ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Stade de France, St-Denis, Paris 28th July 2006
© Pierre Andrieu with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: American writers? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
24th July 2006 01:05 PM
jb Red, White & Liberal: How Left Is Right & Right Is Wrong
by Alan Colmes
24th July 2006 01:19 PM
jb Liberalism is a Mental Disorder: Savage Solutions (Hardcover)
by Michael Savage
24th July 2006 01:30 PM
sirmoonie Alan Dershowitz ("Dersh") has written some really good books about the workings of the American legal system, in particular, the Constitutional aspects and policies that make up American criminal law. He is Jewish.
24th July 2006 01:34 PM
jb
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Alan Dershowitz ("Dersh") has written some really good books about the workings of the American legal system, in particular, the Constitutional aspects and policies that make up American criminal law. He is Jewish.

Is he a Zionist, like me????
24th July 2006 01:35 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
jb wrote:

Is he a Zionist, like me????

I think he is.
24th July 2006 01:37 PM
jb
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I think he is.

He did a nice job on that Sony Von Bulow appeal.
24th July 2006 01:37 PM
sirmoonie Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird

Also, one of the best black American authors is John Edgar Wideman who wrote, among other things, Brothers and Keepers. Hardly anyone has ever heard of him. He is black.
24th July 2006 01:38 PM
jb Gore Vidal.
24th July 2006 01:38 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
jb wrote:

He did a nice job on that Sony Von Bulow appeal.

Claus von Bulow. Yes, that was amazing appellate work. He did well for O.J. too, probably the only one on that "Dream Team" who knew what the hell they were doing.
24th July 2006 01:41 PM
jb
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Claus von Bulow. Yes, that was amazing appellate work. He did well for O.J. too, probably the only one on that "Dream Team" who knew what the hell they were doing.

As a trial lawyer, I was not impressed with Johnny Cochran...that stuff would not work on a mainstream jury down here. I am, however, impressed with Roy Black and Benjamin Brofman(great fucking atty).
24th July 2006 01:59 PM
sirmoonie Another great book is A Hero Ain't Nothing But A Sandwich, by Alice Childress - much of it is written in Ebonics, which is a variant of English, not sure if you need to learn that for your new job.
24th July 2006 02:03 PM
Egbert
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Another great book is A Hero Ain't Nothing But A Sandwich, by Alice Childress - much of it is written in Ebonics, which is a variant of English, not sure if you need to learn that for your new job.

Outside of Oakland, no.
24th July 2006 02:09 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Outside of Oakland, no.

Harlem, I believe. Ebonics is spoken across the country, its only taught in schools in the Oakland area.
24th July 2006 02:12 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves Groucho Marx wrote several hilarious books!
24th July 2006 02:14 PM
Egbert
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Harlem, I believe. Ebonics is spoken across the country, its only taught in schools in the Oakland area.

I'm down wit dat.
24th July 2006 02:15 PM
pdog Peter Bagges "Hate" comic! American literature at its best!
Buddy Bradley rocks ass!

24th July 2006 02:30 PM
Trey Krimsin
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
I can't believe I forgot Hunter S. Thompson!

Start with "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and take it from there!

I haven't read that yet, but I'd like to read it soon. If you've read it, what did you think of Fear and Loathing '72: On The Campaign Trail? I bought it a while back, but haven't started it yet, since I'm reading 1984 for the third time.
24th July 2006 02:36 PM
caro Lol, that was fast! Thanks a lot everyone -- I'll make an extensive trip to an american library to check them all out.
Nasty, I'm very tempted to read another Philip Roth novel right away, but since everyone says he's been writing the same story in every one of his books, I'm afraid it would dilute the one I just finished.
Moonie, I'll definitely buy some Salinger books. I read Franny and Zooey in french, & found it was great but a little frustrating too, kind of like a long novel squeezed into 2 short stories. The "It's a wise child!" phrase keeps cracking me up, though!
About my new job -- it's mostly translating financial stuff. I have zero experience in that field, but in honour of my newlyfound solvability, I decided that I liked it. In fact it's kind of fun discovering the 1001 weird ways for a bank to make money off of money!
24th July 2006 02:38 PM
texile fitzgerald
steinbeck's short stories
poe
tennessee williams
and than hunter and lester

24th July 2006 02:38 PM
ListenToTheLion Don't forget:

25th July 2006 05:08 AM
Dick Bush
A bunch of Papa's impersonators here:

mms://wmscnn.stream.aol.com.edgestreams.net/cnn/offbeat/2006/07/24/svo.hemingway.contest.reut.ws.wmv#0;1.000;0;0;1:2;2:2
25th July 2006 08:08 AM
Ronnie Richards Read everything Chandler and Steinbeck wrote, but also:

Don DeLillo - Underworld
Johnatan Frantzen - The Corrections
25th July 2006 08:11 AM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
caro wrote:
Since I know for a fact that all RO members have great taste, I thought I might as well ask here...
I recently started a new job where I'm supposed to speak english fluently. My english skills being still a bit shaky (after accidentally using some expressions learnt at RO in front of my boss, I decided that I better upgrade from internet english to business english real fast), I'm gonna try to read plenty of american books in the next months. Anyone got suggestions?
So far, I've only read ultrafamous stuff : Jack Kerouac (nice, but you'd probably have to know the cities&places he mentions in his books to really appreciate it), Burroughs' Naked Lunch (some very cool parts, some stuff that I didn't get at all), John Steinbeck's East of Eden (absolutely great, what a simple & laconic way to scare the shit out of a reader!) Tennessee Williams (too much psychological dissection for me), Paul Auster & Siri Hustvedt, John Updike's The Centaur (I loved that one - an idealist & depressed centaur working as a teacher, making out with Venus in the girls' locker room, wearing stupid wool caps..) Oh, and I just finished I Married a Communist by Philip Roth, which I thought was very cool too.

Why only American novels?
(And not from other English-speaking countries?)
25th July 2006 08:21 AM
Zulu Fun Mix Read Sinclair Lewis, the first American ever to win a Nobel Prize for Literature (1930). Start with *Babbitt* then proceed to *Main Street*. Hysterically funny and critical takes on American culture. Even though the books were written in the 1920s, many of the characters will remind you of people who post on Rocks Off.
25th July 2006 09:55 AM
corgi37 Anne Coulter!
25th July 2006 01:26 PM
caro
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
Why only American novels?
(And not from other English-speaking countries?)

There's no real reason, except that I know as good as nothing about american authors, while english books for example are a bit more familiar to me.
25th July 2006 07:25 PM
Cactus Ed Ed Abbey of course.
25th July 2006 08:14 PM
texile
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
Read everything Chandler and Steinbeck wrote, but also:

Don DeLillo - Underworld
Johnatan Frantzen - The Corrections

i loved delillo's libra...
got me into the whole kennedy saga.
25th July 2006 09:36 PM
stonedinaustralia as a short trousered youngster i read "tom sawyer" and "huckleberry finn" more times than i can remember - funny to re-read them now as much of the humour and attitude of the works is pitched an adult level

then as a drug addled 17 year old i devoured as much of Hunter Thompson as i could get me hands on - i must have read "vegas" more than a dozen times

in line with those two i would also recommend H.L.Mencken i've not read a lot but what i have is excellent

"Gatsby" is a great novel "american" or otherwise tho other work of fitzgerald i have found less inspiring

Mailer has his moments (imho) - tho for me a lot depends on the subject matter - so i particulalrly like "the fight" (about the Ali/Foreman box out in Kinshasa)

Tom Wolfe's "the right stuff" is another one that warranted more than one read

25th July 2006 10:21 PM
not bound to please If you don't mind the Irish - I'd suggest you read Finnegans Wake. Your boss will love you.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)