ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang
A Bigger Bang

Thanks to Fortylicksfanclub
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I'm a Stones n00b, and I have a few questions... Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 25th, 2005 03:33 PM
Rolling Beatle Okay, I've only been a Stones fan since about Christmas, when I got 40 Licks. Since, I've gotten Hot Rocks and I'm going to grab Jump Back anyday now.

I'm a huge Beatles fan, and it was the Beatles that got me into the Stones in the first place. I have a few questions.

1. The upcoming world tour is really depressing. When it was first announced I considered going to the Soldier Field show, but the date sort of conflicted with other things and I didn't know if I wanted to pay $60 to sit a mile away from them in a stadium--being only 16, my wallet was already feeling a little thin after buying McCartney tickets. So I figured, I'll wait for a second leg.

I didn't find out about the United Center show until a few days ago. All there is left in my price range are tickets that are pretty much behind the stage. : (

Do you think this will be the last Stones tour? I really hope not, as I'd really like to see THE ROLLING STONES sometime in my life. They're one of the acts on my list to see.

2. What are the "essential" Stones albums? There are so many, and I really don't know where to start. Keep in mind that I'm a huge Beatlemaniac. I really like most of the first disc of Hot Rocks, but I think I really like all of the Stones' stuff I've heard so far. But a lot of the stuff on disc 1 of HR really reminds me of the Beatles...

I've heard that their albums didn't really become true "albums" (not just a collection of songs) until Beggars Banquet. I really am not much of a fan of Street Fighting Man and Sympathy, and those are the only two I've heard from the album. Let It Bleed through Exile is really interesting me, though.

But what about the pre-Banquet stuff? Which ones are good to get?

Thanks a lot.
July 25th, 2005 03:40 PM
Joey
quote:
Rolling Beatle wrote:
Okay, I've only been a Stones fan since about Christmas, when I got 40 Licks. Since, I've gotten Hot Rocks and I'm going to grab Jump Back anyday now.

I'm a huge Beatles fan, and it was the Beatles that got me into the Stones in the first place. I have a few questions.

1. The upcoming world tour is really depressing. When it was first announced I considered going to the Soldier Field show, but the date sort of conflicted with other things and I didn't know if I wanted to pay $60 to sit a mile away from them in a stadium--being only 16, my wallet was already feeling a little thin after buying McCartney tickets. So I figured, I'll wait for a second leg.

I didn't find out about the United Center show until a few days ago. All there is left in my price range are tickets that are pretty much behind the stage. : (

Do you think this will be the last Stones tour? I really hope not, as I'd really like to see THE ROLLING STONES sometime in my life. They're one of the acts on my list to see.

2. What are the "essential" Stones albums? There are so many, and I really don't know where to start. Keep in mind that I'm a huge Beatlemaniac. I really like most of the first disc of Hot Rocks, but I think I really like all of the Stones' stuff I've heard so far. But a lot of the stuff on disc 1 of HR really reminds me of the Beatles...

I've heard that their albums didn't really become true "albums" (not just a collection of songs) until Beggars Banquet. I really am not much of a fan of Street Fighting Man and Sympathy, and those are the only two I've heard from the album. Let It Bleed through Exile is really interesting me, though.

Thanks a lot.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 25th, 2005 03:40 PM
nankerphelge This will likely be their last tour in the traditional Stonesian style. Get to a show son!

As for good Stones stuff, Beggars, Let it Bleed, Exile and Sticky Fingers are typically considered their best work.

Pre Beggars, try Aftermath and Between the Buttons.
Post Beggars, try Some Girls and Tattoo You.

That ought to keep you busy!
And hopefully clean all that Beatles outta yer skull!

July 25th, 2005 03:44 PM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
And hopefully clean all that Beatles outta yer skull!

[Edited by Joey]
July 25th, 2005 03:46 PM
dkmonroe Truly essential pre-Beggars Stones are:

12X5
The Rolling Stones, Now! - both are great examples of early, bluesy, R&B Stones. Fascinating contrast to the Beatles output of that era.

Aftermath - The Stones' most progressive pop album.

If you have these and Hot Rocks, you have the definitive early Stones.

However, I hope that you get so hooked that you also get:

England's Newest Hitmakers - no comment necessary!

Out Of Our Heads - Unique, R&B Soul Stones.

Between The Buttons - Aftermath on acid

Satanic Majesties - Between The Buttons on STP.

Everything from Beggars Banquet to Goats Head Soup is, of course, mandatory.

Happy listening!
July 25th, 2005 06:05 PM
kath greatest hitmakers for sure!!! that's a must. sooo good.

must have Let it Bleed! must have that one. best rock and roll album EVER made, by anyone!

exile on main street. crucial.

beggar's banquet. sublime.

and yeah, i think it'll be the last tour. but i know a lot of people who had KILLER seats behind the stage on last tour> they usually put a ramp up there and mick will cruise it, keith does too. and watching charli'es little butt for a couple hours is worth every penny of 60-195 bucks to me!!
July 25th, 2005 06:32 PM
texile oh man - where to begin....
i can't imagine internet access when i became a stones fan in 79.....
i would have become fossilized in front of my computer screen - and weighed about 400 pounds by 14.
some girls did for me - then i got hot rocks...
i'd start with the hot rocks collection and then branch out to really discover the albums as movements.
they're all whole (let it bleed - some girls)....but exile will get deeper with each listening, like nothing you will ever experience.
it was the last album i got because there were no identifiable songs for me - and then....slowly - it became something bigger than an album.
i'm just discovering the mysteries of this album and i've had it since 80. have fun becuase the stones epic, including the drugs, the woman etc...are all part of the deal - and its a great ride.
July 25th, 2005 07:18 PM
stonedinaustralia as for pre- Beggars, in my opinion the essential one is Out of Our Heads closely followed by their debut album

as for Beggars and thereafter - you will need them all
July 25th, 2005 07:34 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Rolling Beatle wrote:
Okay, I've only been a Stones fan since about Christmas, when I got 40 Licks. Since, I've gotten Hot Rocks and I'm going to grab Jump Back anyday now.

Ok, another "Greatest Hits" fan...

quote:
Rolling Beatle wrote:

Everything has an ending, so hurry up!

quote:
Rolling Beatle wrote:

Thanks a lot.

Try with Between The Buttons and Aftermath.

BTW, welcome to the jungle!
July 25th, 2005 07:51 PM
Rolling Beatle Well, there are no tickets available for either shows right now--I think I'll just check regularly, then decide if it's worth it to go.

Why does everyone think this will be the last tour? McCartney's still going...
July 25th, 2005 07:57 PM
Madafaka So, run and go to see the Macca's concert!
Later, tell me if something could be more boring than that.

And please, don't put Stones and Macca y the same line.
TIA!
July 25th, 2005 07:58 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Rolling Beatle wrote:
Why does everyone think this will be the last tour?

Because it's a tradition since 1972.
July 25th, 2005 08:02 PM
Rolling Beatle
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
So, run and go to see the Macca's concert!
Later, tell me if something could be more boring than that.

And please, don't put Stones and Macca y the same line.
TIA!

Wow, this is encouraging me to post on this board.
July 25th, 2005 08:14 PM
Madafaka Of course, you're more than welcome
July 25th, 2005 08:15 PM
Rolling Beatle Why the cold reception?
July 25th, 2005 08:17 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Rolling Beatle wrote:
Why the cold reception?

What cold reception?
July 25th, 2005 08:19 PM
Rolling Beatle
quote:
Madafaka wrote:

What cold reception?

Being a jerk about the Beatles. I know if a Stones fan getting into the Beatles went onto one of my forums, I wouldn't act that way towards them.
July 25th, 2005 08:21 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Rolling Beatle wrote:
Being a jerk about the Beatles. I know if a Stones fan getting into the Beatles went onto one of my forums, I wouldn't act that way towards them.

I'm not a jerk, is just my opinion.
Beatles was Lennon. Lennon died. Everything else, is $$. That's it!
Btw, that's still my opinion.

"Don't judge me to harshly"
July 25th, 2005 08:25 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Everything else, is $$. That's it!

You're talking about the Stones now?

July 25th, 2005 08:27 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

You're talking about the Stones now?

At least, they're in this world!
July 25th, 2005 08:33 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
At least, they're in this world!

So? I like most Beatles-songs as well. The Stones/Beatles-war-crap is old, too old for young people like you and me man! And anyway, it was just a publicity stunt. The guy is a big Beatles-fan, we all have our preferences, even outside of the Stones. I know I certainly have. You have too I think.

I take it you're not too fond of the Beatles-music then Madafaka??
July 25th, 2005 08:37 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Eh, don't worry, most folks are cool with everything on this board. People have opinions and aren't afraid to express 'em!

I happen to like McCartney. Heard his new single? It's actually quite good.
July 25th, 2005 08:42 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

So? I like most Beatles-songs as well. The Stones/Beatles-war-crap is old, too old for young people like you and me man! And anyway, it was just a publicity stunt. The guy is a big Beatles-fan, we all have our preferences, even outside of the Stones. I know I certainly have. You have too I think.

I take it you're not too fond of the Beatles-music then Madafaka??

YOU like most Beatles songs my princess, not me!
I agree, the Stones/Beatles war is old, but I'm not fighting about what is the better one, and mainly, I'm 28, I'm not into that you call "young people"
There are opinions! I don't hate Beatles, but if I could choose between Beatles and Stones... Well, you know the answer.
I listen a lot of music outside Stones, but I have just 3 cds of Beatles. I'll tell you more, I have more cds of David Bowie than Beatles!
Can I still breathing?
July 25th, 2005 09:34 PM
Scottfree Once you get the flavor of the studio albums, it's time to take the leap to what the Rolling Stones are, a live band, and it's where they completley separate themselves from the Beatles... Get yourself some soundboard boots, 72, 78, 81 even some more modern years such as 89 & 97 there's some good stuff......Also do youself a favor and get something called Stripped Companion.....
[Edited by Scottfree]
July 25th, 2005 10:47 PM
pdog
quote:
Rolling Beatle wrote:

Do you think this will be the last Stones tour?

Thanks a lot.

How close are you to Soldier Field. Take your $60.00 and go down there if you can. If you can hook up with some of the folks from here and other boards they can show you how to get tix outside. It's always easy and cheap at the big shows. Many things can happen from someone stuck with an extra or scalpers shitting their pants right before the band hits the stage.
Last tour, there'll never be a last tour. They'll play until they die! You should have the same kinda luck at the UC show. I know your young and probably haven't ever tried the buying tix at the show thing. Alot of the old times have and at soldier field you will get a ticket for a good price. After you've done this once, you're a pro. No one in Chicago at soldiers field that night, who wants to get in will be left outside. You also have more options, box office day of show. Stones always release tix day of show. Some cool people from the boards may get stuck with an extra, and would love to help out a cool new fan rather than sell the ticket to a stranger or a middle man who will buy low and re-sell it and not care who the band is.
Seek and you will find.
Trust me now, thank me later!
July 25th, 2005 11:52 PM
Rolling Beatle I really want to share this experience with my father...I think that if I'm going to any show at all, it'll be United Center.

Soldier Field show isn't on the best day--my girlfriend's birthday party is probably that day. So if I'm going to any of them, it'll be UC.

Thanks for the advice, though.
July 25th, 2005 11:59 PM
pdog
quote:
Rolling Beatle wrote:
I really want to share this experience with my father...I think that if I'm going to any show at all, it'll be United Center.

Soldier Field show isn't on the best day--my girlfriend's birthday party is probably that day. So if I'm going to any of them, it'll be UC.

Thanks for the advice, though.

I'm flying back to Philly in October to go to a show with my dad. I feel you! Maybe you can do the B-day party and the show... Talk her into spending some of that gift money. It would be a blast. Keep asking us old timers about the best ways to get tix out front of the show. If you can hook up with some at a show, I know there's many who will help you out!
You're a cool kid. Dad must be proud, very proud!
July 26th, 2005 12:04 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Heh, it's funny. I joined this board when I was sixteen and had just gotten into the Stones after being obsessed with the Beatles (the user name is a tip of the hat to the old Beatles poster that lists them as "The savage young Beatles!"), right before the last world tour. I went to see them with my father, scoring scalper tickets on the day of the show. Now I'm nineteen (when did I get so old?) and watching the cycle continue...

Gawrsh, pretty soon I'll be "TheSavageWorkforceReadyXyzzy..."
July 26th, 2005 12:05 AM
Rolling Beatle Would you say it's better to see them at a stadium than at an arena?
July 26th, 2005 12:25 AM
parmeda
quote:
Rolling Beatle wrote:
Would you say it's better to see them at a stadium than at an arena?

If you are from the Chicago area, and you have never seen the Stones...get your fanny out to Soldier Field (with your father & your girlfriend!) on September 10th. It's true that you will be able to find affordable tickets that day, but you must get there early and feel out the possibilities.

You need to experience the huge spectical and everything that goes along with it, first hand.

Trust me, my first Stones show was at Soldier Field 27 years ago and I haven't missed one in that stadium since...

Your life will never be the same.

You will thank me on September 11th.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)