ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Stade de France, St-Denis, Paris 28th July 2006
© Pierre Andrieu with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: American writers? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
23rd July 2006 06:51 AM
caro Since I know for a fact that all RO members have great taste, I thought I might as well ask here...
I recently started a new job where I'm supposed to speak english fluently. My english skills being still a bit shaky (after accidentally using some expressions learnt at RO in front of my boss, I decided that I better upgrade from internet english to business english real fast), I'm gonna try to read plenty of american books in the next months. Anyone got suggestions?
So far, I've only read ultrafamous stuff : Jack Kerouac (nice, but you'd probably have to know the cities&places he mentions in his books to really appreciate it), Burroughs' Naked Lunch (some very cool parts, some stuff that I didn't get at all), John Steinbeck's East of Eden (absolutely great, what a simple & laconic way to scare the shit out of a reader!) Tennessee Williams (too much psychological dissection for me), Paul Auster & Siri Hustvedt, John Updike's The Centaur (I loved that one - an idealist & depressed centaur working as a teacher, making out with Venus in the girls' locker room, wearing stupid wool caps..) Oh, and I just finished I Married a Communist by Philip Roth, which I thought was very cool too.
23rd July 2006 07:06 AM
Ten Thousand Motels How about Stephen King?

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
23rd July 2006 07:16 AM
caro I'm not really into horror novels, but that cover looks nice!
23rd July 2006 07:20 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
caro wrote:
I'm not really into horror novels, but that cover looks nice!

I'm not either, I've never read Stephen King novel, even though I read a book of his short stories when he used the psuedonym of Bachman, Richard I think but not sure. My aunt on the other hand has read most of his books.

BTW He's written some that aren't horror like Delores Clayborn....I thinks the title.
23rd July 2006 08:41 AM
RollingstonesUSA Philip K. Dick, great writer!
23rd July 2006 09:07 AM
corgi37 Stephen King is to writing what the Stones are to rock.

Over paid, over lauded, over rated.

And neither has done anything worthwhile for years.

Fuck, did i just write that?
[Edited by corgi37]
23rd July 2006 09:20 AM
Dick Bush Great american novelists, there are many of them, however, the best stuff I've ever read on american english still are Art Buchwald's columns from Washington Post - from my point of view, the best ever written humor - after Mark Twain, of course. I think I've actually learned english due to his perpetual columns.

If you really are into the great american novels, you might try the U.S.A. -trilogy of John Dos Passos - you'll not only improve your english, you'll get how the west was won & how the states were built up

There's really more I would have to tell you, but right now I'm going to see few guys - profession: "looking busy" - in the NRG-Arena in Cologne, where they usualy make their best venues in Germany!

23rd July 2006 09:23 AM
lotsajizz Updike
23rd July 2006 09:36 AM
Ten Thousand Motels James Clavell

His novel "WHIRLWIND" is good, I couldn't put it down even though its lenghty....set in Iran during the Revolution when the Ayatolla took over.

TAIPAN is good too.

A lot of his novels are interconnected.....

(But I think he's English)

Wait.... I guess he's an Aussie.

Wait again..he became a naturalized American citizen in 1963.

Anyway....here's the facts on him if anyone's interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Clavell

23rd July 2006 10:04 AM
Taptrick
I've been reading a lot of Sandra Cisneros lately. A wonderful writer with great sexual tones:

24th July 2006 03:01 AM
keefjunkie J.K Rowling.
24th July 2006 08:20 AM
Zack Hi Caro.

Try The Magus by John Fowles.
24th July 2006 08:29 AM
Jumacfly Lester Bangs!!! priceless!
24th July 2006 08:54 AM
glencar Hemingway, Updike, Fitzgerald. For detective fiction, arthur lyons.
24th July 2006 09:06 AM
Jumacfly Dont forget one of the masters: James Ellroy.
24th July 2006 09:31 AM
Trey Krimsin Kurt Vonnegut
24th July 2006 09:43 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:
J.K Rowling.

She's English. I have, however, read recently how some people have used the Potter books as tools to learn english.
24th July 2006 09:44 AM
GotToRollMe Henry Miller:

Tropic of Capricorn
Tropic of Cancer
Nexus
Sexus
Plexus

He's written a lot more, but those are the biggies. Probably my all-time favorite writer.

And as Trey mentioned above, Kurt Vonnegut. Great stuff.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
24th July 2006 09:46 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Dont forget one of the masters: James Ellroy.

James Ellroy rules!
24th July 2006 11:07 AM
Paranoid_Android You should read The NEW YORKER magazine...simply the best in fiction...news clips, article of interest, arts, and GREAT COMIC PANELS!!!

Also, while the list of books you have read is rather impressive, I can understand any difficulty you may have had w/ them...you should try reading about things you enjoy...film, music, travel, cars, etc...instead of what you think you SHOULD read...have a dictionary handy...circle and look up the words you dont know and learn them by using them that day!

Remember...THE NEW YORKER is GREAT!!!

I just got rid of alot of back issues...it comes out weekly, so I am sure if you ask, folks would send you a handfull of recent issues.
[Edited by Paranoid_Android]
24th July 2006 11:15 AM
Nasty Habits If you enjoyed the Philip Roth, I can tell you that I just finished American Pastoral and it was absolutely amazing.

I would also recommend, off the top of my head, Nathaniel West's Day of the Locust, Philip K. Dick's fascinating, barely sci-fi Transmigration of Timothy Archer, Raymond Chandler's The Long Goodbye, Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian, and Oakley Hall's WARLOCK (an obscurity and it's terrific).

24th July 2006 11:42 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

She's English. I have, however, read recently how some people have used the Potter books as tools to learn english.

A Chinese friend of mine learned English by watching Mr. Rogers and Seasame Street. NPR found this out in an interview with her - and got them to speak together. Fred Rogers was floored. She said he was a really nice guy.
24th July 2006 11:57 AM
ListenToTheLion Please also read Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove)
24th July 2006 12:39 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
caro wrote:
I'm not really into horror novels, but that cover looks nice!

Read everything by J.D. Salinger.
24th July 2006 12:43 PM
sirmoonie Also read A Fan's Notes by Frederick Exley.

The greatest book ever written in English is Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, but you may find it difficult to understand.
24th July 2006 12:43 PM
GotToRollMe I can't believe I forgot Hunter S. Thompson!

Start with "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and take it from there!
24th July 2006 12:46 PM
Fiji Joe I would recommend Twain but, for your purposes, I just think that would screw you up...what with all the negroes in his books
24th July 2006 12:50 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
I would recommend Twain but, for your purposes, I just think that would screw you up...what with all the negroes in his books

Tue dat, but the "N word" may be an important piece of vocab for her to possess. Depends where her new job is, I suppose.
24th July 2006 12:57 PM
jb Bill O'Reiley "The Factor For Kids".
24th July 2006 01:02 PM
Honky Tonk Man I've read lots of Stephen King novels. He's always been one of my favourites. He's not considered to be one of the literary greats, but he's one of the most fantastic storytellers. I haven’t read any of his more recent works, but having read recent reviews, it would suggest he's lost his touch since his days of drinking and drug taking. Most of his early novels (Carrie, Salems Lot etc) were written with a bottle of whisky for constant company.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)