 AM
Lazy Bones I think if they move them around in the set a bit they may be a tad more tolerable. 'Dice' and IORR always appear early in the set and the rest appear from the b-stage to the end of the show.

Open with Sympathy, Gimme Shelter or Rambler a bit to mix up the set and the usual expectations.

I think the lay-out of the set is boring and repetitious, not necessarily the songs.
25th July 2006 09:30 AM
PartyDoll MEG JJF for sure!!... followed closely by Sympathy

25th July 2006 09:30 AM
Joey

I.O.R.R. is the MOST boring warhorse ... but the kids love it .
25th July 2006 09:33 AM
F505
quote:
Joey wrote:

I love your kitten
25th July 2006 09:50 AM
glencar Tumbling Dice is the one I most enjoy. I actually do a little "dance in my pants" when I hear it!
25th July 2006 09:50 AM
gimmekeef They need to shorten them all...the 7 minute version of Brown Sugar gets tedious.A stripped down 4 min version would likely sound renewed...Drop in some quick 3 min songs to liven the pace...like:

Let It Rock
All Down The Line
Rocks Off
Bitch
Under My Thumb
Spider And Fly

25th July 2006 09:55 AM
Gazza the best version theyve done of Brown Sugar since the mid 70's was the rendition at Juilliard. It was absolutely superb and proved that even though the sax on the original record is what makes it memorable for many people, they can still nail it in a stripped down version without it and without the song being stretched out into the obligatory stadium singalong. They should take more chances with the arrangements of some old songs in this way.

To answer the question - Sympathy. Never fails to impress at any show I've ever been at. I dont consider Gimme Shelter or Midnight Rambler to be 'warhorses'.
25th July 2006 10:04 AM
Paranoid_Android SFTD is always welcome...I have really enjoyed it so much since 1989...and the 1999 tour version was incredible.

START ME UP should be retired YESTERDAY...and Satisfaction can really be updated and stripped down too...and played seldom...to make it special again!!!
25th July 2006 10:07 AM
Jumping Jack Gimmekeef, you are exactly right. The shortage of ADTL, Bitch, LWM, RO, and other rockers they were doing in the States would help pick up the pass.
25th July 2006 10:08 AM
F505 One of my favorite versions of Sympathy is the one of the Bridges of Babylon tour when they walked down from the B-stage with the long piano and congas intro.
25th July 2006 10:10 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I dont consider Gimme Shelter or Midnight Rambler to be 'warhorses'.

True, Gary. But when you talk about warhorses, of course you're talking about setlist selection. My point about warhorses and why we classify them has warhorses, imo, has much to do with the repetitious lay-out of setlists.

By simply rearranging songs like GS and MR, the set has a different, refreshing appeal.

Of course, I'm not directly answering the thread question, but I feel a little change could indirectly change opinions of warhorses.
25th July 2006 11:01 AM
F505 Keith at his best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmldItouGH8&search=rolling%20stones%20sympathy
25th July 2006 11:09 AM
RollingstonesUSA 1.Satisfaction
2.Tumbling Dice
3.All Down The Line
4.Oh No, Not You Again
5.Bitch
6.Rough Justice
7.Streets Of Love
8.Under My Thumb
9.Rocks Off
10.Street Fighting Man(Introductions)
11.Infamy(Keith)
12.Before They Make Me Run(Keith)
13.Miss You(To B-Stage)
14.Under The Radar(B-Stage)
15.Let It Rock(B-Stage)
16.Honky Tonk Women(Back To Main Stage)
17.Out Of Control
18.Brown Sugar
19.Jumpin' Jack Flash
"ENCORE"
20.Midnight Rambler
21.It's Only Rock 'N' Roll
25th July 2006 12:34 PM
the good
quote:
Joey wrote:

Agreed.
25th July 2006 12:46 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
14.Under The Radar(B-Stage)

i'd welcome that!
25th July 2006 05:43 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Joey wrote:

PETE'S KIDS?
25th July 2006 06:59 PM
Saint Sway retire:
IORR
MU

play only occassionally (rotate):
Satisfaction
SMU
BS
TD
HTW
PIB

play every show:
SFTD
YCAGWYW
GS
MR
JJF

return into the set:
SFM
MM

make these songs warhorses:
Had It With You
Slave
Salt Of The Earth
25th July 2006 08:01 PM
Soldatti SFTD needs a rest during some shows, Miss You needs a permanent rest.
25th July 2006 08:06 PM
Gazza Miss You needs to be taken outside and put to sleep!
25th July 2006 08:15 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Miss You needs to be taken outside and put to sleep!

I'll help you!!!!
25th July 2006 09:13 PM
glencar Actually I'd like to see YCAGWYW put out to pasture along with Miss You. They ahve so many wonderful ballads but can really only play 2 or 3 pershow & I'm tired of YCAGWYW. I'm even tired of typing YCAGWYW out!
25th July 2006 10:39 PM
Spru The absolute least boring to me is JJF. It still rocks hard live and is a much better opener than SMU for this tour.
25th July 2006 10:45 PM
Paranoid_Android SMU just plain sucks all around...it's a totally contrived opener...and just a lousy excuse to get those middle-aged radio-single-fans to sing-a-long
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)